Terraria

Couldn't find a thread for this (apologies if there was one)

So patch 1.2 came out for pc and it added a whole bunch of shit to it. I have never really played it until now and I can't believe what I've been missing out on! (I already logged 30 hours or so this week)
I'm sure most of you guys have heard of Terraria already but for those who don't know - it's like minecraft except with more emphasis on combat and gear. Summoning bosses is very cool

who play?

Last edited by a moderator:
I used to be absolutely addicted to this game - had Excalibur, Gungnir, Hallowed Repeater, Megashark, Hamdrax, full Hallowed armor - all the end-game gear. I had statue loop farms that generated MASSIVE amounts of gold and souls. I stopped playing after setting up my mushroom and herb farm and farming bosses multiple times.

I didn't realize exactly how much material 1.2 added and I also didn't realize how long it's been since the 1.1 upgrade. I'm probably going to log back on at some point this week.

The question is, do I start fresh or continue from my old account?

Toast++

Nexus is literally the worst.
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
This is happening. Thank God. I love this game. Haven't had a good night's sleep since Sunday.

Edit: Definitely start new.

Toast++

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Now that there's a thread for this stuff...
Look closely to not sleep. Almost dropped blindly into this place. Don't run though! There's chests in there with Web Launchers. They're basically grappling hooks with 5 shots instead of 1.

I know it's kinda hard to see, but I'm basically surrounded by about 20 spiders. I was twitching all the way through.

Last edited:
we should set up some kind of event where a bunch of smogon people make new accounts and enter the same world and just play

would be fun

do we have an IRC channel?

wow 5 shots? I've made a ivy whip yesterday and was having so much fun with just 3

Here's my shitty abode that i made in a hurry
I still don't know what kegs do

Currently I'm trying to farm piranhas (as seen on the left) for the robot hat that I believe is from cave story. I found myself a water candle so maybe i can start super farming. I think it works like that

edit: Jebus McAzn maybe you can start irc channel. I'm down with making a new char!

i started using IRC about 2 weeks ago so i have no clue how to do much of anything, much less start a channel

if someone else wants to make that would be great

EDIT: here is my humble abode

i'm like 90% sure this is my secondary home where all my NPCs live and i have another house somewhere that's way bigger and has a lot of machines but i haven't played this game in a year so my memory is a little rusty

Last edited:

Toast++

Renosaur
Kegs let you craft certain things.

Suppose we can make a chan. There's some randoms idling in #terraria so that's out.

I suppose I'll reg #terra and we'll see where it goes.

i haven't played a tonne of this (bout 15 hours total) but i'll be down for playing with you guys if you don't mind scrubs

about 2 days into my new character and i've got full crimtane armor and am working towards my first meteorite

crimtane is a noticeably more difficult biome than the corruption and the brain of cthulhu especially is significantly more difficult than the eater of worlds

will report back with further updates

Toast++

The brain is supposed to be Even with the eater of worlds. Some maps have the Crimson and others still have the corruption. I did beat both but I had much much better supplies with the latter so I'll have to check. I think the underworld is easier than it used to be.

Hardmode gets ridiculous. You will die.
A couple nights into it, skeletron prime appeared out of nowhere. Later, the twins randomly came. There was a warning with "this is going to be a terrible night". It was.

From personal experience, I always beat the Eater of Worlds by creating a small arena and just chucking grenades at him - they're super cheap and he's multi-segmented so grenades do tons of work. The Brain, on the other hand, disappears and reappears and is way harder to kill. I eventually ended up beating him on my third try or so by using Ironskin potions combined with a gun I found for his second stage and it wasn't too bad.

apparently the face monsters can break down doors so yes this will be a problem

you can build a personal house there and wall the doors off with wood for the early game and you can relocate your respawn point once you craft a bed (and for that you'll need silk and for silk you'll need cobwebs)

in any case i would not recommend letting your NPCs set up over the crimson because they will probably be immediately molested by face monsters and will die

find a nice patch of regular land that's decently far away from the crimson because it spreads and set up camp there

Just started playing. What's the best way to obtain materials?

Also, how do you make a bed? Is there sleeping in this game? x.x

Just started playing. What's the best way to obtain materials?

Also, how do you make a bed? Is there sleeping in this game? x.x
wood is going to be your limiting resource early on - you need it to make houses and just about every important piece of equipment in the early game. fortunately, your spawn point is almost always abundant in trees so that's not a huge deal.

beds are not necessary and your character doesn't need sleep - that being said, you can construct a bed once you get silk (which is made at the loom out of cobwebs). if you place a bed inside a valid house then you can set that as your spawn point, which is useful

posting again to notify people that the minishark still makes the game as stupidly easy as it was before 1.2

if you have ~15-20 armor and a minishark you can take on nearly any biome in the game pre-hardmode (and if you have cloud in a balloon and/or spectre boots, no biome should really give you a problem)

source: i have a minishark and ~25 armor and have explored every biome in the game except for the pyramid which i think is hardmode content

FUCK I somehow deleted my singleplayer world... I'm completely bummed....

..well, kinda. If you saw in my previous screenshot my house was on top of a hill in a jungle biome and for some reason the game read it as being high altitude so i had harpies , dragons from Spirited Away , demons and shit flying around my house whilst maneaters and clowns were bloody wrecking shit inside.

anyways my question is what do I aim for first after hardmode is engaged? I have somewhat decent stuff (running around 43 or so armor) and managed to get a lucky Legendary night's fury. Any Npc's I should have before exploring?

immediate post-hardmode for me was just getting the higher level ores (cobalt / mithril / adamantite) and slowly working my way up to hallowed

the only thing i highly recommend you have for hardmode is the megashark

Toast++

I never liked the guns, personally. Magic is completely outclassed at the start of hardmode. I was lucky and got a frostbrand drop from a mimic. Unlike Jebus, I pretty much went straight for the hallow. The only thing that managed to kill me there was a couple of those damn explosive traps. Regardless, you're going to die at some point in hard mode between the solar eclipses and random boss generations (the twins are ridiculous).

I'd recommend not switching armors unless you have all 3 pieces to switch to. The hardmode set bonuses are pretty awesome - gaining faster health regen, extra attack power and temporary immunity as you move up in ores. A slight boost in defense isn't worth losing those effects.

btw, pyramid isn't hardmode, the jungle temple is.

Ive been debating getting this, would you guys recommend it? Also is there a smogon server? One more question. looks a bit like a 2D minecraft, is it anything like it?

Toast++

I would certainly recommend this. There isn't a smogon server. In fact, a server actually only supports up to 8 people as far as I know. It is like minecraft in that there are blocks, mining and enemies. It definitely surpasses it in all of those ways, though. The exploration actually has a purpose. The enemies are varied. And it doesn't have that clunky feel. I this is all my opinion, of course.

UGH OKAY JUST BEAT THE WALL OF FLESH

first time attempting it in 1.2 and it was goddamn close

i had 6 health at one point and was just scrambling to get away and trying to kill worms to get health drops

Terraria feels more like an arpg than minecraft honestly. Only the building elements (That Toast++ said) really carries over

Also bloody getting soul of ______ are annoying to collect! Too many items I want need them!
currently I'm trying to build Ank Charm but 1% drops are pretty annoying to collect (I got 3/5 needed though!

also meet Mr. Bones

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)