The Black Thunder Returns

Team Preview

This is a revision of my original Black Thunder team that I posted a couple of months ago. With the release of Poke Bank I am now able to play the team, but I still need some ratings and suggestions so that I can make this team a power house. Now let's begin the team.

The Team

@ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 248 HP / 172 Def / 88 Spd
Naive Nature
U-turn
Stealth Rock
Hidden Power [Ice]
Earthquake

The first member of my team is the wonderful Landorus-T. With his bulk, typing, and amazing attack stats he is a force to be wreckon with. I opted for him over Heatran for a couple of reasons. First off, he has more power. Even with no attack EVs invested Earthquake still hits like a truck and can KO a lot of threats that are weak to ground. He also helps take out opposing Heatran so that Mega Charizard X won't have to worry about them. Landorus-T is also slightly faster and will have an easier time getting rocks on the field. His only drawback is that he's weak to special attacks, but this is remedied by my next Pokemon.

@ Leftovers
Ability: Pixilate
EVs: 244 HP / 12 Def / 252 SDef
Calm Nature
Hyper Voice
Wish
Protect
Heal Bell

Sylveon's stats as well as its typing make it an awesome tank and a great supporter. I opted for the Cleric set to help support my team with Wishes and Heal Bell. It also allows Sylveon to survive many threats. Hyper Voice, combined with its ability Pixilate, gives Sylveon a reliable STAB that can bypass subs. Wish and Heal Bell keep Sylveon healthy while Protect gives her a free Wish if needed as well as the ability to scout. I changed the EVs and nature to make it a special tank as Landorus-T can handle any physical threats thank to its bulk and ability.

@ Leftovers
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Adamant Nature
Rapid Spin
Rock Slide
Swords Dance
Earthquake

Bye bye Celebi. D: Anyway, Excadrill replaces the onion fairy due to the fact that it isn't weak to Pursuit users like Tyranitar and whatnot. Not only that, but my team was in desperate need of a Rapid Spinner, which the steel mole does perfectly. I opted for a bulky spread because, without Sand Rush, investing in speed would be pointless. I also needed to keep Excadrill alive to insure I can keep trap hazards off my side of the field.
Thank you chimpact for the suggestion.

@ Charizardite X
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 248 HP / 88 SDef / 172 Spd
Jolly Nature
Dragon Claw
Roost
Will-O-Wisp
Flare Blitz

Mega Charizard X is a beast. Not only does it have amazing stats and movepool to act offensively, but it also has the potential to act as a bulky status inducer. This is what Mega Charizard X does for this team. By spreading burns via Will-O-Wisp he not only weakens opponent's team in general, but also screws up some physical attackers. Roost combos with this set to keep Mega Charizard X healthy while Dragon Claw acts as a powerful STAB. Flare Blitz is mainly there for backup, but even without any EV investment it packs a punch.

@ Life Orb
Ability: Teravolt
EVs: 56 HP / 216 SAtk / 236 Spd
Hasty Nature
Fusion Bolt
Roost
Ice Beam
Earth Power

Here he is. The star of the team. He's big, he's bad, and he's ready to rampage through Gen 6 with an iron (or to be more specific icy) fist. Despite its nerf, Ice Beam still acts as Kyurem-B's STAB and is not something you want to be hit by. Fusion Bolt acts as his physical attack to use against special walls like Blissey/Chansey. Earth Power rounds off the set by hitting steel types that are resistant to Ice Beam. Roost is also there for the obvious recovery from both damage and Life Orb recoil.

@ Leftovers
Ability: Hydration
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
Surf
Ice Beam
Tail Glow
Energy Ball​

The final member of my team, Manaphy is my answer to my team's weakness to Water types. I opted for a full offensive set with Tail Glow because Manpahy needs to do as much damage as possible in case Kyurem-B falls. Not only that, but with Sylveon prodiving Wish support I don't need to rely on Rest+Hydration to keep it healthy. Moveset and EV spread is pretty much self-explanatory.
Thank you chimpact for the suggestion.

Import
Landorus-Therian (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 248 HP / 172 Def / 88 Spd
Naive Nature
- U-turn
- Stealth Rock
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Earthquake

Sylveon (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Pixilate
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 244 HP / 12 Def / 252 SDef
Calm Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Wish
- Protect
- Heal Bell

Excadrill (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Adamant Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Rock Slide
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake

Charizard (M) @ Charizardite X
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 248 HP / 88 SDef / 172 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Claw
- Roost
- Will-O-Wisp
- Earthquake

Kyurem-Black @ Life Orb
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Hasty Nature
- Fusion Bolt
- Roost
- Ice Beam
- Earth Power

Manaphy @ Leftovers
Ability: Hydration
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Surf
- Ice Beam
- Tail Glow
- Energy Ball

Last edited:

BASED

Banned deucer.
Hi I am of course here to give you a rate. I would like to say that this is a pretty solid team its just that some of your sets are pretty odd so this rate might be a little nitpicky. Let's not waste anymore time and just get into the rate.

