The Destroyers of Caterpie

The Destroyers of Caterpie (OU RMT)

Hi everyone. I’ve been in the competitive scene for about a month or so and I've been making some progress.
This is my second successfull team and there are holes I want to fix. So do your thing and Rate my Team, please :P

My threats list will not be filled, due to the fact that I haven't seen some threats, or I have seen them maybe once or twice.

I call this team.....

The Destroyers of Caterpie

I had no ideas for a team name (Well, other than "The Weedle Squad", but Caterpie's way cooler).

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
A quick preview

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

-------------------------------------

Let’s just get to why you’re all here.

-----------------------------------------​

Swampert (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 240 HP/216 Def/52 SAtk
Relaxed nature (+Def, -Spd)
- Earthquake
- Ice Beam
- Roar
- Stealth Rock

Pert is my bulky lead and a very good one at that. It's hard to OHKO him without SE moves, and he provides a secondary check to DDTar and CBTar is Skarmory's dead. He gets the rocks up nearly 100% of the time, which is great for my team. He can also function as a wallbreaker, albeit a weak one.
EQ is his STAB move which puts a dent in anything that doesn't resist it, and Ice Beam hits stuff that EQ doesn't hard, especially those flying dragons (read: Mence). Roar helps me rack up entry hazard damage which helps has won me the battle on multiple occasions. SR my team just loves.
------

Heatran (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 4 HP/252 Spd/252 SAtk
Naive nature (+Spd, -SDef)
- Fire Blast
- Earth Power
- Explosion
- Dragon Pulse

Fear the amazing power of Heatran!
This baby is my revenge killer, and a darn good one at that. If I can predict a fire move directed at Skarmory, Heatran takes the stage, absorbs it, and then deals a lot of damage with Fire Blast.
Dragon Pulse is there for killing all those dragons running around OU (again, read: Salamence), Fire Blast is there for STAB, Earth Power is for killing other fire types that switch in predicting a Fire Blast, and Explosion is for when I want to kill something.
------

Skarmory (M) @ Shed Shell
Ability: Keen Eye
EVs: 252 HP/64 Atk/176 Def/16 Spd
- Brave Bird
- Spikes
- Whirlwind
- Roost

The infamous Skarmory, who manages to find its way on to most of my teams.
In my last RMT, I pumped my Skarmory with Defense EV's because I thought it was dying to fast. Well, it turns out this darn steel bird is a pain to kill, so I switched to the Spiker set in the analysis.
Spikes is there because it helps my team kill alot of stuff, Whirlwind is for finding out the opponent's counter/team as well as racking up entry hazard damage, and Roost is there for the recovery that Skarmory loves oh so much. Brave Bird doesn't need a description because it rarely does much of anything.
------

Latias (F) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
Timid nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Draco Meteor
- Surf
- Thunderbolt
- Trick

In case you didn't read my last RMT, this is my favorite pokemon. Now, I used to have a tank Latias here, but after seeing my DDwhatever weakness and well as SubtoxicTran weakness, I was advised to use this set. It checks the aforementioned pokemon, as well as being a competent revenge killer. Basically I come in and kill something not named Blissey with Draco Meteor.
Draco Meteor is my insanely powerful STAB move, and Surf + thunderbolt and for coverage on a few threats to my team. Trick cripples walls that are a pain to my team (coughcoughBlisseycoughcough).
------

Tyranitar (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 6 HP/252 Atk/252 Spd
Jolly nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Aqua Tail
- Crunch
- Dragon Dance
- Stone Edge

If you are not prepared for this, it will sweep your team. Not only does DDTar have the power of CBTar and CSTar after one DD, he has the ability to choose his moves.
I went with Jolly over adamant to prevent those base 115's from revenge killing my Tar, especially that little pesk known as Starmie.
DD is the glue on this set, allowing me to sweep unprepared teams. Crunch is my ridiculously powerful STAB, as is Stone Edge. Aqua Tail is for it's coverage.
------

Rotom-c @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP/56 Def/200 SDef
Bold nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Thunderbolt
- Will-o-wisp

This is my status absorber, double wall, and physical crippler all in one pokemon. And if you're wondering, I chose Rotom-C over all the other rotom forms for its signature move, leaf storm. If my opponent doesn't know that I have only one attacking move, they usually won't send in their ground types, suspecting a leaf storm is coming.
I can survive a lot of hits with those EV's, both physical and special, which is why I love this guy.
Resttalk is there for its status absorbing goodiness as well as ensuring my longevity. T-bolt is my STAB, and WoW cripples those mean physical attackers.

