The Everything MLB Thread

honestly, I really don't like how MLB's playoff system works. I would much rather see eight team from each league enter the playoffs and have a system similar to the NBA. I think too many teams that have potental (like Toronto, and Cleveland) ever get a chance to shine. because New York or Boston normally grabs a wild card spot.

i agree, would golden state have ever beaten dallas if the nba didn't do that? ;x

maybe six teams though or it would take just as long as the nba playoffs and they'd be playing in december.

Jackal

I'm not retarded I'm Canadian it's different
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Well the fact that the jays face the teams they need to pass can be a blessing if you ask me...

Halladay for Cy Young is obviously a stretch, but there is no reason that he cant get his era sub 3.50 with 18 wins.

And Rios doesn't get coverage cause he is in Canada, and ESPN dont even realize the blue jays exist...And Rios and Jeter are far from apples and oranges, they are almost identical except Rios has the pop in his bat that Jeter doesnt...look at their numbers, K/BB rates and SB are almost identical, they both hit for average. Rios has more doubles and home runs, showing he is the better slugger, which is why his OPS is that much higher. Jeter gets on base a bit more with his typical singles, but youd think in the yankee offense he would have more runs scored than rios, but it is quite the opposite.

AL hitters I would rather have in my lineup this season based on statistics:
Arod
Ordonez
Morneau
Guerrero

and when you look at how much money they make and how young rios is...you have a franchise player in the making. It is a shame sizemore gets all the credit and attention he does as the all american player, the ONLY thing he has over rios is that his manager lets him steal.

Sizemore also has the whole "young guns" aura around him, because by and far, the Indians are a young team, which ESPN loves. Rios also has to compete with other superstars on his team, such as Halladay, Troy Glaus (sort of...), Lyle Overbay, Frank Thomas, and Vernon Wells. But yes, I do agree with you that he is a very underrated player who puts up outstanding numbers.

One more issue at hand: the Diamondbacks have won 20 of their last 25 games and are 3.5 games ahead of San Diego for 1st place. Who would've ever seen that coming?

I stopped reading when you said Overspenders as Usual for the Orioles.

Peter Angelos is usually one of the stingier managers in baseball and doesn't sign people. This is like the first years he's done something, but it's horribly failed because our bullpen sucks. :<

"But king Phillip is on the mound tomorrow so we're fine."
Against Erik Bedard, he's nothing. He's like one of the two good things to happen to the Orioles this year.

Orioles need a freaking outfield. Whenever we overspend, it's always on washed up pieces of crap like Jay Payton, Steve Traschel, and Aubrey Huff. It's ridiculous. Jay Payton is so pathetic we pinch hit Tyke Redman for him. I'm glad we're over 500 since firing Perlozzo, though. :D

honestly, I really don't like how MLB's playoff system works. I would much rather see eight team from each league enter the playoffs and have a system similar to the NBA. I think too many teams that have potental (like Toronto, and Cleveland) ever get a chance to shine. because New York or Boston normally grabs a wild card spot.
As cool as that sounds, i really wouldn't see that working out, as some already feel the playoffs are already held out too long. Adding more teams would drag it out even longer, which would be boring in my eyes.

i agree, would golden state have ever beaten dallas if the nba didn't do that? ;x

maybe six teams though or it would take just as long as the nba playoffs and they'd be playing in december.
Well, just remember that the NBA plays best-of-7 in all rounds, whereas; the MLB would only do a best-of-5 in the first round. Honestly, teams need to play EVERY single night, except when they change cities to play.

the NBA should do the exact same thing. This way a best-of-7 series can be played in 10 or 11 days at the most. This is all speculation though, as sports for the most part will never change.

The best playoff system that exists is the NCAA basketball bracket (I.E. March Madness)

The NBA playoffs are the worst. They last way too long. And so many shitty teams get in. When sub 500 teams make the playoffs i just think what is the point. The MLB playoffs are good as is. If you went to a 16 team format, think of the shit that would make it in the National league. Sure you can name 8 worthy teams from the american leauge but if you can tell me 8 teams in the national league that deserve to make the playoffs i'll give you a blowjob.

Also the yankee's just ran off another 3 games. Against the tigers too.

makiri

My vast and supreme will shall be done!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Three-Time Past SPL Championis a Two-Time Past WCoP Champion
So much for this being the toughest part of the Yankee's schedule right? Everyone writes the Yankees off "they aren't going to make it," "too big of a lead," "blah blah blah I don't get it" but then they start reeling off wins and people jump back on the bandwagon, if the season ended right now they would be in.

And to be honest the MLB probably has the best playoff system. The playoffs are used to determine the best of the best, with only 8 total teams getting in, it really is the best of the best, in every other sport almost half of the league gets in. Every other sports playoffs seem to drag on forever, MLB's finish in under a month. The reason that the NBA and NFL allow so many teams is marketing, Golden State was filled with NBA frenzy last year, but normally they wouldn't make it. Teams seeded low rarely reach the championship, let alone win.

