ORAS OU The Jaws of Life Hold the Keys to Success (Mega Sharpedo HO #2 Peak)

INTRODUCTION
- Hello all! Welcome to my 3rd RMT for my 200th post on the forums! =]
- For those of you who know me and/or watch my channel, you are most likely aware of the fact that I get most of my satisfaction in competitive mons from using underrated/unique Pokemon and sets to achieve a relatively high level of success.
- You are probably also aware of the fact that I am obsessed with offense and do not enjoy playing with or against fat teams.
- That is why I am going to present y'all with this RMT! It is designed to show that you can still succeed despite using mons and sets that most high level players deem as unviable, and more importantly, it is to encourage having fun with Pokemon and not taking it too seriously. =]
- I've gone around 25-1 with this team from the 1600s, and the four best ways to describe it are: fast paced, fun, hilarious, and effective!
- Hope y'all enjoy! =]

THE SQUAD

KLEFKI

Klefki @ Focus Sash/Pixie Plate
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 28 HP / 252 SpA / 228 Spe
Modest/Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Dazzling Gleam
- Flash Cannon
- Spikes
- Thunder Wave

DJ Khaled's favorite Pokemon, Klefki. Now when you look at the spread, you may be thinking "Matty has lost his mind." You'd be right, actually. I've lost my mind a long time ago. ANYWAY, this set is actually very interesting and can be used pretty effectively as it makes a solid dedicated spike staking lead that beats both common Magic Bouncers in Mega Sableye and Mega Diancie. Spikes are extremely useful to the powerful breakers and cleaners on the team, and Klefki sets them up with ease and paralyzes defoggers not named Zapdos. Modest is definitely the preferred nature as it makes Dazzling Gleam nearly a guaranteed 2hko on standard Mega Sab. Timid does provide the luxury of out speeding tank Chomp as well as Max base 70's namely Breloom and Bisharp which are all 2hkoed by Dazzling Gleam. Sash is also the preferred item because Klefki is actually insanely frail without investment. Pixie Plate is only for if you want to run timid and not have to risk rolls against Mega Sableye. Klefki also does solid damage to Rotom-W with Dazzling Gleam (around 35%) which other team members appreciate. *IMPORTANT* - Although this Klefki set is designed to be a dedicated lead most for the most part, if you see a Charizard, do not let this thing die. DD Zard X is one of if not the only mon that can straight up 6-0 this team at +1 and it finds a few set up opportunities as well. Preserve Klefki so that you don't get 6-0d by Zard X.

MEGA SHARPEDO

Sharpedo-Mega @ Sharpedonite
Ability: Speed Boost
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Protect
- Waterfall
- Crunch
- Aqua Jet

The star of the team, Mega Sharpedo. I've been toying around with this thing lately, and I believe it's pretty underrated. Unboosted Crunch hits harder than + 1 Mega Gyarados' Crunch, and you can just click protect without having to set up a DD. The lack of Stealth Rocks Weakness is also nice as it makes up for Sharpedo's poor bulk. It has a decent defensive typing, though, and can take a weak neutral hit or even a strong resisted hit or two before going down. Dual physical STABS work for this team instead of something like Hydro Pump, and Aqua Jet is very useful in the last slot for mons the team is weak to such as Sand Rush Excadrill and Talonflame which dies after Rocks. Mega Sharpedo acts as both a cleaner and a breaker depending on what I need it to do, and with SD Baton Pass support, it becomes a force to be reckoned with.
CELEBI
Celebi @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 248 HP / 88 Def / 172 Spe
Impish Nature
- Swords Dance
- Seed Bomb
- Baton Pass
- Recover

Remember when I mentioned SD Baton Pass support when talking about Sharpedo? Well, here it is. SD Celebi pairs quite well with Mega Sharpedo as it lures in mons like Heatran, Tornadus-T (non Life Orb), bulky Talonflame, Skarmory (without Whirlwind), and probably more that I can't recall at the moment. These are all mons that a healthy Celebi can take a hit from and Baton Pass a +2 Attack boost to Mega Sharpedo, or another physical attacker on the team barring maybe Tran which Celebi is EVd to speed creep and Sharpedo can actually take a hit from it. The rest of the EVs were dumped into physical bulk because a reliable Keldeo switch in is necessary on pretty much all teams, and it can also take on one of the biggest threats to the team in Sand Rush Excadrill pretty well. It also provides a nice spore immunity and can act as a useful status absorber, switching into the likes of scalds and Rotom-W's Will-o-Wisps and Baton Passing or switching out to remove the burn. Celebi is the only bulky pivot on the team that sort of puts this team on the brink of bulky offense and hyper offense.

KELDEO-RESOLUTE

Keldeo-Resolute @ Choice Specs
Ability: Justified
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 30 HP / 0 Atk / 30 Def / 30 SpA / 30 SpD
- Hydro Pump
- Hidden Power [Flying]
- Secret Sword
- Scald

As you can see, the team is really weak to Bisharp, Heatran, and even Weavile so far. Although Klefki can 2hko Bisharp, it can't take a LO Iron Head + Sucker Punch, and it does not like switching into Weavile either. Sharpedo is by no means a reliable switch into Tran, but with a +2 Celebi, it's more times than not, worth the risk. Moving on, Keldeo switches in and severely threatens all of the aforementioned threats. It also provides more insurance for Mega Sableye as it has the power in Choice Specs and the broken move in Scald to force it out or just straight up knock it out. Hidden Power Flying is really nice for Mega Venusaur and Amoonguss. Mostly Venusaur though, as specs HP Flying really wares it down and it does not have Black Sludge and Regenerator passively healing it. Keldeo is a really solid Pokemon in general, and it's ability to pressure and break down some physical walls that Sharpedo struggles with, as well as burn a lot of its checks with scald make it a great fit for the team.

