The Hose of Unpredictability

“The Hose of Unpredictability”

Hello this is an NU team that I created a while ago inspired by a Featured RMT on The Smog. Because of this, I have three Pokemon with Choice items (two of the same Pokemon as the RMT). At the same time, I was becoming very attached to using Garbodor to set up hazards and to be a bulky special attacker. Yes you heard me right. Even though Garbodor has only Base 60 Special Attack…

That RMT’s link is here: http://www.smogon.com/smog/issue20/featured_rmt_nu

Now for the team!

http://www.smogon.com/download/sprites/bw/525.png[IMG]

Serperior (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Overgrow
EVs: 156 HP/100 Atk/252 Spe
Nature: Jolly
-Taunt
-Leech Seed
-Leaf Blade
-Aqua Tail

Either Serperior, Probopass, or Garbodor typically leads. Serperior has access to SubSeed, but I opted out of that so I could use Taunt, Leech Seed, and two attacks. Taunt blocks a lot of things such as entry hazards and Amoonguss’s Spore. Leaf Blade is for STAB, of course. Aqua Tail is Serperior’s most notable upgrade for B2W2, and it hits Fire-types fairly hard. In addition, Grass and Water have very good neutral coverage; the only singular types that resist this are Grass and Dragon. As a nice plus, Serperior's good defenses and speed allow it to gradually wear down opponents, as opposed to making a single major hit and then dying immediately.

Ludicolo (M) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Swift Swim
EVs: 4 HP/252 SpA/252 Spe
Nature: Timid
-Hydro Pump
-Giga Drain
-Ice Beam
-Hidden Power Ground

Ludicolo is my main special attacker. With Modest, Choice Specs, and STAB, Hydro Pump hits very hard, 2HKOing nearly anything that doesn’t resist it. Giga Drain is the other STAB with a good base power and is Ludicolo’s only form of recovery. Ice Beam and Hidden Power Ground are coverage options, but Hidden Power Rock may be preferable.

Probopass (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP/128 Def/128 SpD
Nature: Calm
-Stealth Rock
-Volt Switch
-Earth Power
-Protect

Possibly the best mixed wall in NU. Stealth Rock and Volt Switch help with momentum and allow Probopass to be a lead. Earth Power and Flash Cannon are my main attacking moves for when I don’t want to switch, and in conjunction with Protect, it can stall out poison timers. Sturdy is for a safety net from OHKOs. .

Zebstrika (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Lightningrod
EVs: 4 HP/252 SpA/252 Spe
-Volt Switch
-Thunderbolt
-Overheat
-Me First

This set is almost identical to the Zebstrika set on the RMT, because reading it really inspired me to try out Zebstrika myself. The key difference is the last move: since I already have two-grass types, I didn’t think that Hidden Power Grass was necessary, so I scanned Zebstrika’s movepool and didn’t see another special attack worth using. My attention then turned to Me First because it is extremely surprising to see, and since Zebstrika is faster than almost anything it encounters with a Choice Scarf, the fact that the move must go first is hardly ever a worry. This is like an offensive Magic Coat in a sense. For example, an opponent’s Scarfed Rampardos KOd one of my other Pokemon with Earthquake, so I brought Zebstrika in, outsped it, and used Me First to make Earthquake 50% stronger and use the move right back against it! Aside from that, Overheat is coverage, while Thunderbolt is a specially-based Electric type’s best STAB on non-rain teams. Volt Switch can do some damage as Zebstrika flees to a Pokemon that can take the next attack, and that makes two Volt Switch users which can drive the opponent nuts.

Emboar (M) @ Choice Band
Ability: Blaze (probably should switch to Reckless; is it released?)
EVs: 128 HP/252 Atk/128 Spe
Nature: Adamant
-Flare Blitz
-Wild Charge
-Hammer Arm
-Head Smash

CB Emboar is the other Pokemon that the RMT used, but of course, this set’s not identical. The idea is still the same, though: KO as many opponents as possible with STAB moves, and use the coverage moves in prediction-tense situations or when the opponent doesn’t expect Wild Charge or Earthquake. Emboar is the Pokemon I use the least because the other five Pokemon nearly make a team on their own, but when I send Emboar out (usually against a Taunted Amoonguss, who is murdered by Flare Blitz), it does a very good job. Should Emboar be replaced with another fire-type?

