The Counterpick Tourney - Signups

Status
Not open for further replies.
Approved by the Tourney Mod team!

The Counterpick Tourney

Introduction:

In Pokemon, we build our teams based on what we think everyone else will be doing. We have know knowledge (usually) of what our opponents will be using to build our team to. For this tournament, your picks will be based on what your opponent chooses to use.

Counterpicking rules

• Both you and your opponent will have to go through picking teams.
  • The person listed first in the matchup will choose the first Pokemon. The second person will then choose 2 Pokemon. Once this is done, the first person picks 2. For example:
  • Code:
    [3:09pm]Nachos:I pick Heatran
    [3:10pm]twash:I pick Starmie and Flygon
    [3:11pm]Nachos:I pick Tyranitar and Swampert
    [3:13pm]twash:I pick Breloom and Gliscor
    [3:15pm]Nachos:I pick Dragonite and Gengar
    [3:17pm]twash:I pick Vaporeon and Metagross
    [3:19pm]Nachos:I pick Zapdos
  • This can be done either via Smogon PM or IRC.
  • Both people can pick the same Pokemon.
  • You need to name which specific Rotom forme you plan on using, if you want to use it.
  • You don't need to tell your opponent your EVs, Items, Nature, Moves, ect.
  • After picking your teams, both people will forward me the conversation. (Don't worry. I have a huge PM box)
  • If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

General Tournament Rules:
  • General tournament rules and regulations can be found here.
  • This is a single-battle, 4th generation OU tournament.
  • The banlists for this tournament are the same as for the ladders of the Smogon University server of Pokemon Online.
  • There will be a two and a half week time limit time for each round of the tournament. (Extensions for active members who simply cannot get together are OK) When signing up for the tournament, keep this in mind, as I will not hesitate to remove inactive players at the end of rounds or flip coins.
  • Only sign up if you plan on being active through the whole tournament, as well as being in contact with your opponent.

Battle Rules:
  • Evasion Clause
  • Sleep Clause
  • OHKO Clause
  • Self-KO Clause
  • Species Clause
  • Strict Damage Clause
  • Timed Battle
Participants:

in

---

Also, a problem I see with this idea is the advantage that the person that picks first gets. You allow the person that picks first to only choose 1 Pokemon. Then the 2nd person chooses two Pokemon. Well here's the problem with this:

Player 1: Chooses Heatran
Player 2: Chooses Vaporeon and Scizor
Player 1: Now looking at Player 2's picks, Player 1 can easily take advantage by choosing a Pokemon that can handle both of Player 2's Pokemon. And since Player 1 gets TWO picks, he can choose Zapdos (to handle Vaporeon and Scizor) and something like Machamp.
Player 2: Now player two has a disadvantage. Player 2 must now have a counter to both Zapdos and Machamp with 1 Pokemon in order to take advantage. But thats seems pretty impossible, so Player 2 chooses Celebi and Tyranitar.

Player 1 currently has 3 pokes
Player 2 currently has 4 pokes

Player: 1 Now Player 1 takes the advantage again as Player 2 has more Pokemon. So Player 1 can work on two Pokemon to take advantage of Player 2's picks (Vaporeon, Scizor, Celebi, Tyranitar). So Player 1 chooses Infernape and Rotom-H.

Player 2: Now Player 2 tries to take advantage from Player 1's picks (Heatran, Zapdos, Machamp, Infernape, Rotom-H). To take care of Infernape and Rotom-h, Player 2 picks Starmie and Heatran.

Player 1: Now Player 1 has the biggest advantage here. Why? Because he now gets to pick the final Pokemon. Here he can pick something big in order to fix his team's weakness.

Player 1's team: Heatran, Zapdos, Machamp, Infernape, Rotom-H
Player 2's team: Vaporeon, Scizor, Celebi, Tyranitar, Starmie, Heatran

So Player 1 can now look over his weaknesses, and unlike Player 2, he can choose the final Pokemon to take the biggest advantage.

Ofcourse the examples I chose aren't supposed to be the best examples, but to give you an idea how advantageous it is for Player 1 over Player 2.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)