The dumbest thing the AI has ever done?

Dumbest thing the AI has done for me was o a Deoxys and a Raikou in OR which kept spamming Cosmic Power despite being at max already while the Raikou spammed Reflect despite Reflect already activated the turn before.

brightobject

there like moonlight
is a Top Artistis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Not sure if this has happened to anyone else before but in the battle maison I was facing off against a starting lineup of a Weezing and a Miltank
The Miltank began the battle with a Helping Hand, and the Weezing promptly followed it up by using Will'O Wisp on Miltank
Whereupon Miltank's Lum Berry activated and healed its burn...

This is more RNG related but NPCs using Roar and Whirlwind tend to find themselves facing a pokemon with an advantageous move, like a an opposing Aron facing my Linoone with Rock Smal or even more appropriately a Hariyama vs. my Event Metang with a STAB Psychic move

Last edited:
I'll go with a classic: whenever the AI kills their Pokemon on the field by using Curse when it is <50% health (when it was possible for this to happen).

The Battle Factory in Emerald also appears to have poor AI. In Doubles, the opponent seems to choose a target at random. Earlier I had a Feraligatr and a Vileplume on the field and I was facing something with Giga Drain. First turn it targets the Vileplume. Later it decided to target the Feraligatr. This is just one example of something that has happened several times.

Just yesterday in the XY Battle Chateau now one, but the two, audinos of one of the kimnono girls was hell bent on using healing move in my pokemon. Uh, ok? Yeah those 10 HP points my Talonflame was missing are nice, thanks. I fly on it (because that talonflame is my hatching pokemon and I farm money at the Battle Chateau) and it faints. Then her next and last audino does exactly the same thing.

In eight years I have never had such a face palm worthy experience and that's counting all those useless stat boosting moves.
Oh, those Audinos are f*cked up! And they only have one attacking move!

What were the programmers thinking when they programmed in those Audinos move sets?! What good could a Heal Pulse do in single battles, when Heal Pulse was meant for Double and Triple Battles?!

At this point, when I'm raising a Ghost type, all I have to do is send in that Ghost type, and wall the f*ck out of them until they either run out of PP, or better yet, die from their burns. When they start using Heal Pulse, I feel so sorry for them, that I just want to run, that is how pathetic it is! Oh, but that's right, you can't run from trainers! Oh well Audino, I guess you'll have to bite the bullet! Wouldn't want your trainers to loose their pride!

>In Tate and Liza's Gym
>Battle a Hex Maniac leading with Absol, a Dark-type
>Hex Maniac leads with a Kirlia, a Psychic/Fairy type
>Instead of using a faity-type move Hex Maniac switches to Grumpig, not only did she let me set up a SD, Grumpig is Pure psychic type
>One Night Slash l8r, Grumpig faints
>Then Kirlia faints later.

I already read the post stating the fact that trainers will switch oup pokémon if there isn;t anything they could do against my pokemon, but the dumbest part about all this was that the hex maniac didn't teach Kirlia a Fairy-type move

Morningstar: Pretty sure NPC trainers (except Battle Maison AIs and people like that) are programmed to have their Pokemon learn all the moves that they naturally would by level-up, so at level 39, Kirlia would have Calm Mind, Psychic, Future Sight, and Imprison. If in-game trainers were really smart, Team Aqua grunts would never let their Carvanhas forget Aqua Jet.

I'd say this thread is more about Battle Maison/Subway/etc. AIs who are supposed to engage as much intelligence as possible. The rest just follow a formula.

In heartgold, I was battling a trainers alakazam that had energy ball, focus miss, and psychic. It begins with me sending in my Rapidash (I was underleveled af) so Alakazam uses energy ball, which did over half, then I switch into my Vaporeon (Misclick, meant to go into weezing to take an energy ball) so he uses focus blast, and it misses, next turn, uses it again, and it hits. A few turns later, after it killed my weezing, I sent in my Tyranitar, in which case it outspeeds and goes for a psychic, allowing me to kill it.

So I'm facing Calem and his Delphox on the rematch in Kiloude City, right? I was a bit underleveled, and sent in Absol. Now, I know for a fact that Calem's Delphox has Mystic Fire and Shadow Ball. Does it use them? NOPE~*~*~
It uses Psychic!
...Aaaannd promptly takes a Sucker Punch to the face.
Good job there, Calem. Good job.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Oh, those Audinos are f*cked up! And they only have one attacking move!

What were the programmers thinking when they programmed in those Audinos move sets?! What good could a Heal Pulse do in single battles, when Heal Pulse was meant for Double and Triple Battles?!

