The Dark Horse Project (RU Edition)

Agreed with slory, if you're going to run speed at all, you should probably accompany it with as much power as possible. Offensive Miltank is incredibly unique in that it can break down walls, cure your team of status, take a hit, heal up and fall back to a healthy teammate. However this exact role can be contested by LO Clefable. The biggest advantage Miltank has over Clefable is that rocking 100 base speed stat, but Clefable's immunity to hazards, status, and recoil makes it tough competition.

That being said, I want to try out that Miltank myself. I'll report back with results.
Don't forget Sap Sipper, its an amazing switch-in to Tangrowth and Lilligant

Alright, updated up to Molk DH change #5 or something (.-.)! That said, its cool to hear your thoughts on Golurk, I'd have to agree it does act as a very sound 1-'mon "core" thanks to its typing. Just a few thoughts on this and that:

Megapants: Thanks for your insight on Golurk and Exeggutor, admittedly I haven't seen SubSeed Eggy used to good effect before but your team definitely seems to build to its strengths, which definitely helps. Just as some minor suggestions, looking at your team it looks pretty solid, but I would suggest dropping TSpikes on Qwilfish for straight Spikes. Confliciting status looks to be kinda a big issue, and losing the ability to paralyze what you want seems much more detrimental to your team, and with Nidoqueen as popular as it is maintaing TSpikes is a pretty big hassle most of the time. You also might want to try run Lum+SD over Lefties and Waterfall on Kabutops so that your team has a better immediate answer to Smeargle as well as a win condition for late-game. Oh, and Sleep Talk / HP Grass over Iron Head on Entei, since the only thing it hits hard is Regirock, and only Molk runs that anyway =)

Giustizia: I'm interested in your selection of Kingler. To me it looks as though it faces a lot of competition with Kabutops, who could run a set of SD l Rain Dance l Stone Edge l Waterfall to similar effect but with a strong secondary STAB and the ability to boost its Water-type attacks when it boosts its Speed as well, but I suppose its mono-Water typing could have its benefits. However, if I could make a suggestion, I'd suggest running either Swords Dance+Substitute since Substitute aims more to mitigate Speed anyway (plus it allows it to set up on bulky Water-types :O), or Swords Dance+Agility so as it could better take on either offensively or defensively oriented teams, respectively.

Good to see some discussion, keep it up ^_^

Pokemon Showdown! Username:Fuchsia Fox 4
Hall of Fame Standing: N/A
Dark Horse Pokemon Currently Working With: Tauros
Current Ladder Standing on Pokemon Showdown!: 1799±152

Changing my Dark Horse to Ludicolo with the Alt "Waaah"

Pokemon Showdown! Username: Waaah
Hall of Fame Standing: Gold
Dark Horse Pokemon Currently Working With: Ludicolo

Screenshot of HOF Standing:

I'll write about my "Learning and Discussion" thing later.
EDIT: o.o you wrote the wrong alt in the "Registered Participants" post, my alt has three As.

col49 said:
However, if I could make a suggestion, I'd suggest running either Swords Dance+Substitute since Substitute aims more to mitigate Speed anyway (plus it allows it to set up on bulky Water-types :O), or Swords Dance+Agility so as it could better take on either offensively or defensively oriented teams, respectively.
You're right in that the CB role works much better for Kabutops, so I've shifted the Kingler's focus. I now run it scarfed, and it becomes rather devastating when met by unprepared teams!

With a bit of entry hazard support, neutral crabhammer coming off of that 130 base attack is usually more than enough to finish off any dregs of a team left behind.

I've altered my OG set, with new moves to fit the now choice-locked crab.

Ranking update: 1712 ± 62 (provisional) 27-15-0

Alright, updated, and congrats to speed ghilliesniper for being the first to enter the hall of fame with Swellow ^_^ Would you care to share some advice with your fellow users on how you managed this?

On a side note, for the sake of exploration, I might as well enter this myself (I won't be eligible for winning anything, don't go accusing me of attempting to win my own project or anything '~').

