Team Movepools

Valmanway

My jimmies remain unrustled
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Approved by The Eevee General

In this metagame, Pokemon are allowed to share moves with a teammate. For example, if Thundurus and Greninja are on the same team, then Greninja can have Thunderbolt, and Thundurus can have Ice Beam. But there are two rules to follow: First, Pokemon that can share movepools are only allowed in pairs of two. For example, Greninja and Thundurus can share the same movepool, but can't share it with other teammates, so Greninja can't have Spore from Breloom and Thunderbolt from Thundurus at the same time, though if it's just Greninja and Breloom sharing movepools, then that's fine. The second rule to this is that movepools can only be shared based on the team formation, with slots 1&2, 3&4, and 5&6 being able to share movepools, so for example, only slots 1 and 2 can share, but 2 and 3 cannot. This is to make approaching a Pokemon easier, and not so luck dependent. Also, moves that are shared can still be used by the original user, so if Greninja gets Thunderbolt from Thundurus, then Thundurus can still use Thunderbolt. One more thing, the Pokemon doesn't have to have the move in their moveset for a teammate to use it, so if Breloom isn't using Giga Drain, then Greninja can still use it.

Some clauses/bans:
Standard OU banlist applies
Sketch can't be given to other Pokemon (For obvious reasons)
Shell Smash can't be given to other Pokemon (This would be on every team, and would be centralizing as all hell)
Extreme Speed can't be given to other Pokemon (I had a horrid thought of Mega Pinsir with this, and seeing Extreme Speed everywhere would make the metagame very centralizing and not fun)
Boomburst can't be given to other Pokemon (Insert generic "Sylveon and Porygon-Z always get Boomburst" joke)
Kyurem-B is banned (Giving him near anything would be pretty dangerous. Ice Punch, Ice Shard, Dragon Dance, Flare Blitz. I could go on, but you get the idea.)
More bans may arise somewhere down the road, but we'll cross that bridge when we get to it.

A list of interesting combos I thought up:

Keldeo + Volcarona; Keldeo gets Quiver Dance, Giga Drain, and Fiery Dance, while Volcarona gets Hydro Pump and Secret Sword

Gyarados + Bisharp; Gyarados gets Knock Off and Sucker Punch, while Bisharp gets Dragon Dance, Waterfall, and Earthquake

Zoroark + Almost Anyone; Zoroark's Illusion will create heavy mindgames for the opponent, as Zoroark and the Pokemon it looks like can have the exact same moves, making it extremely difficult to tell the two apart, not to mention that Zoroark has good moves for a teammate to borrow, including but not limited to: Flamethrower, U-turn, Pursuit, Nasty Plot, and Focus Blast, while Zoroark has the stats to make use of whatever offensive options he receives

Magnezone + Dragon-type; while the Dragon-type doesn't really get much of an improvement unless they're a special attacker, Magnezone can get Flamethrower or Earth Power to really trash Steel-types with, thus making DragMag a powerful strategy

Latios + Heatran; Latios gets Flamethrower and Earth Power, while Heatran gets Roost

I could go on, but I'll leave the rest to your imagination.

Last edited:
The first thing to come to my mind was Mega Absol.
Absol has a beautiful movepool, with support move like Wish, Will-o-Wisp, and Magic Coat, and special moves like Ice Beam, Thunderbolt, and Fire Blast. But it really appreciates a legal Knock Off and Play Rough combination. A great deal of Pokémon of various types can pass Knock Off (or Play Rough) to it and still benefit as much themselves. Some that I thought of:

Ferrothorn: Ferrothorn most notably gains Wish and Will-o-Wisp, giving it semi-reliable recovery and the ability to burn physical attackers. Besides Knock Off, Ferro can pass Stealth Rock and/or Spikes to Absol, making it an interesting offensive hazard setter if you choose.

Tornadus(-t): Tornadus, like most special attackers, appreciates Absol's huge special movepool, gaining things like Ice Beam and Thunder to use in rain. It can also pass U-Turn to Absol, making it a fast, hard hitting, pivot.

Mandibuzz: Mandibuzz. With Will-o-Wisp. Yeah. It can give Absol Defog, which is Untauntable with Magic Bounce. It can pass U-Turn, too.

Gengar: Gengar can take advantage of Absol's special movepool while also passing the elemental punches and Drain Punch.

Gliscor: Gliscor can make use of Will-o-Wisp while also passing Earthquake, U-Turn, and Defog to Absol.

As usual, I'm going to assume that Kyurem-B will get the boot very quickly. If all these OMMs have taught us something, is that with a movepool boost that thing is broken and gets sent back to ubers where it belongs.

Talonflame @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Belly Drum
- Acrobatics
- Flare Blitz
- Drain Punch

+6 252+ Atk Talonflame Flare Blitz vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Filter Mega Aggron: 361-427 (104.9 - 124.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+5 252+ Atk Talonflame Acrobatics (110 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Landorus-T: 388-457 (101.5 - 119.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+6 252+ Atk Talonflame Drain Punch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Mega Tyranitar: 564-668 (139.6 - 165.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 252 HP / 160 Def / 96 SpD
Calm Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Soft-Boiled
- Moonblast
- Taunt

Also, a Gothitelle set with Taunt/Rest/Acupressure/Attack could be fun.

Last edited:
Plz consider banning boomburst immediately. thank you.

Anyway Slaking gets U-Turn to be able to hit hard and switch out (so does forretress) It also gets skill swap
Regigas gets Shift gear or Dragon Dance(with an option of recover for this one) or Belly Drum as well as getting protect see above for else
Luxray and Zebstrika get major movepool additions if you pair them up with something like metagross or snorlax.

