The Guillotine

Hey guys, Bowl Cut here-- 5th Generation?! Yes, I recently got back from 4th Generation, and I plan on staying on 5th Generation because it is a lot of fun, especially with Blaziken not running around anymore, even though he was one of my favorite Pokemon to begin with. ANYWAYS, I am getting WAY off track here. This team focuses on getting sandstorm up as well as Stealth Rock and Spikes to ease the late game Garchomp sweep (or a possible Scizor sweep, but no one cares about him!). The theme of the team? I had two songs in mind. "The Guillotine" and "This War Is Ours", both of which are from Escape The Fate. I decided to go with "The Guillotine" because this team's primary goal is to sweep with Garchomp (which is the guillotine!), even though it could be considered "This War Is Ours" as well, but any weather team could be named after that song. I have shared this team with a lot of my close friends, such as BKC (who used the team to a great degree of success) and Jaxx, and it has worked well for both of them and the others as well. If you are for some reason reading this after the possible Garchomp ban, then consider this team outdated. Without further ado, here is "The Guillotine"!

Skarmory, if anything, got a huge buff since the past Generation. Sturdy, being the useless ability it was in 3rd and 4th Generations, is now a great ability this time around. Skarmory can literally take any attack in the game when it's at full health, and it isn't that much of a problem keeping it at full health due to Roost and the occasional Leftovers recovery. Skarmory's role in this team is to support the team with entry hazards (Spikes) and phaze (Whirlwind) physical sweepers such as Excadrill, Garchomp, Scrafty and etc. to stop their very unneeded sweeps. That's three moves out of the way, next up we have Brave Bird, which is my attacking move of choice, because it does decent damage to anything that doesn't resist Flying-. That's really about it for Brave Bird, it's pretty much a last resort, to say the least. In comparison to Skarmory's other moves, I only use Brave Bird like 10% of the time.

Big boss Tyranitar, much much much much much much different from what it was in 4th Generation. In 4th Generation, it was commonly seen to be either a check to many of the metagame's threats with its Choice Scarf or a complete power house with its Choice Band, or both with Dragon Dance. Now in 5th Generation, he is a totally different story. He is more of a tank in this Genetation, being 2HKO'd-4HKO'd by most attacks in the game (that it doesn't resist), and counter-attacking with Fire Blast, Ice Beam, Crunch, Superpower and etc., or take the opportunity to set up Stealth Rock or Pursuit something on the switch. I chose Fire Blast, Superpower and Crunch for my attacking moves, so Tyranitar will have the ability to OHKO Skarmory (assuming it isn't at full health) and outspeeding and surprise-killing opposing Tyranitar and still keep my Chople Berry for the possible Thundurus. Crunch is there for the obligatory STAB move as well as for hitting Pringles-- Jellicent. Stealth Rock is very self explanatory.

The team's answer to Terrakion, you know, the thing that can single-handedly 2HKO my entire team? Yeah, that thing. Gliscor is a great Pokemon this Generation, although he is quite different from his last Generation counterpart. He's more of a sturdy sweeper instead of the commonly seen Britscor stall-breaker in 4th Generation. Gliscor's main thing this Generation is Poison Heal - it prevents you from other unneeded status and heals you every turn for 1/12 of your health, which is slightly more than Leftovers. With all the cool things Gliscor got this Generation, if you choose to go with Poison Heal, you are going to have to stick with not having any form of reliable recovery, such as Roost, and it doesn't have the ability to set up Stealth Rock. With all of this in mind, this moveset is very straight forward. Taunt is there for the possible Ferrothorn (hell it's #2 in usage, of course it's going to be on 90% of the teams) as well as letting me beat Skarmory and etc.. Earthquake and Ice Fang are my attacking moves of choice, having a STAB move that has 100 Base Power without any boosts is too good to pass up and having some sort of attack that helps you take out dragons is also useful. Swords Dance, although it doesn't look like it, makes Gliscor a really strong Pokemon and a somewhat hard sweeper to stop, especially with Taunt.

Latios. It's a plane shaped fictional animal that can call meteors from the sky, attack with its tornado-summoning pulse and call tidal waves from the sea itself. Makes sense? Nope, but it's Pokemon, so no surprise. Anyway, this thing packs a punch on every one of its attacks (besides Trick). Draco Meteor hits HARD. REALLY hard. It's almost incomparable to how hard it hits. Surf also hits hard, but not as hard. Dragon Pulse is just there for the purpose of late-game cleaning, as a -1 Draco Meteor won't exactly kill anything semi-bulky. Trick, if used in the right turn, can be the end of Ferrothorn, Chansey, Blissey, pretty much any wall. I can't really be creative with explaning Choiced Pokemon, because they are really straight forward, so I apologize.

