The Dark Knight [Unmarked Spoilers Within - Enter at risk]

I can only echo what other people have said (because there's nothing bad to be said about this movie), but this film is utterly brilliant! Possibly the best movie I've ever seen, definitely the best in many years; Heath ledger was unbelievable as the joker, he deserves an oscar and I'm sure will be missed after what was surely the highlight of his career, and in regards to length, I didn't even notice it was 2 and a half hours because I was hooked from star to finish!
God I haven't got enough praise for this movie. Amazing.

I also thought the jokers last worrds to Batman were amazing but it's a shame he didn't kill himself because that would have made it so much better (maybe they want leeway for a sequel). In case people have forgotten, he says "Madness is like gravity...you just have to give it a little push" as he's hanging from a rope over the side of a building. If he'd pushed off the building and fallen that would have been the perfect ending imo

Damn. I kinda wanna go and see it again in IMAX.
Lol yeah, go watch it in IMAX. I watched it on the day it came out and in IMAX on Wednesday. Pretty worth it imo. I wish I saw the prescreening.

Definately the best DC movie released, possibly the best superhero movie released (i'm not sure, it was really good but Iron Man's one of my favourite superheroes), maybe one of my favourite action movies. The plot was really good, and I really liked how Heath Ledger played The Joker. I thought it was a lot better than the way Jack Nicholson played him, he was a lot more crazy, and scary too. The only complaint I have is that Two-Face died too quickly (he looked pretty awesome, I thought they were setting him up to be the villain in the next movie).

The only complaint I have is that Two-Face died too quickly (he looked pretty awesome, I thought they were setting him up to be the villain in the next movie).
As others stated, this is a movie review thread, so expect spoilers. Thats why im not keeping it white. Anyway, the reason I quoted this was that I felt (although im probably alone on this) that Two-Face dying was good for the movie. First of all, it allows new characters to come in (scarecrow/riddler) and not see more of two-face. Sure he is a great character but basing a whole movie around him after already seeing his whole story and watching him for an hour in the last movie? I think his story was timed perfectly and that it was wise for him to die as quick as he did. Plus it made the Joker story a lot stronger. It proved that he could turn any "white knight" into a mad killer and his quote at the end summed this up perfectly. I think it made Joker much stronger as it showed that he was right and that everyone does live in their own little worlds they want to control.

Also I probably should have done this earlier but these are my favorite parts of the movie (And in the spirit of spoilers =/ I will white them out):

(This extremely long and spoiled filled so DONT READ IF YOU WANT TO WATCH MOVIE AND HATE SPOILERS)

• Joker's Bank Robbery. I thought that scene was done perfectly and was hilarious yet also credible. Just having everyones job to kill the next guy after they did their job was simply brilliant.
  • The Pencil Scene and Joker Introduction had me laughing hard. The whole magic trick for the mob had me in stitches and then when he talked trash about the entire mob it was just incredibly done
  • Why so Serious? If you haven't seen the movie and don't plan on seeing it (Which is a bad choice because this is a great movie), Joker tells a story about how he got scars on his face. I wont re-enact the whole scene but it ended with Joker talking about his father as well as carving a smile onto a guys face with a knife
  • Joker Video (Fake Batman). This was pretty suspensful and Jokers anger was portrayed extremely well. The suspense comes from that you know he killed fake batman but you don't know when it is coming and you know that he must have been tortured as well
  • Scar Story 2. This time he has a different story about how he gained his scars and he tells it Rachel. Joker claims that he cut up his face so his wife(?) would see that he wouldn't care about her appearance. She leaves him though. Scary scene here because you already know he cut up someone unmercifully and he is planning to do it again.
  • Joker aims for the mayor! This was beautifully done as it set up Bruce as the Joker as well as had Joker come out of nowhere with the gun. I won't reveal too much more because it was a somewhat long scene
  • Joker vs. the Batman part 1. Best action of the movie and I really was convinced it was over right here. Ill discuss that in my next bullet. Gordon coming back also had me believing it was done. What problem I had here is that everyone was in on this (or so I think since obviously they would have checked for pulses and whatnot after gordons "death". So why wasn't his family notified? My only guess is that he wanted them to be sure he was dead so the joker wouldnt harm them.
  • Joker Psychology and "I just want my phone call". Great line here by Joker: "You know when people are about to die, they tell me who they truly are and they show me who they truly are. So in reality, I know your closest friends much better than you. Do you wish to know which ones were cowards?". I really didn't know how long the movie was and it seemed like an hour and a half at this point or around that time. I assumed when Joker got arrested it was over. So Joker escaping as well as setting everything up had me on the edge of my seat saying "Aha awesome". The phone in the guys stomach was brilliant and the guy saying "like christmas lights" earlier on had me wondering.
  • Batman's choice. Again I knew he would pick Harvey because not only I knew he was two-face (Plus the gas completely gave it away if you didn't already know) but because batman knew that harvey dying would set the city back and the city needed a true hero. I started to love this movie a lot more than spiderman because they didnt pussy out have both of the big characters survive. They actually killed off rachel (Although with Lucias, Alfred, Harvey, and Rachel, you knew one had to die). It also was true to the character in that Batman isn't a hero. He just makes the right choices that no one else could ever make (Again you see this later on in the film only this time with convicts vs. civilians).
  • Joker as the Nurse. This was pretty much tied as the best scene of the film with the opening (for me at least). Just so brilliantly done (and easily topped the burning the money scene before which I thought was somewhat humorous showing that Joker didnt care at all about his cut. He was doing this because it was fun). Although Two-Face was a bit unconvincing at times (even in this scene) he did a pretty good job and I loved when Joker came out of the room and scrubbed his hands in the sink. That really just made me laugh so hard. Also the Joker Speech in this scene was another awesome speech.
  • Convicts vs. Civilians. This was done pretty well but Im glad they didn't focus on this too much. If the entire scene was on them and then just not having anyone die, I probably would have gone "that is 15 wasted minutes in this movie". Instead putting the hostages in clown costumes was amazing and brilliant and the fighting was decent.
  • Joker vs. Batman part 2. I wish Heath Ledger could come back because he IS the Joker. I dont think anyone could ever fill his shoes but throughout this they hint at a Joker comeback next film (and im 95% he will come back) especially when he didnt die. Awesome speech by Joker here
Other things