Threat List:

Green = No problem.
Orange = Could pose a threat if I don't take it out.
Red = Very bad. I have few options and it can overpower my team.
Black = Not enough data. I'll guess here.

I'll update later as I'm too lazy to do it right now.

Defensive Threats

Blissey: I can switch in Dos, who effectively shuts blissey down with taunt. Boah destroys bliss using Focus Punch and its 101 HP subs. Heatran can go boom if I really need to.

Bronzong: This is a pain to kill, although it can't do much to me besides explode. Boah can take on the majority of them.

Celebi: Boah.

Cresselia: Boah and Dos.

Donphan: Never fought one, but I'm guessing Latias could beat it.

Dusknoir: Well, unless it carries thunderpunch, I can beat most of them by switching in dos and taunting ---> DD. Boah beats most of them as well.

Forretress: Boah can beat pretty much every variation, and Heatran beats all of them.

Gliscor: Latias, Dos.

Gyarados: BulkyGyara's carrying taunt usually rip through my team unless I can prevent one from setting up.

Hippowdon: Skarmory can outstall all of them, and gyarados can beat it if it gets enough DDs.

Jirachi: Oh man, Jirachi is a pain. Lead versions I can kill with Heatran if they've tricked away their scarf, but SubCM versions are a pain.

Rotom-A: Boah. Although most Rotom forms are a pain in general.

Skarmory: Boah and Heatran.

Snorlax: Boah and Gyarados, although Curselaxes could be a pain.

Suicune: The best I can do on most of them is explode, although non-CM ones are much easier to beat. Crocune is the worst, as taunting one and then getting a few DD's under my belt with Dos can work.

Swampert: I can whittle most of them down using switches, and Latias can stall out the majority of them.

Tentacruel: I can't kill it too easily, but it can't do much to my team.

Tyranitar: CB/DD versions can 2HKO all of my team after set up. The only way I can beat one is by having my TTar use Sub before they switch in.

Vaporeon: Latias is my best bet as the majority of them are tanks. I suppose Specs versions could post a threat.

Zapdos:​

Offensive Threats:

Azelf

Breloom

Dragonite

Dugtrio

Electivire:​

Gallade

Gengar

Gyarados:​

Heatran:​

Heracross

Infernape:​

Jolteon

Kingdra

Lucario

Machamp

Magnezone:​

Mamoswine

Metagross

Porygon-Z

Salamence:

Scizor

Starmie

Suicune

Togekiss

Tyranitar

Weavile:​

Yanmega

Zapdos

Other Problems

Most of my team is pretty slow. Therefore, I need (obviously) faster pokemon and/or paralysis support.
That darn water weakness. Rain Dance teams are a pain to deal with, as a boosted Hydro Pump from Kingdra hurts most of my team.

------------------

Team Building Process:

I'll update later.

------------------

Hey there.

This is a pretty solid looking team, there's only a couple of stand-out problems that I can see, so good job on that.

First things first, I really don't like Infernape as a lead on a team like this. Infernape works best on a lead as offensive teams due to its ability to quickly get down some Rocks and let you go on the offense as soon as possible. On a more balanced team like this, which is more biased towards conservative play, I think you'd be much better off going with a bulkier lead. Currently, you're fairly Tyranitar weak - nothing on your team can switch into a Choice Banded Stone Edge without getting atleast 2HKOed, and DDTar can be similarly problematic should Skarmory get weakened a bit. I'd suggest going with the standard lead Swampert with a moveset of Earthquake/Ice Beam/Stealth Rock/Roar over Infernape, which gives you a solid Tyranitar counter, as well as a bulkier lead which fits into and complements the rest of the team nicely.

On Skarmory, you should be using an Impish nature rather than a Relaxed one - with a -Speed nature, you're guarenteeing that you lose Whirlwind speed ties, and you're making it so Skarmory can't even Roost to avoid a 2HKO from a Tyranitar Stone Edge. Going with Impish doesn't have any drawback, as you aren't using special attacks.

I'd recommend using the standard defensive Latias EV spread of 128 HP / 128 SpA / 252 Spe with a Timid nature over your current one. By using a slow Latias, you're making it even harder to deal with pokemon like Salamence, which are already dangerous enough for teams like this, as well as potentially opening up a bit of a weakness to some variants of MixApe, although that depends on your opponent catching onto your EV spread. While I can see the benefits of your spread, I think Timid is going to be a lot more useful in the long run.
One thing to consider here would be Roar over Reflect/Refresh - with Spikes and Stealth Rock up, Roar is atleast as good at dealing with Scizor and Tyranitar as Reflect is, as Roaring to scout their counter not only reveals part of their team for you, but helps to build up damage on that counter.

