The dumbest thing the AI has ever done?

I've just seen a Serperior constantly try to spam Leech Seed on my Sap Sipper Goodra. The good thing for my AI opponent is that ol'Majin Buudra is a special attacker, but still.

I was challenging the Battle Maison in Y. I led my Delphox; AI led Cherrim.

Turn 1: AI uses Sunny Day. Against my Delphox. Delphox proceeds to sweep his whole team.

Reactions: JES
This duo appears in i think 4 games, and messes up every time.

Any Plusle+Minun double battle.

I cannot count the time where the use helping hand on each other simultaneously, use helping hand when the other one is using a status move, or using helping hand when they're the only one left. I just don't get it XD.

CTNC

Doesn't know how to attack
This duo appears in i think 4 games, and messes up every time.

Any Plusle+Minun double battle.

I cannot count the time where the use helping hand on each other simultaneously, use helping hand when the other one is using a status move, or using helping hand when they're the only one left. I just don't get it XD.
Because of this, I don't think I found out what Helping Hand did during my first play through of Emerald... or my second... All I knew was it failed after the other one used it.

Because of this, I don't think I found out what Helping Hand did during my first play through of Emerald... or my second... All I knew was it failed after the other one used it.
Yep, official worst move to put in an AI's hand. other than Explosion. And weather moves.

Nah, it's the worst, period. Explosion can at least catch you by surprise or, say, deny you a shiny. And six percent damage from hail or sand can be annoying, at least. Helping Hand is literally Splash when used by an AI.

Reactions: JES
Nah, it's the worst, period. Explosion can at least catch you by surprise or, say, deny you a shiny. And six percent damage from hail or sand can be annoying, at least. Helping Hand is literally Splash when used by an AI.
Not when they change it to a different weather immediately after... over and over in double/triple battles. Of course, there's also Trick Room...

Mr. Uncompetitive

What makes us human?
is a Contributor Alumnus
Years back I was playing in the Battle Hall in Heartgold and got to Argenta for the first time. I was using No Guard Machamp with Zoom Lens or something (this was a while before I joined Smogon o_o) and Argenta brought in a Latias. So naturally, I was fucked.

First turn, Latias goes first and uses...Recover
Then Machamp goes and crits with Payback, easily OHKOing Latias

"gg"

CTNC

Doesn't know how to attack
Weather does something, but if the AI has two different moves weather moves on two different Pokemon it almost turns a Double Battle in 2v1. If the AI has two Pokemon with two different weather moves, then I'd say that whether they're better depends on if they help or hinder you. (I don't think this ever happens, but it's funny to think about.)
Explosion... Don't remind me about the shinies blowing up. It hasn't happened to me, but it's still painful to think about. On wild Pokemon, Explosion is much worse than Helping Hand for this reason, but wild Pokemon use RNG instead of AI to decide what move to use, so it's not fair to blame the AI for shinies blowing up.
Splash, unlike Helping Hand, is LITERALLY Splash and, also unlike Helping Hand, CAN NOT FAIL. (Please don't bring up Gravity.) This makes Splash BETTER than Helping Hand. (Yes, I just said Splash is better than another move.)

In conclusion, in the hands of the AI, Helping Hand is the Worst. Move. Ever!

Yeah, the AI doesn't seem to understand Desolate Land. That's what allows Primal Groudon to sweep Wallace's Gym with no sweat (pun partially intended)

Yeah, the AI doesn't seem to understand Desolate Land. That's what allows Primal Groudon to sweep Wallace's Gym with no sweat (pun partially intended)
To be fair, that is probably what would actually happen in real life (at least in the beginning. Why the computer continues to consistently make the same mistake with the same guy is something else)

To be fair, that is probably what would actually happen in real life (at least in the beginning. Why the computer continues to consistently make the same mistake with the same guy is something else)
It's not the first time that's the problem, but is constantly making the mistake that the problem.
EDIT: 850 posts!

Last edited:
A VS Recorder battle. I lead with Breloom, AI leads with Kangaskhan. I know that the Kangaskhan has Return, which OHKOs Breloom. What does Kangaskhan use after Mega Evolving? Earthquake. And I get to Spore it.

A VS Recorder battle. I lead with Breloom, AI leads with Kangaskhan. I know that the Kangaskhan has Return, which OHKOs Breloom. What does Kangaskhan use after Mega Evolving? Earthquake. And I get to Spore it.
The problem with VS Recorder AIs is that they are as stupid as...well think of something stupid.

Generally, when practicing against a VS Recorder opponent, I expect to take twice as many loses against the real thing.

Back when I was playing FireRed, I was at the Karate Gym. The Hitmonlee had just nailed my Blastoise, and had a chance to knock it out.
The Hitmonlee, instead of knocking me out, used Foresight. I then finished it off laughing.

Not as stupid as a wild Linoone who kept using Odor Sleuth on my young Aron like 4 times. It finally wised up, and used Headbutt, before I knocked it out.

Actually, that was 2 turns before I knocked it out.

Not as stupid as a wild Linoone who kept using Odor Sleuth on my young Aron like 4 times. It finally wised up, and used Headbutt, before I knocked it out.

Actually, that was 2 turns before I knocked it out.
Well, wild Pokemon have a completely random AI. It makes some sense I guess? But when the god of the Pokemon world just uses random attacks it knew in the last four levels it is kind of jarring.

I was facing Drake. He was on his last Pokemon (Kingdra) and I had two left. He had nailed me with Surf, and had a chance to knock me out on the next turn. Instead, he inexplicably used Yawn. I proceeded to demolish him with a STAB Crunch from my Mightyena.

After awakening Kyogre, I went to Route 126 to battle a Swimmer. My Latias failed to OHKO his Gyarados, and it responded with...Rain Dance. While there's heavy rain.

After that facepalm worthy moment, I battled a different trainer on the same route. This time, it's an Azumarill. Guess what move it used after barely surviving Latias's attack.

What, is a heavy downpour that threatens to flood the entire region not enough for you?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)