Team White Penguins - A Doubles Trick Room Team

I noticed a wee bit too late that I managed to post this in the wrong section. Please don't eat me D:
Hello, there! I suppose I should start off with a bit of background on my team and how it got to where it is. First off, I've been playing with trick room teams since around fourth generation, and since starting up with them, I've absolutely adored trick room. Prior to building up this team, I've done little in XY competitive play, and I've decided to take a twist and give doubles a whirl. This is changing up the entire strategy of trick room teams, and is taking a bit of time on my part to fully figure out, but after some playing around and tweaking, I think I'm starting to get the hang of how to play trick room in a 2v2 environment.

While I can say that I've put quite a few hours into playing this team to find its weaknesses, I've unfortunately not come across many weather teams, and that's something that I'd like a bit of feedback on with how my team will fare against said teams (although it does seem that these types of teams are becoming less common).

So, here's my current lineup:
~ Team White Penguins~
(Let's not question the team name, okay?)

~ The Lineup ~

Cider (Aromatisse) (F) @ Leftovers

Ability: Healer
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SAtk / 252 SDef
Sassy Nature (+SDef, -Spd)
IVs: 31 HP / 0 Atk / 31 Def / 31 SAtk / 31 SDef / 0 Spd
- Draining Kiss
- Aromatherapy
- Trick Room
- Reflect

With Cider's high defensive capabilities and excellent support, Cider does well hopping in both as a leader and later near endgame. With little attacking capabilities, she works really well alongside one of the major sweepers, especially Azumarill as she can heal the little water bunny while she sets up a Belly Drum / Light Screen for the sweep. She's the only member of the team that works solely as support and isn't designed to deal damage and deal it fast. With trick room teams generally designed to be fast-paced, I found that having a couple bulky trick room users (to prevent a shortage of settlers in the first place, as well as having some good support for the rest of the team) and having the rest designed to attack and attack fast would be a good start. Thus far, I haven't found anybody that was able to exploit Aromatisse's weaknesses. Virtually nothing leaves her with an OHKO, and she generally gets plenty of time to set up a few Trick Rooms, Reflect, use a few Heal Pulses when needed, and when getting low on HP, a Draining Kiss to keep herself healed. The leftovers do an excellent job with keeping her on the field as long as possible.

All in all, I really don't have much else to say about her. She's been on the team since day one, and will probably stay a white penguin 'till the end. Aromatisse's introduction in sixth generation is excellent for any trick room team.

Hurdurr (Conkeldurr) @ Life Orb

Ability: Guts
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Brave Nature (Atk, -Spd)
IVs: 31 HP / 31 Atk / 31 Def / 31 SAtk / 31 SDef / 0 Spd
- Protect
- Drain Punch
- Ice Punch
- Poison Jab

Conkeldurr serves as excellent coverage and just being an all-around hard puncher. Conkeldurr is able to utilize Drain Punch to take care of the all-annoying Mega Kangaskhan, while keeping himself healed simultaneously. His defensive bulk allows for him to often survive three hits of Brave Bird before going down, and having Aromatisse at his side with Heal Pulse allows him to stay on the field for long periods of time. His Poison Jab coverage allows for strong defense against fairies which do threaten Conkeldurr, and since most Conkeldurr sets don't run a poison move, people generally switch in their faries freely and realize only one turn later why that was a mistake.

Conkeldurr's primary weakness is his lack of Special Defense, which many Air Slash and Psychic users threaten him with. Fortunately, Ice Punch does a great job in taking care of the fliers, and I can rely on Azumarill and Light Screen when it comes to Psychic. Since Conkeldurr often relies on switchout with its teammates and also has Guts at its disposal, Conkeldurr does great in both the beginning and endgame.

Here is an example of Conkeldurr being a badass and sweeping an entire team thanks to the power of Life Orb and the healing of Drain Punch.

Floppy (Azumarill) (F) @ Sitrus Berry

Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SDef
Brave Nature (+Atk, -Spd)
- Aqua Jet
- Light Screen
- Play Rough
- Belly Drum

I always thought of my bunny, Floppy, as one of the most hardcore animals I've met. Azumarill fits the name well. With access to Light Screen to provide the much-needed special defense, Azumarill really is a team player. She works extremely well next to Aromatisse, as they can get both a Reflect and Light Screen up, Aromatisse can provide Azumarill with Heal Pulse after Belly Drum, and Azumarill doesn't even need good coverage with +6 Attack and Huge Power. She can work outside of TR with Aqua Jet, and works very well next to Amoongus due to Rage Powder (equivalent of Follow Me). Azumarill has excellent bulk, mediocre attack power which is covered by Huge Power, good STAB, and Belly Drum (and then OHKOs everything), and can help the team out (especially Amoongus), which in turn keeps Azumarill happy and on the field.

