The 2010-11 Football/Soccer Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Villas-Boas gone by January? Dear me. Fancy putting a wager on that? Fiver sees you wrong

edit: also HI AVB IS NOT MOURINHO. STOP MAKING LAZY COMPARISONS BECAUSE HE WORKED WITH HIM ONCE AND IS ALSO PORTUGUESE. FOR THE LOVE OF GOD

The Portuguese League may not be that competitive, but going unbeaten for a whole season (including a 5-0 thrashing of Benfica) definitely shows that you have some real class. The Europa League is still difficult to win IMO, there were very few teams that I would consider to be bad in the knockout rounds and beating Spartak Moscow 10-3 on aggregate is definitely impressive

the reason why mourinho wasn't unbeaten in the league was because he was resting players for the CL. I'm not saying he isn't a very good manager for porto or that he won't succeed but i just think that chelsea have taken a huge gamble with this one.

first game for villas-boas in the PL is stoke away. deary me... good luck, he's gonna need it.

Villas Boas took over Académica de Coimbra when they were bottom of the league without any wins, and helped them finish a decent 11th that season. He also took them to the Portuguese Cup Semis that season, losing to Porto 1-0. Sounds a lot like the job Harry did at Tottenham when he took over!

Villas-Boas set up most of Mourinho's reports when at Chelsea and Inter.

He took Porto and made them run through every team they faced and won everything they entered for, including winning every game but 3 draws in the league. He helped turn Falcao from a good striker into one of the best in the world.

Boas is arguably a better manager at this point then Mourinho was when he took over Chelsea. Mourinho won the champions league with Porto with much better players, in a fairly weak year and a wrongly disallowed goal.

Myzozoa

to find better ways to say what nobody says
is a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
Did anyone look at arsenal's fixtures, i wouldnt be surprised if they finished august with 0 points.

river plate = relegated

T_T

Legendary club. 33 league titles. never been relegated.

wow look at all the big clubs that got relegated this year: deportivo / monaco / sampdoria / liverpool (under roy) / river plate

edit: liverpool linked with andres guardado. looks like rey is gonna be a liverpool supporter now (screw that hernandez)

looks like Hiddink was Abramovich's first choice, wonder how AVB will take that

why do we get the tough fixtures first, meh i guess at least we get them out of the way first

Mourinho depended on villas boas a fair bit for some scouting reports and whatever at chelsea, so im pretty sure AVB knows how to take the premier league on. His tactics also look fairly similar to mourinho, with that counter attacking 4-3-3

tottenham is going to have their handful this summer.. having to sell some good sized contracts [4 or 5] just to have the chance to spend like they want.

goodluck with that

Reports coming out say arsenal have made a 18 mil bid for Juan Mata. Wow Wenger spending money? On the other hand this Mata plays same positions as Nasri and Fabregas(left wing, playmaker) so I dont know what to make of this. Wenger could also be using money raised by selling one of them to buy Mata, since wenger spending a club record just doesnt feel right.

Mata isn't good enough for Arsenal/Liverpool or the type of player for the premier league, he is decent but also another weak dime a dozen pacy winger you get in La Liga just like Reyes and Navas. There are much more effective players around for 18m.

just read this brilliant footy joke on another site so I thought I'd post it. (ps. phalanx/rey you might not like this one)

After Liverpool beat ManU Kenny and Fergie are having a talk.
Fergie: Kenny how come your team has become so strong since you took over? can you give me some advice?
Kenny: Well the secret is to hang around with intelligent people.
Fergie: What? So I have to fire my whole team?
Kenny: Maybe yes but that´s not the point. Look you have to ask your players some difficult questions.

Kenny takes a sip of his tea and calls for Raul Meireles.

Raul: Boss you have called me?
Kenny: Raul listen, your parents have a child he´s not your brother and not your sister. Who is it?
Raul: That´s easy boss, that would be me then.
Kenny: Well done Raul you can go.

So kenny turns to Fergie and tells him that this is the key to a strong team. it´s intelligence.
So after Fergie arrived back in Manchester he wants to try that too. So he calls for Rooney.

Fergie: Wayne, listen your parents have a child. He´s not your brother and not your sister. Who is it?
Rooney: Wow boss this is difficult let me think about it ok?

So Rooney goes to every staff member and asks them but nobody knows. So frustrated he goes back to the cabin where he meets Gary Neville.
Rooney: Hey gary your parents have a child. He´s not your brother and not your sister. Who is it?
Gary: Hmm, well that´s easy that would be me then.
Rooney: Ok thanks mate.

fully excited he runs towards his coach.

Rooney: hey coach I got the answer
Fergie: that took you a while. tell me
Rooney: well it´s Gary Neville
Fergie: no you dumb-ass it´s Raul Meireles

xD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)