At this point, when I'm raising a Ghost type, all I have to do is send in that Ghost type, and wall the f*ck out of them until they either run out of PP, or better yet, die from their burns. When they start using Heal Pulse, I feel so sorry for them, that I just want to run, that is how pathetic it is! Oh, but that's right, you can't run from trainers! Oh well Audino, I guess you'll have to bite the bullet! Wouldn't want your trainers to loose their pride!
I always thought those Audinos were kind of the game developers way of adding in a place you can experience grind.

If you want to talk about a stupid trainer you can easily wall, let's talk about Korrina, shall we? Yes, Kalos' 3rd Gym Leader, successor to Mega Evolution... she doesn't understand type coverage. Or rather she doesn't understand type immunity, as if you send out a Ghost-type Pokemon she can't really do anything to you. Her only Pokemon that can damage a Ghost-type during the Gym Battle is her Machoke which knows Rock Tomb, but considering the prominent Ghost-type in Kalos is part Steel-type you'd still be able to wall it pretty well. And I know in the past we've had Gym Leaders who had teams you could wall completely like Giovanni with a Flying-type in Yellow or Brawley with a Ghost-type in Emerald, but I would like to think by Gen VI the game developers would know the type chart enough to know that if the Pokemon's main type is one that another type is immune to it really needs type coverage (then again I kind of expect type coverage for weaknesses from my Gym Leaders in the first place). I mean, come on, Korrina's ace Hawlucha can be completely walled by a Ghost-type and it's part Flying-type so you could have given it a Flying-type move and no one would take a second glance (true it'll still be effectively walled by a Steel-type, but at least it'll be able to cause some damage with a STAB)!

I always thought those Audinos were kind of the game developers way of adding in a place you can experience grind.

If you want to talk about a stupid trainer you can easily wall, let's talk about Korrina, shall we? Yes, Kalos' 3rd Gym Leader, successor to Mega Evolution... she doesn't understand type coverage. Or rather she doesn't understand type immunity, as if you send out a Ghost-type Pokemon she can't really do anything to you. Her only Pokemon that can damage a Ghost-type during the Gym Battle is her Machoke which knows Rock Tomb, but considering the prominent Ghost-type in Kalos is part Steel-type you'd still be able to wall it pretty well. And I know in the past we've had Gym Leaders who had teams you could wall completely like Giovanni with a Flying-type in Yellow or Brawley with a Ghost-type in Emerald, but I would like to think by Gen VI the game developers would know the type chart enough to know that if the Pokemon's main type is one that another type is immune to it really needs type coverage (then again I kind of expect type coverage for weaknesses from my Gym Leaders in the first place). I mean, come on, Korrina's ace Hawlucha can be completely walled by a Ghost-type and it's part Flying-type so you could have given it a Flying-type move and no one would take a second glance (true it'll still be effectively walled by a Steel-type, but at least it'll be able to cause some damage with a STAB)!
Actually Giovanni's Yellow team doesn't get walled by Flying types at all except Dugtrio. Persian has Slash, the Nidos has Thunder while Rhydon has Rock Slide.
Otherwise, I agree with what you said

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Actually Giovanni's Yellow team doesn't get walled by Flying types at all except Dugtrio. Persian has Slash, the Nidos has Thunder while Rhydon has Rock Slide.
Otherwise, I agree with what you said
Oh, I guess I must be remembering a playthrough which must have mentioned the Dugtrio thing and I applies it to all his Pokemon. Actually, that makes things worse! It means the earlier games knew to make sure their Gym Leaders had type coverage while the new games we get situations like Emerald's Brawly and XY's Korrina!

Versus Drayden and Iris in Black and White (they both did this), they used Dragon Dance with Haxorus, then went for Dragon Tail.

I'm sure stupider things have happened, but this is the one thing I remember that really got to me.

Versus Drayden and Iris in Black and White (they both did this), they used Dragon Dance with Haxorus, then went for Dragon Tail.

I'm sure stupider things have happened, but this is the one thing I remember that really got to me.
So? Dragon Tail is a physical move. I've used Dragon Tail with my Zygarde, and used the forced switch as an opportunity to Dragon Dance, used DD, then used a boosted Dragon Tail, and used the forced switch to power up.

So? Dragon Tail is a physical move. I've used Dragon Tail with my Zygarde, and used the forced switch as an opportunity to Dragon Dance, used DD, then used a boosted Dragon Tail, and used the forced switch to power up.
Using a minus priority move when you've boosted your speed.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 4)