Garbodor (M) @ Black Sludge
Ability: Stench
EVs: 88 HP/68 Def/100 SpA/252 Spe
-Spikes
-Giga Drain
-Acid Spray
-Focus Blast

The star of the show, the acid-spraying Garbodor! This is the most successful Garbodor set I have ever used by far, and makes it one of my top favorite Pokemon in NU (I’ve used it on multiple teams, and on one I cut out Venoshock to make room for Sunny Day). It’s known for setting up hazards, and it does just that. Spikes makes it more dangerous to switch, and when combined with Acid Spray, makes the opponent decide whether to have a lowered special defense or to switch and take hazard damage. The main move is Acid Spray, because it lowers Special Defense by 2 stages, making a lot of the moves on my team much stronger. Nearly anything besides ghost-types that gets to -6 SpD will be destroyed by Focus Blast (assuming it hits of course). Focus Blast also does major damage to Steel-types, such as Bastiodon.

The last move is Giga Drain; it covers Garbodor's main weakness, Ground-types, and provides recovery, which is even more prominent when the opponent was previously hit with at least one Acid Spray.

The EVs are fairly complicated: 252 Speed and Timid so it can set up Spikes as quickly as possible. The HP and Defense EVs are to help it tank physical hits: it's not sufficient to call Garbodor a "wall," but it takes unboosted non-SE physical moves better than you'd think. I put the rest in SpA to power up Focus Blast and Giga Drain.

In case you were wondering, the name came from my opinion that Garbodor’s right arm looks like a hose. The team as a whole doesn't have very many counters but bulky Dragons can be dangerous and frustrating to confront. Hopefully you enjoyed the team!

WhiteDMist

Path>Goal
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Well, I have to hand it to you: you definitely have a very creative and unpredictable team. That surprise factor is definitely nice, but I don't know how effective it is anymore if you have made this RMT. As for the RMT itself, it could use pictures to actually draw interest and make it easier to read (thanks to the pictures making helpful breaks between the walls of text). We all would also appreciate it if you give us your reasonings for the EV spreads and some of the claims you've made. For instance, you claim that Probopass is the "best mixed wall in the tier"; a bold claim to make indeed. However, I am of the opinion that it isn't really walling material without recovery and since it has weaknesses to the most common attacking types of the tier.

Your EV spreads don't seem very efficient, but I'll wait until you provide your reasoning on it before I make any suggestions. However, some of the sets seem to be lacking regardless.

Emboar shouldn't be using Hammer Arm when Superpower is available. Hammer Arm may be easier to spam, but it invites faster Pokemon in to KO or severely damage it. If you are arguing that you can just switch out afterwards, then Superpower would be just as effective, if not more.

It is a shame that you are Choicing Ludicolo, when its main draw is its amazing coverage. Life Orb would be more effective in my opinion, though that isn't a pressing matter. The most pressing matter is that you aren't really using Serperior effectively. You seem to want it to be both an offensive and defensive threat, which it can't do. Either stick with SubSeed, or go with the Coil set if you really want to use Serperior, since otherwise Leech Seed has NO purpose except to make you walled by Grass-types. Plus you don't abuse the benefits of Leech Seed with your moveset anyways.

For now, I'll leave the rest of the team alone and let others weigh in first. But I will also point out that Banded Emboar, Sawk, Golurk, LO Cinccino, and Swellow literally demolish your team. Zebstrika can probably revenge kill a few of them, but only at low HP (or in the case of Swellow, as long as your out of Quick Attack's KO range).

Add some pictures, and expand on a couple of your descriptions and then I'll fully rate your team. :)

watashi

is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Three-Time Past SPL Champion
World Defender
Powerful Fighting-types such as Choice Band Sawk and Emboar will give you trouble since your only resistance to the type—Garbador—is lacking investment which makes it easy to wear down. Calm Mind Musharna would be a great addition to this team since it gives you a reliable switch-in to Close Combats and Superpowers while matching the slow paced nature of this team. It can also support the team with Heal Bell and constantly threatens the opponent with its sweeping prowess if they do not have a Dark-type. Replacing Serperior with it would be the best option since you already have a capable Grass-type in Ludicolo.

Speaking of Ludicolo, I would suggest running a Life Orb set with a Timid nature and Synthesis over Hidden Power Ground. Life Orb allows Ludicolo to abuse its fantastic coverage while Synthesis helps it last longer throughout the match. A Timid nature turns Ludicolo into a fantastic check to most Swords Dance Samurott, which can sweep through your team if Zebstrika is weakened.

