Team Kairiky

This is a team I have made. It's gotten reasonable success, mainly against friends, I don't ladder much any more. The basis of this team was to use balance and resistances to set up a sweep with Machamp. However, this team is certainly capable of sweeping without Machamp, as I have shown in numerous battles. Without further ado, I present:
Team Kairiky

Metagross @ Lum Berry
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 HP/236 Atk/12 Def/8 Spd
Adamant nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Explosion
- Bullet Punch
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
LeadGross is hands-down the best lead in the business. It has 135 Attack, the highest base Attack stat outside of Ubers, and 130 Defense, giving him great bulk as well. Base 80 HP isn't great, but one can have worse, and with maxed out HP, I reach a total stat of 364, which definitely is nothing to laugh at. On the weaker side of the spectrum, I still have a respectable 90 base Special Defense, giving me 216 with no EV investment, which is actually only 3 less than Vaporeon's max Defense of 219 (with a neutral nature). 236 EVs Adamant gives me an Attack Stat of 401 overall, which is absolutely amazing, not something I want to face. Stealth Rock is the main point of this set, and with a Lum Berry, getting down Rocks is what I do best. The Berry helps against leads like Roserade or Smeargle, who want to sleep me first turn, allowing me to get Rocks down early on. Earthquake helps me get fellow Steel-types, and annoying leads like Heatran and Infernape, which are problems. Bullet Punch is good priority to kill the sashers, and I resist most forms of Priority myself. Explosion is a last-ditch move that is be the most powerful attack in the metagame, barring Snorlax's Selfdestruct, which actually does a little more. If I'm in trouble, I can switch out.

Celebi @ Life Orb
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 232 HP/36 Spd/240 SAtk
Modest nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Leaf Storm
- Recover
- Thunder Wave
This is possibly the single greatest set I have seen during my time playing OU, hands down. Celebi is a great Pokémon in general, with good typing and great rounded base stats of 100 each, meaning that Celebi is not weak in any particular area. This particular Celebi set focuses on bulk and power. 232 HP EVs gives me 399 HP, which allows me to have at least reasonable bulk on both sides of the spectrum, despite my lack of investment in the defenses. 240 Special Attack EVs with a Modest nature get me to 325 SAtk, which is much more powerful than what people expect of Celebi, even offensive Celebi. 36 Speed EVs give me 245 Speed, allowing me to outspeed Jolly Tyranitar, as well as KO with Leaf Storm while it wants to set up on me. Thunder Wave is a great move to his Pokémon as they're coming in, allowing me to easily outspeed all the Pokémon wanting to capitalize on one of my weaknesses. The Ground-types that switch into Thunder Wave are hit by Leaf Storm, and the Grass, Bug, and Steel-types that like Leaf Storm are hit by Hidden Power Fire. Heatran completely and utterly walls this Celebi, but every Pokémon has a counter, so that's to be expected. Recover allows me to remove whatever damage I've taken from hits, as well as whatever damage I've taken from my Life Orb. The paralysis from Thunder Wave also greatly helps Machamp.

Tyranitar (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 4 HP/252 Atk/252 Spd
Jolly nature (+Spe, -SAtk)
- Crunch
- Superpower
- Pursuit
- Stone Edge
Tyranitar is one of the most monstrously powerful Pokémon in the OU metagame. With 134 base Attack, he's tied with only Dragonite for the third-highest Attack in the OU Metagame, only one point below Metagross and Salamence, each at 135. Tyranitar is easily the most bulky of these four Pokémon, with 100 base HP and 110 base Defense helping his cause. His 100 base Special Defense is boosted by the sandstorm he creates, giving him very good special bulk. His base 61 speed is a letdown, but with his power, a Choice Scarf allows him to be fast and bulky, and still have power, something almost undeard-of. Crunch is my most reliable move, having 120 base power with STAB, and a chance of a defense drop even without STAB. While Stone Edge is more powerful, it may miss, and so should not be used unless necessary. Superpower is a great hit n' run move, forming a combination with Crunch that very few Pokémon resist. Pursuit allows me to get opponents who are running away, usually because they can't do shit.

Starmie @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 4 HP/252 Spe/252 SAtk
Timid nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Ice Beam
- Trick
- Surf
- Thunderbolt
Starmie is one of the original, first generation, Pokémon, and one of only four OUs in Gen I that is still OU today. Starmie is also one of the fastest Pokémon in the game outside of Ubers. With 115 Speed, it's behind only Weavile, Jolteon, Ninjask, and Aerodactyl. 100 Special Attack isn't too shabby, making it a reliable user of powerful Special Attacks. A STAB Surf will deal with many Pokémon, and is resisted by very, very few Pokémon in OU. Ice Beam and Thunderbolt combine to hit everything that Surf does not for at least neutral damage. Trick allows me to cripple somebody by giving them a Choice Scarf, usually a big wall like Blissey.