First of all Earth Power on Heatran is pretty useless without any investment or STAB it is pretty weak so I would strongly recommend you put Toxic instead. Toxic can catch things that switch into Heatran off guard and quickly whittles them down. Secondly I would definitely put Giga Drain > Energ Ball on Celebi this change to me seems pretty obvious the extra HP is a lot more important than the power especially since this is a bulky Celebi. The Charizard set if definitely interesting but it actually puts in some work and throws opponents off guard so I really thought I should just mention that. Okay next actual suggestion I have is Substitute>Roost and Kyurem-B because to be honest Kyurem-B behind a sub is easily one of the scariest things in this meta and just shits on everything. Furthermore if you change to substitute you should also put Leftovers>Life Orb because Sub+Life Orb wears it down to quickly. One last nitpick is that you should definitely put Roost>Surf on Latios because overall it is more useful than surf.

TL;DR Changes :]

Heatran (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SDef
Calm Nature
- Lava Plume
- Taunt
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic

Celebi @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 248 HP / 72 Def / 164 SDef / 24 Spd
Calm Nature
IVs: 14 Atk
- Giga Drain
- Recover
- Leech Seed
- Thunder Wave

Kyurem-Black @ Leftovers
EVs: 56 HP / 216 SAtk / 236 Spd
Hasty Nature
- Fusion Bolt
- Substitute
- Ice Beam
- Earth Power

Latios (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Psyshock
- Roost
- Defog
- Draco Meteor​

chimpact

fire nation
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
I understand that Celebi is your favorite pokemon, but it's not going to be too effective especially on a team like this. I would replace it immediately for an excadrill as it supports charizard much better than latios. With Excadrill your team is less vulnerable to pursuit users like tyranitar which can do some big damage to your team and rapid spin is a more stable way to get rocks off the field.

With a rapid spinner on your team, you have no need for latios. if you go with my suggestions you're actually removing two water resistances and adding an extra weakness, so pokemon like greninja/manaphy get more opportunities to switch in and do some damage. Adding your own manaphy would not be a bad idea. It benefits greatly from sylveon's wish support, forms a nice core with KyuB, and it's just a great switch when you expect a ground type to come in on char so you can double into manaphy.

Additionally charizard X definitely needs to have EQ over Flare blitz to hit heatran. it's a great switch in to will o wisp and it can easily come in and out vs your charizard after knowing your moveset.

I understand that Celebi is your favorite pokemon, but it's not going to be too effective especially on a team like this. I would replace it immediately for an excadrill as it supports charizard much better than latios. With Excadrill your team is less vulnerable to pursuit users like tyranitar which can do some big damage to your team and rapid spin is a more stable way to get rocks off the field.

With a rapid spinner on your team, you have no need for latios. if you go with my suggestions you're actually removing two water resistances and adding an extra weakness, so pokemon like greninja/manaphy get more opportunities to switch in and do some damage. Adding your own manaphy would not be a bad idea. It benefits greatly from sylveon's wish support, forms a nice core with KyuB, and it's just a great switch when you expect a ground type to come in on char so you can double into manaphy.

Additionally charizard X definitely needs to have EQ over Flare blitz to hit heatran. it's a great switch in to will o wisp and it can easily come in and out vs your charizard after knowing your moveset.
Ah okay. Thank you for your suggestions.

Hmm...do you have a moveset suggestion for Manaphy? I haven't used it before so I don't know what it's good at.

lol i legit hav like hav almost team as u but heres wut id recomend your team lacks speed so scarf latios but keep defog its kinda gimickybut with the right moves it works. also only if u want to switch sylveon for rotom-w since it creats a fwg core

Ah okay. Thank you for your suggestions.

Hmm...do you have a moveset suggestion for Manaphy? I haven't used it before so I don't know what it's good at.
For manaphy I usually see a tail glow set,

-Tail Glow
-Surf
-Ice Beam
- Energy Ball / Psychic
ability: Hydration
item: Leftovers / Life Orb
nature: Timid
evs: 252 SpA / 4 SDef / 252 Spe

but if you want a little bit more bulk a clam mind set can be good as well

-Calm Mind
- Rest
- Rain Dance
-Scald
ability: Hydration
item: Leftovers
nature: Bold
evs: 252 HP / 236 Def / 20 Spe

hope this helps

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)