The clown group was pretty cool and having joker take over the different gangs was awesome. I have to say that this movie almost seemed R rated (but not quite) because of how much torture was in it. Just when you think "joker would never do that" he does and makes it seem like a kids game. Plus the sick mind games were unbelievable. Heath Ledger just did it like no one else could. I also loved the make-up on joker. Unlike other films he wasnt entirely covered in make up and it made him seem so much more psychotic. Awesome movie and I would recommend it for everyone.

Firestorm

I did my best, I have no regrets!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Batman's choice. Again I knew he would pick Harvey because not only I knew he was two-face (Plus the gas completely gave it away if you didn't already know) but because batman knew that harvey dying would set the city back and the city needed a true hero. I started to love this movie a lot more than spiderman because they didnt pussy out have both of the big characters survive. They actually killed off rachel (Although with Lucias, Alfred, Harvey, and Rachel, you knew one had to die). It also was true to the character in that Batman isn't a hero. He just makes the right choices that no one else could ever make (Again you see this later on in the film only this time with convicts vs. civilians).
Actually, He did pick Rachel. Joker switched the addresses around when he told Batman.

Are you serious? I completely missed that part of the movie then because some kids started laughing. =/ Me and my friends didnt hear that at all so we had no idea.

Also I forgot to mention earlier, did anyone's movie theater decorate for the event? Our entire theater (inluding snack bar) has banners saying: We believe in Harvey Dent.

Im just curious.

Thanks for building this movie up to be awesome guys. It really made the let down all the better.

Seriously this movie was boring as hell. The Joker was kind of cool but I didn't like how he was ALWAYS one or two steps ahead of absolutely everyone. How is this thoroughly mediocre pile of averageness getting such rave reviews?

Also two face. I have a bone (or two) to pick with that CGI artist. I wonder if they realize that those muscles and bones would die and his eye would dry out.

Legacy Raider

sharpening his claws, slowly
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Well I just saw it today and it was utterly brilliant. I'd repeat everything that has been said about this film, but emphasis has to be on the Joker's amazing performance. This film has got to be one of THE best I've seen in a long time.

And the disappearing pencil was genius =)

Thanks for building this movie up to be awesome guys. It really made the let down all the better.

Seriously this movie was boring as hell. The Joker was kind of cool but I didn't like how he was ALWAYS one or two steps ahead of absolutely everyone. How is this thoroughly mediocre pile of averageness getting such rave reviews?

Also two face. I have a bone (or two) to pick with that CGI artist. I wonder if they realize that those muscles and bones would die and his eye would dry out.
Are you freaking crazy

Bologo

Have fun with birds and bees.
is a Contributor Alumnus
Yeah, I saw this film yesterday, and I would recommend it to anyone who likes movies in general. It was extremely long, but the good thing about it is that something was ALWAYS happening the entire time, so it wasn't boring.

This is definitely the best superhero movie I've ever seen, and I don't usually like superhero movies.

Everything else that's good about this movie has already mostly been said. Heath Ledger was totally awesome (I think this is the first and last movie I'll ever see that had him in it, to be honest). I do hope he gets that Oscar, his family should be proud to accept it for him. He definitely did steal the show, like others have said, and the other actor/actresses were no pushovers, so he definitely had to be amazing to steal the show from them.