One important part of a team like this, which is going to rely heavily on Spikes and Stealth Rock as a means of damage that you're missing is a Rapid Spin blocker. The obvious choice here would be a Rotom, with either Rest/Sleep Talk/Thunderbolt/Will-o-wisp or Thunderbolt/Shadow Ball/Will-o-wisp/Overheat, which would round off your defenses nicely, fixing your Taunt Gyarados weakness, as well as giving you the best Spin blocker out there. I'll leave it up to you to decide which member of the team to replace, although I'd probably use Rotom over either Heatran or Tyranitar.
Alternatively, if you're willing to change things up a bit more when including Rotom, I'd consider replacing Gyarados with Rotom and making Tyranitar your Dragon Dancer, as DDTar is incredible with the Spikes support you're providing here.

Finally, a pretty big problem pokemon that you're going to have to watch out for is Salamence - DDMence in particular can give you a lot of problems if you dont predict perfectly, although there's not any real fixes I can think of that don't change the team a bit too much for my liking. You could try out a Scarf Jirachi with Iron Head/Ice Punch/Fire Punch/U-turn (or Trick over Ice Punch or U-turn) if that appeals to you.

Good luck!

Hiya, I got your pm, so I'll try and see what I can do help with your team.

Alright, well as I look at your team as a whole, I notice that you have a big TauntDos weakness, as it can pretty much sweep your team after a couple of Dragon Dance boosts. Infernape, Heatran, Skarmory, Latias, and Tyranitar are basically bait for it to set up at least one Dragon Dance and wreak havoc. I understand that you have Heatran to use Explosion against it, but that's not nearly enough to OHKO it, as it does 47-56% damage.

In order to fix this problem, I have one suggestion: change Latias' set. This suggestion won't force you to change any of your Pokemon. Anyway, I suggest you change Latias' set to the Life Orb version with a moveset of Draco Meteor/Thunderbolt/Surf/Recover. This way, TauntDos will be stopped cold by Thunderbolt. Also, the regular DDDos is already stopped by Skarmory, so you won't have to worry about Gyarados in general if you go with that I've said.

SubToxicTran can also give a ton of trouble, as it has many chances to switch into your Pokemon, especially Heatran locked into Fire Blast, Skarmory, and Latias. Tyranitar can't touch it if it's not behind a Substitute and Gyarados will become poisoned, making it less effective. Infernape will probably be dead as it is a suicide lead. So, using the Latias set I mentioned will obviously help with this problem, as Surf will beat it for good.

That's all I can think of right now, so hopefully I helped a little. It would've been easier if you pmed me after you finished the threat list, but whatever.

Thanks for the huge rate!

I'll change Skarmory's nature to Impish (don't know why I didn't before), and as for Latias I'll go with your spread and roar.

I'll go with Resttalk rotom, seeing as I'll need a status absorber due to Latias not having Refresh. So I'll replace gyara with Rotom and change TTar to DDTar.

Yeah, DDMence is a problem, but I don't see it too often, and I can usually revenge kill most Salamence with Heatran.

EDIT: I'll test your suggestions as well Fuzznip, thanks for the rate.

Well...You definately have a Salamence problem here. You really can't stop it if it gets a Dragon Dance up. The solution is simple! Use Latias as a scarf version with and EV spread of 4HP/252 Sp. Attack/252 Speed with a Timid or Modest nature, and a moveset of Draco Meteor/Surf/Thunderbolt/Trick. This pretty much solves your DD Mence problem and can provide a secondary check against DD Gyarados as well.

Hope I helped, and Good Luck!

Super-mega-ultra bump.

After some testing, I've made swampert my lead as well as giving rotom-c the role of spin blocker. Latias is also scarfed with the moveset suggested by witness. And for my convenience, I'll put down their sets.

Oh yeah, I also made tar into a DDTar, which has been working out amazingly well.

Swampert (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 240 HP/216 Def/52 SAtk
- Earthquake
- Ice Beam
- Roar
- Stealth Rock

Latias (F) @ Choice Scarf
Timid nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Draco Meteor
- Surf
- Thunderbolt
- Trick

Rotom-c @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP/56 Def/200 SDef
Bold nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Thunderbolt
- Will-o-wisp

Tyranitar (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 6 HP/252 Atk/252 Spd
Jolly nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Aqua Tail
- Crunch
- Dragon Dance
- Stone Edge

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)