That said, Floppy does come with her fair number of drawbacks. Azumarill needs time to set up her Belly Drum and Light Screen, and it isn't uncommon for opponents to hit her with a burn to make sure she doesn't do anything too painful. To counteract this, I've changed Aromatisse's ability to Healer (most people predict Aroma Veil as the ability, so people rarely try a Taunt while she's on the field anyway) so that I can stall with Heal Pulse until the burn is cured. Fortunately, Chandelure is always there in case Azumarill is threatened with a burn, giving Chandelure a nicely boosted STAB Heat Wave. Speaking of Chandelure...

Penway (Chandelure) (M) @ Focus Sash

Ability: Flash Fire
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SAtk
Quiet Nature (+SAtk, -Spd)
- Heat Wave
- Shadow Ball
- Will-O-Wisp
- Trick Room

I honestly can't get over Chandelure's epic appearance when shiny. It's just too sweet looking, and the fact that Chandelure is appropriate for TR teams makes this that much cooler. That said, Chandelure, like any other Pokemon, has its drawbacks. Chandelure is a TR settler -- usually that means you need enough bulk to set up the TR and to last long enough to be able to launch a few attacks. In Penway's case of hundreds of games on this team, I don't recall a single event when he was able to set up two Trick Rooms in one game. Chandelure just doesn't last long. That said, Chandelure can safely be switched into to absorb any incoming burns, fake outs, focus blasts, and the like. Chandelure is a safe switchout for Amoongus (plus the free Regenerator!) and Porygon2, and is the absolute king at ruining the day of every Charizard Y in existence. Chandelure sincerely kills all fire teams with Flash Fire.

Bubbles (Porygon2) @ Eviolite

Ability: Download
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SAtk / 4 SDef
- Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam
- Trick Room
- Recover

Porygon2, who took over my previous slot of Exeggutor, provides excellent coverage and has a ton of bulk thanks to Eviolite. Having the extra ice- and electric-type attacks at the team's disposal is excellent for fending off some of Trick Room's threats, many of which are grass types that love to use Spore. The Eviolite and HP investment allows for Porygon2 to survive almost any attack that would normally leave an OHKO, giving Porygon2 sufficient time to set up a Trick Room and Recover if necessary while its partner removes the threat.

Having access to both a big chunk of bulk and Recover allow for Porygon2 to stay on the field for a long period of time, which in doubles is necessary for a Trick Room team to survive. The TR settlers need to be able to stay in the game -- if they go down before the sweepers, it's game over. Having Aromatisse and Porygon2 on the team as bulky settlers and Chandelure as a sweeper/settler allows for there to always be a settler on the field as well as keeping some offensive capabilities at my disposal. Porygon2 is excellent at buying time when it's needed as well as speeding up the pace of the battle when stretching things would be the team's demise.

Fun Guy (Amoonguss) (M) @ Black Sludge

Ability: Effect Spore
- Spore
- Rage Powder
- Sludge Bomb
- Giga Drain

He really is a fun guy to play with. Get it? Fungi? Oh, forget it. My stupid puns will get me nowhere in life. That aside, Amoonguss is new to the team, and I haven't had much time to play around with him, but the time that he has had has been phenomenal. Due to doubles not having sleep clause, Amoonguss can freely use Spore as much as he'd like, and keep himself healed with Black Sludge and Giga Drain. Rage Powder gives time for a settler to set up Trick Room (particularly Chandelure due to low defenses and a myriad of weaknesses) or for Azumarill to get her Belly Drum into action without the worry of being knocked out. He's an excellent tank against... well, anything. Porygon2 can freely switch into him when threatened by fighting-types, and Azumarill can switch to him when electric and grass are watching her. Even though his typing leaves him open to four weaknesses, he can tank almost any move and turn it into a 3HKO due to excessive bulk. When he is threatened and TR is up, he can easily put them to sleep before they're able to do anything, and his partner can usually take care of the rest. Amoonguss is likely here to stay.

