Team: Manifestation! [OU RMT]

Manifestation!!

He's coming for you...​

Some of you may or may have noticed that I haven't posted a RMT in quite some time. Well, this is because I have been using this team the entire time, and to some ridiculous success. The purpose of this team is to help set up a sweep with one of the best Pokemon in the entire metagame; Heatran. For starters, Heatran has the second highest special attack in the OU tier, only behind Alakazam and Porygon-Z, both of which are too frail to base a team around of. Heatran also sports brilliant typing that nets him only three weaknesses (fighting, ground, and water). Let's also not forget the fact that his ability, Flash Fire, gives him an immunity to one of the most commonly used attack types in the game, fire, and his steel typing gives him resistances to normal, steel, and even dragon type attacks. All of these things combined make Heatran a very difficult monster to take down, and an even more difficult monster of defeat. So, to start with my team, I knew I wanted Heatran in here.​

Doesn't he look so fearsome?​

After I had picked my main sweeper, I knew I needed a lead that could help support him. I began to think for a moment; what can counter, or at least wall, Heatran? The most obvious choice was Blissey. I figured one of the best ways to shorten Blissey's walling abilities was to lay toxic spikes on the field. I wanted to get spikes and toxic spikes on the field as soon as possible. I considered a few options:​

A rose, a spinny metal thing, an iron bird, and a frozen ghost?​

I looked over each of my choices. Froslass was out pretty quickly simply due to the fact that it can't do much, and it's killed way too easily by a decent Scizor player. Skarmory seemed like a decent choice but it really has never seemed like it does much other than lay spikes and whirlwind. Roserade can be a great lead with it's good attacking power and ability to use sleep powder and toxic spikes. Forretress can also be great however, being able to lay both types of spikes, spin them away, and beat Rotoms one-on-one with Payback. I went with Roserade because the Sleep Powder seemed pretty appealing to me.​

Also, can you say perfect synergy?​

After that, I knew any team that tried to lay a lot of entry hazards down needed a spin blocker. There are only three ghost types available for OU that are very bulky at all, and these are Dusknoir, Spiritomb, and Rotom-A. Of these three, Dusknoir just isn't a very good Pokemon at all, and the pursuit weakness without any decent resistances knocked him out pretty fast. Spiritomb can be pretty good with its typing that leaves him weakness-less, but he can't really counter anything outside of that. In the end, like pretty much everybody else nowadays, I chose Rotom.​

A flower, an oven, and a volcanic god of death,​

At this point I began rethinking. I started looking at my three team members and kind of thought, "do I really want to use another team slot for a member that only lays spikes?" While Roserade seemed like a fantastic lead, I started to second guess myself. I eventually switched Roserade around with Forretress.​

Sorry Roserade. :'(​

This seemed like a pretty good line-up to base my team off of. I knew I didn't want Forretress setting up all three entry hazards up all by himself, so I wanted someone else to be putting of the rocks. I didn't want to waste a moveslot on Heatran with Stealth Rock because I want him to have as many attacks to use in sweeping as possible. I weighed my options here. There were a couple Pokemon in particular that seemed good choices for laying Stealth Rock:​

Ohmigawd, the evolution of Mudkipz D=​

Frankly, these two both seemed like excellent choices for my team. Swampert could lay rocks and is one of the best counters for Tyranitar in existence, and he can phaze pretty well to boot. Metagross, however, can be an tanking god and can explode when he's done. I knew I wanted someone on my team to be able to explode; it's simply a good thing to have on a team. I still wanted something that could wall a lot of attacks though, so I was leaning towards Swampert. However, I figured Metagross could run a fairly defensive set, right? I picked Metagross, not only because he can explode, but he's yet another option against those pesky Outraging Salamences and Draco Meteoring Latiases.​

Damn girl, you is lookin' fiiiine.​

I immediately noticed a pretty big weakness to annoying Pokemon such as Mixed Infernape, MixMence, Specs/Scarf Latias, and especially Dragon Dance Gyarados. Rotom can cover a few of these threats, but even with all that defense he's still quite fragile due to his very poor HP. I needed something that could cover as many of these threats as possible. I picked my favorite Pokemon with basically my favorite set ever. Her name is Latias.​

The spiker, the blocker, the tank, the stopper, the sweeper.​

I really wasn't entirely sure where to go from here. I couldn't see very many glaring weaknesses in my team...I honestly thought I had covered a lot of the metagame. I knew I wanted a phazer and a status absorber, but how could I mix both of those things into one Pokemon? Oh wait, RestTalk Gyarados.​