Rotom-W. It's a washing machine that can pump water, attack with the same "hidden power" as Latios' and attack with an electric ball and run away. Oh, and it can Trick. Rotom-W isn't exactly the big bad powerhouse like Latios, but it's more of a thing where you trick people into thinking that you're going to be leading with Skarmory or Tyranitar, and then surprise the hell out of them with a Rotom-W. Rotom-W isn't really seen as a scarfer, the tanking Rotom-W as well as the Choice Specs variant are somewhat more common (at least from what I've seen), so it usually catches people off and hits what they decide to lead with with a Volt Switch to the face (assuming they don't lead with a Ground- type). If they do end up leading with a pure Ground- type, then that's where Hydro Pump comes in, but I usually don't either see people lead with Ground- types, or start the match off with a Hydro Pump. Hidden Power does the same thing it does for Latios, except much weaker, so does Trick - I love seeing Scarfed Ferrothorns, puts me in a good mood all the time.

The guillotine. Let this thing set up when its counters are out and it's good game right then and there. A very straight-forward set once again, Swords Dance whenever you get a good opportunity and not when the opponent has his Skarmory out, then proceed to sweep with Dragon Claw, Earthquake or Fire Fang. People may ask me "why the hell are you running Dragon Claw over Outrage?!?!?!??!?!", and my answer is "Because one of them lets me switch moves and my sweep doesn't stop because of a random Excadrill deciding to come in". The reason I went with Fire Fang over anything else was to OHKO Ferrothorn - letting that thing Leech Seed and then Protect on me isn't exactly a good thing, but if Sand Veil is activated, Leech Seed will barely hit anyway. Garchomp is exactly the Pokemon worthy of the title "The Game Shark", because you'll end up shouting the word "hax" more than you think because of a miss due to Sand Veil.

There's the team I've been using for the past couple of days, unless the metagame won't change much (which I highly doubt), you shouldn't bother writing an essay for the purpose of a rate.

I'll leave it at here for now, peace guys!

Yup this is an excellent team (thanks for letting me use it!) and the presentation is fantastic. CB Terrakion really hurts, as it can switch in pretty easily on Tyranitar, and from there it 2HKOs everything. While Scizor/Latios can revenge, they can't switch in. What I did was use SD Gliscor in Scizor's spot. He performs a similar role sweeping-wise while being a very reliable counter to Terrakion. By doing this you lose your main Draco Meteor sponge, so try a specially defensive spread on Skarm, who can't exactly switch into Latios with a physical spread.

Gliscor @ Toxic Orb | Impish | Poison Heal | 240 HP / 176 Def / 92 Spe
Swords Dance | Taunt | Earthquake | Ice Fang

Speed investment outruns other Gliscor. 176 Def hits a bonus point and avoids the 2HKO from CB Terra's Stone Edge, rest goes into HP for overall bulk.

The other nitpick I have is to drop HP Fire for Dragon Pulse on Latios. Not even giving yourself a shot to win the most important speed tie in OU is pretty bad, especially when you consider the fact that the mons HP Fire hits (Ferrothorn, Scizor) are setup bait for your other mons. Dragon Pulse is great late-game STAB with Spikes out. That's all I can really suggest, great team bro.

Thanks for the rate Kevin.

I haven't encountered any Banded Terrakion so far, but I'll try out the changes. Dragon Pulse could work a little better than Hidden Power with the reasons you gave, so I'll give that a try too.

i believe dark pulse is better than crunch on a special tyranitar, bro
Even with SpA investment, Tyranitar's attack stat is higher than its SpA. Also, Crunch hits Lati@s on their weaker defensive stat.

Thanks again for giving me this team I had a lot of fun trying it out. Although I didn't get very good results I am almost 100% sure that was down to how much hax hates me ;-;.

I decided to run Sub over Fire fang to fully abuse Garchomp. And although Sand veil hates me you'll probably have a luckier time getting up that sub.

Since sub protects against leech seed already and against standard Ferrothorn a +2 EQ will be doing between 73.3% - 86.36%. Ferrothorn isn't much of a bother for this team anyways, so even if they are running def investment, 2 trick users plus HPfire and FB Ttar deals with Ferrothorn good enough.

I can't think of anything else worth running Fire fang since trying to beat Skarm is out of the question.

