Team No-Status (or, The Team that Subs), an OU 4th Gen RMT

Team building process:

OK, I wanted a team based around Agility-Z, so that's where I started.

Now, I needed some good teammates for it, so I asked around, and got the answer: Tyranitar and Magnezone.

Now, I needed a lead, and I figured Azelf was a good choice, as I know it likes having a Magnezone on the team.

I figured that I needed a spinblocker to prevent my Rocks from being blown hither and thither. I thought Gengar, as my team seemed to be taking an offensive tilt.

Now, I needed a revenge killer, and I thought I would try out ScarfGon, as my good friend ShinyAzelf had been singing its praises for hours.

After a while, Azelf just wasn't pulling its weight, and so on the suggestion of Blazin Kickin Chicken, I moved TTar to the lead spot, and replaced her spot with a Suicune.

Now, enough of the boring discussion of the building process, on to the RMT!

The Lead

Tyranitar@Lum Berry
Careful Nature
EVs: 252 HP, 24 Att, 232 SpD
-Rest
-Payback
-Stealth Rock
-Stone Edge

This is a TTar lead, it does its job. Its EVs are to survive a Roserade's Leaf Storm, take it to its Sash
with Payback, and KO with Sandstorm. This is not a suicide lead, so Rest+Lum Berry is to get some
quick (OK, so TTar is slow, but you get what I mean...right?) recovery in.

Type synergy: Fighting attacks go to Gengar, Ground attacks, the same, Bug attacks do likewise,
Grass attacks go to Gengar, and Water attacks to Suicune.

The Reason You're Reading This

Porygon-Z@Leftovers
Modest Nature
Ability: Adaptability
EVs: 132 HP, 252 SpA, 124 Spe
-Tri Attack
-Hidden Power [Ground]
-Ice Beam
-Agility

IMO, Porygon-Z is THE special attacker of 4th Gen. EVs are to max out Special Attack, outspeed
something after an Agility, and the rest are dumped in to HP for survivability. I use Adaptability
over Download because I suck at prediction, and Adaptability is much more reliable (a
lot of people run the extra point in SpD on the off-chance there's a P-Z with Download lurking). Tri
Attack is there to obliterate anything that doesn't resist it, Ice Beam is for coverage, and HP Ground
is there to obliterate any Heatran brave enough to stay in. Leftovers are there to negate Sandstorm
which is commonly there due to TTar.

Type synergy: Fighting attacks go to Gengar.

The Steel Trapper

Magnezone@Leftovers
Timid Nature
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 40 HP, 252 SpA, 216 Spe
-Substitute
-Magnet Rise
-Thunderbolt
-Hidden Power [Fire]

Magnezone is there to trap Steel types, though mostly for Scizor, and is the first of three Pokémon
that know Substitute on my team. Thunderbolt gets STAB, obviously. Magnet rise is to prevent Flygon
and Heatran from revenge-killing me if I have a Sub up, and for general protection from Ground
attacks. HP Fire turns Scizor into :toast:, and (hopefuly) murders anything that resists/is immune
to TBolt.

Type synergy: Fighting attacks go to the same places as P-Zs, Fire attacks go to Flygon and TTar,
Ground attacks go to Flygon and Gengar.

The Other Sweeper

Suicune@Lefties
Timid Nature
EVs: 4 HP, 252 SpA, 252 Spe
-Hydro Pump
-Calm Mind
-Ice Beam
-Hidden Power [Electric]

Despite being a fallen star of the ADV generation, Suicune is an explosive Pokémon. Suicune makes a
damn fine CMind sweeper, and is THE bulky water. Infernape (partly) and Heatran aren't a problem,
as this Poke walls them both, though Ape less so.

Type synergy: Grass attacks go to Gengar, and Electric goes to Flygon.

The Spin-blocker, and Back-up Sweeper

Gengar@Life Orb
Hasty Nature
EVs: 4 Att, 252 SpA, 252 Spe
-Explosion
-Energy Ball
-Shadow Ball
-Focus Blast

My spin-blocker, and back-up sweeper, as the title should suggest. This is a baiting Gengar, and is
my teams answer to Blissey. If Blissey comes in, it gets an Explosion to the face (or, as shofu of
Youtube would say, it "GETS HIT WIT ALLA DAT!"). Energy Ball makes quick work of Swampert, who
might otherwise cause my team troubles. Finally, Focus Blast obliterates 4/0 Heatran.

Type synergy: Ghost, Dark, and Psychic attacks all go to TTar

The Revenge Killer

Flygon@Choice Scarf
Adamant Nature
EVs: 252 Spe, 252 Att, 4 SpD
-Earthquake
-Outrage
-U-Turn
-Thunder Punch

The classic revenge killer, Flygon makes taking out threats like SupeRachi, +1 Gyarados, and the like
a breeze. Outrage and Earthquake are for STAB, U-Turn is to scout, and cause insane damage to Psychic-
and Grass-Types like Shaymin and Starmie and TPunch catches the 4x hit on Gyarados. Adamant is to be
obtuse, cause more damage, and because I always lose the speed tie anyways (I swear that the RNG cursed me).