Oh yeah.​

And with that, team Manifestation was born. I still remember a long time ago when I went out with this team for the first time and absolutely demolished twenty one battlers in a row. I've grown to love this team to death, but it's about time I retire it. I will admit, one of my goals on Smogon is to get a RMT thread 5-starred and archived. Maybe this could be the one to do it?​

Now, my friends, let's go a little in-depth:

Forretress
  • Item: Leftovers
  • Nature: Careful
  • Ability: Sturdy
  • EVs: 252 HP | 4 Atk | 252 Sp. Def
  • Moveset:
    • Spikes -- A fantastic move. While it only hits Pokemon that are on the ground, it can severely dent them. With three layers of spikes, Pokemon like Scizor have a very hard time coming in repeatedly on my team.
    • Toxic Spikes -- Another very good move. This hits even less than Spikes hits, with steel Pokemon being completely immune. However, it makes Pokemon like Infernape and Blissey extremely less threatening.
    • Rapid Spin -- Forretress is one of the best spinners in my opinion. He's bulky enough to take a few hits while he spins, and he has access to the move I'm about to present next that lets him take on the most common spin blocker with relative ease.
    • Payback -- Oh, Forretress. Once we all realized you could use Payback, you became so much better to us. When you come in and try to spin away those nasty Stealth Rocks and Rotom comes in, you can simply let him hit you and then get complete revenge on it. That Rotom will think again after it's demolished by this spinny balls' payback.
  • Description: Forretress is one of the best leads in this metagame, in my opinion. He's extremely bulky, making it very hard to kill him. Let's take a quick glance at how he fares against the most commonly used leads:
    • Azelf - I lose usually, as lead Azelf often carry either Fire Blast or Taunt, both of which are not good for Forretress.
    • Metagross - Win very easily. The worst he can do to me is explode, and even that isn't going to do much. Usually I got two or three layers of spikes down AND I get to spin away his rocks.
    • Jirachi - Just stay in and use spikes. If he tricks a scarf onto me, who cares? It's not like I had plans of using Forretress for anything else anyway, and that's good for me because that means he can't trick the scarf onto a different member like Gyarados.
    • Swampert - Oh I win easily. Three layers of spikes and his rocks gone.
    • Aerodactyl - This thing sucks. I'll usually just switch to Latias as he taunts and I'll just work with what I got from there.
    • Infernape - Make a quick escape to Latias.
    • Hippowdon - I get lots of spikes, he gets nothing but sand. All he can do is use Roar.
    • Ninjask - I'll usually throw down a layer and let him think he's getting a lot of boosts. Then I switch to Gyarados and laugh in his face.
    • Bronzong - Switch to Gyarados to see what I'm up against. I don't want Forretress to be taking a sleep here. If he's Hypnosis-less, I get lots of spikes.
    • Roserade - Let Gyarados take the sleep. Switch back to Forry and set up as many spikes as I can while he wastes two turns throwing up Toxic Spikes that everybody on my team is immune to.
As you can see, Forretress wins against most common leads, making him an excellent choice for my team.

Rotom-H
  • Nature: Bold
  • Ability: Levitate
  • EVs: 252 HP | 168 Def | 88 Spe
  • Moveset:
    • Thunderbolt -- A basic STAB move on Rotom. It deals pretty good damage against anything that doesn't resist it, and, of course, it maims Gyarados.​
    • Overheat -- Rotom-H's signature move. This move absolutely demolishes stupid Scizor and Lucario. While Rotom doesn't have the highest special attack, this still does massive damage against anything that is weak to fire.​
    • Substitute -- The interesting part of this set. I don't see many non-Charge Beam Rotom's using Substitute, and I'm not sure why. Substitute gives Rotom an excellent opportunity to be safe from pursuiting Tyranitars and it gives me an excellent shield to hide behind so Blissey's don't poison me.​
    • Shadow Ball -- Another basic STAB. It's lovely to be under a sub and get Gengar's with these. Very lovely.​
  • Description: Rotom-A is the best spin blocker in OU, period. It's typing gives it crazy awesome resistences and immunities that allow it to counter all kinds of things, and it's bulky as a god, making it near impossible to defeat. My particular set makes it a good way to stall out Blissey and to get more spike damage on things as it causes a lot of switches.​

