Team Victory: The Schemes of Lucario

I have here a fairly straightforward offensively-oriented team, designed to quickly rip apart enemy defenses and go for a win. This idea mandates that my primary mid-game attackers shouldn't be any kind of set-up sweeper; while I still feature strong set-up moves on the team, they are rarely brought in until fairly late to perform cleanup. To start things off, here's the team at a glance:

The attacking core of the team is formed by Metagross and Latios, who together wield ferocious power that can walk over essentially any wall. I rely on them to deal damage for the majority of a match, as they're often capable of severely damaging even things that resist their attacks. Crustle, Suicune, and Dragonite play the role of support, but each has the ability to do damage in its own right. More detail is given on how these Pokemon function in their descriptions. Lastly is Lucario, who comes in to clean up the mess and finish the game.

And yes, there's no Victini on Team Victory.

Crustle (F) @ Mental Herb
Trait: Sturdy
EVs: 196 HP / 252 Atk / 60 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Stealth Rock
- Spikes
- X-Scissor
- Stone Edge

Crustle is a valiant suicide lead, who occasionally manages to escape with his life. Mental Herb guarantees that no Taunter will stop me, although against many Taunt users Crustle can fight back. X-Scissor hits Deoxys-E and Whimsicott leads hard, while Stone Edge will make Tornadus or Thundurus think twice. Taunt Gliscor leads are more or less untouchable with only 95 base attack, but Crustle is then free to at least get up Stealth Rock, and often a layer of Spikes or two. Even against Fake Out leads such as Mienshao, Crustle can survive long enough to put down SR; Mienshao Hi Jump Kick with Life Orb won't kill after Fake Out, and Ambipom and Infernape aren't doing a whole lot better. Crustle can sometimes return later in the game when paralysis is rampant on the opposing team and clean things up, but this is pretty rare. If Crustle makes it past the opening stages of the game, he turns out to be a surprisingly decent switch-in to Ferrothorn, able to wear it down with X-Scissor and taking minimal damage from Gyro Ball.

Lucario (M) @ Air Balloon
Trait: Inner Focus
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Nasty Plot
- Aura Sphere
- Dark Pulse
- Vacuum Wave

Lucario was essentially the founding member of this team; his already excellent special sweeping capabilities have been powerfully augmented by Nasty Plot. If I manage to NP even once, Lucario will almost always take down several Pokemon. Because of his excessive frailty I tend to save him for late in the game, when I can comfortably rely on Vacuum Wave instead of having to take chances with fairly middling Speed. Modest is used to give extra power in the absence of Life Orb. Speaking of Life Orb, Air Balloon may seem like an odd choice but this means that Lucario makes an exceptional switch into Excadrill and sand teams in general; Lucario is 2HKO'd by a +2 Rock Slide from Excadrill and will comfortably OHKO in return with Aura Sphere. Even without HP Ice, Dark Pulse can often 2HKO Gliscor.

Latios (M) @ Choice Specs
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Draco Meteor
- Surf
- Dragon Pulse
- Hidden Power Fire

Latios is a vital part of the offensive core behind this team. With Choice Specs he's capable of absolutely demolishing almost anything not named Blissey. On the topic of Blissey, Psyshock gives me a convenient way of eliminating the pink blob from the match. The only problem this set runs into is Ferrothorn; I have thought about running Hidden Power Fire over Dragon Pulse, but Draco Meteor hits so hard despite the resistance that Ferrothorn is usually not able to switch in too many times. Latios is simply free to hit and run, as Ferrothorn itself is not particularly threatening offensively.

Metagross @ Choice Band
Trait: Clear Body
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Bullet Punch
- Meteor Mash
- Earthquake
- Pursuit

Metagross is part 2 of the big offensive hard-hitters of the team. Adamant nature and 252 Atk EVs brings him up to a whopping 405 Attack before Choice Band boost. Even heavily defensive walls like Forretress will have a rough time taking Earthquake or Meteor Mash. Pursuit makes Metagross an excellent switch-in to all manner of Psychic types, particularly Reuniclus who won't OHKO with Focus Blast unless it has several boosts. Bullet Punch becomes more helpful as the game wears on, allowing Metagross to clean up weakened Pokemon, or whittle them down so that Spikes/SR will get them the next time they switch in.

Dragonite (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Multiscale
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SDef / 4 Spd
Careful Nature
- Thunder Wave
- Dragon Tail
- Substitute
- Roost

The fairly unimpressive speed tiers on this team (bar Latios) are certainly apparent. Because of this, Dragonite's paralysis support is absolutely essential. By slowing down speedy sweepers like Infernape, Dragonite opens up a pathway for sweeps from Metagross and Lucario. Dragon Tail is very useful alongside Crustle's Spikes/SR, as the layer damage accumulates quickly and will give my team the safety of relying on priority. Substitute and Roost simply allow Dragonite to last as long as possible, giving him as many chances as he can get to spam Thunder Wave all over the opposing team.

