Team with Mega Heracross - Peaked at 2000

I decided to build a team with Mega Heracross because he's my favorite pokemon and doesn't seem to get much love.

The team is built to cover any Mega Heracross' weaknesses and really let him shine.

Heracross @ Heracronite
Ability: Moxie
EVs: 220 HP / 252 Atk / 36 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Rock Blast
- Close Combat
- Earthquake
- Pin Missile

As I said, the star of the team. I'm gonna start by listing his strong points and his weaknesses I'm gonna explain later.

First, when he mega evolves he gets 515 (!!!) attack. On top of that, he can get a moxie boost before mega evolving which make his attack really scary.

Mega Heracross is also very, very bulky (80/115/105) and since his speed gets even lower (85 -> 75) when he mega evolves I prefer runing max HP instead of speed. He normally can take 2 hits from a lots of things, except super effective stabs and fire back with a powerful attack.

I run 36 speed mainly to outspeed (almost) anykind of bulky Heatran when I mega evolve and outspeed Rotom without mega evolving. It's important to note that I normally don't risk staying in on any of this pokemons but when I had to stay, being slower was really messing up my games, specially agaisnt Heatran who can OHKO Mega Heracross with Lava Plume.

The move slots are pretty standarts except for Earthquake. The reason for that is Aegislash. He 4x resist my stab Bug and takes no damage from the other stab, Fighting. If I run Bullet Seed and Rock Blast he would resist all four of my moves.

Heatran @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SDef / 4 Spd
Calm Nature
- Lava Plume
- Earth Power
- Stealth Rock
- Roar

This guy is Heracross' Best Friend. He resists every single type that Heracross is weak to: Psychic,Flying,Fire and Fairy. He's also there because he completely counters Talonflame, who destroys Heracross. Not only that, but 2 of his weaknesses, Ground and Fighting, are resisted by Heracross.

Other than that he's my special wall and the guys who sets up Stealth Rock. I use Roar instead of anything else because he forces a lot of switches and if some entry hazards are already up I can do a good amount of damage. It also prevents any pokemon from setting up.

Instead of using Roar I can always use Lava Plume for the damage and fish for Burns.

Pretty Standart Heatran set. Not much else to talk about it.

Ferrothorn @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spd
- Spikes
- Leech Seed
- Thunder Wave
- Gyro Ball

I use Ferrothorn to counter Pinsir, who counters Heracross and my team in general. Pinsirs normally run SD/EQ/Return/QuickAttack. None of those can even 2HKO Ferrothorn at full and since my item is Rocky Helmet the Pinsir will take a lot of damage trying to kill my Ferrothorn or will be forced to switch out. If the Pinsir runs Close Combat that will be a little bit more problematic since it will always be a 2HKO but at least the Pinsir will be severly damaged.

My team also had some problems with Belly Drum Azulmarill and Ferrothorn also walls azulmarill pretty well.

I use Thunder Wave because it really helps Heracross with his speed problems. If Heracross can hit before the enemy it's likely the enemy won't hit back.

Latias (F) @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Healing Wish
- Dragon Pulse
- Surf
- Defog

Here's where things get interesting. Latias has a lot of uses in this team.

- He is the guy with Defog. My team isn't weak to nor dependent of entry hazards but i think it is always good to have someone to clean the field for you when it's necessary.

- My team is in general very slow so I use max speed timid in order to cover a little bit that weakness. I choose surf so I can kill Fire and Ground types more easily, but it could be any move of preference really.

- And last: Healing Wish. As I said Heracross can take 1 or 2 hits and fire back. But then he gets really low HP. I switch out and my opponent thinks Heracross is not a problem anymore. Until I get the chance to Healing Wish him all the way to full HP and begin that cicle once again. This works pretty well mainly because people don't expect that. Obviously it's not mandatory to use Healing Wish on Heracross, but normally is the guy who uses it better.