Metagross
  • Nature: Careful
  • Ability: Clear Body
  • EVs: 252 HP | 40 Def | 216 Sp. Def
  • Moveset:
    • Meteor Mash -- A great STAB move on Metagross. Even though this set is defensive, if I get a lucky attack boost with this I can even sweep my opponent, which is pretty delicious.
    • Earthquake -- At full health, this Metagross survives a +2 Close Combat from Lucario and OHKO's with Earthquake. This guy isn't my answer to Lucario, but I'm just saying. Earthquake is simply a good coverage move to have.
    • Stealth Rock -- Metagross's main mission is to lay these babies down. With all my hazards down, the opponent is going to have an extremely difficult time beating me.
    • Explosion -- I'm sure we all know what this does. Even without attack EVs, Explosion from this guy absolutely tears through pretty much anything that's not rock or steel typed.
  • Description: I designed this Metagross set to lay down rocks and take as many hits as possible. The moves allow Metagross to dish out some pain on anything that deserves it, too. Even without attack EVs, Metagross still sits at a very respectable 306 attack, and with an attack boost from Meteor Mash, I can even sweep teams. Explosion is the ultimate move that let's me go out with a bang.

Latias
  • Item: Choice Scarf
  • Nature: Timid
  • Ability: Levitate
  • EVs: 4 HP | 252 Sp. Atk | 252 Spe
  • Moveset:
    • Draco Meteor -- Um, ouch. A 210 base power move coming off of 319 special attack with a type that is only resisted by steels. Someone is going to get hurt here. This also allows me to destroy Dragon Dance Salamence or Dragonite, if anyone uses those anymore.
    • Surf -- This is my go-to move when I'm up against an Infernape or Heatran.
    • Thunderbolt -- Gyarados can't sweep my anymore. Vaporeon is no longer a nuisance. Must I continue?
    • Trick -- The fun part of this set. Any form of wall is basically ruined, and I could possible get leftovers or some other useful item in the process.​
  • Description: Without Scarf Latias, my team would have major problems with things like Salamence, Gyarados, and Infernape. Scarf Latias is an amazing revenge killer, and once it's done killing things, it can trick it's scarf and permanently cripple something else.​

Gyarados
  • Nature: Impish
  • Ability: Intimidate
  • EVs: 252 HP | 252 Def | 4 Sp. Def
  • Moveset:
    • Waterfall -- Gyarados's main form of attacking. Even without any attack EVs, Gyarados can hit a lot of things pretty hard with this.
    • Rest -- This move allows Gyarados to recover any loss health and rid itself of any status effects.
    • Sleep Talk -- While Gyarados is an dreamland, he can continue to pound things with waterfalls and make these run away with his roaring.
    • Roar -- My phazing move on the team, and Gyarados utilizes it very well.
  • Description: The best status absorber and phazer in the game, in my opinion. This guy is such a defensive beast. He is the ultimate stopper of Lucario and can take Scizor Bullet Punches and U-turns like no other. He can phaze pretty much any stat upper and heal all his health away when he's done.

Heatran
  • Nature: Timid
  • Ability: Flash Fire
  • EVs: 4 HP | 252 Sp. Atk | 252 Spe
  • Moveset:
    • Fire Blast -- Heatran's main STAB move and an extremely powerful one at that.
    • Earth Power -- Mostly a coverage move; it hits nearly everything Fire Blast can't.
    • Substitute -- My favorite part of this set. Heatran causes so many switches, it allows him to set up a substitute that really helps him with sweeping and to avoid paralyze that can seriously dent my sweeping abilities.
    • Hidden Power Grass -- This is a very important move to this set. Without it, Heatran would be walled to death and destroyed by the likes of Starmie and Swampert and Vaporeon. With this, all of them are either killed in either one or two shots.
  • Description: This bad boy is what inspired this team. This guy can sweep a lot better than you may be thinking. He boasts massive special attack and enough speed to outpace various slow threats. He can beat Blissey easily with Toxic Spikes up, especially if Earth Power nets a lucky special defense drop. His moveset hits pretty much everything but the flying dragons for neutral, and those are taken care of by the rest of my team.

And that's my team in a nutshell. Rate it, everyone!

Looking at the lineup at first makes it seem like it's almost unstoppable, but that's where my statement kicks it : 'at first'. Some of these Pokémon become so redundant that even if you use the secondary or tertiary sets, they become easy to read (Sub Heatran is actually easily predictable than you think). But at least that Roaring Gyarados is a genius.