~ Past Members ~

Machamp (M) @ Life Orb

Ability: No Guard
- Dynamic Punch
- Stone Edge
- Protect
- Thunder Punch

Machamp handled my fourth generation TR team very well, but with Golurk now in the picture, Machamp has fallen behind. Golurk has better coverage and a lot more bulk than Machamp, and just does the job a lot better. Maybe Machamp's evolution chain should make him evolve into Golurk?

Marowak (M) @ Thick Club

Ability: Rock Head
- Bonemerang
- Stone Edge
- Stealth Rock
- Protect

Marowak is one of those Pokemon that looks great on paper, but when put into play, just doesn't do the job as well as you'd like. Stealth Rock is always great to have, but it hasn't proved to be useful enough to keep Marowak on the team. His bulk is a bit lacking, and if I want someone of his typing, Conkeldurr is just a much more viable choice, and provides for a lot more coverage. Bonemerang and Stone Edge just don't quite cut it (no pun intended).

Exeggutor (F) @ Sitrus Berry

Ability: Harvest
EVs: 232 HP / 252 SAtk / 24 SDef
- Trick Room
- Psychic
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb

Exeggutor served her purpose, but just didn't do it well enough to compete with Porygon2. Porygon2 has excellent coverage and bulk, both of which Exeggutor lack. Porygon2 can heal at will anytime, while Exeggutor has to rely on Recycle + Sitrus Berry for healing. While Sludge Bomb was nice coverage against fairies, Psychic and Giga Drain really don't add much variety to the team, and having two x4 Bug weaknesses is never good to have.

Golurk @ Life Orb

Ability: No Guard
- Dynamic Punch
- Heavy Slam
- Protect
- Earthquake

Golurk was great while he lasted. His No Guard + Dynamic Punch combo was excellent to have, but his poor coverage made Conkeldurr outclass him. His ghost typing was too painful to have for a sweeper on a TR team (especially since he couldn't utilize the ghost type for STAB), and the weakness to ice caused a hard knockout more times than one would hope for. All in all, I loved Golurk and had a hard time giving him up, but Conkeldurr has infinitely better typing (especially where he can take advantage of his STAB), a more dynamic movepool, and much better bulk, all of which Golurk severely lacked.

Lambda (Ampharos) (M) @ Ampharosite

Ability: Static
- Thunderbolt
- Dragon Pulse
- Focus Blast
- Power Gem

I used Mega Mawile as a temporary replacement for Mega Ampharos to see if she did any better, and I haven't considered Mega Ampharos again. Mawile wins at every turn.

Meep (Malamar) (M) @ Life Orb

Ability: Contrary
- Protect
- Superpower
- Night Slash
- Psycho Cut

As one of the prime TR sweepers, Malamar was another difficult one to part with. My reasoning for getting rid of Malamar was a combination of mediocre stats and poor coverage. Malamar's only way of setting up is through Superpower, which is often too slow in stat gains to make up for Malamar's poor bulk and attack power. Malamar has faced tons of situations where all of his moves weren't effective, and then I'm left with Superpowering a few hit points per turn until Malamar is gone. Malamar is something that looks really good on paper, but in practice (and I'm talking 100+ battles kind of practice), Malamar just didn't make the cut. No pun intended.

Mawleficent (Mawile) (F) @ Mawilite

Ability: Intimidate
- Play Rough
- Sucker Punch
- Iron Head
- Swords Dance

Mawleficent, the Mawile. Magnificent, indeed. Mawile's Intimidate and typing made it great for switching around, and Sucker Punch allowed her to maneuver outside of Trick Room rather well. Mawile hasn't particularly let me down, it's more that there's a number of situations where she works really well, and all of the others, she really... doesn't. When I could make her work, she worked beautifully, but I need something reliable when it comes to bulky sweepers. Mawile isn't one of them.

Argon (Aggron) (M) @ Aggronite

Ability: Sturdy
- Iron Head
- Earthquake
- Protect
- Head Smash

Aggron, possibly my final attempt at a mega user on the team. Aggron is another one of those that looks great on paper, but just doesn't handle the battlefield as well as one would hope. As a huge target for Will-O-Wisp, Aggron winds up sitting in the back letting the burn slowly kill him off while all of my other Pokemon are swept away when he can't do anything about it. Head Smash misses far too often for reliability, and with nobody on the team resisting Earthquake, Aggron really shattered the windows of hope. I eventually gave up Earthquake for Endeavor for the cases where I don't mega evolve him due to typing (oftentimes against fire-types) and he hangs on with Sturdy, giving him the opportunity to do something useful, but at the end of the day, his bulk rarely allows sturdy to be used, and his coverage is below-average. Among the remaining slow mega users, I'm finding that Kangaskhan might be a possibility with access to Fake Out to allow for TR settling, although 100 base speed isn't the most reliable when it comes to TR. That's something I'll consider after the decision to ban Kangaskhanite in doubles is made, but Aggron certainly isn't fit to be a penguin.

