Technical Meta

Approved by The Immortal and The Eevee General.

Technical Meta
Though it’s not obvious on Showdown access to Technical Machines or TMs can make or break pokemon. TMs give things like Lati@s and Nidos their movepools. Where would Landorus be without Rock Polish? How much more deadly would Keldeo be with coverage?

Rules:
-Everything has access to all TMs
-Hidden Abilities are released
-All move incompatibilities from Gen III on are fixed (so yes Knock Off and Play Rough on Absol, no Lovely Kiss Nidoking)

List of TMs: http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/TM#List_of_TMs

Notable Moves
Attacking

-Physical Coverage (BP >=75) in Bug, Dragon, Electric, Fighting, Flying (albeit, with Acrobatics), Ground, Poison, Rock and Steel.
-Special Coverage (BP >=75) in Dark, Electric, Fairy, Fighting, Fire, Ghost, Grass, Ice, Poison, Psychic, Steel and Water.
-Everything has access to “utility” attacking moves with U-turn/Volt Switch, Dragon Tail, Power-Up Punch/Charge Beam, Flame Charge, Infestation, and (autocrit counts as utility, right?) Frost Breath.

Non-attacking
-Taunt makes life much harder for set-up sweepers, now that everyone gets it.
-Fortunately, everyone also gets Hone Claws, Calm Mind, Rock Polish, and Swords Dance.
-Thunder Wave, Will-o-Wisp, and Toxic (for the three things that don’t get it) spread status much more easily.
-Perfect distribution of weather moves might help sun and rain teams.
-Everyone who wants it gets reliable recovery with Roost.
-Roar gives every wall a way to phase out adversaries.
-Finally, all the things get dual screens.

Cool Stuff
Keldeo: No longer is Keldeo forced to run STABs + Hidden Power. It gets Shadow Ball for (almost) perfect coverage, Thunder(bolt) to hit waters, Energy Ball to hit waters, and Ice Beam (for Dnite and Celebi?). Oh, and it gets Rock Polish.

Kyurem-Black: Though it still doesn’t get Pysical Ice STAB, it gets impressive levels of coverage (Fairys? Poison Jab. Steels? Earthquake.) and also benefits from Rock Polish. Perhaps a Weakness Policy set?

Gyarados: Once again it misses the big advantage it wanted - TM Knock Off - and Megados doesn’t get Dark STAB. But picking up reliable recovery, STAB Acrobatics, and potentially a bulky set with U-turn and Intimdate is nice.

Other stuff gets the one move it wants Lati@s get Volt Switch, Rotom-Wash gets Scald, Talonflame gets Earthquake, and every wall gets Roost.

Most of the meta wants some kind of coverage (Aegislash, Azumaril, Greninja, Landorus, Nidoking, etc.) or some setup (Nidoking, Greninja maybe, SD T-tar?).

Last edited:

Da Pizza Man

Pizza Time
is a Pre-Contributor
Well, now a good amount of special attackers dont give a damn about Chansey and Blissey with Psyshock.

Also, does this count for HMs to? (I know most aren't much but hey)

Swagger on everything

In all seriousness, this looks pretty fun. Azumarill, for example, can run Acrobatics with SitrusDrum to hit Venusaur SE and Ferrothorn neutrally. Or if Belly Drum isn't your thing, Aerial Ace can fill that void, although it's much weaker. Talonflame is pretty much unstoppable with EQ now.

Also, is this just for Gen 6 TMs, or do past gen TMs get included too?

Edit: I'm also going to assume standard OU banlist, so please correct me if I'm worng.

AWailOfATail

viva la darmz
ROOST ROTOM W YEAAAAAAAAA
Honestly both stall and offense got nice buffs
Also Regigigas gets protect and substitute :)

Wobbuffet could see some usage with a couple moves that it desperately needed-protect and recovery. Still a little gimmicky but shadow tag is nothing to mess with

Registeel, anyone?

Registeel @ Leftovers
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Roost
- Toxic / Thunder Wave
- Roar
- Iron Head

Recovery and status spreading potential (I mostly just threw roar on there as filler) makes Registeel a cool special (or physical) wall.

I like this meta. Simple idea, big consequences.

Registeel @ Leftovers
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Roost
- Toxic / Thunder Wave
- Roar
- Iron Head
Nice set, though I think Will-o-Wisp and Stealth Rock are definitely worth considering.

I was thinking about Garchomp a bit, and I think it really benefits from Rock Polish. It's got good power, and offensive potential with either a Mega set with RP + Three Attacks, or SubRP with Liechi Berry and dual STABs. I'm not really sure which set is better, or if it wants to run a double dance set instead.

Physical: Dragon Claw, Earthquake, Brick Break, Acrobatics, Shadow Claw, Stone Edge, X-Scissor, Dragon Tail, Poison Jab, U-Turn, Wild Charge.
Special: Psyshock, Ice Beam, Blizzard, Solar Beam, Thunderbolt, Thunder, Shadow Ball, Psychic, Sludge Wave, Flamethrower, Fire Blast, Overheat, Focus Blast, Energy Ball, Scald, Volt Switch, Grass Knot, Flash Cannon, Dark Pulse, Dazzling Gleam.
Status: Calm Mind, Roar, Bulk Up, Taunt, Light Screen, Roost, Reflect, Rock Polish, Thunder Wave, Swords Dance, Will O Wisp

All viable moves, with the bolded ones having general use. Every type of team (Weather, Volt-Turn, Stall, Offense) gets a bunch of new tricks.

xJownage

Even pendulums swing both ways
Volt-Turn offense and momentum stall will be really potent in this meta. It looks like a lot of fun, if somebody can code it on an OTM server I would definitely play it.

Volt-Turn can really suprise people, as you never know who is gonna pivot and who will sweep. Hell, i would think that running volt switch on lando-t could be fun lol. Having some amazing pokes get these moves will make momentum stall an amazing force, being able to use stuff like AV volt switch or u-turn regenerator slowbro, or cleric u-turn alomomola. Alomomola will actually be the best cleric available, since wish passing becomes such a better strategy with the slow switch. It allows you to be able to wish pass to very weak pokes, since you can switch them in completely safely despite having to switch anyways. Alomomola is just even better since it has regenerator as well.

Still no nasty plot TM. The thing is, everything physical (almost) learns swords dance to begin with; but the only good nasty plot sweeper in OU is thundurus and it even is only mediocre since it almost always has to run 2 move coverage. If there was only a nasty plot tm, it would be soo much better. I feel like unaware physical walls will literally rule this meta.

Volt-Turn offense and momentum stall will be really potent in this meta. It looks like a lot of fun, if somebody can code it on an OTM server I would definitely play it.
You can also just play this by challenging another to a custom game. Yay for that!

I've always wanted to try a VoltTurn team, so this would be great, now that you mention it.

Serperior @ Life Orb
Ability: Contrary
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
IVs: 29 HP
Timid Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Overheat
- Shadow Ball
- Taunt

Near-perfect coverage and two hella powerful boosting moves. As a Serperior lover, this is my dream come true

xJownage

Even pendulums swing both ways
its gotta double boost is the problem. Kyurem-B should choose either swords dance or agility, the first being to obliterate stall/defensive teams and the latter to be a great cleaner vs. Offense. Also, often it would rather use fusion bolt in many situations, so having fusion bolt and earthquake is important for the success of that set

skill swap slaking should be banned.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)