The Everything NHL Thread

Vineon

Fleurdelysé
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Speaking of, olympic hockey will be played for the first time on NHL sized rinks, is that meant to be a permanent change or will it only be in effect in Olympics held in North America?

Eraddd

One Pixel
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Sunday= not cool unless it's at 4pm or after. I have church from 9-3.

Edit: And as for Vinneon's question, Vancouver doesn't have (so far as I could see in my home town) a Olympic sized rink (B.C place might work but... there's alot of shit going on there, lots of debate over the roof and how the Liberals might have screwed the project and stuff), and in the financial state Vancouver is in (2.8 billion dollar debt, fucking liberals), Olympic sized rinks are out of the question, and I think they just decided to go with GM place as a cheap alternative. I could be wrong though.

Vineon

Fleurdelysé
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Sunday= not cool unless it's at 4pm or after. I have church from 9-3.

Edit: And as for Vinneon's question, Vancouver doesn't have (so far as I could see in my home town) a Olympic sized rink (B.C place might work but... there's alot of shit going on there, lots of debate over the roof and how the Liberals might have screwed the project and stuff), and in the financial state Vancouver is in (2.8 billion dollar debt, fucking liberals), Olympic sized rinks are out of the question, and I think they just decided to go with GM place as a cheap alternative. I could be wrong though.
This makes no sense to me Eraddd. An olympic sized rink would have been just another mandatory installation added to fit Olympic events, I'm assuming NHL sized rinks will just become the norm from now on, at least when they are held here. Its also probably not that hard to make it so current arenas like the GM place can fit in an international rink.

2.8 billions a provincial debt is nothing, especially consider the Olympic costs, unless you meant it as this year's deficit. Even then, all provinces will score a deficit this year even without Olympic costs, including usually crumbling-under-money Alberta.

Eraddd

One Pixel
This makes no sense to me Eraddd. An olympic sized rink would have been just another mandatory installation added to fit Olympic events, I'm assuming NHL sized rinks will just become the norm from now on, at least when they are held here. Its also probably not that hard to make it so current arenas like the GM place can fit in an international rink.

2.8 billions a provincial debt is nothing, especially consider the Olympic costs, unless you meant it as this year's deficit. Even then, all provinces will score a deficit this year even without Olympic costs, including usually crumbling-under-money Alberta.
After doing some research, I'm guessing that they did it to cut some costs back. Doing this would require at least 10 million dollars in renovations, and then they'd have to fix it before the Canucks came back to play in the rink. Plus, it's an extra 35000 seats for sale for IOC.

I meant year's deficit. Yeah, but it pisses me off how the B.C gov.t lied, and pretty much told us that everything was fine at the election, then they spring up a new tax, and tell us every thing isn't fine, and cut health care and god knows what.

I meant year's deficit. Yeah, but it pisses me off how the B.C gov.t lied, and pretty much told us that everything was fine at the election, then they spring up a new tax, and tell us every thing isn't fine, and cut health care and god knows what.
Yea, it's like that everywhere. I have a really hard time not blaming it on my government too.

Here is a real-NHL topic no one expects to get brought up(as much as I'd rather rant about how much time I'm losing to the NHL 10 demo with the update puck physicals/goalies): I want to touch on the Atlanta Thrashers.

They are in what I think is going to be a pretty tough division this year. The Canes may have overachieved a bit, but they're coming off a conference finals trip. The Capitals are certainly hungry watching their rival Penguins lift the cup, and Tampa has improved a lot. lol the Florida Panthers.

But I will go as far to say that I think this Atlanta squad will make the playoffs this year if they don't have a major injury to a star player. I feel like they (understandably with how bad they've been) are a pretty uncovered team and there is a lot of talent here many people might not know about. I don't like them much for fantasy just because there are soooo many variables (especially on the blue line) and +/- is usually an issue but they have a pretty interesting team here.

You figure it looks something like
Kovalchuk-Antropov-????
Kozlov-Little-White

on the top two lines, which doesn't jump out at you at first, but when you consider as far as production goes that was basically the best second line in the league last year and Kovalchuk is getting a decent pivot, it is a pretty good set-up. That empty winger slot is interesting, too. They have a lot of talented young guys - Angelo Esposito and Evander Kane, for instance - they might try and bump up and try out there. Slava is getting a little old, but other than him(who presumably will be replaced with those two young guys take his spot and the filler one) this is a really young, talented forward core. They're building pretty well up front.

The back end looks something like

Enstrom-Bogosian
Kubina-Hainsey
Salmela-filler

I'm not sure what the pairings will actually look like, an the third pairing is pretty awful no matter what but this is a more talented blue line than it appears, I think. Enstrom had 40+ points his rookie year, Hainsey did the same last year, and Bogosian was nearly point per game the month of the season, even if it took him a while to get rolling. Kubina is a strong addition to the blue line as well.

