The dumbest thing the AI has ever done?

In the route leading up to Celestic Tower in White2 there is a trainer using a Sunflora. Against my Tornadus (Dream Radar is lyf) they use Natural Gift which makes sense as all its other moves are surely NVE Grass attacks...except it wasn’t holding a berry and therefore wasted its time entirely.

In the route leading up to Celestic Tower in White2 there is a trainer using a Sunflora. Against my Tornadus (Dream Radar is lyf) they use Natural Gift which makes sense as all its other moves are surely NVE Grass attacks...except it wasn’t holding a berry and therefore wasted its time entirely.
You can't expect the trainer AI to understand Sunflora's lack of a berry to use Natural Gift with... If a battle facility trainer can choice-lock themselves into Protect, then what hope do the trainers on the way to becoming champion have?

Choice items and the AI never mix (in any generation). I've a rule of just basically never giving out Choice items to the Trainers I edit. By and large makes them better.

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
So a while back Alpharad did a solo Mudkip run (emphasis on Mudkip) of Emerald.

He initially had trouble fighting Wattson despite an insane level advantage because Mudkip vs Electrics with Shock Wave, but Wattson randomly decided to have his Manectric use Howl instead of Shock Wave. Don't Gym Leaders have above-average AI?

(Wattson could have ran out of Shock Wave PP, but I don't think that happened based on the footage.)

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
He initially had trouble fighting Wattson despite an insane level advantage because Mudkip vs Electrics with Shock Wave, but Wattson randomly decided to have his Manectric use Howl instead of Shock Wave. Don't Gym Leaders have above-average AI?
Stranger yet, I was going to suggest maybe the AI decided to switch to using Quick Attack and so used Howl to increase Quick Attack's Power. But problem with that is Manectric would have gone first before the final Mud-Slap which it didn't. With it's only other moves being Thunder Wave, the AI did Howl for no reason. My only guess is maybe, while the AI understood Howl increased its Attack stat, it didn't understand Shock Wave worked off Special Attack. It was trying to power-up and use a super effective attack, it's just that the mechanics were more complicated then it was programmed for so didn't know the power-up wouldn't affect the super effective attack.

What's funny about Sun and Moon's AI is that they seem to completely ignore abilities, I wouldn't be surprised if there was no code to take your Pokemon's abilities into account at all. I've won quite a few matches in the Battle Tree just by switching in my Lanturn against an Electric type and setting up with Agility and Amnesia to effortlessly destroy their entire team. Am I the only one that's experienced this?

What's funny about Sun and Moon's AI is that they seem to completely ignore abilities, I wouldn't be surprised if there was no code to take your Pokemon's abilities into account at all. I've won quite a few matches in the Battle Tree just by switching in my Lanturn against an Electric type and setting up with Agility and Amnesia to effortlessly destroy their entire team. Am I the only one that's experienced this?
That's kind of been a thing since abilities were introduced in gen 3.

Has it always been universal? I might be remembering wrong, but I feel like it wasn’t quite that bad in Gen 4.

I know for sure that Gen 4 trainers are willing to use a Water attack against a Pokémon with Dry Skin even after it fails the first time. I’ve wondered if this oversight maybe resulted from the fact that no regular trainer Pokémon ever has Dry Skin in those games (trainers’ Croagunk/Toxicroak always have Anticipation while I believe trainers’ Paras/Parasect all have Effect Spore by default).

However, G4 trainers always seem to handle Levitate appropriately, for example, even against Bronzor/Bronzong, the only Pokémon at the time with Levitate as one of two ability options.

I’m not as familiar with the AI quirks of other gens, but I’d be interested to hear if anyone has any insight about how abilities are handled. It’s hard to find info about this except by watching speedrunners or investigating yourself.

In gen 3, I won my first symbol due to Noland's Slaking using Earthquake versus my Flygon. So yes, that was a thing since the beginning.

It's not like Noland was the guardian of the knowledge symbol, or anything like that.
I think the only Slaking with EQ in the Frontier is the one holding a Choice Band, so that might not be an example of bad AI

CTNC

Doesn't know how to attack
I'm usually okay with the AI Dynamax Adventure gives you, but it just hurt my brain a lot. I thought my teammates looked good. An Imposter Ditto, Swoobat, and a Lilligant that knew Pollen Puff. (My Pokemon was the most useless and did pretty much nothing, but that's my fault. :P) Trevenant looked like an easy first opponent but things went very poorly. Part of it was luck and part of it was me letting this happen for too long by being the weakest link on purpose, but there's no way that stops this from deserving to be here.

Lilligant started well. She attacked with Pollen Puff for a a turn or two then started spamming Quiver Dance. She took a breaks to heal an ally with Pollen Puff and to attack one more time, but she was Solrock V2.0.

