The Anti-Meta

The Anti-Meta

Hey Guys.
This is my first RMT and first post on this account. I am not new here, though I took a pretty lengthy break from competitive battling recently. I had a little trouble getting back into the game, not knowing the new meta, but eventually found my way through some experimenting. This team is a result of that experimenting. I found a bunch of Pokemon that I felt to be really good in the current meta and threw them on a team. It has shown great success, currently 1700+ on the Showdown ladder and still winning effortlessly.

Landorus

Trait: Sheer Force
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 Spd / 252 SAtk
Naive Nature
- Earth Power
- Focus Blast
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- U-turn

Role:
Landorus is my lead 70% of the time. It can come in and get a quick U-Turn off and scout out the opponent. It is also one of my two major checks to dragons, easily taking them out. Beyond that, it also checks threats, such as Terrakion, Breloom, and Lati@s. Early game, Landorus will work in combination with Jirachi and Rotom to rack up some quick damage by Turning in and out. Mid game he can be used to keep picking away at some Pokes, take out some threats, or be a bit of a wall if I'm in a potentially bad spot. Late game Landorus becomes a special sweeper. Backed by Sheer Force and a great special attack stat, it can come in and clean up weakened foes with ease. Landorus is by far one of the most important Pokemon on this team, due to its versatility. It is incredibly good in the current meta.

Moves:
Earth Power: Strong special attack with stab and Sheer Force Boost.
Focus Blast: Bah.. I hate this attack. Hits the likes of Tyranitar and Ferrothorn, though, both of which I can usually take an attack from if it happens to miss.
Hidden Power [Ice]: Takes out Dragons and Gliscor
U-Turn: Scarf Landorus always seems to have this attack. Though this one is a special attacker, it still has a good attack stat, so U-Turn is a good option. Also provides synergy with Rachi and Rotom.

Jirachi

Trait: Serene Grace
EVs: 4 Hp / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Iron Head
- Ice Punch
- ThunderPunch
- U-turn

Role:
This is an uncommon Jirachi set that I picked up somewhere on here. Someone mentioned using Scarf with Ice Punch to take out Dragons. This stuck in my head while I was building this team. I knew I wanted a Jirachi from the beginning, so I thought I'd try it. Man, is it awesome! Combined with a scarf Landorus it gets even better, because they cover each other's weaknesses pretty well. Rachi does basically the same role as Landorus, just on the physical side. It also has a very nice element of surprise, which can either get me off to a huge advantage early or can be disguised to be abused later. Many a Garchomp has died to this thing. When I'm not against a Sun team and I'm not leading with Landorus, Jirachi is my lead.

Moves:
Iron Head: Flinch, Flinch, Flinch.
Ice Punch: Outspeed and kill those unsuspecting Dragons.
Thunder Punch: Coverage Move. Takes out Rain threats late game.
U-Turn: Part of the Turn core with Landorus and Rotom.

Rotom-Wash

Trait: Levitate
EVs: 252 Hp / 252 SAtk / 4 Spd
Modest Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split

Role:
I absolutely love this Pokemon. It has never let me down. I decided to go back to my simple bulky power Rotom. I needed something to compliment Latias and Jirachi and this fit right in. Usually doesn't make much of an appearance early game, unless it is needed to keep the Turn core going, but mid game it shines very brightly. Passing around Will-O-Wisp is huge sometimes. It cripples physical sweepers and gets residual damage going on walls. The most common switch-in to this thing is Ferrothorn and getting that thing burned is incredible. I don't usually like to switch Heracross in on it, fearing T-Wave and Leech Seed, and I can only bluff the HP Fire on Latias so many times. Rotom also checks Rain teams very well.

Moves:
Volt Switch: Kinda Standard stab move here.
Hydro Pump: Y u no know Surf?
Will-O-Wisp: Amazing status move.
Pain Split: Bulky sets have to use Pain Split, since it's the only form of recovery.

Latias

Trait: Levitate
EVs: 248 Hp / 192 Spd / 24 SDef / 44 SAtk
Timid Nature
- Dragon Pulse
- Surf
- Thunder Wave
- Roost

Role:
Dear God, why is this not on every team? This is one of the best Pokemon in the game, hands down. Checks pretty much everything except dragons (sometimes gets them anyway), Tyranitar, and Scizor. I took the set from someone on here; don't remember your name, sorry. I quickly realized just how good it was. This is my check to Rain, Sun, more specifically Keldeo, Venusaur, Heatran, etc... Synergizes very well with Jirachi and Rotom for type coverage. Also passes around Paralysis, which plays a big part in eliminating some threats and setting up a late game sweep for Heracross. I can't place a value on this Latias. It means everything to this team.

Moves:
Dragon Pulse: Stab. Draco isn't good on defensive Latias, obviously.
Surf: In a meta dominated by Rain, surf gets a boost and HP Fire gets nerfed.
Thunder Wave: Helps take out fast threats and set up Heracross sweeps.
Roost: Recovery on an annoyingly bulky Mon is always nice!