Heatran (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 4 HP/252 Spd/252 SAtk
Naive nature (+Spd, -SDef)
- Earth Power
- Explosion
- Fire Blast
- Hidden Power [Ice]
Heatran is a very good all-around Pokémon. 77 base Speed is decent, outspeeding Metagross and Tyranitar, among others. 91 HP isn't amazing, but 106 Defense and Special Defense paired with decent HP like that actually gives it more potential bulk than Bronzong. However, Special Attack is where Heatran's true strength lies. 130 Special Attack is equal only to that of Gengar and Magnezone in OU, and no OU Pokémon has a higher base Special Attack. With a Life Orb, I can fool Salamences switching in on Earth Power into thinking I have a Scarf, and trying to get in a Dragon Dance. It also provides more power than Choice Scarf, and since ScarfTar is a better answer to my Latias weakness anyway, power = good. Fire Blast is an amazing STAB move, hitting many types in OU with its power. Earth Power can hit Steel-types that resist fire, such as other Heatran, as well as Fire-types and Electric-types, like Infernape and Joleton. Hidden Power [Ice] hits the Dragon-types, like Salamence and Dragonite. Explosion is just a very powerful, last-ditch move when there's a Pokémon that's causing me trouble.

Machamp (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: No Guard
EVs: 128 HP/252 Atk/128 SDef
Adamant nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Bulk Up
- Dynamicpunch
- Payback
- Stone Edge
And now we come to Machamp. Machamp is extremely powerful, at 130 base Attack, and has decent bulk with 90 HP, 80 Defense, and 85 Special Defense. Its speed is a bit of a letdown, but that's fine. No Guard allows me to always hit with moves that otherwise would miss, an excellent skill in the Pokémon world. As such, Machamp's favorite move to use is Dynamicpunch, which has a 100% confusion rate, but is never used because of its 50% accuracy. However, with No Guard, it always hits, and therefore Confusion is immenent. Payback hits the Ghost-types and Psychic-types that wall Dynamicpunch, and Stone Edge hits the Flying-types that wall Dynamicpunch. I tweaked the EVs a little, because I felt speed was unnecessary. I took those EVs and put them in Special Defense for a bulkier spread, the one you see now.

I see a huge DDMence weakness here. If it gets a DD under its belt, it's GG.
Outrage OHKOs 3 of your pokemon and earthquake hits the other three.
Even scarf-gon can sweep your team, as you only have one resistance to quake, who especially hates taking repeated U-turns.

I recommend taking out your lead Metagross for a lead Swampert, who can survive anything a +1 Mence can do and kill it with ice beam.

Tyranitar doesn't seem to be doing much, so I recommend a CB Scizor over it, who can revenge kill Salamence with its bullet punch.

Snorlaxe

2 kawaii 4 u
is a Top Contributor Alumnus
You really don't need Starmie as a Rapid Spinner on your team, and here's why; you say that Starmie is used to clear away Toxic Spikes which are bad for Machamp, and yet when on earth is a Roserade going to get the chance to set up Toxic Spikes against your Metagross? Gross can just take the Sleep Powder with Lum Berry and then Bullet Punch the next turn to cleanly KO Roserade anyway. Also, Spikes aren't going to be set up unless you play poorly, because Heatran can just come in on any Skarmory or Foretress and spam Fire Blast. Same goes for Stealth Rock; Metagross can comfortably stop a great portion of leads from setting up Stealth Rock, and even then nothing on your team really cares about Stealth Rock that much. So what I would do is replace Starmie with a MixMence. MixMence is a fabulous partner for Machamp, as along with CBTar it basically takes down all of Machamp's counters, leaving it clear to sweep. It also gives you a secondary Ground resist, which helps because you currently have one measly resist and three weaknesses. Anyway, use a set of Draco Meteor | Earthquake | Fire Blast | Outrage, an EV spread of 16 Atk | 240 SpA | 252 Spe, and a Naive nature with a Life Orb.

Your team also looks like Dragon Dance Salamence can be a pain for it; the only thing that I can see that would fix this is possibly going for a Life Orb over Choice Scarf on Heatran (while keeping the same moves). The main reason to do this is because ScarfTran really doesn't check anything for your team that your other members don't already handle, barring Swords Dance Lucario. While getting rid of Choice Scarf would somewhat open your team up to Lucario, Crunch Lucario are getting more and more rare lately, and as such Celebi can often stop it with Hidden Power Fire if need be. Also, if you chose to use MixMence, he can switch around with Intimidate to nullify Luke's boosts. The main reason to ditch ScarfTran is because if Mence gets in on Earth Power and sets up a DD, it's basically gg for your team unless he locks himself into Outrage and has Heatran kill him with HP Ice. It's not a "fix" per se to your DDMence weak, but it's the best I can do without changing up your team more than you would probably care to have it changed.

