The Anime / Manga Thread (MK2) | Beware Spoilers

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you are a regular manga reader and you are not reading Kaguya-sama wa Kokurasetai: Tensai-tachi no Renai Zunousen, you need to immediately start reading it now. This is a rom com to rival Wagatsuma-San. I guarantee you that it will get an anime in the near future.

The premise is the school president and vice president have crushes on each other and they are both insanely smart and so they play games of cat and mouse in order to force the other to admit that they have a crush. The mind games are deep but hilarious and each punchline is fresh and every chapter feels like you are on the edge. You want to root for one or the other to win, but ultimately know that they will cuck the other given the chance. It's absolutely hilarious.

Also the narration is A+++.
Thank you for the recommendation. I just read the whole thing (at least as much that has been released), it was wonderful and hilarious. For anybody else wondering, I would describe it as if death note was put into a rom com highschool setting and took itself less serious. The one thing I found annoying though is that it reminds the reader of the premise everytime.

Acklow

I am always tired. Don't bother me.
Pretty sure that's because it is still fairly new and because it takes on an episodic nature with each and every chapter. This should definitely help it transition into an anime as it will provide for some really solid narrator-character fourth-wall breaking action.

brightobject

there like moonlight
is a Top Artistis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
guys read manga adaptation of all you need is kill, its what inspired the western movie edge of tmorrow starring tom cruise and its good

Pretty sure that's because it is still fairly new and because it takes on an episodic nature with each and every chapter. This should definitely help it transition into an anime as it will provide for some really solid narrator-character fourth-wall breaking action.
I understand why, just irritating when reading all the chapters at once

Stellar

of the Distant Past
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
just when u thought mayoiga was winning the retard race here comes big order barrelling down the track
calm ur mountains

Also rodan and I watched yesterday's re:zero and it was intense as hell. It's one of the few anime I've seen that actually has tangible emotional weight to it.

Last edited by a moderator:
calm ur mountains

Also rodan and I watched yesterday's re:zero and it was intense as hell. It's one of the few anime I've seen that actually has tangible emotional weight to it.
there are, um, many other shows with tangible emotional weight out there.

problem I have with re:zero specifically is that it has glorified light novel nonsense drama that's impossible to take seriously. the animation carries the show hard though, so it's still pretty good when you come down to it. just... not for me.

Stellar

of the Distant Past
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
I wasn't contesting your first point, just stating that I haven't seen any that pull on my heartstrings as much as re:zero (particularly this episode). I watch/read shonen and shonen isn't usually the most emotionally engaging... Yeah it's fun and entertaining, but you lose a sense of scale when characters are capable or creating and destroying worlds at whim. See Bleach/Naruto for obvious examples.

I guess the difference is that most shonen are capable of making me understand characters, but this episode of re:zero actually made me feel.

I wasn't contesting your first point, just stating that I haven't seen any that pull on my heartstrings as much as re:zero (particularly this episode). I watch/read shonen and shonen isn't usually the most emotionally engaging... Yeah it's fun and entertaining, but you lose a sense of scale when characters are capable or creating and destroying worlds at whim. See Bleach/Naruto for obvious examples.

I guess the difference is that most shonen are capable of making me understand characters, but this episode of re:zero actually made me feel.
oh, okay, that perspective helps. you should definitely try broadening your horizons then if you have the time. short shows like madoka come to mind. or, if you haven't, try fullmetal alchemist. might be exactly the type of shounen you're looking for. there's hunter x hunter too.

there are, um, many other shows with tangible emotional weight out there.

problem I have with re:zero specifically is that it has glorified light novel nonsense drama that's impossible to take seriously. the animation carries the show hard though, so it's still pretty good when you come down to it. just... not for me.

I have heard this is like a child of Steins;Gate x NGNL. Is this true? If so, which is it more similar to? I didn't particular enjoy SG, but I thought it was good (if that makes sense). I couldn't get into NGNL though because of the weird ecchi-lolicon stuff. I'm done with school so I finally have time to catch up on some animus and want to start with something good. I left off in like summer 2015 but from what I hear Re:Zero is like the show of the season so I'm considering it.