One thing that's very doubtful about this team is that a wallbreaker can take advantage of the frequent switching. Just look -- only 2 Pokémon here resist the attacks of a wallbreaking Salamence, and if the opponent is smart prediction would be easy. (since even if Salamence makes the mistake of using Fire Blast on Rotom or Heatran, it can counter respectively with a Meteor/Outrage or EQ, and if you do use Trick you might just be empowering it instead).

Also a possible Pokémon to crash this party would be Lanturn. I was thinking again that Lanturns are good walls on many ends, and what more that Lanturns love RestTalking and are usually Sp.Def based. Heatran might be at risk of its Surf, Gyarados obviously wants to avoid it, Rotom can't do anything to it except Shadow Ball, Forretress would want to explode in front of it. From what I see the. Wait, Latias takes care of those... o_O

Not much to say really since this team's a bit flooded with OUs and I'm not really a good un-themed battler.

haunter

Banned deucer.
Hello,

your team seems really solid. The first thing I noticed is that you're going to have massive problems with Magnezone, especially the sub-magnet rise variant. It can comfortably come in on Forretress, set up a substitute and mgnet rise up (meaning that Metagross can't touch it), and then you'll lose your spiker and spinner in the very first turns of the battle. I'd give your Forretress shed shell to allow it to escape from Magnezone, and mainly, to prevent Maggy from setting up on it.

Secondly, although your sub-Rotom is ok, I'd suggest to make it a standard sleep talker with a set of: rest, sleep talk, thunderbolt, will o wisp. STAB thunderbolt is enough to scare off Scizor, and WoW will take care of TTar, which, with your current moveset, you can barely scratch. Rest-Talk allows Rotom to last a lot more, and to counter Gyarados effectively. It also allows your spin blocker to stay around for almost the whole match.

If you decide to change Rotom's set as I suggested, then you'd gain a reliable status absorber too, so I'd suggest to replace Gyarados with Gliscor:

Gliscor@leftovers
nature: jolly
EVs: 252 HP / 40 Def / 216 Spe
-earthquake
-roost
-u-turn
-knock off / stone edge / stealth rock

Gliscor still does an excellent job at countering Lucario, but has a reliable recovery move, and mainly allows you to counter DD TTar, which may be quite a pain with Metagross under 70% of its health. Note that I slashed SR in the last slot because I think that you may give Metagross pursuit: your Meta is bulky enough on the special side to take unboosted hits from Gengar and Latias, and since life orb Gengar looks like it may give you some troubles (you can't do much other than revenge kill it with Latias), having a safe way to get rid of it is something you may want to consider.

Finally, I'd really like a Vaporeon on this team, maybe over Heatran:

Vaporeon@leftovers
nature: bold
EVs: 188 HP / 252 Def / 68 Spe
-surf
-roar
-wish
-protect

This pokemon would provide an excellent mixApe counter (Latias is not going to last long with all the Scizor and TTar around) and would support the team with wish. Roar would prevent things like SD Scizor from setting up on it and is an excellent move to have, with entry hazards on the field. Note that this suggestion stands mainly if you decide to add Gliscor over Gyara.

Hope this helps.

Good luck!

Thanks for the rates guys.

And yes, Magnezone is a total, total bitch >___>

Shed Shell on Forretress sounds great. I'm lovin the Vaporeon set to replace Gyarados, and it even allows me to pass wishes to the rest of my team. Great advice, Haunter.

I find your team very weak to the standard Lati Zone featuring Scizor teams. Scizor pursuits your Latias which is Scarf and defensiveless. Maggy traps your Forrey and Metagross (I'm aware you have EQ on Gross but they can just weaken it into Magnezone range or just sac Maggy to weaken your Gross). CM Refresh Latias shits on the rest of your team. You can't even take advantage of Pursuit and Maggy because Latias shits on your counters to those 2 (you sub with Heatran on Pursuit and HP Fire can't touch Latias, you sub with Rotom on Tbolt and Latias can just Calm Mind as you Shadow Ball and set up).

Shed Shell Forrey can be used but it's easy to just pound away at it until it dies (without Leftovers) since Latias doesn't care about Spikes. I think the Metagross slot is where we can deal with Latias. Either put Pursuit on Metagross (which works over Mash as your Latias counter) or change it to a Scarf Jirachi perhaps. Or a Tyranitar with SR and Pursuit which actually seems like a good idea since Forrey is weak to fire and Tar resists it so we can get up Spikes and SR very fast.

Hope some of this advice helped and hope I wasn't too harsh. It's a very good start for a team.

