XY NU The Jailer

marilli

With you
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Former Other Tournament Circuit Champion
The Jailer

Well XY NU is about to end, and I somewhat came back playing mons I suppose. With ORAS just around the corner, I just wanted to show you guys the team I've been playing. I was originally intending to make a short post on sample teams because the team isn't quite good enough to bother making an RMT for, but SG told me he's gonna delete everything in a week or two so I forced myself to do a bit more work.

This is really more of a boring standard stall team with a lot of weaknesses, namely to Fighting-type spam and NP Ninetales, NP Liepard, SD Low Kick Sneasel, SD Panda and such. This iteration isn't exactly perfect, and I lose to a lot of stuff from team matchup alone. I couldn't have made a bragposty RMT because I choked pretty hard and only got to semis on NULT, but even without that this team is weak to so many things and just relies on getting surprise toxics with stuff so I'm genuinely looking for some help here ;_; Even with these weaknesses, the team itself somehow managed to perform magnificently and I lost because I choked elsewhere with my other teams ;_; Shoutouts to my friend for suggesting rmt name tho i don't even know if he even browses smogon anymore LOL

The team:

Audino @ Leftovers
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Wish
- Protect
- Knock Off
- Heal Bell

Very standard Audino set, but I guess I have to explain it anyhow. Audino keeps itself healthy with Regenerator and Heal Bell, and it keeps the team healthy with Wish. Protect lets it get its own Wish if need be and lets me scout Choiced Sawks and stuff. I've honestly been considering just simply dropping Protect for Toxic or Encore or something, because that special setup sweeper weakness is rather disgusting. But then I'd be weak to bunch of other stuff so I'm keeping Protect for now. I have Knock Off as a way to hit everything, including Ghost-types like NP Missy, which i'd be again weak to if not for Audino, so jeesus christ I have a lot of weaknesses. If those NP sweepers try to get frisky and switch in, though, I have phazing moves on 2 of my mons, and toxic on other 2, so hopefully I catch them off guard with that. If they get Toxiced, I can just stall them out with Audino. I've been thinking of replacing her with Lickilicky. Licki's weakness to Spike Stack gets worked around by Xatu, and oblivious is great if you know they're bringing taunty stallbreakers. Also Licky has phazing move so he's much less of a setup bait than Audino, which is also great.

Steelix @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 96 Def / 160 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Roar
- Earthquake
- Gyro Ball
- Stealth Rock

Steelix is my physical go-to Pokemon. I have SR up with it, I phaze things. I initially put him because all stall needs answer to SubCM Uxie. Honestly, though, even with a better, surefire way to stop all CMing Psychic-types, Steelix remains a top choice for its ability to resist Normal and Flying-type moves. I'm not even sure how to replace him because I struggle to find a better Normal-type resist. I honestly couldn't care if I have Rhydon here instead, but Rhydon would just add to my already glaring Knock Off weakness, and Solrock is similarly a no-go. Steeilx has Roar if people try to be funny and set up on it, and add hazard damage. Earthquake and Gyro ball does tons of damage for such a bulky mon, and allows me to do damage to stuff like Kangaskhan and kill it 1v1 if I have to. I cannot replace either offensive move as Steelix is my answer to Kliklang, and Gyro ball needs to be there to beat levitators and stop them from switching in for free.

Ferroseed @ Eviolite
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Spikes
- Leech Seed
- Gyro Ball
- Toxic

Then Ferroseed is my Spiker. I have Toxic to catch Fire-type switches and stuff that think they switch in for relatively free, which is somewhat of a surprise to a lot of players. Spikes is necessary to rack up damage, Leech Seed gives me back some health so I'm not useless without Wish support, and Gyro Ball does damage to stuff if I have to. It's my best answer to Kabutops, Feraligatr, and such. If Feraligatr carries Superpower, I live because i'm physically defensive, and Dragalge can then phaze it out. Oh yeah and with Ferroseed and Audino combined, rain is a complete non-issue for me, which is amazing. Toxic also allows me to actually do something back to Ludicolo, instead of doing no damage and getting ice beamed like 3 times and dying. I'm obviously considering a specially defensive spread to better handle special attackers, but with physically defensive spread I can potentially try to Toxic SD Rhydon before it rips through my team, so there ya go.

Dragalge @ Leftovers
Ability: Poison Point
EVs: 248 HP / 192 Def / 68 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Toxic Spikes
- Dragon Tail
- Sludge Bomb
- Rest

With my team unbelievably weak to just about everything and their mother, I needed Toxic Spikes to try and wear down the enemy team proactively. Dirty Vileplume pickers are still around, but thank god people think Vileplume sucks and more and more people are just leaving their whole team weak to Tspikes, which is perfectly fine by me. Dragalge also acts as my main switch-in to Rotom. Dragalge not only stuffs Rotom completely, it can take Trick. One of the best parts about Dragalge taking the Trick is that it's also a very viable switch-in against Fighting-types, and they will commonly use Knock Off against Dragalge, freeing me of my move restriction. Dragalge can also take attacks from common Fire-types and phaze them out once,so that's something. I really rely on using Toxic Spikes and preserving it with my CM Psychic-type and getting other important stuff Poisoned. If the enemy cannot remove Toxic Spikes in any way, I often lead with Dragalge to get it up ASAP, as it nearly guarantees my win.