I also strongly disagree with other raters posting above me saying to ditch Metagross and go for a Swampert lead; while yeah Swampert would help you with your Dragon Dance Salamence problems, it would also change up your team a lot. The whole point of you using that Metagross set is to anti-lead in a way while still getting down Stealth Rock. If you use Swampert, then you will not be able to beat even close to as many leads as you can beat with Metagross, which in turn will open you up to loads of potential lategame threats. Also, if you lose Metagross for Swampert, you would only have one Dragon resist, and in a metagame dominated by Life Orb Latias and Salamence's Draco Meteors, the last thing you want is having a tough time switching in on them.

Hey PoleLover44,

Nice team you got here looks really good overall, but we could fix some stuff. On your lead Metagross you explain that Meteor mash is an amazing stab move, but you don't really explain how it works on some leads, currently Heatran totally walls that Metagross set at all cost. There's a lot of leads who resist Steel for example, Jirachi, Metagross, Heatran, Bronzong etc. But how you can fix some of your problems is replacing Meteor Mash with Earthquake and you'll be able to deal with most leads.

Now the Offensive threats that I see on this team that could be horrifying for you is Dragon Dancing Salamence. It can totally tare your team apart with ease, What I recommend you to do to fix this problem is changing Starmie up a bit. Since you don't need a rapid spinner since if you include Starmie, half your team resist Toxic spikes and it really isn't a problem. You might want to try ScarfStarmie, can be very useful it's a really awesome revenge killer and it takes care of your Dragon dancing problems. So you might want to change the EVs up a little bit and try this new moveset:

Starmie @ Choice Scarf
Nature: Timid
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Moveset: Surf, Ice Beam, Thunder Bolt, Trick

Now how due to Starmies high speed which is already 361 with the choice scarf it brings you up to 541 which means you can outspeed most deadly threats with either Choice Scarf or +1 on speed. The other person most likely won't be getting a sweep on this, Now the explanation to the set, Surf is your strongest stab move, usually good with dealing with Pokemons like Infernape, Heatran and Tyranitar. Thunderbolt is usually for Gyarados other kinds of Starmies or any other types of Bulky waters, which shouldn't be a big problem at all due to your Tinkerbell Celebi. Ice beam as explained above is for Salamence, Dragonite and Flygon any kind of Dragons even if they have +1 it won't be doing a great chunk of damage at all. Lastly I chose trick at of the other 4th Slot move because you can either stop a sweep that you can't stop with your current moves or just to screw up any wall like Blissey or Vaporeon etc.

On Tyranitar you might want to switch your item because what I see is that Specs Latias could be doing major damage to your team and you don't really need to Choice band at all since all your physical attacks are Strong enough but what they lack is Speed for example Machamp only reaches 146 speed with no EVs and neutral nature, that won't be helping you much at all. So the best resort I have to give you is definitly changing Tyranitar into a simliar variant Choice Scarf rather then Choice band,which makes you outspeed many Dark weak things without a Choice Scarf like Latias, Starmie, Rotom Appliance, Gengar etc. So here's the new Spread and nature you might want to be trying out: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe Nature: Jolly The other thing that's a little nitpick is changing Aqua Tail into Earthquake since you're not using Choice Band at all anymore it won't be useful against walls like Hippowdon. So what you can change it to which your current Tyranitar set lacks is Aqua Tail into Earthquake with Earthquake you'll be able to hit Steel types like Heatran, Lucario, Jirachi, Metagross really hard.

The other reason I changed Tyranitar into Choice scarf is because what I see that Snorlaxe said but he did a different method of changing it. I wanted to replace your Choice Scarf Heatran into Life orb because if you're stuck on a Earth Power, that opens Salamence up to get a possible Sweep on your team by Dragon Dancing, but we got Starmie for that. Also if I also change Heatran into Life orb, makes your team weak to Lucario, but I fixed that and made Tyranitar into Choice Scarf so you won't be worrying about Lucario doing anything damaging to your team. So back to the change I recommend you changing Heatran into Life orb so you won't be getting into much trouble with things trying to setup on you. Now a minor nitpick to also add on to that Heatran is to replace Hidden Power Ice, since you won't be worrying about Dragons anymore into Hidden Power Grass, reason being you can deal with some Bulky waters and the best point I bring Hidden Power Grass up is to Deal with a common Heatran counter which is Swampert, so that threat out of the way.

Good luck in the future and hoped my analysis helped.

Alright, I'll test everything out, including rates I've gotten on other sites. I'm thinking maybe giving Heatran a Shuca Berry, allowing it to beat other Scarftrans one-on-one, and survive a +0 Mence Earthquake. If Mence sees that Heatran has a Life Orb it will go for the kill right away, instead of setting up.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)