Suicune @ Leftovers
Trait: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SAtk
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Scald
- Calm Mind
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

Now taking the place of Gliscor, I'm running a Suicune set in place. Suicune does an excellent job taking Ice-type attacks from all sorts of Pokemon (particularly Ice Shard users like Mamoswine and Weavile). Rest and Sleep Talk give Suicune the ability to handle numerous repeated switch-ins, and it also gives it an important job as a status absorber on the team. The ability to switch into Thunder Wave and Will-o-wisp is greatly appreciated; in particular, Suicune loves taking Metagross' place when a burn is coming in. Calm Mind means that Suicune can engage quite happily in stall wars against other non-boosting defensive Pokemon, although it can't stay in against Leech Seed Ferrothorn. It also gets into a PP war with Sigilyph, which is quite a pain.

I would appreciate any comments or suggestions you have about this team. Although I've had more success with it than I think I should given that I'm not an especially good player, I can tell there is still room for improvement. Thanks everyone for reading my post. :)

nice team, exept you have a huge ice weaknesss.
the only pokemon on your team that can take a hit from a ice attack is metagross. once lucario is gone, mamoswine sweeps your team.

Consider a bulky Suicune set over Gliscor. It has the bulk to withstand essentially any Ice attack and, if running CroCune, can even handle Thundurus via RestTalk + Calm Mind.
Suicune @ Leftovers
Trait: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SAtk
Nature: Bold (+Def, -Atk)
- Scald
- Calm Mind
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

Just basic CroCune. Might work well.

On Poison heal Gliscor taunt is pointless stone edge is better,
IMO anyone who takes the time to set up on Poison heal gliscor is gonna get KOed by it anyway and Stone edge gives it great coverage.

Thanks everyone for your advice. Much appreciated :) Dan-lo, I have never faced an offensive Serene Grace Jirachi so I'm not too familiar with how my team would hold up against it. Is there any change specifically that you think might help?

what's with the hardy nature on dragonite? :O
also, have you cinsidered moving the speed EVs on metagross to HP instead? i don't think you're outspeeding much with 70 base speed

Whoops dragonite had the wrong nature. I changed it to careful and put EVs in HP for metagross. Also, I put HP Fire on Latios over psyshock since I was having trouble with some steel types. I'm wondering what people think of the crustle lead.

I dont have much to say right now. The team looks solid, and im sorry that I dont have time for a proper rate. I recommend changing Dragon Pulse on Latios to Trick, Latios looks to have the purpose of taking down threats like Rotom-W, and Draco Meteor is going to be used far more often. Trick will Cripple the likes of Scizor, Bronzong, and Blissey who will try to wall it. I like the Dragonite but i recommend going to a Dragon Dance, Fire Punch, Dragon Claw, Roost set. It becomes far more threatening and with a pokemon crippled by specs, you will have a fairly easy time finding time to set up.

If you're wondering about Crustle lead, think about trying Infernape instead. He's a great choice for SR leads as he's fast but can fight back.

Infernape @ Life Orb / Focus Sash
Jolly
Blaze
4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
-Stealth Rock
-Fake Out
-Flare Blitz
-Close Combat

Infernape has a large movepool so this is just one set to try out. There's a lot out there to experiment with.

I wouldn't say this team is defensivly orientated. But i can you see you might have problems with special walls. I could see a blissey/chansey dominating your team, for this reason i thinking you should switch to a physically orientated lucario. This will cause more spikes damage as well as scare away special wall such as chansey and blissey. You will also definatly enjoy the priority.

I would also consider changing your Cruste lead to a ferrothorn, since crustle is a good lead don't get me wrong but ferrothorn has overall better bulk and can set up hazards much easier. As well as hitting most common taunters hard so i don't see the need for mental herb.

Hope i hlped good luck with the team.

Lucario @ Life Orb
252 ATK 6 DEF 252 SPEED Adamant
Extremespeed
Swords Dance
Close Combat
Crunch/Bullet Punch

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
252 HP 48 DEF 210 SP DEF Relaxed
0 Spe Ivs
Gyro Ball
Power Whip
Stealth Rock
Spikes

Thanks, I'll definitely try out the ferrothorn lead. The reason I went special on lucario though is because once you set up, hardly anything can counter it. If Chansey/Blissey come in on the switch, I can 2HKO them easily with aura sphere. I'm pretty sure with Nasty Plot, it's an OHKO. No other specially defensive pokemon can really take attacks from this guy. The only switch in I have trouble with is gengar because it outspeeds and OHKOs with focus blast.

Thanks, I'll definitely try out the ferrothorn lead. The reason I went special on lucario though is because once you set up, hardly anything can counter it. If Chansey/Blissey come in on the switch, I can 2HKO them easily with aura sphere. I'm pretty sure with Nasty Plot, it's an OHKO. No other specially defensive pokemon can really take attacks from this guy. The only switch in I have trouble with is gengar because it outspeeds and OHKOs with focus blast.

A smart Bliss/Chasey user would fodder something or try and get a free switch. Gengar can be countered with bullet punch

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)