Xatu @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe
Bold Nature
- Roost
- Night Shade
- Feather Dance
- Toxic

Xatu is my way to mindlessly beat Spike stack. It also has Featherdance, which is funny because Xatu tends to lure out SD Rhydon and stuff and they get it Toxiced on the switch, then I just Feather Dance their Swords Dances which is incredibly troll. It also forces switches and I get to basically beat most spikers I know 1v1, and most SR users 1v1 as well! Roost is there to keep me healthy, and Night Shade does consistent damage. Rocky Helmet sounds iffy but because I switch this thing to Hariyama really often and I get my item knocked off anyways, either Rocky Helmet or Colbur berry should be the better choice over leftovers. If Xatu works perfectly then I basically win because I'll have no hazards on my side and there'll be hazards on his side. I usually play Xatu really up-in-their-face and try to deny all hazards, until they realize they're not getting rocks up in which frees me up as I don't have to keep bringing Xatu into Seismitoad and stuff like a dumbo. But I'll keep doing it until I convince them that I'll keep doing it as if I don't have a brain. But this is honestly a dumb way to deal with stuff and I've been thinking of using Pelipper or something.

Uxie @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 188 HP / 60 Def / 36 SpA / 224 Spe
Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Substitute
- Psyshock
- Imprison

Every stall team needs a win condition. Additionally, all stall needs a way to stop Calm Mind Xatu, SubCM Uxie, and last mon CM Musharna. This is my way of going about doing so. You might say I'm crazy. And you're probably right. I initially had Musharna here trying to win CM wars through my sheer bulk. But then I realized if I'm going to brute force CM Psychics vs CM Psychics like that, why can't I try a more elegant solution? Because having to rely on Musharna vs Musharna is not exactly great, and this kind of locked me into Steelix + Ferroseed trying to let my Musharna beat their Musharna better in a much more awkward fashion. This not only stops opposing Calm Mind wars, I get a free ticket to winning a game because no one expects the imprison. This thing loses to Dark-types, but the most common Physical Liepard is stuffed by Steelix the entire game. Sometimes I can just bluff I have a coverage move and then Liepard are too scared by a Tbolt on the switch or something, which I don't even have. It you do not wish to be hard walled by Liepard and stuff, I suggest Signal Beam over Substitute. Yes, Substitute allows Uxie to be much more reliable at its job, but no one good will try to status Uxie when they see the Calm Mind. This relatively new addition to the team actually frees up a lot of stuff on my team and allows me to replace stuff like Steelix AND Ferroseed, which in turn allows me to tweak other team members, like going Peliper > Xatu or something like that. Going Uxie over Musharna also allows me to beat my other weaknesses better like CB Sawk because I can hope to countersweep through stuff like Sawk better with my superior speed.

No shoutouts because the team is bad and I only just wanted to post it in Sample Teams ;_;

Last edited:

Ares

Fool me...can't get fooled again
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Hey Amarillo absolutely beautiful Uxie set :D, you got a like from me just for this http://spo.ink/imprison .

On to the team, as you've noted you have a pretty big Fighting-type weakness; however, I think you can very easily deal with it due to the fact that you try to get up T-Spikes first turn (the problem is when they have an opposing Poison-type). There isn't a big oh change this for that amazing solution to fix that weakness without opening up any bigger holes and pretty much just requires you to play well around them. The one solution I can see that might possibly close the hole of this Fighting-type weakness is to have Granbull > Steelix the nice thing is that you already have Ferroseed to resist normal type attacks and to some extent Flying type attacks. The two most prevelant Flying-types are Swellow and Archeops, their Flying-type moves do around 40% to Granbull. You could then proceed to force them out and keep Granbull healthy with Audino's wishes which Granbull pairs nicely with. With Granbull being able to run Heal Bell my next suggestion helps patch up your set up sweeper issue which is Encore > Heal Bell on Audino. This is actually a really cool way to stop set up sweepers such as Ninetales and Liepard cold in their tracks and being able to get switch initiative, with Granbull being able to carry Heal Bell it opens up the slot for Audino to be able to use this nice utility move. Lastly I'm going to suggest Stealth Rock > Spikes on Ferroseed due to the fact that I have replaced your Stealth Rock Pokemon, not having Spikes means you don't get teams worn down as quickly but the above suggestion patches up your Fighting-type weakness. I'm not overly sold on Granbull but I believe that it is the best way to solve your weakness without opening up to many holes and changing your team structure.

Granbull @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 232 Def / 24 Spe
Impish Nature
- Play Rough
- Earthquake
- Roar
- Heal Bell

Awesome team love the innovation, hope my suggestions helped and if you decide not to go with Granbull I would still run Encore on Audino :)

Edit: as Amarillo quickly noticed removing Steelix ended up making this team weak to Klinklang, so he is testing the team by switching out Xatu for Pelipper. (It might be to hard to fix the Fighting-weakness without leaving the team open to other threats).

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)