Superpower is superior to Hammer Arm on Emboar due to it's higher power. I doubt you will be spamming either of them so Superpower is usually the better choice to as a hit-and-run move. On another note, Emboar should run 128 Speed EV's and Head Smash over Earthquake. This allows it to outpace and destroy one of its best counters—Defensive Altaria. Earthquake does not hit anything notable except for Poison-types, which are already hurt severely by Flare Blitz.

Summary of changes:

Serperior —> Calm Mind Musharna
Synthesis over Hidden Power Ground and Life Orb over Choice Specs on Ludicolo
Modest —> Timid nature on Ludicolo
Hammer Arm —> Superpower on Emboar
128 Speed EV's on Emboar

Musharna @ Leftovers
Trait: Synchronize
EVs: 240 HP / 252 Def / 16 SDef
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Moonlight
- Psychic
- Heal Bell

Ludicolo @ Life Orb
Trait: Swift Swim
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 SDef
Timid Nature
- Giga Drain
- Ice Beam
- Scald
- Synthesis

Emboar @ Choice Band
Trait: Blaze
EVs: 252 Atk / 128 HP / 128 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Head Smash
- Superpower
- Wild Charge

Good luck with the team!

MMF

Give me the strength to part this sea
Hey there! You have a pretty cool team and FLCL covered a lot of the things I would change but I have a few small suggestions so this should be quick!

First off I would try a more offensive Probo with an EV spread of 252 HP / 252 Spatk / 4 Spe with a Modest Nature and a moveset of Stealth Rock / Flash Cannon / Earth Power / Volt Switch. This lets Probo retain its great bulk while also packing quite a punch which can really help your team out a bit.

Secondly use Modest over Timid on Zebstrika. With Modest it already outspeeds pretty much everything on rain teams and nearly the entire meta. It also lets him hit harder which is great as Zeb is kinda weak. Also try out HP Grass over Me First as RD Seismitoad can really put the hurt down on your team if Ludicolo goes down.

Lastly on Garbodor I really recommend taking off Toxic Spikes mainly because Amoonguss and Zangoose are so popular. Amoonguss just soaks them up and makes that turn wasted and Zangoose takes advantage of the poison by activating his Toxic Boost and then proceeding to sweep nearly all of your team. Try out Spikes over Toxic Spikes. Its much more punishing to the opposing team and harder to get rid of since most teams aren't running spinners. Then try Giga Drain over Venoshock as that becomes almost useless and Giga Drain gives you a cool healing move and hits Golurk for good damage.

Thats all I got! Good luck with your team!

Sets:
Garbodor (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Aftermath
EVs: 88 HP / 70 Def / 100 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Spikes
- Acid Spray
- Giga Drain
- Focus Blast

Probopass (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SAtk / 6 Spd
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Stealth Rock
- Flash Cannon
- Earth Power
- Volt Switch

Zebstrika (M) @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Lightningrod
EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Overheat
- Hidden Power [Grass]

Thank you very much for the ratings!

First of all, I have trouble putting the Smogon sprites in my posts; that's why they are not present. Can somebody explain how to get the animated sprites into my posts?

Second of all, on Ludicolo should Scald be substituted out in favor of Surf or Hydro Pump?

Lastly, is it viable to move some HP EVs on Emboar to Special Defense so it can tank Special moves a little easier?

watashi

is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Three-Time Past SPL Champion
World Defender
First of all, I have trouble putting the Smogon sprites in my posts; that's why they are not present. Can somebody explain how to get the animated sprites into my posts?
Find the picture you want, right click on it and select ""Copy image URL". Go to your post and click the "Insert Image" button and paste the URL in.

Second of all, on Ludicolo should Scald be substituted out in favor of Surf or Hydro Pump?
Hydro Pump is usually the preferred move for Offensive Ludicolo, although the accuracy might let you down sometimes. I should've mentioned this in my post before; Ludicolo needs all the power it can get.

Lastly, is it viable to move some HP EVs on Emboar to Special Defense so it can tank Special moves a little easier?
It might seem like a good idea to do that since Emboar has high HP and low defenses, but in reality it needs all the HP it can get to help tank recoil from Flare Blitz, Head Smash, and Wild Charge.

Thank you!

I think what I amy going to do is follows:

1. Leave Emboar's EVs at 128 HP/252 Atk/128 Spe
2. Test Surf and Hydro Pump over Scald on Ludicolo, then decide which I like better.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)