Anyways great team Dan. I hope my feedback is even a little useful.

Thanks again for giving me this team I had a lot of fun trying it out. Although I didn't get very good results I am almost 100% sure that was down to how much hax hates me ;-;.

I decided to run Sub over Fire fang to fully abuse Garchomp. And although Sand veil hates me you'll probably have a luckier time getting up that sub.

Since sub protects against leech seed already and against standard Ferrothorn a +2 EQ will be doing between 73.3% - 86.36%. Ferrothorn isn't much of a bother for this team anyways, so even if they are running def investment, 2 trick users plus HPfire and FB Ttar deals with Ferrothorn good enough.

I can't think of anything else worth running Fire fang since trying to beat Skarm is out of the question.

Anyways great team Dan. I hope my feedback is even a little useful.
Thanks for the feedback Jaxx, I just run Fire Fang on Chomp because it could potentially be useful at taking Skarm out if it's at 40% or something for some reason. I don't really like my sweeps to end for a dumb reason, I'm just THAT paranoid about things, lol.

i believe dark pulse is better than crunch on a special tyranitar, bro
Crunch is there mainly for Jellicent, and Dark Pulse won't be doing jack to it.

Even with SpA investment, Tyranitar's attack stat is higher than its SpA. Also, Crunch hits Lati@s on their weaker defensive stat.
^ this

You seem to know what you're doing, good work. I hope for both of us that Chomp doesn't get banned, again.

AB2

is an absolute ape
is a Team Rater Alumnus
Hey this is a nice team, but you seem to be really weak to Latios. Specs Latios 2HKOs everything on this team [including Tyranitar and Scizor] so your only option is really to rely on winning a speed tie with your own Latios, but that is really unreliable. Garchomp does have Haban Berry, but that is not exactly a reliable check either. This is especially problematic since if Latios is paired with Magnazone, then it can trap and KO two of your dragon type resists meaning that you stand not chance against Latios and those types of teams in general. That Tyranitar set is not even close to being bulky enough for taking on Latios. I would try running an EV spread of 252 HP | 48 SpA | 220 SpD | 8 Spe and a Chople Berry over your leftovers. This will allow you to do quite a few things with Tyranitar that you weren't able to do before. You can now still be able to 2HKO Ferrothorn and Skarmory with Fire Blast while switching into Latios' powerful Draco Meteors and Surfs much more easily. With a chople berry, Tyranitar can outrun opposing Tyranitar and KO them. This is why I'd consider running Superpower over Ice Beam so that you have the ability to KO opposing Tyranitar. More importantly, Chople Berry helps you take hits from sweepers such as Gengar and Thundurus, as long as they are unboosted.

Finally, I would consider running Substitute on that Garchomp. Substitute Garchomp combined with entry hazards really will allow you to abuse Garchomp much more easily as Fire Fang isn't hitting anything too important. I'd also swap Haban Berry for Leftovers since Haban Berry won't really do much for you behind a substitute. If you run Substitute over Fire Fang, I would try running Taunt over Brave Bird on Skarmory. Garchomp will need a Swords Dance up in order to 2HKO Ferrothorn so that means that Ferrothorn can spike on more members of this team if Garchomp has no Fire Fang. Taunt will shut down Ferrothorn and allow you to gain momentum much more easily, especially with two choiced pokemon which can easily mess with the pace that your game is going.

Other than that, this team seems really nice. Good Luck.

Hey this is a nice team, but you seem to be really weak to Latios. Specs Latios 2HKOs everything on this team [including Tyranitar and Scizor] so your only option is really to rely on winning a speed tie with your own Latios, but that is really unreliable. Garchomp does have Haban Berry, but that is not exactly a reliable check either. This is especially problematic since if Latios is paired with Magnazone, then it can trap and KO two of your dragon type resists meaning that you stand not chance against Latios and those types of teams in general. That Tyranitar set is not even close to being bulky enough for taking on Latios. I would try running an EV spread of 252 HP | 48 SpA | 220 SpD | 8 Spe and a Chople Berry over your leftovers. This will allow you to do quite a few things with Tyranitar that you weren't able to do before. You can now still be able to 2HKO Ferrothorn and Skarmory with Fire Blast while switching into Latios' powerful Draco Meteors and Surfs much more easily. With a chople berry, Tyranitar can outrun opposing Tyranitar and KO them. This is why I'd consider running Superpower over Ice Beam so that you have the ability to KO opposing Tyranitar. More importantly, Chople Berry helps you take hits from sweepers such as Gengar and Thundurus, as long as long as they are unboosted.