~ Major Threats ~
Sylveon is a pain, but I think this is true for most teams in general. Sylveon packs a lot of defense, which is something that you never want to have to deal with when you have the Trick Room time ticking away. Sylveon often likes to pack Toxic, Protect, and Wish, and likes to stall for as long as possible. Baton Passing Sylveons are the worst, especially when they get into the battle with extra bulk.

I tend to see that a lot of non-trick room players like to have Amoonguss on their side for the sleeping aspect. Amoonguss' Spore is extremely painful, especially due to the lack of sleep clause in doubles, and Sludge Bomb threatens both Aromatisse and Azumarill. Fortunately, with an Amoonguss of my own I'm still able to safely switch in to prevent sleeping issues, but Amoonguss' extremely low speed allows it to outspeed almost everyone on my team when under the effects of trick room. Fortunately, after I adopted Amoonguss onto my own team, it has become much less threatening.

One of the big problems that come with Gastrodon is, like Amoonguss, its atrocious speed. Gastrodon makes me think twice about setting up a trick room, and unfortunately due to its typing, the only Pokemon on my team that's able to take care of Gastrodon is Amoonguss.

Whimsicott is always an interesting Pokemon to deal with. It loves to toy with you through the use of Leech Seed Taunt, and Encore, with the occasional Stun Spore (which fortunately is nerfed by TR). Fortunately, since most players assume Aroma Veil on Aromatisse, most players don't even bother with Taunt and Encore and just go for the Stun Spore, but problems arise when the see that my Stun Spore has magically healed itself. Conkeldurr is the only one on the team with a guaranteed OHKO on Whimsicott, although Chandelure can usually pull off the OHKO as well, making it not as threatening as it used to be.

Azumarill is particularly a threat due to the fact that it's a wild card. Not everyone runs the BellyJet set, but when they do, it could mean tough luck for my team. Porygon2's Thunderbolt is a 3HKO, and Conkeldurr is a 2HKO if it's eaten a Sitrus Berry after the drum (Life Orb remedies it and makes it guaranteed OHKO). Azumarill can OHKO every single one of my team members after a setup, although thanks to TR, I'm usually able to cancel the Belly Drum before it's used or stop it before it lands a +6 attack.

Hitmontop has to be the biggest pain for my team to handle. While Intimidate used to be a bigger problem when four of my team members were physical-based attackers, Intimidate Hitmontop with Fake Out loves to play the switching game. He'll stop a TR from being set up and then switch out, just to come back in four turns later to Fake Out again and intimidate... again. Killing this little guy is extremely difficult since he loves to switch out every six seconds, and when my power is diminished because of his intimidate, even BellyJet Azumarill can't stop him

Clefable, like many of the other Pokemon that threat TR teams, is threatening due to its low speed. On top of being a high choice for Baton Passing teams (which I do not handle well), Clefable is a monstrous tank, and that isn't something that you can say about many faries. With Calm Mind as one of Clefable's favorite tricks, if Azumarill isn't set up quick enough to take it out, taking it out at all may be impossible (those darn leftovers).

Cider (Aromatisse) (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Healer
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SAtk / 252 SDef
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spd
- Draining Kiss
- Heal Pulse
- Trick Room
- Reflect

Hurdurr (Conkeldurr) (M) @ Life Orb
Brave Nature
IVs: 0 Spd
- Protect
- Drain Punch
- Ice Punch
- Poison Jab

Floppy (Azumarill) (F) @ Light Clay
Brave Nature
- Aqua Jet
- Light Screen
- Play Rough
- Belly Drum

Penway (Chandelure) (M) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Flash Fire
Quiet Nature
- Heat Wave
- Shadow Ball
- Will-O-Wisp
- Trick Room

Bubbles (Porygon2) @ Eviolite
Ability: Download
Quiet Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam
- Trick Room
- Recover

I'm a Fun Guy (Amoonguss) (M) @ Black Sludge
Ability: Regenerator
Quiet Nature
- Spore
- Rage Powder
- Sludge Bomb
- Giga Drain

Last edited:
Reactions: AM
I do not have much doubles experience, I'm just going to comment on the Trick Room portion of the team. Some of my comments may not be relevant to doubles battling, so ignore those.