Thundurus (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Substitute
- Thunder Wave
- Hidden Power [Ice]

This guy's job is to Thunder Wave any threat that can outspeed my team or simply kill it with his 111 base speed and 125 SpAtck. I realised that I can't do anything agaisnt a Smeargle lead so I use Substitute. If the Smeargle predict my sub he can set up 2 entry hazards, but that's ok as along as it doesn't put anything to sleep. As I said my team doesn't care too much for Stealth Rock, except this guy, and since my team is pretty slow already sticky web is not a problem. The only 2 guys that really care about speed are Latias and Thundurus, both immune to Sticky Web.

Skarmory, Gliscor and Forretress can wall Heracross pretty well and this guys can OKHO the first two and at very least 2HKO Forretress.

I also needed someone who can really destroy flying types and this guy can.

Conkeldurr @ Assault Vest
Ability: Guts
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Adamant Nature
- Ice Punch
- Drain Punch
- Mach Punch
- Knock Off

The last one.

Rotom-W burning things was pissing me off. So I decided to put this guy on the team. Guts and Assault Vest. Rotom can't do anything. He's also my leader most of the time and has been proving to be very good. Genesect can't touch him. Rotom can't touch him. He's good agaisnt Greninja. He's good agaisnt Mamoswine.

After Heracross, he's the guy who get benefited the most by Healing Wish.

I know that my two physical hitters are weak to Flying. But that is not a problem whatsoever. Flying isn't a commom attack type and I have 3 pokemons that resist flying to cover that. Pshycic isn't a big problem either because of the same reason.

Knock Off catches so much ghost types off guard and Ice Punch is basically for Gliscor. Mach Punch is my Priority and Drain Punch keeps me healthy.

So that's my team guys. Feel free to make any changes to any set or pokemon, except, of course, for Heracross, who the main reason of the team.

Note: Sorry for my bad English. English isn't my main language so you might find a lot of mistakes.

hi just like you the first time i took at the megas i loved mega heracross right away, so i decided to try out your team and as stated skarmory is so hard to get over with heracross. I actually have one of the replays from the match, since i am new to competitive battling i was wondering if you could critique my use of your team and maybe point out some improvements for me http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-116327743

Hello there. Just two minor suggestions if you don't mind, as the team looks pretty good already. Move Thundurus' 4 HP EVs somewhere to minimize SR damage (it's preferred to have an odd number in HP for pokes weak to SR) and Draco Meteor > Dragon Pulse on Latias. Draco Meteor serves as Latias' main nuke and dents anything that switches in that isn't specially bulky or isn't a resist.

Thunder wave a gyro ball on ferro is counter productive. Why don't you change gyro ball for power whip?
I'm no pro at ev setting but shouldn't the 252 evs in hp for conk be changed to 252 SpD evs because he already has a high HP uninvested?

I think Substitute isn't the best option for Thundurus since you are using Life Orb. So I think it would be a a good idea to use Taunt over Substitute.

I know that substitue can be a good idea If don't really know if the oponent is going to change or something but I think that using Life Orb and Substitute is a bit suicide.

Since you don't have any Psychic move and Latios doesn't want to run Psyshock for the lack of water moves in your team you can try to put Hp [Flying] over Hp [Ice] on you Thundurus so you can hit thigs like Venusaur-m but then you will need to be carefull with Landorus-I.

I just don't really know how you deal with Assault Vest Conkeldurr.

Last edited:
Thunder wave a gyro ball on ferro is counter productive. Why don't you change gyro ball for power whip?
I'm no pro at ev setting but shouldn't the 252 evs in hp for conk be changed to 252 SpD evs because he already has a high HP uninvested?
Typically you when you invest in bulk, you invest in hp first as it increases overall bulk more than just investing in one stat. It also allows Conk to sponge physical hits better than what he would normally do.

Also adressing the Thundurus set, I think you should either run taunt with Life orb sets or sub on the lefties. But then again what do I know :P

Well, I do not think megasaur is a problem from the moment Heracross inflicts a 2kho with pin missile.