Type synergy: Ice and Ground both go to Magnezone.

Just to recap the team, here it is:

Thanks for reading this far, I hope you review, and don't be afraid to criticize.

The Revenge Killer

Flygon@Choice Scarf
Adamant Nature
EVs: 252 Spe, 252 SpA, 4 SpD
-Earthquake
-Outrage
-Stone Edge
-Thunder Punch

The classic revenge killer, Flygon makes taking out threats like SupeRachi, +1 Gyarados, and the like
a breeze. Outrage and Earthquake are for STAB, SEdge is a coverage move, forming the infamous
Edgequake, and TPunch catches the 4x hit on Gyarados. Adamant is to be obtuse, cause more damage,
and because I always lose the speed tie anyways (I swear that the RNG cursed me).

Type synergy: Ice and Ground both go to Magnezone.
I think you meant Atk, not SpA. I'm also pretty sure you meant Dragon, not Ground for your type synergy. Switching in a Magnezone to a ground attack is a very bad idea :P

What do you do against Bliss if it forces one of your Special attackers to switch out and it uses Toxic?

Mamoswine also looks like a potentially big threat to this team with Earthquake and Ice Shard.

Why not use basically any other Dragon as a Scarfer instead of Flygon? If not using U-Turn practically the only thing it has over Chomp is Levitate, less speed and less power. Try a ScarfChomp out instead, I think you'd appreciate the power.

Christ, do people not read the title? This is a fourth gen team.
Also, to other raters, if you see a problem then figure out a way to fix it. Don't just say 'mamoswine is a big threat' and leave it at that.

Anyways, hi, I generally don't like Porygon-Z but you seem to have made a quite successful team with him, so props on that. I think I can help make the team a bit better though.

Now, SubSplit Gengar is a great set and all, but it isn't a guaranteed 100% way of beating Blissey, especially if it carries Ice Beam/Flamethrower. Basically if you kill stall's Blissey you sweep them with P-Z; so I'd recommend using 4 attack Explosion Gar, which is an incredible Bliss lure+killer. The set is:

Gengar @ Life Orb
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SAtk / 252 Spe
Trait: Levitate
Hasty Nature (+Spe, -Def)
- Shadow Ball
- Focus Blast
- Explosion
- Energy Ball

Now, Energy Ball seems unorthodox, but the rest of your team has an incredibly hard time killing Swampert, and this gives you a surprise kill on it nearly every time. Explosion obviously smashes Blissey, who will never expect it. Now, I know you don't like Focus Blast's accuracy, but its power is necessary, especially since you get KOs on Pokemon such as non-SDef Heatran with it.

I noticed that on your Flygon, you are not carrying U-turn, which is one of the main reasons to even use ScarfGon in the first place. ThunderPunch and Stone Edge serve the same role, but with different power. If you're an accuracy guy, drop Stone Edge for U-turn, but if you want more power drop T-Punch. Glad to see someone else running Adamant ScarfGon as well.

On P-Z, you basically need Life Orb. It's a sweeper, it has to hit as hard as possible, especially because you're not boosting its SAtk through Nasty Plot.

Looking at the rest of your team, Azelf seems incredibly out of place. A suicide lead is nearly never a good choice, especially on bulky offense like this. I'm also noting that you lack a bulky water, which is practically necessary in today's game thanks to the popularity of Heatran and Infernape. So I have the suggestion of making Tyranitar your Stealth Rock lead (the decreasing popularity of Machamp and the increasing popularity of Heatran is good for this) and utilizing Offensive Suicune over the spot your Ttar previously took. The sets are:

Tyranitar @ Lum Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 24 Atk / 232 SDef (defeats Roserade, isnt KO'd by Leaf Storm, brings it to the Sash with Payback and finishes it with sandstorm)
Trait: Sand Stream
Careful Nature (+SDef, -SAtk)
- Stealth Rock
- Payback
- Stone Edge
- Rest

Suicune @ Leftovers
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spe
Trait: Pressure
Timid Nature (+Spe, -Atk)
- Calm Mind
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Hidden Power [Electric]

Just some things to consider. Good team and good luck.

@hoiboy: Fire Blast on a physical set is pointless, but thanks

@thecooltodd: Thanks a lot ^^ I wouldn't have noticed that.

@Benlisted: This is a FOURTH GEN TEAM. Please read the title before rating. If it wasn't Uber, I would use ScarfChomp in an instant.

@Blazin Kickin Chicken: Thanks, I'll try using the alterante Pokes/sets. However, with P-Z, LO is misplaced on this team, especially with TTar as the lead. I take at least 22% after the first attack, and 34% if they have Rocks or one layer of Spikes. I'll stick with Lefties.

Thanks to everyone for noticing the typos in the description.

