The 2010 Vancouver Winter Olympics Games Thread

Firestorm

I did my best, I have no regrets!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus

Opening Ceremonies - 6:00 PM on February 12th
Closing Ceremonies - 5:30 PM on February 28th

Men's Gold Hockey - 12:15 PM on February 28th
Men's Bronze Hockey - 7:00 PM on February 27th
Women's Gold Hockey - 3:30 PM on February 25th
Women's Bronze Hockey - 11:00 AM on February 25th

Broadcasters
Australia - Nine Network, Foxtel
Brazil - Rede Record
Canada - CTV, Rogers Media
Czech Republic - Česká televize
Denmark - EBU
Germany - ARD, ZDF
Finland - YLE
France - France Télévisions
Europe - Eurosport
Hong Kong - Cable TV
Indonesia - RCTI, Global TV
Italy - RAI, SKY Italia
Japan - NHK, Fuji TV, Nippon Television
Mexico - Televisa, TV Azteca
Netherland - NOS
New Zealand - SKY Network Television
Philippines - Solar Entertainment
Poland - TVP
Russia - VGTRK
South Korea - SBS
Slovenia - RTV Slovenija
Spain - RTVE
Ukraine - NTKU
United Kingdom - BBC, Eurosport
United States - NBC

iPhone / iPod Touch Apps
NBC (USA)
CTV (Canada)
Vancouver 2010 (Vancouver)

CTV will have streams and downloads of Men's Hockey, Opening Ceremonies, and Closing Ceremonies on the Canadian Xbox Live Marketplace as well.

Eraddd

One Pixel
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Personally, I think the Olympics are a waste on the city, especially my hometown (that's why I'm trying to get the hell out, while the going's good so I don't get stuck with increases in taxes and a huge debt).

But anyways, all I'm looking forward to is the men's ice hockey, and ice skating. Ice hockey is going to be one hell of a ride.

RIP Nodar Kumaritashvili, the Georgian luger who died on a practice run today. I saw the video and the crash is horrific, however I'm sure it was far worse than it looked since the angle was pretty bad. Definitely casts a shadow on the opening ceremonies. Regardless, I'm really excited for this, especially since it's in my home country!

RIP Nodar Kumaritashvili, the Georgian luger who died on a practice run today. I saw the video and the crash is horrific, however I'm sure it was far worse than it looked since the angle was pretty bad. Definitely casts a shadow on the opening ceremonies. Regardless, I'm really excited for this, especially since it's in my home country!
did someone die?

Yeah, I'm looking forward to the winter olympics. Australia apparently stands a strong chance to get 3 gold medals which would be great for us.

I am going to visit vancouver next week for the games! My brother is an ice dancer; he and his partner qualified for these games and as such I got a free train ticket across the country and free accomodations/tickets/etc. I am very excited! I even snagged a pair of men's hockey semi-final tickets!

Eraddd

One Pixel
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
did someone die?
Yes. Very auspicious start to the Olympics.

Anyways, I think this year Canada will take gold in men's hockey, meeting Russia in the finals. They're just too deep, and I think the pressure will help them to push harder.

I'm wondering why the walls were so low! The commentator to the video (Matt what's-his-name) said the walls were to prevent things like that, but the walls are so low it seems like anyone could flip out over them. Also they said he was a newer athlete on a course that was tough for even seasoned athletes, which I found extremely odd.

Also, I'm looking forward to the men's hockey! (Not unlike others, I see.)

Firestorm

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
CBC didnt even get the rights?

O-o
CTV bid more than double what CBC bid. Obviously CBC can't go on forever as they're funded by our taxes. As a result, we're going to get shitty CTV coverage instead of the CBC coverage we're used to. Just don't feel right =/

CTV is going to be losing a ton of money as they made the bid not realizing there would be a major recession. Advertising isn't as lucrative as they were hoping it would be.

Arkeis

(づ。◕‿‿◕。)づ
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
-It snowed everywhere in the US but not in Vancouver
-Someone dies before the games even begin

Wow...

Also were they just playing Pirates of the Caribbean music?!?

About the guy that died, what the hell were they thinking when they designed that course! They said that about 15 Athletes had lost control during test runs, and someone was already hurt really badly in a test run. Why would they design a course so deadly!

Jackal

I'm not retarded I'm Canadian it's different
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
when you are travelling that fast and you suddenly stop, your organs probably would not be able to handle that... i really dont think padding would have helped.

terrible start to the games, and already puts a dark mark on my countries chance to showcase themselves to the world. i cant even describe how sad I am about this, and how unfair it really is for this man.

Hopefully his family finds the strength to make it through this.

jackal is right. imagine going 130 km/h and then going 0km/h in the span of lets say 0.1 seconds. Thats a decelleration of 361 m/s pretty much 37 times more than gravity. That type of force is going to kill you no matter if there is padding or not. The only "real" solution is either make the walls REALLY high so no one can fly out, OR surround the course with a mesh net so that the decelleration the human body experiences is much ,much lower

Dale Begg-Smith came 2nd in Moguls :(. However that result is great for Australia (considering he is really Canadian).

Firestorm

If you live near Vancouver, go downtown. It's an absolutely amazing atmosphere right now. So pumped up =) God I feel like giving into my inner consumer and buying a crapton of Team Canada stuff.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)