I do see what you mean by avoiding a speedy pokemon since your setters are mostly defensive keeping them alive for a long time, a fast pokemon comes in handy a ton especially when it can function both under TR and outside of it. On my team, I ran Adamant Landorus-T with 68 speed EVs, bringing him to a nice 235 speed, outspeeding everything below neutral base 100s. This comes in handy for (1) Bulky Intimidate&Pivoting since physical threats plague OU, and (2) Outspeeding stuff BOTH outside of TR as well as inside it. Granted this may work differently in doubles, but in singles TR is not always going to be up, so having sweepers who can function both in and out of TR is a necessity. The Lando-T set I mentioned can outspeed and OHKO Aegislash and Heatran outside of TR, as well as OHKO Mega-CHarizard Y/Volcarona under it (4 really big threats to my team at the time threats for my team). Picking the Out-Of-TR sweeper is a matter of finding what pokemon your team struggles most with, and finding something to deal with it without adding too many weaknesses.

Also, if you want something other than Exegguotor, consider Porygon2, who has enough uninvested bulk to survive a few attacks, along with access to recover to keep it healthy. With both exeggutor and Malamar you have 2 4x Bug weaknesses, which isn't good on any team really. Also as a physical sweeper consider Conkeldurr, who can wreck other pokemon even without TR support.

Lastly, consider Heal Pulse on Aromatisse in order to keep her sweeping buddy alive and healthy with that pretty high HP stat.

I do not have much doubles experience, I'm just going to comment on the Trick Room portion of the team. Some of my comments may not be relevant to doubles battling, so ignore those.
Thanks for the feedback! I've taken your advice into consideration and have been working with some changes based on that for the past few days.

Also, if you want something other than Exegguotor, consider Porygon2, who has enough uninvested bulk to survive a few attacks, along with access to recover to keep it healthy. With both exeggutor and Malamar you have 2 4x Bug weaknesses, which isn't good on any team really
I can definitely say that I'm more satisfied with Porygon2 than with Exeggutor. I used to have Porygon2 on a singles Trick Room team in gen four, and had little luck with it, so I hadn't really bothered to give it a whirl in doubles, and it actually fares very well with it. The Thunderbolt + Ice Beam coverage adds a lot of good variety to the team and helps take care of those pesky dragons, and access to Trick Room and Recover has proven to be very useful. The bulk is also a huge help.

Also as a physical sweeper consider Conkeldurr, who can wreck other pokemon even without TR support.
I gave this one a shot in place of Golurk, and I definitely can't say I'm not impressed with Conkeldurr's performance. I think I'd like to continue testing with Conkeldurr before making a final decision, but for the time being, I've got this set going on:

Hurdurr (Conkeldurr) @ Life Orb
Brave Nature
- Mach Punch
- Drain Punch
- Ice Punch
- Poison Jab

I'm still debating on whether or not Mach Punch is worth keeping around. It's definitely nifty for getting through a number of sticky situations, I've just not found the opportunity for it to really be useful. Drain Punch has been working pretty well for keeping him alive, Poison Jab provides for coverage against fairies, as I no longer have that with Golurk out of the picture. Ice Punch is for extra coverage against dragons and other fun threats such as Amoongus (and great for countering sun teams that like to have a little grass on their side). I'm looking at replacing Mach Punch with Protect, as Protect is just necessary in the Trick Room setup process (the last thing I need is Conkeldurr going down before having the chance to attack). I've also been considering Iron Fist over Guts for the extra power boost, but it's also nice to have something to switch into when threatened by Will-O-Wisp and Thunder Wave.

Lastly, consider Heal Pulse on Aromatisse in order to keep her sweeping buddy alive and healthy with that pretty high HP stat.
Done and done. Don't know why that flew over my head earlier. Works beautifully, especially in comparison to Aromatherapy which I never really have the opportunity to make use of.