Finally, I would consider running Substitute on that Garchomp. Substitute Garchomp combined with entry hazards really will allow you to abuse Garchomp much more easily as Fire Fang isn't hitting anything too important. I'd also swap Haban Berry for Leftovers since Haban Berry won't really do much for you behind a substitute. If you run Substitute over Fire Fang, I would try running Taunt over Brave Bird on Skarmory. Garchomp will need a Swords Dance up in order to 2HKO Ferrothorn so that means that Ferrothorn can spike on more members of this team if Garchomp has no Fire Fang. Taunt will shut down Ferrothorn and allow you to gain momentum much more easily, especially with two choiced pokemon which can easily mess with the pace that your game is going.

Other than that, this team seems really nice. Good Luck.
Really nice rate, I am definitely going to consider that EV spread on Tyranitar, and it already had Chople Berry to begin with. Since both you and Jaxx suggested the same thing on Chomp, I will consider it, as well as I will consider Taunt over Brave Bird on Skarm.

Thanks.

EDIT: Just noticed that 252 HP | 48 SpA | 220 SpD | 8 Spe passes the EV limit, so how about a different spread of 252 HP l 32 SpA l 220 SpD l 4 Spe?

AB2

is an absolute ape
is a Team Rater Alumnus
Yeah sorry that was a bad typo. I'd run 200 Special Defense EVs in your Tyranitar since it gives you the same results. So the spread would be 252 HP | 48 SpA | 200 SpD | 8 Spe. Sorry for the confusion.

Yup this is an excellent team (thanks for letting me use it!) and the presentation is fantastic. CB Terrakion really hurts, as it can switch in pretty easily on Tyranitar, and from there it 2HKOs everything. While Scizor/Latios can revenge, they can't switch in. What I did was use SD Gliscor in Scizor's spot. He performs a similar role sweeping-wise while being a very reliable counter to Terrakion. By doing this you lose your main Draco Meteor sponge, so try a specially defensive spread on Skarm, who can't exactly switch into Latios with a physical spread.

Gliscor @ Toxic Orb | Impish | Poison Heal | 240 HP / 176 Def / 92 Spe
Swords Dance | Taunt | Earthquake | Ice Fang

Speed investment outruns other Gliscor. 176 Def hits a bonus point and avoids the 2HKO from CB Terra's Stone Edge, rest goes into HP for overall bulk.

The other nitpick I have is to drop HP Fire for Dragon Pulse on Latios. Not even giving yourself a shot to win the most important speed tie in OU is pretty bad, especially when you consider the fact that the mons HP Fire hits (Ferrothorn, Scizor) are setup bait for your other mons. Dragon Pulse is great late-game STAB with Spikes out. That's all I can really suggest, great team bro.
Really tiny recomendation, but run 244HP / 176 Def / 88 Spe, since 244 is a Poison Heal number and will give you 1+ HP per turn :D

Hey Burrito boy, great team there. Thanks for letting me use it. I've peaked high 1200s but unfortunately got haxed back to high 1190's.

There really isn't much left to correct it on since Kevin pretty much already did the job. However, I do have a couple of nitpicks which you probably may not want to change.

I'd remove Chople Berry on Tyranitar and replace it with Leftovers. You lose to Terrakion, one of the most common CC users, unless min damage assuming full health as it does about 90% even with the berry. Conkeldurr's unboosted Drain Punch does about 65%, so unless you're at high health, the berry wont really be saving you. And since T-tar is your Draco Meteor switch in, that extra recovery may be useful to take another or something. Especially since you already have Gliscor to switch in those Fighting attacks, and if its Terrakion you can basically wall it. Gengar's (91%) and Thundurus' (89%) Focus Blast OHKO's as well unless min damage as well.

Sam has agreed with me on that point but I guess its up to you to decide.

I'll suggest sub over Fire Fang as well but it seems everyone and their mom have stated it and you didn't change it so I guess you prefer Fire Fang.

If you do switch to Sub though, ditch Haban Berry and use Yache/Leftys. You lose to Specstios Draco Meteor OHKOs anyway and Mixmence's Draco Meteor almost OHKO's unless min damage (85%). The only thing you can survive is one Outrage from Scarfchomp I guess.

Edit: This may sound weird, but I swapped Superpower for Pursuit on T-tar. Smack those Latios who always tend to switch out when you switch into a Draco Meteor. It works for me at least.

Just a couple of tiny nitpicks I guess. Overall,great team dude.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)