I even wore my damn Batman shirt to see this movie. This was gangster.

Im confused really. I never heard this part that firestorm said and I thought that batman saved Harvey for a few reasons.

1. With Harvey Dead, Gotham would fall under utter chaos again
2. Harvey was the future of Gotham and was the white night they needed
3. If Harvey died, Joker would have been right that he could bring anyone down. I thought Batman wanted to show their was still good in Gotham

Plus it wasn't like Bruce said "Oh shit, I thought you were Rachel" when he got there. He quickly acted and responded like he knew Harvey would be here. Someone clue me in!

uh did none of you hear Batman shout in response to Gordon asking him "Who are you going after?", "Rachel!"?
Like firestorm said, the joker switched the addresses around

Plus, in response to kindlerdude24, if batman had reacted too much people might have guessed at his identity or something...I know thats not very feasible but he definitely said he was going after rachel

evan

I did my best -- I have no regrets
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Yeah. There is no question that he was going after Rachel and not Harvey. Notice that Batman didn't speak at all when saving Harvey, likely because he was too distraught that it wasn't Rachel. He just sucked it up and saved Harvey because at that point Harvey was the only one who could be saved.

Hipmonlee

Have a nice day
is a Community Contributoris a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Four-Time Past WCoP Champion
Nah, it still doesnt make sense. The whole ending doesnt fit if he intended to save Rachel imo..

Have a nice day.

That really sucks that I didn't get to hear him say he was going after rachel =/

I agree with hip though, it seemed like he would have gone after harvey in the first place. It doesnt really matter though (again like I said earlier, they didn't pussy out of killing one of them) but it is a bit confusing especially with how it ties in later on. Seems like I will be telling my friends as well about Batman saying he was gonna save Rachel.

I should have done the constanaza/buddy rich line when people were talking during that part since I missed a vital part of the scene. Good to know though so thanks for clearing that up.

GreenPikachu

pumpkin pieco
is a Top Contributor Alumnus
yeah, there's no confusion over it whatsoever. batman was intending to save rachel, since he clearly states it, and because he walked in on dent, any logical person can deduce that joker switched the addresses (I'd say on purpose, since it fits his character), but possibly by accident.

also...look at it this way. would you save your girlfriend, or some political figure that has no direct impact on you?

sure, without dent, batman would need to continue being batman

BUT

without rachel, batman wouldn't even need a reason to not be batman.

it makes total sense that he'd go after rachel.

Jimbo

take me anywhere
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I too think he intended to save Rachel, he seemed sad while saving Harvey...

One question though-
Did Two-Face die at the end? Some people I know think he did, but I know he's a big time villain in Batman, but it seemed like there was a funeral for him...

Aaa I hope the white font works, don't want to give away anything.

I don't know to be honest. I thought he was dead and they did have a memorial for him and talking about the good he had done. Of course I don't know if a simple fall was going to kill him but for now it looks like it did.

Also why the hell was I oblivious to Scarecrow at the beginning? After he got away, I was saying "woah wait ... was that scarecrow?". I did not see that for some reason until afterwards.

Firestorm

I did my best, I have no regrets!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Ok. I changed the title. No more spoiler tags let's do this right.

As mentioned, Batman clearly stated he was going after Rachel. Joker switched addresses and that fits his character perfectly. I heard that he actually did hesistate for just a split second when he saw Harvey, but I didn't notice it.

Nolan stated that Two Face is dead. He twisted his neck due to the fall.

I think that he went after Harvey Dent because Maggie Gyllenhall is so ugly that one would be insane to risk one's life for that %___%

But, in seriousness, he definitely did say he was going after Rachel; I just kind of assumed maybe they mixed addresses up, not that the Joker intentionally switched them.

Two-Face dying was so abrupt. I really thought they might base the entire next movie around him.

cookie

my wish like everyone else is to be seen
is a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I thought Batman went to save Harvey Dent because he was more important being the shining white mayor and all, and that it tied in with Batman doing what's best for the people, even though people might hate him for it and it goes against what he wants.

(I didn't remember who he actually wanted to go after though)

GreenPikachu

pumpkin pieco
is a Top Contributor Alumnus
i don't understand how people missed it. i was on the edge of my seat, making sure i didn't miss a word of dialogue the entire movie.

gordon: who are you going after?!

batman: rachel

that was the exchange. joker switched the addresses, because he's a villain. end of story. it's not that complicated.

Steelicks

Come here and Battle me!
is a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
lol are you guys kidding

the joker clearly switched the addresses. batman said he was going after rachel. why is this receiving such in depth interpretation?

Not to mention I think Bruce resented Harvey somewhat because he still wanted to go out with Rachel but she loved Harvey.

Also, I think they made it a little too obvious when she said "I wouldn't want to live without you".

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)