On conkeldurr, consider Assault vest over Life orb since AV patches up conkeldurr's one main weakness: its low sp defense. Also Life orb drains can wear it down pretty fast if it isn't Drain Punching every so often. Don't get rid of Guts, nothing on your team can take status, unless you add reuniclus as a TR setter, but I don't really know if that would work very well. If you want to try it out, this is the set I use, so feel free to change stuff around:
Chuck (Reuniclus) (F) @ Life Orb
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 180 HP / 76 Def / 252 SAtk
Quiet Nature
- Psyshock
- Shadow Ball
- Focus Blast
- Trick Room
Life Orb recoil is negated with Magic Guard, along with status and also entry hazard damage. I personally take Psyshock>Psychic to be able to hit both specially invested pokemon and non-specially invested pokemon alike.

On conkeldurr, consider Assault vest over Life orb since AV patches up conkeldurr's one main weakness: its low sp defense. Also Life orb drains can wear it down pretty fast if it isn't Drain Punching every so often. Don't get rid of Guts, nothing on your team can take status, unless you add reuniclus as a TR setter, but I don't really know if that would work very well.
I was actually considering Assault Vest, but unfortunately if I decide to replace Mach Punch with Protect, I'd need to flop right back to something else. Protect has been working fairly well thus far, as I really just need that extra time to settle a trick room so that Conkeldurr doesn't have to face super-effective special moves before taking the opponent out.

Here is a sample of Conkeldurr's Life Orb and Protect combo working fairly well today, even with a number of poorly timed Protects. I don't imagine that the Life Orb would be too much of an issue with Aromatisse on the field, since there's always access to Heal Pulse. The occasional Drain Punch also seems to be doing its purpose with keeping healed, so I'm not particularly worried about the health issue that comes with the Life Orb, but the lack of Special Defense is definitely worrisome. I could consider investing in Aromatisse's defense and replacing Reflect with Light Screen to give a special defense boost (Malamar could also use the extra special bulk since Superpower covers for the physical), although having that extra physical defense is extra useful against priority moves, especially on Baton Passing teams that like to have a x4 priority hit (and that's where I really need Malamar's and Porygon2's extra bulk + a Reflect). It would also leave Aromatisse a lot more unbalanced than she was before, so I'd rather not sacrifice everything that works well with her for Conkeldurr's special defense alone. At the same time, as long as Conkeldurr can leave a good bruise on an enemy team before getting knocked up with a special move, then his purpose would have been served. Fortunately for his diverse movepool, his coverage usually allows him to take out the major threats as long as TR is up, so I'm not sure that giving up Protect for Assault Vest is the best possible choice.

No I definitely see how Life Orb+Protect is working for you, stick to that. That was more a suggestion based on my lack of doubles knowledge, sorry about that haha.

I wouldn't forego reflect just for conkeldurr, that would probably weaken your team more than you need. However you could switch the EVs on Aromatisse to defense and that way Light screen would work, but I dunno.

Like fat mango said I do not know much about doubles but I will comment a bit anyways. Poison jab hits fairys and emm grass types and ice punch hits grass types. Knock off could be a better choice hitting ghost types and psychic types making for more coverage but as I said I do not know the doubles meta but if fairys are more relevant then ghost and fairy keep poison jab not to mention its buff this gen and a pokemon with no item is allways a +

AM

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
LCPL Champion
Watched the replay and have to say it looks like a good all around team. Also on your idea on trying out M-Mawile I would try it out. Chandelure's Flash Fire ability will help with switching into Mawile when necessary so that's a plus. It's very strong and from what I've seen your team could use an extra hand as far as physical attacks go. If you do use one try this spread.

Mawile (M) @ Mawilite
Brave Nature (+SAtk, -Spd)
- Play Rough
- Sucker Punch
- Fire Fang / Iron Head
- Protect

Iron Head to help deal with Fairy mons. Fire Fang to deal with mons such as Scizor and Ferrothorn, Steel types in general.

No I definitely see how Life Orb+Protect is working for you, stick to that. That was more a suggestion based on my lack of doubles knowledge, sorry about that haha.

