The Downfall of Modern Rap Music

WaterBomb

Two kids no brane
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Yeah, I noticed that even with classic rock radio stations they tend to repeat the same sets, just in a longer loop. This kind of dawned on me when I heard "Hotel California" three times over the span of a day or two. I love classic rock, but even there I need some variety.

Also it's difficult to really determine the quality of music until you hear it live. When you hear a person singing live, you then know whether they have an actual voice or whether it's just autotuned. Of course this only covers the singing talent of the group, and says nothing about the instrumental and composition talent. James LaBrie of Dream Theater has a voice that kind of throws people off sometimes, and in my opinion his singing is not the group's strong point. However, this is completely made up for (and then some) by the instrumental talents of John Petrucci and (formerly) Mike Portnoy. So then you're getting down to a question of what makes music good and bad. Is bad singing enough to override good technique? Is bad instrumentalism enough to drown out the soaring talents of a singer? Or does the quality of both aspects have to be bad to make the music bad as a whole? This in itself poses a problem with definition, because different people have different ideas of what constitutes "bad". As for myself, I define bad in the singing aspect as a person's inability to hit the notes properly, or to even stay on beat. Having some musical background, I can tell when a person is too "flat" or "sharp". Also, another factor in my definition is the originality of the music. If I hear a song that sounds exactly like everything else that's out, I will usually consider it "bad". The performer might have talent, but that is negated by the fact that they are indistinguishable from other artists.

tl;dr - everyone has a different idea about what makes music "bad", so it's difficult to argue and relate. Further, everyone has different levels of knowledge and experience with music, so you're inevitably going to have a disconnect as well.

Of course, this is why you have debates like these - to express opinions. Too bad a lot of people can't do that without being drawn into a flame war.

biggie

champ
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Cuntscraping Fecal Destruction definitely sounds like a band I'd at least check out. Also, getting some good recommendations in this thread. Keep 'em coming.

WaterBomb, I think it goes both ways...they play Hotel California not only because it is an easy way to play something agreed on as "good", but because it is the kind of thing people expect to hear with "classic rock" (not that classic rock exists). There is enough quantity that I am sure any competent radio organizer could play about 1000 different songs a day, but would they lose listeners? Radio has always been tepid, that has not changed since: ever. I do not know if we are at a point that is worse than the past because it is owned in such a monopoly style (clearchannel or whatever owns so fucking much?), but radio was never going to become an exciting listen.

I used to read CK's posts. Now I'm not going to anymore. You are so fucking stubborn it's stupid. I mean on a good day you sometimes have a couple good points but
oh my god my day is so beyond ruined

I am sorry that when we got into this relationship you did not realize that I was never going to stop being this belligerent :(

His Eminence Lord Poppington II

proverb:the fish who eats most dies still too
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
any mention of D.I.T.C and Big L? Pete Rock and C.L. Smooth if you like east coast hip hop. Gang Starr and A Tribe Called Quest for classics. Darc Mind / Main Source general rec's. Omer Saar does some really cool remixes with a soul singer's beats in the back (i forget his name and i cbf to google).

i'm ignoring most of the replies in this thread because i noticed that there are many serious replies in what should have been blatantly seen as a 'firebot' thread

but

He first came out with his hit single "Black and Yellow." In which he raps about his skin color (black) and his teeth (yellow).
oh my god i'm still laughing at this

AJers

Your typical e-wench
Well, *I* happen to enjoy my white-boy rappers, :)

Ice Ice Baby was a HIT for a reason!

pookar

Banned deucer.
Actually no, i simply stated the opinion I didn't like rap, and alluded to the fact that a lot of rap uses synsthesizers, the majority of the music made with them I dont like. The statements about my general dislike of rap and synthesizers were seperate comments although i can understand if the brackets muddied that. If you misunderstood that then that's my fault for not being clearer.

@whoever flamed my post (the post, not me)I take that back, he did flame me above, I have considerably less problems with synthesizers if they are supported by actual music. Did Come Sail Away use a synthesizer? Absolutely. Was it supported by great vocals and amazing guitar riffs? You bet your ass. And I would hardly call Boston "pop rock" but then thats more of a matter of opinion.

P.S. Dont be a jackass and pick on a particular piece of a post. Those were the bands I picked off the top of my head. i could have easily listed bands like Foreigner or Meatloaf. Try saying that they are pop rock.

At any rate this is kind of derailing the thread so I wont respond to any responses to this post.
in the first bolded part, i was referring to boston and the eagles as your shitty poprock and styx is actually a decent-good prog band...
Second bold part: Meatloaf is the fucking definition of popdadrock bro. I suggest you open your musical eyes. And both foreigner and meatloaf used synths too.

Im just trying to educate you bro, theres places where you wouldnt even get corrected, just laughed at.

Are cheesy overused synths annoying? Yes. Do synths have place in some music and can be used effectively and positively? Yes. Theres no real reason to dismiss an entire instrument/style of keyboard because when it is used most commonly it is complete shit.

WaterBomb

Two kids no brane
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Examples of good synthesizer use: ELP, Genesis
Examples of bad synthesizer use: T-Pain, Black Eyed Peas, Anything else that sounds like T-Pain or Black Eyed Peas.

DM

Ce soir, on va danser.
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Bad music often has obvious things that make it bad, and the epitome of bad music is Soufjan Stevens. holy shit he is impossible to listen to. the only good news is that he usually records at such low volume that you cant hear it if it unfortunately is played.
way to make a ridiculous claim and then not explain it in any way

don't mind me, I'll be over here not respecting a single thing you say

I feel ofended just for reading the OP, but whatever, i don't like today's rap music, i liked some of the stuff that Public Enemy did and the guys that actually spoke up for a cause that matter, i hate to see that people hate an entire gender just for some artists, it's stupid since i won't stop listening to Adele just because Justin Beaver plays "the same" music

His Eminence Lord Poppington II

proverb:the fish who eats most dies still too
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I feel ofended just for reading the OP, but whatever, i don't like today's rap music, i liked some of the stuff that Public Enemy did and the guys that actually spoke up for a cause that matter, i hate to see that people hate an entire gender just for some artists, it's stupid since i won't stop listening to Adele just because Justin Beaver plays "the same" music
??

at above, yeah nujabes is so great, RIP. one funky dude.

edit: some more from me, MF's aliases King Geedorah and Viktor Vaugn deserve a listen. Big K.R.I.T, Jeru the Damaja, Blackroc, Cannibal Ox (Pigeon is an amazing track), Common, Curren$y, Das Racist (rapping 2 u, luv it mayne, you can sell anything). Digable Planets and Jazz Liberators, whilst not as good as Nujabes are jazzy and chill, so if you like that kind of thing.

biggie

champ
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Since we're now in the recommendation phase..

I'll have to recommend Pharoahe Monch, J-Live, Murs, Eyedea, Abilities and RA The Rugged Man just to name a few.

J-Live has always been in rotation with me since I heard of him. I've been liking Pharoahe Monch's new album W.A.R also.

This thread is win! Eminem had his heyday with the Marshall Mathers LP its been downhill from then.. Recovery was horrible i dont know how people can listen to that crap

Wiz Khalifa was ok when he first came out talking about weed and whatnot. But mixtape after mixtape of it got old quick.

jrrrrrrr

wubwubwub
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Lil Wayne is good, at least he got shot, unlike the other guys (who need to get shot)...this is a great analysis

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)