The Dynamax Adventure Trevenant knows Horn Leech, Drain Punch, Reflect, and Trick Room and Ditto transformed into it. (because it had no choice) I know that sounds bad, but Ditto's the only thing that went right. The only times it wouldn't attack were to set up Reflect and to reverse Trick Room. Toward the end, Ditto tried to reverse it only for Trevenant to use Trick Room in the same turn two turns in a row. I actually think that's good AI that's just messed up by Wild Pokemon RNG AI, but the point is Ditto's only attack was Horn Leech and it was the MVP.

The first turn, Swoobat used Simple Beam on Trevenant. That was odd, but okay. As long as she uses Air Sla- Turn two, Speed Swap on Lilligant. Uh... they both outspeed Trevenant, but with that out of the way she should start attacking. Air Slash, it missed twice in a row. It hit later when used a third time and if they all hit I might have won, but in hindsight I'm not sure if I want to have won. On the turns she wasn't attacking, Swoobat used Speed Swap on Trevenant, Lilligant, Lilligant again, Ditto, then Trevenant again in that order. (I think the Air Slash that hit was between the Lilligants.) Maybe Trick Room was messing with the AI's use of Speed Swap? I have no idea... and I think neither does the AI...

I was almost thankful for getting blown out of the den when the 10 turn timer ran out. I think I should pick Pokemon that know Taunt so I can use it on AI partners.

I'm not entirely sure how I was able to beat Heatran, Landorus or Kyurem when I was using a support Pokemon spamming support moves, but the AI can carry you to victory. It's just very, very bad at it sometimes... Still sounds better than some of the random online players...

Edit: Either I misremembered the order or this is worse that it looks at first glance. Swoobat got Trevenant's speed, used Speed Swap on the same Pokemon twice in a row which does nothing, and after that Swoobat gave Trevenaut's Speed to the Ditto that had transformed into Trevenaut... I repeat, Swoobat used Speed Swap to swap speed with a Pokemon with the same speed as it.

Last edited:
I faced Entei with a Alolan Sandslash and a Klang as AI allies. What was stupid was that they weren't targeted by any Fire moves! I think only one of them got smack by an Extremespeed, but were fine otherwise. Next adventure featured the AI swapping Breaking Swipe Sceptile for Carkoal, right before Zygarde! This was followed by a Raikou that targeted a Diggersby while it used dig with an Electric move, TWICE!

I faced Entei with a Alolan Sandslash and a Klang as AI allies. What was stupid was that they weren't targeted by any Fire moves! I think only one of them got smack by an Extremespeed, but were fine otherwise. Next adventure featured the AI swapping Breaking Swipe Sceptile for Carkoal, right before Zygarde! This was followed by a Raikou that targeted a Diggersby while it used dig with an Electric move, TWICE!
I actually think the bosses have significant chance to *not* target the AI partners.
I've been doing raids with friends for a few hours yesterday, and since one had some connection issue, we had to do a few in 3 + 1AI.
The AI barely if ever got any hit, often managing to get its starting pokemon all the way to the end, also featuring 20% hp Dugtrio completely untargetted for entirety of a Solgaleo fight.

What's your percentage of successfuls run ?

With AI Partner, only 1 success / 7 runs
With online players, only 1 success / 4 runs

The three first rounds are no-brain, but the boss with that spread moves are too strong for me :(

Define dumb.
In XY, I was in a triple battle. One of my Pkm was Zoroark, and it copied Drapion's look. The AI had a Pkm that knew Toxic. Guess which Pkm it targeted? Zoroark.
Usually, if you see a Pkm that appears to be a Poison type, you don't try poisoning it, unless you think your opponent is going to switch out their Pkm. But, as far as I know, the AI doesn't think that far.
I guess the AI knew Drapion wasn't Drapion but a Zoroark in reality, which is why the used Toxic on it. On the other hand, if Zoroark was Crobat, the AI would never use Psychic against it, in my experiences.

I actually think the bosses have significant chance to *not* target the AI partners.
I've been doing raids with friends for a few hours yesterday, and since one had some connection issue, we had to do a few in 3 + 1AI.
The AI barely if ever got any hit, often managing to get its starting pokemon all the way to the end, also featuring 20% hp Dugtrio completely untargetted for entirety of a Solgaleo fight.
i've had solo runs where the bosses decide not to target me at all and plenty of runs where they don't bother with the sure fire thing (either me or the AI at low health or just frail) or SE at all.

I think its just purely random

Unless you get Psychic as boss type, try to pick up a Wide Guard user on the way and stick with it if you're with AI or non-organized-players.
And then literally just spam Wide Guard on the boss until you run out of PP.

No, seriously, do it.
Are they common ? I don't think I have seen an Wide guard rental Pokemon ^_^

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)