I have heard this is like a child of Steins;Gate x NGNL. Is this true? If so, which is it more similar to? I didn't particular enjoy SG, but I thought it was good (if that makes sense). I couldn't get into NGNL though because of the weird ecchi-lolicon stuff. I'm done with school so I finally have time to catch up on some animus and want to start with something good. I left off in like summer 2015 but from what I hear Re:Zero is like the show of the season so I'm considering it.
it's by the same studio who did steins;gate so it has the same flair. actually even the plot is similar. and the mcs have their stupid moments. yeah okay it's really similar to steins;gate apparently. and it'll go on for 24/26 episodes. a little far from ngnl though.

yeah you can give it a shot, but if you don't like it it's not the only big show this season (kabaneri of the iron fortress is similar to attack on titan, and my hero academia is... similar to one punch man... sort of. oh yeah, watch one punch man if you haven't!)

Stellar

of the Distant Past
oh, okay, that perspective helps. you should definitely try broadening your horizons then if you have the time. short shows like madoka come to mind. or, if you haven't, try fullmetal alchemist. might be exactly the type of shounen you're looking for. there's hunter x hunter too.
Don't get me wrong, I've read all of those already. My manga repertoire is pretty extensive. I'm not really sure how to explain this... I greatly enjoyed all of those series, but I never hurt alongside the characters. I understood what they were going through, but Subaru's / maid's outbursts just seemed more real?

Don't get me wrong, I've read all of those already. My manga repertoire is pretty extensive. I'm not really sure how to explain this... I greatly enjoyed all of those series, but I never hurt alongside the characters. I understood what they were going through, but Subaru's / maid's outbursts just seemed more real?
whoops

well I didn't feel something too special from the episode so it's hard for me to relate, but if I have to put my finger on something it's that they really emphasized the drama. like, shock reaction faces, cinematography, pacing, etc.. It's probably re:zero's strong suit. there were some things that were done really well.

I liked how they presented the fact that subaru can't talk about his power. it was chilling. for example.

Asek

Banned deucer.
idk about u guys but BHA is definitely my shounen feels show this season. Last ep was beautifully exectued imo, and even tho the show is a massive bag of cliche's and tropes everything is executed so well that it comes together to make something quite spectacular. Not to mention it is incredibly well animated + the score is brilliant. The MC's struggle is something that has been showed quite well and even though everything is running quite slowly, this only contributes to how well fleshed out everything feels.

I really don't think we've ever had a better anime season ever. If anybody who's been watching anime longer than me is willing to contest this please speak up, but I've never been enjoying so much to such a great extent simultaenously.

Fall 2014 is still my fav, had a bunch of 8-9/10s in Shirobako/Parasyte/SDS/Fate UBW/Cross Ange and then a ton of fun 6-7/10s like Amagi/Grisaia/Trinity Seven/Twintails/Bahamut/Chaika s2/Gundam BFT. This season seems pretty strong, will have to wait until it's over to say for sure though.

I'm liking Hero Academia but the pacing is definitely bringing it down a bit and that's just made worse by the fact that it's apparently only scheduled for 13 episodes

BLOOD TOTEM

braine damaged
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
hi it me

so i made one of those 3x3 things to showcase my favorite anime, it was kinda fun so i did it for manga too and now i am posting them here and talking about my picks!

note - they're not rly in order of preference or anything i just kinda threw them in
I'll be talking about them from left to right top to bottom meaning our first pick is Top! Wo Neare 2, or Diebuster. One of two studio Gainax shows to make the list, this is the sequel to Gunbuster a critically acclaimed super robot series that went on to inspire future Gainax creations like Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann. The reason Diebuster appears on my 3x3 over Gunbuster is mostly because I love the characters, art direction and story. I found it hard to enjoy Gunbuster because it felt really dated whereas Diebuster's crisp animation and bright colours made it easy to fall in love with. The OP is one of the catchiest songs out there and the ending has a cool sound too. The whole shounen "BELIEVE TO ACHIEVE" kind of ethos is kind of grating in a show like TTGL where you have to sit through it for 26 episodes or something, but for a short OVA series like Diebuster it's much less in your face. Even with the smaller timeframe there is certainly plenty of character development and it's easy to get invested with the plot.