Tyranitar

Trait: Sand Stream
EVs: 108 Hp / 252 Atk / 76 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Crunch
- Stone Edge
- Pursuit
- Stealth Rock

Role:
It's not what you think. Sand means absolutely nothing to this team. While I did start the team with the idea of it being a sand team, that quickly changed when I saw that absolutely nothing benefited from it. Tyranitar's job is to come in after the opponent's weather inducer is gone and take away their advantage. It also sets up rocks and gets rid of pesky Ghosts and the Latis. This helps set up a Heracross sweep, as these otherwise wall it completely. Though T-Tar is probably the least valuable member of the team, he's a nice role player and I'd like to keep him around. Every battle, it does something little to help me grab a win.

Moves:
Crunch: Power Dark stab.
Stone Edge: Rock stab.
Pursuit: Get rid of Ghosts and Lati@s/Celebi to help Heracross sweep.
Stealth Rock: Best move in the game, though I win most of my games without getting these up.

Heracross

Trait: Moxie
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd / 4 HP
Adamant Nature
- Close Combat
- Megahorn
- Stone Edge
- Sleep Talk

Role:
The big sweeper of the team. For some reason, people forget about this bug. He is an absolute force right now! It has immense power and can sweep almost entire teams right now. Having access to stab Close Combat and Megahorn make it potent already, but giving it a huge attack stat, a Choice Band, and Moxie? You've got yourself one hell of a sweeper. It can also come in on Breloom and take it out unsuspectingly. That is if Sleep Talk doesn't use Stone Edge.... Every.. Single.. Time... Bah. I never send Heracross out early game and he usually doesn't even see play mid game. He is strictly and late game sweeper, and he does his job very, very well.

Moves:
Close Combat: Yeah.
Megahorn: Yeah.
Stone Edge: Hits what the stabs don't hit.
Sleep Talk: Hey, Brelom. Sup?

So there you have it. My anti-meta team. I am currently still laddering with it and will post where it peaks once I get there. In the meantime, please feel free to tear it apart, make fun of it, or tell me you slept with my mother if that's how you actually feel. Thanks, guys.

haunter

Banned deucer.
Hi, it seems that you have troubles with Volcarona. Nothing on your team can switch into it and after a QD it can rip it apart. I suggest that you switch your special Landorus to a physical sand force one. With a set of EQ\stone edge or rock slide\u-turn and hidden power ice and a naive nature. Since you're not using life orb, a sand force boosted EQ will generally hit harder than a sheer force earth power and with a physical rock move you can easily revenge kill Volcarona and other threats such as LO Tornadus. A physical set will also make your u-turn considerably stronger.

You also seem pretty weak to Scizor, especially the SD variant. Using fire punch over thunder punch on Jirachi would probably alleviate this problem.

Another possible problem might be spike stacking teams, since a common core of Ferrothorn+Gliscor is going to lay down SR and 3 layers of spikes with relative ease. In order to remedy this problem you might have to replace one of your Pokemon (preferably Heracross, although I realize it's what makes your team original) with a spinner or a magic bouncer. Xatu would also give you an insurance against Breloom.

I hope this helps and welcome to Smogon.

Hi, it seems that you have troubles with Volcarona. Nothing on your team can switch into it and after a QD it can rip it apart. I suggest that you switch your special Landorus to a physical sand force one. With a set of EQ\stone edge or rock slide\u-turn and hidden power ice and a naive nature. Since you're not using life orb, a sand force boosted EQ will generally hit harder than a sheer force earth power and with a physical rock move you can easily revenge kill Volcarona and other threats such as LO Tornadus. A physical set will also make your u-turn considerably stronger.

You also seem pretty weak to Scizor, especially the SD variant. Using fire punch over thunder punch on Jirachi would probably alleviate this problem.

Another possible problem might be spike stacking teams, since a common core of Ferrothorn+Gliscor is going to lay down SR and 3 layers of spikes with relative ease. In order to remedy this problem you might have to replace one of your Pokemon (preferably Heracross, although I realize it's what makes your team original) with a spinner or a magic bouncer. Xatu would also give you an insurance against Breloom.

I hope this helps and welcome to Smogon.
Volcarona can be a problem, yeah, but I can deal with it, usually. I'll give the physical Landorus a go, though.

Scizor has never been a problem for me. Well, initially it was, but I learned to cope with it. Haven't had much of a problem with it while laddering so far. I have considered Fire Punch on Rachi, just haven't tried it yet. It's nice to get some quick KO's on stuff like Politoed and Keldeo. Fire Punch would help with me take out ferrothorn easier, though. Definitely will try it out.

Speaking of Ferrothorn... lol. Spikes are surprisingly not a problem at all. They're very easy to play around with this team. I'm not really gonna consider dropping Heracross for a Xatu, when I've had zero problem with spikes.

thanks for the suggestions and the welcome!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)