252+ Atk Mega Heracross Pin Missile (5 hits) vs. 252 HP / 244+ Def Mega Venusaur: 185-225 (50.8 - 61.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

More than anything else since the stated concerns me that I Landorus is really a deadly threat to your team, it would not hurt to equip themselves some priority. Latias obviously goes with Draco Meteor who earns a much more explosive power of Dragon Pulse, also Hp ice on Thundurus is just fine as it is the only way to check I seriously Landorus with Okho.

And especially do not want to be picky but pays little attention to Gardevoir, obliterates all of them if you take out hp fire on Ferrothorn or focus blast on Heatran is not so easy to stop once you have eliminated some basic pokemon, without considering that resists large to Thundurus Thunderbolt thanks to its special defense, you say (so I can paralyze Gardevoir) but even if there is never cunning way of knowing whether a hypothetical chansey can intervene on Heatran or Ferrothorn or Latias to make aromatherapy.

Needs another pokemon fast enough

aVocado

@ Everstone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Ahahh wow sorry i did not see why it was one of the first most important? : D
It was because the poster above your first post bumped up the thread.

The RMT was made in december but it didn't get any replies/rates until 4th of may.

I'm a fan of Focus Blast on thundurus, especially because you are making it offensive with the life orb. Takes care of the ever so pesky ferrothorns that like to eat up thunderbolts and hp ices, who just don't care about them t-waves.

-MSorbet

Instead of Earthquake, I would suggest Bullet Seed for Gastrodon/Quagsire/Swampert. I think Bullet Seed does have better coverage than Earthquake does on Heracross-Mega. For the Latias, I suggest Wish as well. It can keep Latias (A good Pokemon on your team) alive and you get +50% HP back which is really helpful. I wouldn't run Spikes and no Stealth Rock on Ferrothorn. If Thunder Wave is a thing you need/want on Ferrothorn I would replace Spikes with Stealth Rock. Running Stealth Rock can mess up Talonflame and Mega-Pinsir.

Great team!

Instead of Earthquake, I would suggest Bullet Seed for Gastrodon/Quagsire/Swampert. I think Bullet Seed does have better coverage than Earthquake does on Heracross-Mega. For the Latias, I suggest Wish as well. It can keep Latias (A good Pokemon on your team) alive and you get +50% HP back which is really helpful. I wouldn't run Spikes and no Stealth Rock on Ferrothorn. If Thunder Wave is a thing you need/want on Ferrothorn I would replace Spikes with Stealth Rock. Running Stealth Rock can mess up Talonflame and Mega-Pinsir.

Great team!
Bullet seed leaves him completely unable to hit Aegislash, which is pretty much more common than all three of ose pokemon combined. Pin missile and Close Combat hit those pokemon hard enough anyways. Wish isnt bad, but the reason you say to run Wish isnt that solid. With that logic, you might as well run Recover or Roost, which is immediate. Wish does have its merits though, being able to support your team.

Bullet seed leaves him completely unable to hit Aegislash, which is pretty much more common than all three of ose pokemon combined. Pin missile and Close Combat hit those pokemon hard enough anyways. Wish isnt bad, but the reason you say to run Wish isnt that solid. With that logic, you might as well run Recover or Roost, which is immediate. Wish does have its merits though, being able to support your team.
Recover/Roost isn't a logical replacement for Healing Wish. He wants to heal the other Pokemon on his team, not just Latias.

Recover/Roost isn't a logical replacement for Healing Wish. He wants to heal the other Pokemon on his team, not just Latias.
And I never said it was. You stated that Wish would be a good alternative because you stated that Wish would heal Latias by 50%. I simply stated that Recover/Roost, two moves that Latias has access to, do a better job than wish (Unless wish passing). You didn't even state which move would be replaced by Wish, so this argument is a bit pointless.

And I never said it was. You stated that Wish would be a good alternative because you stated that Wish would heal Latias by 50%. I simply stated that Recover/Roost, two moves that Latias has access to, do a better job than wish (Unless wish passing). You didn't even state which move would be replaced by Wish, so this argument is a bit pointless.
Yeah, the argument is pointless lol. But he is wanting to pass HP to other Pokemon.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)