I wouldn't forego reflect just for conkeldurr, that would probably weaken your team more than you need. However you could switch the EVs on Aromatisse to defense and that way Light screen would work, but I dunno.
No, thank you for the feedback :) I do appreciate the suggestion, as it certainly isn't a bad one. Doubles certainly can be weird at times, and I definitely want to give the Assault Vest a try, but I do have to say that I'm happy with how Conkeldurr fares with Protect + Life Orb. I'm definitely finding that Conkeldurr is doing better than Golurk (as much as I miss No Guard + Dynamic Punch), especially with having someone that can take status. I do like keeping Reflect, though, as it works well with Aromatisse and allows some protection against Earthquake, especially for Chandelure and Ampharos. I think I'd like to continue working with Conkeldurr's special defense as a bit ignored and see how things go, as Reflect just goes over much better. Fortunately, since a lot of the team is high in special defense, I can at least switch Conkeldurr out with relative ease when Air Slash or Psychic threatens him (especially since Malamar is immune to Psychic).

Like fat mango said I do not know much about doubles but I will comment a bit anyways. Poison jab hits fairys and emm grass types and ice punch hits grass types. Knock off could be a better choice hitting ghost types and psychic types making for more coverage but as I said I do not know the doubles meta but if fairys are more relevant then ghost and fairy keep poison jab not to mention its buff this gen and a pokemon with no item is allways a +
I think I'd like to keep Ice Punch for coverage against flying-types, which obviously are a huge threat to Conkeldurr (thank goodness for high defense against Brave Bird). Poison Jab is my only team's coverage against fairies, and every now and then I do find them becoming a thorn in my behind. Malamar and Chandelure also already provide for coverage against ghosts/psychics, so I don't think that it would be necessary to expand that coverage to a third member. Thank you for the feedback!

Watched the replay and have to say it looks like a good all around team. Also on your idea on trying out M-Mawile I would try it out. Chandelure's Flash Fire ability will help with switching into Mawile when necessary so that's a plus. It's very strong and from what I've seen your team could use an extra hand as far as physical attacks go. If you do use one try this spread.

Mawile (M) @ Mawilite
- Play Rough
- Sucker Punch
- Fire Fang / Iron Head
- Protect

Iron Head to help deal with Fairy mons. Fire Fang to deal with mons such as Scizor and Ferrothorn, Steel types in general.
Ahh, yes, Mega Mawile. I've been meaning to give her a try, but have been more busy working on the rest of the team that I've been leaving Ampharos as-is. If I plan on keeping a mega-Pokemon on the team, it's definitely between Ampharos and Mawile. I'm thinking that having Fire Fang as well as Iron Head in place of the initial slot for those and Protect may be a better choice. I almost never lead with Ampharos, as it's one of the biggest powerhouses on the team, so I like to "save it" for when the situation calls for it rather than just flopping out on an earthquake right from the start. I don't think that I would lead with Mega Mawile frequently at all, so Protect may not be fully necessary. I would love to have Fire Fang handy for taking care of other steel-types, and a STAB Iron Head would be great for fairies and rocks. If I find that Fire Fang doesn't work as well as Protect, then it isn't a huge deal as Conkeldurr and Porygon2 both provide for coverage against grass, and Chandelure can take care of steel-types with Heat Wave. I'll definitely give this set a go, though.

The only thing that worries me about Mawile is that all of my sweepers would be physical-based, although Porygon2 and Chandelure also do a good job with special damage. Thank you for the feedback!

AM

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
LCPL Champion
I noticed the edits on your team changed after I posted it. So if your worried about the physical/special spread on your team I would keep M-Ampharos for now. Both are great really depends on your preference.

Mawile (M) @ Mawilite
- Play Rough
- Sucker Punch
- Focus punch
- Substitutute

Subs are scary in doubles focus unch can deal with other threats just a idea also aegi could be on the teamand aegi can go special and psyical

I was in the middle of testing then haunter banned me for telling someone why he locked me 4 days ago. but i got 4 battles in and chandalure with heat wave being the best spread move imo just ahead of dazzleing gleam itt is great as a revenge killer being able to kill 2 pokemon at once whilst something else can setup something or recover and if they double switch they have 2 pokemon and low hp and i found alot of scenarios where both pokemon are on low hp i find my self leaving pokemon with 20% alot. I think chandy should stay. but as i only gota couple of battles in as i said i like everyone besides malamar. I did get the least play time wit him tho. he died to quick to set up but do not take what i said about malamar to heart. I have not had enough testing to tell yet and will not get much in the next few days as i am banned.
also a chaice banded azumarril could do work in malamars place being quite bulky and a power house

azumarill (F) @ Choice Band Ability: Huge power
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -Satk)
- Waterfall
- superpower
- ice punch play rough
- play rough

sorry if it does not wark as importable as i am banned i can not make it and then just copy it. i typed it all down

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)