Pokemon Showdown! Username: 88s
Hall of Fame Standing: None as of yet!
Dark Horse Pokemon Currently Working With: Articuno, Torterra
Current Ladder Standing: N/A

Here are the sets I'm working with:

Articuno @ Life Orb
Trait: Pressure
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Ice Beam
- Hurricane
- Roost
- Substitute

Torterra @ Life Orb
Trait: Overgrow
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Rock Polish
- Wood Hammer
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide

Currently running this Tauros set

Tauros (M) @ Choice Band
Trait: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SAtk / 252 Spd
Naive Nature

- Thrash
- Earthquake
- Fire Blast
- Stone Edge

It's been working out pretty well. I've got Thrash over Double Edge for suvivability. I've got an Acre of 1710 with a Glicko2 of 1799±63

Celever

i am town
is a Community Contributor
Pokemon showdown! username: idk my name
Dark horse pokemon: Hariyama
Screenshot of top 50 ladder rank: Jeez, I've just started
Dark horse pokemon complete set:
Hariyama @ Flame Orb
Trait: Guts
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Fake Out
- Ice Punch
- Cross Chop
- Bullet Punch

How did you choose your Dark Horse Pokemon for this project?
Well, I made a serious team and used hariyama on it. I then remembered that it has low usage and found it is viable to be a dark horse so I just though that I may as well.

How did you go about building a team for your Dark Horse Pokemon?
I decided to run a semi-stall team, so it has a few walls, and hariyama is for mid-game sweeping. Seems pretty solid, and if it turns out good it will end up an rmt so watch out for that! ;)

Do you think it is more difficult or less difficult to ladder with a Dark Horse Pokemon? Why?
Not really, since many dark horse pokemon are just as viable.

Sorry for the delay col49, homework took precedent last night but I found some free time today.

How did you choose your Dark Horse Pokemon for this project? What lead you to choose the Pokemon you did? Did you have regrets or were you happy with your selection?
I looked around first off at using something from NU, as using something from RU that's already very good such as Mesprit seemed to easy. I almost went with Golurk as I'v used it quite a bit before and my normal team focus is on either semi stall or bulky offense so it would have fit very well. However, I'm glad I didn't thanks to the number of people doing him, and instead I decided to go a very different route from my normal team building process with this project. What lead me too it was some conversation on it in the viability thread about how it was a very effective late game cleaner and a very powerful attacker in general, plus just how strong of an attacking type Flying is in this meta. I have no real regrets with Swellow as it was very fun to play with and an deadly threat to most teams team as not many people are aware of just how fast and powerful this thing is.

How did you go about building a team for your Dark Horse Pokemon? Which kinds of teammates did you consider? What factors contributed to the team you created?
I knew right off that I was going to go %110 offense in this challenge and that Swellow wanted a few things: hazards on the other side, no hazards on it's side, a wall breaker to lure in and ko it's counters, and partners who can deal with priority. Hazards were supplied by Smeargle who had no other purpose than to get them down and hopefully cripple something in the process. As an offensive spinner Kabutops was the obvious answer while also giving me another form of priority to play with, and a set up sweeper should the opportunity arise. As far as wall breakers go 2 stood out: Mixed Absol and Mixed Druddigon. Druddigon was very tempting due to his powerful Outrages and better bulk but ultimately bulky psychics were a bigger issue to the team so Absol got the nod, giving me an answer to Uxie, along with stout physical walls such as Steelix by using Fire Blast and even more priority (the strongest priority in the game infact). After that I needed another general wall breaker, Druddigon nearly got the nod again for reasons explained but ultimately I went with Nidoqueen because of the sheer force (pun intended) of it's attacks, and that it's only common counters (Uxie, Clefable) are either worn down by the Queen to be broken through later or destroyed by other members of the team. Finally, as the team was already looking like a physical over load team I looked for something that played very much like Swellow, fast to set up and very fast and powerful once it got going. Ultimately the standered Normal Gem Hitmonlee gave me just that, plus more priority and a very potent late game sweeper, as if most teams can't handle the onslaught of 2 fast and furious sweepers in a match after being softened and worn down through hazards. Also, while priority might not have been really assessed I'm packing 3 forms of priority and just enough bulk and typing balances to win against most threats packing priority, although some things such as opposing Absol can give me trouble without good prediction. Some other things I looked at was Poliwrath to help deal with priority (to much of a momentum killer, just asking to be spun or set up on by anything with a sub), Magneton to trap those annoying steels (to slow, didn't often pull his weight and found that Nidoqueen and Hitmonlee kill all the relevent steels I was facing), Entei for more Priority (sadly didn't add much past that, stacking a Stealth Rock weakness instead; special set outclassed by Nidoqueen), and Duddigon (almost went with him but Absol had the stronger special attacking prowess and better priority, while Nidoqueen was just to good to pass up).