Victini @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Victory Star
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Ice Beam
- V-create
- Bolt Strike
- U-turn

Kyurem-Black @ Choice Band
Ability: Teravolt
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naughty Nature
- V-create
- Bolt Strike
- Outrage/Earth Power
- Ice Beam/Earth Power

Is anything safe from this duo?

canno

formerly The Reptile
Kyu-B + Snorlax OTP

Kyurem-Black @ Leftovers
Ability: Teravolt
EVs: 56 HP / 252 Atk / 200 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Ice Punch
- Earthquake
- Roost / Fusion Bolt
- Substitute

Snorlax @ Leftovers
Ability: Thick Fat / Immunity
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Roost
- Refresh / Crunch
- Body Slam
- Whirlwind

Pretty simple - Snorlax provides Ice Punch and EQ to Kyurem-B while Kyu-B grants Snorlax roost. The Sub Attacker set is the best one for this imo so it can fully abuse its new coverage. Didn't know what to do with Snorlax, so I just slapped stuff together that I thought would work.

Another idea is Mamoswine + Kyu-B. Kyu-B getting Icicle Crash, Ice Shard, and EQ seems spooky. Mamo doesn't get much out of it thought outside of Roost. Maybe it can use Fusion Bolt for Rotom or something idk.

Now i have to pair Gengar and Absol Zoroark Pory-Z to get Gengar the move it deserved for almost 15 years:

NASTY PLOT.

"To steal the life of its target, it slips into the prey's shadow and silently waits for an opportunity."~Silver Entry

If that Isn't Plotting something nasty then i don't know what it!

If i pair Shuckle and Kyu-B, Shuckle Gets Roost and Endeavor. Oh crap.
Then Kyu-B gets Earthquake, and lolrocksmash. Not the best tradeoff.

Forretress+Sableye. And people said it was the devil before.

Last edited:
So I realized something today...
BELLY DRUM UNBURDEN HITMONLEE AND HAWLUCHA DO. NOT. TAKE. NAMES.

+6 252+ Atk Hitmonlee Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Skarmory: 460-543 (137.7 - 162.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+6 252+ Atk Hitmonlee Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 244 HP / 28+ Def Gliscor: 321-378 (91.1 - 107.3%) -- 43.8% chance to OHKO
+6 252+ Atk Hitmonlee Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Groudon: 460-543 (113.8 - 134.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+6 252+ Atk Hitmonlee Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Giratina: 554-654 (110.1 - 130%) -- guaranteed OHKO

+6 252+ Atk Hawlucha High Jump Kick vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Skarmory: 417-492 (124.8 - 147.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+6 252+ Atk Hawlucha Acrobatics (110 BP) vs. 244 HP / 28+ Def Gliscor: 456-537 (129.5 - 152.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+6 252+ Atk Hawlucha Acrobatics (110 BP) vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Giratina: 394-465 (78.3 - 92.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
+6 252+ Atk Hawlucha High Jump Kick vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Groudon: 417-492 (103.2 - 121.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Hitmonlee has more power and priority to take out or severely wound revenge killers, but worse coverage, while Hawlucha has a potent secondary STAB but a riskier primary STAB. Your choice.

My avatar gets a movepool, Black Kyurem gets Ice Punch, Scizor can get Gear Grind and/or Pin Missile, Heracross gets Icicle Spear, Charizard X gets Shift Gear...
Oh, the possibilities. I like this metagame.

Another simple, yet effective pair is Kyurem-B + Mamoswine.
Kyu-B gets Superpower, Earthquake and a plethora of physical Ice moves, while Mamo gets Roost and Fusion Bolt to punish water types without resorting to Freeze Dry.

Landorus @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 252 SpA/ 252 Spe/ 4 HP
Timid Nature
- Earth Power
- Ice Beam
- Fire Blast
- Focus Blast/ Sludge Wave/ Psychic

Absol @ Absolite
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 252 Atk/ 252 SPe/ 4 HP
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- U-Turn
- Play Rough
- Knock Off

Amazing Coverage+Sheer Force and Magic Bounce+Stealth Rock+U-Turn...
Volcarona will be a good partner for nearly every special Attacker thanks to Fiery Dance and Quiver Dance, Mew can pass Moves like Nasty Plot, AUra Sphere, Ice Beam or FIre Blast, Klingklang, KyuB and co. finally have a godd Movepool and Unown will be awesome with Coverage.
This Meta sounds awesome:3

So I realized something today...
BELLY DRUM UNBURDEN HITMONLEE AND HAWLUCHA DO. NOT. TAKE. NAMES.

+6 252+ Atk Hitmonlee Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Skarmory: 460-543 (137.7 - 162.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+6 252+ Atk Hitmonlee Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 244 HP / 28+ Def Gliscor: 321-378 (91.1 - 107.3%) -- 43.8% chance to OHKO
+6 252+ Atk Hitmonlee Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Groudon: 460-543 (113.8 - 134.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+6 252+ Atk Hitmonlee Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Giratina: 554-654 (110.1 - 130%) -- guaranteed OHKO

+6 252+ Atk Hawlucha High Jump Kick vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Skarmory: 417-492 (124.8 - 147.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+6 252+ Atk Hawlucha Acrobatics (110 BP) vs. 244 HP / 28+ Def Gliscor: 456-537 (129.5 - 152.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+6 252+ Atk Hawlucha Acrobatics (110 BP) vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Giratina: 394-465 (78.3 - 92.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
+6 252+ Atk Hawlucha High Jump Kick vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Groudon: 417-492 (103.2 - 121.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Hitmonlee has more power and priority to take out or severely wound revenge killers, but worse coverage, while Hawlucha has a potent secondary STAB but a riskier primary STAB. Your choice.
Just pair Lucha up with Azu to get B-Drum and K-off

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)