Hi there :)

Okay, to start, this isn't a bad team. It's got decent synergy and I it carries out your strategy pretty clearly.
However, there are a number of pokemon which you can't deal with, especially if they're used on the same team:

-Lucario (Agility) = Pretty simple, this OHKO's your whole team bar Suicune and easily sets up on lots of it.
-Starmie = You just have no answer to this thing, and I can't actually see what you can do without destroying your synergy except for U-turn on Flygon.
-Machamp (Sub+3 attacks) = Once it gets a Substitute something is going to die every time, and after its killed off Gengar it can simply spam DynamicPunch and do insane damage.
-Breloom = Kinda the same as Machamp. Gengar gets 2HKO'd by Seed Bomb variants with SS and SR easily. Again, it sets up easily and will kill something every time it comes in, probably more.
-Metagross (Agility) = AgiliGross is the worst type. If you can't double switch Magnezone in as it switches into play, you're basically screwed. It narrowly 2HKO's Suicune with either ThunderPunch or Zen Headbutt, and outspeeds and OHKO's everything else.
-Stall = Your implemented change of Explosion Gengar helps a bit, but unfortunately, most stall teams don't use Blissey to check Gengar due to the SubSplit set. Toxic Spikes destroys Porygon-Z and Suicune, two crucial members, as well as Tyranitar. Meanwhile, if you can't take Blissey out with Gengar, you really can't get past stall at all.
Shaymin = And other Grass types. You NEED U-turn on Flygon.

----

The main change I'd like to suggest would fix most, though not all of these problems, although I can't see it being detrimental in any way. Try a Bulky Taunt Gyarados over Suicune. Intimidate and its Flying type allow you to work around the Fighting types you have problems with, while letting you beat AgiliGross with good prediction using Intimidate. With Taunt it also makes a deadly sweeper which should help you with stall to an extent (it also has the benefit of not being susceptible to Toxic Spikes).

The last thing which you absolutely need to do is change Stone Edge to U-turn on Flygon. Please don't say anything about anything if it has the effect of suggesting U-turn shouldn't be on that set. Stone Edge + ThunderPunch is fairly redundant anyway, but U-turn is the most valuable move on ScarfGon. This also lets you deal with Starmie and Celebi (and Shaymin to an extent).

Give both those changes a go, they should help out your team substantially. Good luck!

@bubbly: On your suggestion of using TauntRados to check AgiliGross with Intimidate, might I remind you of Clear Body? It nullifies Intimidate.

Thanks for the rate though, and I'll test Gyara.

On Suicune, you still have the picture for TTar, I would change that. Also, you should try CroCune, Suicune with Rest, Sleep Talk, Calm Mind and Surf.

Eeek sorry Tomtom, always forgetting Clear Body. Oh well, I still think Gyarados should be the better option.

The thing that concerns me at first glance on this team is that you have three fighting weaknesses (half your team) and your protection from fighting moves is the incredibly unbulky gengar. If machamp predicts a switch and uses stone edge rather than dynamic punch, then Gengar's going to take 69.1% - 81.7%, which puts you in bullet punch range. If you're building this team on Wi-Fi then I understand, but I really think a rotom form would be better here. I also like Bubbly's bulkydos suggestion.

@iwbtg: CroCune is more stall based, this is more bulky offense.

@LBS: Why would a Machamp EVER use SEdge on a Magnezone, P-Z, or Flygon? It's bulky enough to endure any hit but an Explosion, SelfDestruct, or an SE attack, and easily retaliate.

If anyone wants me to replace Magnezone with something that doesn't know Substitute, NO.
good rates are ones that help people beat threats without compromising the team's purpose; even better rates are ones that improve the execution of the team's purpose without compromising its ability to deal with threats
Replacing the final Subbing member of my team would compromise my teams purpose. If you don't see how, look at the title.

Also, I'm TESTING GYARADOS RIGHT NOW. If I like it, I'll replace Suicune. If not, I wont. Please, don't suggest it again.

Sup, rating as requested.
The big problem I see are fast offensive fighting types,such as SD Infernape, SD Luke, or even Machamp- of course, then i realized that you've been asked over and over to use Gyarados, and that's exactly what I think you should be using, so I won't go into that.

But with that out of the way, I don't think that any big changes are necessary so I'll just nitpick some sets.

First up, Tyranitar. You may want to try using Earthquake over Payback. I know that sounds strange but it's going to be useful for some key reasons- It can OHKO annoying offensive Heatran leads and, more importantly, it will help you in dealing with WishCM Jirachi, a Pokemon that can easily sweep this team. You don't lose much in terms of leads (you can still hit Roserade, just up the EVs to 126 in Atk) and obtain some QuakeSlide coverage. Something to think about.

Next, Porygonz needs LO. Leftovers don't do anything for it since it's already extremely frail, so you really want as much power as you can get. It already dies quickly, and more likely than not it won't be dying from LO damage, it will be dying because something with priority nails it- passive damage is the least of your concerns, and without the LO you don't have the power you need to sweep.

That's all the advice I got, solid team. I hope this helps!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)