Then there are the people who say baseball has no parity, the same team wins every year, this is not true. In fact one could argue that the MLB has the most parity. Look at the last 10 World Series and their participants:

2006- Cardinals vs Tigers
2005- White Sox vs Astros
2004- Red Sox vs Cardinals
2003- Marlins vs Yankees
2002- Angels vs Giants
2001- Diamondbacks vs Yankees
2000- Yankees vs Mets
1999- Yankees vs Braves
1998- Yankees vs Padres
1997- Marlins vs Indians

7 different winners
8 Wild Card teams including 5 straight and 4 winners
Several small market teams have either won or participated (small market is usually based on different numbers depending on the source, article, or author)

Now take a look at the NBA and NFL
NBA Finals (1997-2007):
2 wins by the Bulls
4 wins by the Spurs
3 wins by the Lakers
1 win by the Pistons
1 win by the Heat

The winners have been a part of this select group, go into the 90s, only 3 different teams won the Finals. Go into the 80s, domination by the Celtics and Lakers. Go into the 50s and 60s, complete domination by the Celtics. Usually won by a top 3 seed in either conference.

Super Bowl (1997-2007):
Several repeats
AFC domination
7 different teams

The NFL does have parity but is by no means near the parity of the MLB, just go back and see the Steelers decade, the Cowboys decade, and the 49ers decade. In the MLB 25 teams (of 30) have reached the World Series at least once, in the NFL only 17 (of 32).

the mlb has different people win every year just because the playoffs are so tight and good teams miss them every year, and there's a lot of good teams as opposed to the nba which has just a few good for several years (like now, who else is good besides mavs, spurs, suns, pistons, cavs, heat?)

Jackal

I'm not retarded I'm Canadian it's different
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
zerowing dont forget the nhl, where the 8th seed always seems to make the cup final. The parity in hockey outdoes them all ;p

Ahaha first time it's happenned in almost 110 years, and its the new modern-day record lol. Also 29 hits is the most by one team in a game since the brewers did it in about '91 or '92

EDIT- and the best part is their 7,8, and 9 hitters did the most damage

Max

yadig
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I'm ashamed of how bad the Orioles did that game, lol. :/ Oh well, it only counts as one...

I was watching the yankees game when they showed Texas just destroy the O's. Texas posting up a 30run ( i think they where unearned) but I thought it was like some kind of typo. I wish I saw that game to see how it all unfolded.

I was watching the yankees game when they showed Texas just destroy the O's. Texas posting up a 30run ( i think they where unearned) but I thought it was like some kind of typo. I wish I saw that game to see how it all unfolded.
Actully none of the 30 runs were unearned.

Ancien Régime

washed gay RSE player
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I stopped reading when you said Overspenders as Usual for the Orioles.

Peter Angelos is usually one of the stingier managers in baseball and doesn't sign people. This is like the first years he's done something, but it's horribly failed because our bullpen sucks. :<

"But king Phillip is on the mound tomorrow so we're fine."
Against Erik Bedard, he's nothing. He's like one of the two good things to happen to the Orioles this year.

Orioles need a freaking outfield. Whenever we overspend, it's always on washed up pieces of crap like Jay Payton, Steve Traschel, and Aubrey Huff. It's ridiculous. Jay Payton is so pathetic we pinch hit Tyke Redman for him. I'm glad we're over 500 since firing Perlozzo, though. :D
As a Nationals fan, I must say that if we gave you our bullpen, and maybe Young or Church, you'd be over 500 for the year if not in WC contention.

Bedard is Cy Young caliber, and Guthrie is close to him - how many teams can say that?

You guys are close, closer than we are.

Let's just hope some of our picks and prospects pan out.

Okay i needed to post a few things.

The Yankee's just swept boston.

They have 1 game on the wild card.

Joba Chamberlain is god.

makiri

My vast and supreme will shall be done!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Three-Time Past SPL Championis a Two-Time Past WCoP Champion
I actually never saw Joba pitch before this week. The future of the Yankees is looking very good right now, Melky, Cano, Hughes already implanted themselves into the everyday lineup and playing fantastically. Joba adds another arm to Hughes and that will be an amazing 1-2 punch in 4-5 years. Looks like stopping the "trade every prospect we have for overpaid vets" is working out nicely. I am actually looking forward to the future to see how this all pans out.

I still can't believe the D'Backs lost all those games to the Padres...last time they met up, they swept them I believe. Either way, they're now neck and neck. GO DIAMONDBACKS!

I know thinking about the youth of the yankees makes me happy. Knowing that i will be watching Melky, Cano, King Phillip, Joba, and Ian Kennedy for the next 20 years gets me pumped.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)