Next up is Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei. This is probably my favorite comedy anime, a couple of the gags are 2japanese4u and go over my head, but on the whole the humor is universal and usually very funny. A lot of comedy anime in a highschool environment is heavy on "oh no the mc fell into the female leads breasts" but SZS doesn't thankfully opts for more interesting gags. The show features lots of different characters each with their own dysfunctional quirk that lets them bring a unique dynamic to the gags. The voice cast is also phenomenal, maybe it's just my familiarity with SHAFT's usual picks, but I feel like they play their roles excellently. The openings are pretty unusual compared to most anime but I grew to love them fairly quickly, the art direction and heavy vocals really fit the tone of the show.

In the third slot is Hidamari Sketch, an anime about art students living in a small apartment block. To be able to watch three seasons of a slice of life without being bored to tears is one thing, but to enjoy it is another and I really enjoyed this one. SHAFT's art style definitely helped by giving it varied, and interesting presentation. Beyond that I think it's down to the characters themselves. Even if the subject of conversation was mundane, the way they all bounced off each other and brought their own subtle quirks and interpretation to the conversation could make it seem fun and lively. The OST helps add to the comfy feeling of the show, tracks instantly make you recall certain scenes and feelings which makes watching it more enjoyable. Whilst there's not a great deal of depth to the show, there are various dramas which keep it interesting and fresh.

Starting on the next row we have a little known gem called Cromartie High School. I wasn't sure if I was going to add this one, but I rewatched a few episodes and remembered how much I loved it. It's compromised of 26 10 minute shorts about a normal guy in a highschool full of delinquents. This anime had an exceptionally low budget, so a lot of the early humor plays to that, but as time goes on it becomes more sophisticated. The characters are fleshed out and we see them reacting to surreal scenarios in hilarious and overkill ways. I prefer Cromartie to other whacky low budget anime like Inferno Cop because both the characters and the scenarios are funnier, and more interesting. This is by no means a perfect anime with a great deal of artistic merit, but it's something that I had a lot of fun watching and thoroughly enjoyed.

In the center spot lies Mushishi. Slow paced and super interesting is the way I would describe this anime. It follows Ginko, a mushishi (a sort of medicine man / exorcist type dude) who helps wanders the country and helps people with their problems. The anime is episodic in nature, very few characters are revisted, the only regular character being Ginko himself. What makes this anime interesting is the variety of landcapes, scenarios, and characters that he meets and deals with. What is particularly enjoyable is the responses of the people he meets, some are uncooperative while some immediately allow him to get to work. Furthermore, not every episode ends with the issue being solved, sometimes characters will die and other times they are forced to live with their problems. This helps to keep the story varied and gets rid of the whole "well everything will work out for the MC in the end" mentality that a lot of anime struggles with.

The last pick on this row is the End of Evangelion. It's difficult to talk about this movie because it's so out there and weird. After watching the TV series you think you know what you're in for going into this movie but I guarantee you do (not) have a clue. I spent most of the time watching this completely aghast, the visuals and audio made for what was often harrowing viewing. It's precisely because of this that it's interesting though. EoE is something that pushes you out of your comfort zone and makes you think about things that you don't really want to think about. Shinji is a very human character and his actions and feelings in the movie embody a lot of feelings that I'm sure everyone has had at some stage in their life. The scene where Komm Susser Todd is playing in the background is probably one of the greatest spectacles in all of anime, it's so grand in scale and left me feeling awestruck.

Kicking off the bottom row is Arakawa Under the Bridge which has a somewhat lighter tone that my previous choice. This is a comedy anime about a collection of some of the most unique characters in any anime who live under a bridge. The anime follows a successful businessman who ends up unintentionally joining the bridge dwellers and falling in love with Nino, a girl who claims to be from Venus. The unique setting and characters allows for some fun and quirky gags which is complimented by SHAFT's stellar presentation style. This is another anime with great voice casting, with Kamiya Hiroshi playing SHAFT male MC number 1billion. Definitely a fun anime to pick up if you're looking for a comedy outside of the highschool setting. If you don't think it's too hot after the first episode, give it some time because it comes into its own once the characters have been fleshed out.