Hello,

your team seems really solid. The first thing I noticed is that you're going to have massive problems with Magnezone, especially the sub-magnet rise variant. It can comfortably come in on Forretress, set up a substitute and mgnet rise up (meaning that Metagross can't touch it), and then you'll lose your spiker and spinner in the very first turns of the battle. I'd give your Forretress shed shell to allow it to escape from Magnezone, and mainly, to prevent Maggy from setting up on it.

Secondly, although your sub-Rotom is ok, I'd suggest to make it a standard sleep talker with a set of: rest, sleep talk, thunderbolt, will o wisp. STAB thunderbolt is enough to scare off Scizor, and WoW will take care of TTar, which, with your current moveset, you can barely scratch. Rest-Talk allows Rotom to last a lot more, and to counter Gyarados effectively. It also allows your spin blocker to stay around for almost the whole match.

If you decide to change Rotom's set as I suggested, then you'd gain a reliable status absorber too, so I'd suggest to replace Gyarados with Gliscor:

Gliscor@leftovers
nature: jolly
EVs: 252 HP / 40 Def / 216 Spe
-earthquake
-roost
-u-turn
-knock off / stone edge / stealth rock

Gliscor still does an excellent job at countering Lucario, but has a reliable recovery move, and mainly allows you to counter DD TTar, which may be quite a pain with Metagross under 70% of its health. Note that I slashed SR in the last slot because I think that you may give Metagross pursuit: your Meta is bulky enough on the special side to take unboosted hits from Gengar and Latias, and since life orb Gengar looks like it may give you some troubles (you can't do much other than revenge kill it with Latias), having a safe way to get rid of it is something you may want to consider.

Finally, I'd really like a Vaporeon on this team, maybe over Heatran:

Vaporeon@leftovers
nature: bold
EVs: 188 HP / 252 Def / 68 Spe
-surf
-roar
-wish
-protect

This pokemon would provide an excellent mixApe counter (Latias is not going to last long with all the Scizor and TTar around) and would support the team with wish. Roar would prevent things like SD Scizor from setting up on it and is an excellent move to have, with entry hazards on the field. Note that this suggestion stands mainly if you decide to add Gliscor over Gyara.

Hope this helps.

Good luck!
While I do agree with you about gliscor (in some terms) Trading Heatran away is basically taking the core of this team away.

I also Gotta agree with you on pursuit Meta. Useful in many ways.

Finally, you have no wish or stats support. while gyarados kinda gets rid of the stats problems you'll be facing wish support would be good for this team.

Jolteon might be annoying for this team. Shadow Ball and Thunderbolt alone is enough to take down half or more of your team. If it has Specs, your Pokemon that take neutral damage (Metagross and Heatran) might not hold up against it, certainly not if it is hitting you on the switch and then having another turn to pound on you. If it is more support based, Thunder Wave will wreck your Latias. Not to mention that if the player predicts a Thunderbolt from either Rotom or Latias, that he can heal Jolteon while also getting a free turn to possibly Sub or something a bit more uncommon like Agility and Baton pass it to something Deadly (Gyarados certainly won't come in with Jolteon around to try and Phaze). Jolteon would be less of a threat with Toxic Spikes down, however if your opponent gets rid of Forretress before he can lay them down or if your opponent gets that Rapid spin off on something besides Rotom, then you're gonna have issues stopping it alone. Not that many OU teams run Jolteon compared to other Pokemon, but it's certainly a threat to this team.

A big problem this team might face is ScarfZone as someone mentioned earlier. If your opponent doesn't like the lead matchup they have or they wanna take a early shot at you, they can switch in their Scarfzone and kill your Forretress after it sets up either one layer Spikes or Toxic spikes. Now you've lost a full pokemon while only accomplishing one layer of Spikes. Not a worthwhile trade IMO. That and ScarfZone will outspeed Metagross and Heatran and kill them off when they are weakened. Your only Pokemon that can reliably threaten it is Rotom, and if you switch him in it's easy to predict the Overheat that is coming and switch out.

Dugtrio, while fairly uncommon, will give your more powerful Pokemon troubles. You can consider Heatran as good as gone if Dugtrio comes in safely and you don't have a sub up. Metagross after he is weakened slightly will also have issues, especially yours since you fortified it's Special Defense instead of its Defense. Without Metagross or Heatran, your team is gonna lack the firepower to overpower the other team. Your team at that point might be able to stand up to the other team Defensively, but it's not gonna be able to pound back offensively enough to win.

Basically, have a more reliable counter/deterrent for Magnezone and maybe have a Pokemon with a good Priority move.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)