The main issue, of course, is that this is a grouping of what amounts to exclusively "offensive defenseman"(except Bogosian?), but that should make the tempo of this team really fun to watch. All four of the top guys here are real strong in the puck movement department, and with the forwards being as quick and skilled as they are this could be a real interesting, aggressive offense. And a strong team if this sort of sketchy defensive core, combined with the sort of sketchy backchecking by the very offensive group of forwards, can keep the puck from getting fished out of the net being guarded by the really inconsistent Kari Lehtinen. It was only three years ago he seemed like he was going to be the next big thing, though, and I wouldn't be surprised to see him bounce back to have a strong, if not a fantasy dominating (6-4 wins don't look real good on your stats) season.

Just posting to say I think these guys will be a fun team to watch this year, y'all oughta tune in ;)

Eraddd

One Pixel
I've been watching the Vancouver Giants for a while now, and following Lucic, Kane, Blum, Pierro-Zabotel and the rest of the crew, and I truly believe that Kane in a few years will be a force to be reckoned with. Already in the WHL, he dominated along side with Pierro, and with the right line mates, and given the chance in the NHL, I wouldn't be surprised if he comes up big.

Atlanta I think might be a contender.

Vineon

Fleurdelysé
After seeing Kane at the draft, going solely by his look, I don't think he is ready for the NHL just yet. He just looked so incredibly young, he likely needs a few more years to physically mature in the whl before making the huge leap to the pros.

I don't think he's ready to be a real player yet either but it sounds like Atlanta is looking for an excuse they can to let him play in the pros this year, even if he's doing the third line-PK thing. If nothing else it gets the young guys experience sooner. I think this will be a year they progress but this is certainly not "the year", so why not let the kids play? I wouldn't be too surprised to see Esposito hanging out on the Kovalchuk line a bit, though. A couple years on those guys and the young guys on the blue line... and maybe on Pavelec if Lehtinen doesn't recover...

Eraddd

One Pixel
Well yeah, that's why I said a few years ;). If he even makes the team, he'll probably be playing 3rd or 4th line.

I am waiting for Esposito to come out, he was supposed to be solid if not good and I don't know what happened to him...

Vineon

Fleurdelysé
I am waiting for Esposito to come out, he was supposed to be solid if not good and I don't know what happened to him...
Within his last year before the draft, he went from the top prospect to being drafted I believe somewhere near the 20th.

I think people have realised he is overrated, starting with the Penguins, who didn't mind letting him go. If he ever becomes an impact player, it will probably be after a few seasons in the NHL rather than soon. Besides, I've seen more spectacular jr numbers and there is something weird about a player scoring less as a 18 and 19 yo than he did as a 16 yo.

Then again, he did have have a good jr world championship (after team canada ignored him for like 3 years straight) and I'd love him to prove me wrong, he is a local boy and I love him very much.

w00t talking about my team here. In any case, the lines will go something like:

Kovalchuk/Peverley/Antropov
Kozlov/Little/White

Peverley is money (almost a PPG after being put on waivers) and showed some chemistry with Kovalchuk, though White played center for Kovalchuk for the majority of the year (mainly because Peverley can play PK as well). The defensive pairings will be interesting, but I know for a fact that it'll be Enstrom and Bogosian together. I don't know how Anderson wants to mix up the rest, but I think it'll be Kubina/Valabik and Hainsey/Salmela. If rumors are true, and we manage to sign Zherdev, I'll kick myself if we don't make it to the playoffs.

I also can't wait for some of Atlanta's prospects to make it to the team, namely Postma and Kane. The future looks bright, but we need money =[

They probably remind him of home !

I slotted Antropov in at C since Waddel mentioned in an interview he saw him more as a pivot, though if they don't let any prospects play on the scoring lines I imagine that'll be the trio. Enstrom/Bogosian is such a ridiculously sick young duo, it'll be fun to see them keep developing together. Of course, the main worry here is Kovalchuk being on the last year of his deal... gotta worry about him fleeing for greener pastures if there isn't a playoff berth this year.

DM

Ce soir, on va danser.
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
why check two threads when you can check 1
Because I hate sifting through posts to find stuff I actually want to read. I don't think it will be a problem anymore once the season actually starts.

You have watched him play C right? He's much better as a winger lol
He isn't that bad really. Most players, especially forwards in the NHL can step up and play whatever they just need to work on some of the key aspects of the position that differ from what they usually play. I know, for example, I play college hockey as a Defenseman but if for whatever reason I need to play center, I am solid at it because it has D responsibilites similar to a Defenseman and I can win faceoffs.

OrbitingDeath

formerly SkylarGreen
[18:59:43] <Teifu> you and captain cashew can start the club of people who unexplainably love subpar teams

Avalanche > Trashers tbh!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)