The Highlander Tournament | Round Five

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vinc2612

The V stands for VGC
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus

Introduction:

During All-Star week for Smogon Premier League 4, macle and I had an interesting battle. We decided to do a one on one battle between our team mascots: Scrafty vs. Toxicroak. What started as a joke battle turned into massive theorymon sessions that went on for hours. Dekzeh and the Smog Frogs spent a lot of time working out optimal spreads, and the environment was similar in the Team Raiders channel. The battle ended up being a lot of fun with a surprising amount of depth (http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/ou8892250). It was easily one of the most fun matches either of us had played, so I'm building a tournament around the same concept.

Concept:

The tournament is set up that you pick and post three Pokemon when you sign up for the tournament. You can only pick one of each individual Pokemon, but a different player can have the same Pokemon as you (e.g. you can't have two Alakazam, but someone else can pick Alakazam if you pick it too; also, you can only pick one forme for Pokemon like Rotom). Chosen Pokemon have to be Overused and under; no Ubers are allowed. Each round, every player picks one of their opponent's three Pokemon to battle that round. They PM that choice to me. Once both players have relayed the opposing Pokemon to face in PM, I will declare it in the thread. At that point, both players can start preparing for their match. Picking like this occurs through every round.

Also, it'd be awesome if each player kept their designed sets for when they are eliminated. They shouldn't reveal anything about the nature of the battle, but moreso why they prepared that Pokemon in the manner they did for that specific threat. It's cool for onlookers to see the mental process behind this stuff. If you can reveal it in these threads without giving away any of the opponent's strategy, I'm sure our viewers would love to see the sets utilized.

General Tournament Rules:

• General tournament rules and regulations can be found stickied at the top of this forum.
  • Standard OU - 1 vs. 1
  • Generation V
  • Single Elimination
  • The banlists for this tournament are the same as for the ladders of the Smogon University server of Pokemon Online. You are absolutely not allowed to use any Pokemon in the Uber metagame.
  • Matches may either be conducted on Pokemon Showdown or Pokemon Online.
  • Post three Pokemon in this thread when you sign up for the tournament. They will remain as your only Pokemon throughout the entirety of the tournament.
  • Private Message user Vinc2612 at the beginning of each round which of your opponent's Pokemon you'd like to battle.
  • Do not battle until both you and your opponent have their selection revealed in this thread.
Battle Rules:

• Evasion Clause
  • OHKO Clause
  • Sleep Clause
  • Species Clause
  • Timed Battle
  • 1 vs. 1
  • No moves that evoke the Self KO Clause. Destiny Bond, Explosion, Final Gambit, Perish Song, Selfdestruct, and other such moves are banned.
  • No Johning whatsoever. I expect all matches to be done within the span of a week or less.
  • All matches will be best of one.
All participants must Private Message me which of their opponent's Pokemon they choose to face. Your battle cannot start until I receive PMs from both participants. I will be updating this post with the selected Pokemon when I receive PMs from both battlers.

Round 5 Time Table:

All selections should be made within before the end of the week, but TheFourthChaser and Raseri can still send their pick on Monday.
All battles should be completed before September 28th.
Extended battle have until Saturday 23:59 pm GMT+2 to play.

Round 5 Pairings:

Jorgen vs Frizy
Snorlax Zapdos Suicune | Jirachi Landorus-I Tyranitar

TheFourthChaser vs Fantasy
Mew Jirachi Kyurem-B | Dragonite Mamoswine Conkeldurr

Raseri vs reachzero
Celebi Jirachi Victini | Jirachi Mew Dragonite

sandshrewz vs The DragonKnight
Arcanine Zapdos Metagross | Dragonite Azelf Togekiss

Last edited:
Jorgen vs Frizy
TheFourthChaser vs (Fantasy vs complete legitimacy)
Raseri vs (reachzero vs giara)

Jorgen vs Frizy

Good luck everyone!

Dr Ciel

Banned deucer.
Jorgen vs Frizy

sandshrewz

POTATO
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Arcanine @ Fire Gem
Trait: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 SAtk / 4 SDef
Mild Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Overheat
- ExtremeSpeed
- Wild Charge

Lost in a good gg. He just had to use a set of all that I didn't prepare for xD Too bad no kacaw all the way for this tour xD

Frizy

dont change my ct fuckers
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
won gg http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/ubers-52284973

Landorus (M) @ White Herb
Trait: Sand Force
EVs: 248 Spd / 8 HP / 252 SDef
Timid Nature
- Imprison
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Toxic
- Sandstorm

originally had sub > sandstorm but i was worried about sunny day heat wave plus i already had subtoxic/metal sound covered.

tfc is a noob

Last edited:

Jorgen

World's Strongest Fairy
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
I am lost to frizy, gg.

I shoulda run more SpDef EVs I guess. Or maybe Roost, idk.

My set:

zapdo (Zapdos) @ Shuca Berry
Trait: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 176 SAtk / 40 Def / 40 SDef
Modest Nature
- Extrasensory
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Metal Sound
- Agility

Special Defense to avoid 2HKO by Hidden Power Ice from Modest unboosted Lando, Defense to avoid 2HKO from smack down->EQ with Shuca, Agility to scout him out and extrasensory to get around imprison and maybe flinch if I ended up in a losing situation. HP Ice because if he just goes out guns a-blazing I do need to KO him fast. Didn't count on Mental Herb to mess up Metal Sound, that was a good one.

TheFourthChaser

#TimeForChange
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
Sent in my mon. I'm really posting because I have no fuckin clue how Frizy won that game, how did HP Ice on the last turn not just win?

Edit: Oh lol Imprison, that sucks

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)