Do you think it is more difficult or less difficult to ladder with a Dark Horse Pokemon? Why? Does the element of surprise play a factor in your battles? Is it easier to fight with a "highly used"" team or with Pokemon that are less common?
I honestly though it was easier as with the team I was using the matches played quicker and more rewarded whoever could make the best early game choices. It was in this fashion that a simple misplay by the opponent could easily be exploited later on. Plus I never felt like my mon was dead weight or lagging behind the other members thanks to it's power and speed. The element of surprise played a huge part of what seems like half of my matches because of one thing: Cinccino. Seriously, every time the opponent saw a Smeargle they got all hyped up and just lead with it thinking oh hey I'm about to keep away these hazards. Only to have me Protect turn one and ko them turn 2, punishing them for thinking their fuzz ball could out speed any no name threat they'v never ran into. Unless they use Scarfcinno, which I never saw and I'm not terribly surprised as most people wouldn't bother to do that. I'm honestly finding that using under rated mons is awesome for surprising things and generally causing mayhem.

(For Hall of Fame members only) How did you reach the Hall of Fame? Was it easy or difficult? Did having a Dark Horse Pokemon on your team benefit you? What advice would you give to those laddering with Dark Horse Pokemon?
Like I said, heavy heavy offense putting a ton of pressure on the opposing team to force mistakes or just over powering the opposition. It seemed very easy as Offense seems to be the dominating play style right now and this team was tailored to destroy most other offensive teams, including hail. Having a dark horse helped me tremendously by giving me an amazing Cinccino answer and just in general beast of a late game sweeper. My advice would be to not only play to your dark horse's best traits but also play to your own strengths as a player, and as always to have fun with it as that's what all of these projects should be about.

Ok, updated n_n

Thanks for the input speed ghilliesniper, its cool to see your thought process in teambuilding and I'd have to agree with a bunch of your choices there (Spikes support is imperative when building around Flying-types imo, and often there are better methods of eliminating Steel-types than running Magneton, etc.) ^_^ Would it be ok if I added that to Discussion+Learning?

Also, Fuchsia, it's definitely cool to see CB Tauros being used, since it's a really cool utility band user thanks to Intimidate and a good Speed tier and Attack, but I don't feel as though Fire Blast without Sheer Force+Life Orb is really worth it, especially considering almost everything can set up on it. Have you considered running Return and Double-Edge over Thrash and Fire Blast? That would offer you all the power of Thrash when you need it without locking into an attack, while providing a solid fall-back STAB when you don't need the power.

Keep up the good work guys =)

Username: Blue Boulder
Hall of Fame: N/A
Dark Horse: Cradily
Ladder: 1492

Record: 8-6-0

I have some fun things in store for the Gastrodon of NU, trying to make a Sandstorm team with a lead Crustle, Cradily/Clefable/Tangrowth as a defensive core, Sigilyph as a defensive-offensive tank (the standard Cosmic Power + Roost + Stored Power + Psycho Shift) and Sandslash as a sweeper.

The moveset of my star:

Cradily (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Storm Drain
EVs: 252 HP/104 Def/152 SpD
Nature: Bold
-Sandstorm
-Recover
-Giga Drain
-Toxic

Cradily works very well on Sand Stall because it receives a SpD boost in Sand (which it sets) and it counters Water-types (besides Poliwrath) very well that give many other Sandstorm Pokemon trouble (in this case my team's water weaknesses are Crustle and Sandslash). Recover and Giga Drain together give great healing, and Toxic is for the obvious purpose of stalling. It also works nicely against Fighting-types (besides Hariyama, which hard-counters this Cradily) on the switch in before Cradily flees). Cradily has also caused 2 ragequits in 8 battles, solidly walling Cinccino (even if it has Wake-up Slap).