Second to last on the 3x3 is Little Witch Academia. Go away KLK, this is Trigger's best work. I watched this fairly recently and loved every second of it, the animation is superb and every frame looks great. Trigger knows how to make stuff look good, and given the nature of LWA as two OVAs they had enough budget to do so for the whole thing unlike Kill La Kill which was horribly inconsistent. Both the characters and the plot are really charming. Despite being fairly short in length you get a real sense of every single relevant characters personality and you can see all the little traits that make them interesting. Whilst the plot is nothing revolutionary, it's fun and exciting and makes you feel happy. It almost plays out like a disney film in that you like the main character and everything just sorta ends up going right for them and there's a nice happy ending.

Katanagatari finds itself in the final slot. The title literally translates to sword story and god damn, what a story it is. It follows Yasuri Schichika and Togame the strategian in an episodic format as the collect Shikizaki Kikis 12 Deviant Blades. What makes it interesting is that Schichika doesn't fights with his bare hands rather than a sword. Despite being episodic we learn a lot about every character, even if they are only visited once. Nisio Isin's writing style comes across as there is not one hell of a lot of dialogue and not a great deal of action, however when there is action it's punchy fast and exciting. The OST really compliments the setting and makes the fights in particular feel like they carry a lot of weight. The final episode is possibly the greatest final episodes of any anime, it's difficult to talk about in great dealing without spoiling it, but it's explosive and a lot of people get punched.
I'm actually bored af of writing so i will just post a little for the manga.

Berserk - "That thing was too big to be called a sword. Too big, too thick, too heavy and too rough. It was more like a large hunk of Iron." Awesome manga which gets great art about 2000 pages in or so. The story, setting, and characters with their interesting aspirations make this manga a great pick.

Solanin - By the same author as Oyasumi Punpun, but a lot more down to earth. A fairly short manga that follows a group of drifters trying to get by and do their best. Great art and story which is really punchy despite the short length.

Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou - Comfy slice of life. Nothing really happens in this manga but the art is beautiful and despite being inconsequential it's still interesting.

Sundome - Well I guess this one is kind of a hentai? Uh whatever, it's really fucking good, not like you can jack off to it anyway because the art is fucking weird. I can't really explain this one but I found it really unique and enjoyed the story a lot once it began to develop.

Steel Ball Run - JoJo on horseback. The corpse of Jesus. The US president wants you dead. >whitetext spoiler DIO <

Sakamoto Desu Ga? - Unique comedy with some hilarious over the top gags.

Nasuica - Charming lead in an imaginative world flying through the skies and doing cool shit, also there's a war going on in the background.

Medeka Box - Nisio Isin creates some awesome characters in a shounen featuring some of the most imaginative fights going, later arcs arent great but any time Kumagawa is about this manga is awesome.

Yotsuba& - 404 girl manga is just fun and comfy :C
So uh, yeah. Feel free to ask questions, make ur own or just ignore this. I'm not rly sure why I made this post but it was something to do i guess.

Ya if there's any recent season to contest this one it's Fall 14. Too early to say which was better, but 14 was really hype. Shirobako, Your Lie in April, Parasyte, Fate/Stay Night, Psycho-Pass, Mushishi, Bahamut Genesis, Garo, Amagi Brilliant Park and some others Fishin metioned.

RODAN

Banned deucer.

from top left; Milennium Actress, Tatami Galaxy, Digimon Tamers, Kemonozume, Kekkai Sensen, Gunbuster, Jojo, Champloo, End of Evangelion

so it's a little bit in order, top left -> bottom right etc.
eva has been my favourite ever since I first watched it, every single rewatch offers a new perspective.
ccs was probably my first actual anime, I had a cousin with fansubbed vhs of the first season, and sakura was my first ever crush.
eureka seven is, in my opinion, the most complete anime in that it just has everything.
perfect blue is the tone I wanted kon to follow through with. while the technical ability of his films improved in strides I always wanted the edge and visceral humanity of perfect blue back.
casshern sins is just plain beautiful.
zeta is the best gundam and if you disagree you are wrong.
abenobashi is such a lovely show made by so many talented people. few shows have the kind of passion and love put into them as this.
child soldiers is a trope I normally hate, and now and then, here and there has so many things I normally don't like, but its just so well executed at a very basic level.
then windy stories was tossed in here because it's nice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)