I actually decided to forgo a Rapid Spinner because it is not really necessary--the only SR-weak Pokemon on my team is my lead anyway. I think when people see a Sandslash they automatically assume it carries Rapid Spin, when in fact it is a weather setter and a backup sweeper. Here is its set:

Crustle (F) @ Custap Berry
Trait: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP/252 Atk/4 Spe
Nature: Admant
-Stealth Rock
-Stone Edge
-X-Scissor
-Sandstorm

The Sturdy + Custap Berry combo is very useful, as it lets me get an extra attack in quite often. Crustle provides my hazards (the two common spinners, Sandslash and Kabutops, are both stopped by Cradily), and Crustle is often able to guarantee a KO or set up rocks and sandstorm, which allows Cradily to become a monster special wall that can stall with Toxic + Giga Drain + Recover. Its two STABs also provide nice coverage. The EVs are pretty standard, but the 4 speed EVs are to outspeed Crustle who put the last 4 EVs in another stat, such as Special Defense.

changed dark horse to ludicolo

Set:

Fairly standard rain abuser, also able to set up it's own weather is nice.

Ludicolo @ Life Orb
Trait: Swift Swim
EVS: 252 SAtk / 252Spe / 4 Hp
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Giga Drain
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Rain Dance

Also, was wondering if I had to switch usernames still, as I actually haven't played any games on the one I created before

Ok, updated again '~' Also, to answer your question Drakzis, as long as the alt being used for the challenge hasn't been used in RU prior to the challenge, then by all means use it ^_^

Mack the Knife

Goodbye Smogon! I may return, I may not!
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Here's my Krok. Way underrated. Unlike the other Moxie user Pinsir it reesists SR. Though it lacks the speed Pinsir has, it can run a scarf. This can make it a Revenge Killer that outclasses Pinsir due to the lack SR weakness. Also it can sweep after 1 or 2 moxie boosts.

Krokorok (M) @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Moxie
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Crunch
- Stone Edge
- Pursuit
You see its dual stabs have pretty great coverage. Stone edge makes mince meat out of hail teams and other thing weak to rock. With Pursuit its able to trap Psychics and Ghosts which is very useful, although it makes it unable to sweep after killing after for mentioned ghosts and psychics. All in all Krokorok is pretty sweet.

Linoone @ Sitrus Berry
Trait: Gluttony
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd / 4 HP
Jolly Nature
- Belly Drum
- Seed Bomb
- Extremespeed
- Shadow Claw

Using him on a snow team, I found he was able to help with my Gallade problem and was able to sweep if I could set up, usually with a leech seed from snover before he fainted.

edit: Name: SNOW YEAH!

Also forgot I'm using a standard Stallrein

Walrein @ Leftovers
Trait: Ice Body
EVs: 248 Hp / 252 Spd / 8 Spa
Calm Nature
- Protect
- Substitute
- Encore
- Blizzard

Ok, updated n_n

Thanks for the input speed ghilliesniper, its cool to see your thought process in teambuilding and I'd have to agree with a bunch of your choices there (Spikes support is imperative when building around Flying-types imo, and often there are better methods of eliminating Steel-types than running Magneton, etc.) ^_^ Would it be ok if I added that to Discussion+Learning?

Also, Fuchsia, it's definitely cool to see CB Tauros being used, since it's a really cool utility band user thanks to Intimidate and a good Speed tier and Attack, but I don't feel as though Fire Blast without Sheer Force+Life Orb is really worth it, especially considering almost everything can set up on it. Have you considered running Return and Double-Edge over Thrash and Fire Blast? That would offer you all the power of Thrash when you need it without locking into an attack, while providing a solid fall-back STAB when you don't need the power.

Keep up the good work guys =)

Yeah I've started doing that. I haven't used fire blast since switching from a life orb to a choice band

Pokemon Showdown! Username: Lovewalk
Hall of Fame Standing:
Dark Horse Pokemon Currently Working With: Misdreavus, Scolipede
Current Ladder Standing on Pokemon Showdown!:

Welp, nothing much going on might as well go for 2. Gonna use another bird, I'll try most sets to an extent but the main one I'll be using is Scarf with the exact same team since it was already built for a fast flying type.

Pokemon Showdown! Username: the kacaw law
Hall of Fame Standing: Bronze
Dark Horse Pokemon Currently Working With: Braviary
Current Ladder Standing on Pokemon Showdown!: 1800

Am I the only one still doing this? Hit 1800 finally, going a little more slowly this time around but I'll get there eventually.

Edit: I'm still at 1800, Queen moved on and I'm probably not going to redo this particular team so I'm calling it done. Don't feel like writing another big write up, all i have to say is Swellow is faster and hits harder but Braviary has more bulk. Superpower is cool to wear down Rocks and Steels, even though it wont OHKO most of them it could be cool as use on a double bird team using both of them plus spikes to wear the resists down to set up a sweep.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)