EXCADRILL

Excadrill @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Rapid Spin
- Iron Head
- Earthquake

Yes, that is a Choice Scarf Stealth Rocking Excadrill... NOW BEFORE YOU CLICK X, LET ME EXPLAIN. I rarely build teams without a ground type. A switch in to fast and powerful electrics such as Mega Manectric and Raikou is really important, in my opinion. These team is also pretty weak to Clef as the only way to semi-reliably beat it is with SD Celebi. Also, hazard removal is always nice, especially when using a mon that's weak to Stealth Rocks.... Soooooo.... I decided to go with Scarf Rocks Drill. It's basically so bad that it's good. Rock Slide isn't too useful on Scarf Drill unless you're facing bird spam, and Mold Breaker + Stealth Rock means you set up Rocks on almost everything as Magic Bouncers, namely M-Sableye, can't bounce them back. With Mold Breaker EQs + Stab Iron Head, Excadrill has nearly all of the coverage it needs, and scarf spins and be really useful depending on the match up. You can use Rock Slide over Rapid Spin because Rocks are mandatory, but I wouldn't recommend changing anything. Another amazing thing about this set when you force something out and set up rocks, people NEVER expect Excadrill to be scarfed, and it even makes them think that Keldeo is scarfed, or that Thundurus has T-Wave due to the seeming lack of speed control. If you still don't believe in the set, just watch some of the replays below. ^__^
THUNDURUS-INCARNATE
Thundurus @ Life Orb
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Grass Knot
- Hidden Power [Flying]
- Knock Off

And finally, I don't like to build hazard stacking offense without a Defiant offensive powerhouse. This Thundurus set has become one of my absolute favorite Pokemon to use. It puts amazing pressure on stall teams as its coverage one or 2hkos everything commonly seen on stall except for Chansey which gets severely punished by Knock Off. Hidden Power Flying smacks Mega Venusaur, Amoonguss, other grass types, Heracross, and it also provides generally good coverage as Flying is an incredible attacking type. It can easily switch into the likes of Skarmory, Mandibuzz, and even Zapdos looking to Defog, and force them all out or hit them extremely hard with STAB Life Orb Thunderbolt. Knock Off punishes Chansey, Lati@s, Tangrowth, etc, and has great utility in general as removing items is always useful. Thundurus is great against offense as well, and it serves as the premiere revenge killer to threats named Mega Pinsir, Mega Charizard Y, Manaphy, and Mega Heracross. It also serves as a decent check to Talonflame. With its unique speed tier, God like move pool, and awesome attacking stats, Thundurus is an essential player for this team that will not disappoint if used well.

THREAT LIST:

^^^ - That is what Mega Charizard X does to this team if you don't play around it carefully. If you face a team with a Charizard, even though it may be Zard Y, preserve Klefki to potentially Paralyze it.
- There are obviously some other major threats, but I really haven't encountered many severe issues in the 25-30 games I've played with this team.

CONCLUSION
So there ya have it! I basically peaked the ladder with Modest Sash Klefki, Scarf Rocks Drill, SD BP Celebi, and Mega Sharpedo. I know this team isn't great, but it works. It's creative, unorthodox, and most importantly, it's fun. Remember friends, you can be creative and successful in team building while still having fun! Thank you for checking out my RMT; I hope you enjoy the team =]

PROOF OF PEAK
top 2 peak.jpg

(Didn't really bother trying to hit #1 because it's finals week at school for me.)
YOUTUBE VIDEO

REPLAYS

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-370382043 vs. my buddy Contorted Lies
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-370481355
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-371302161 vs. my buddy Sabella
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-370333662
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-370478537

IMPORTABLE
Celebi @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 248 HP / 88 Def / 172 Spe
Impish Nature
- Swords Dance
- Seed Bomb
- Baton Pass
- Recover

Sharpedo-Mega @ Sharpedonite
Ability: Speed Boost
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Protect
- Waterfall
- Crunch
- Aqua Jet

Klefki @ Focus Sash
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 28 HP / 252 SpA / 228 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Dazzling Gleam
- Flash Cannon
- Spikes
- Thunder Wave

Keldeo-Resolute @ Choice Specs
Ability: Justified
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 30 HP / 0 Atk / 30 Def / 30 SpA / 30 SpD
- Hydro Pump
- Hidden Power [Flying]
- Secret Sword
- Scald

Excadrill @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Rapid Spin
- Iron Head
- Earthquake

Thundurus @ Life Orb
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Grass Knot
- Hidden Power [Flying]
- Knock Off

Once again, thank you for viewing my RMT, and I hope you enjoy the team! =]

Last edited:

njnp

We don't play this game to lose.
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
Heatah Fajita? They need to add matty brollic to these calls bringing that competitive fire :]

Grats Mate on peak!

If u wanna mess around try specs klefi with switcheroo for more heat :] Screw over the clefables.. lock thundurus in t bolt...make lando t switch ins locked into either eq or u turn <3

More Uploads :]

Very nice, I like the use of Swords Dance Celebi. I tried it on a team with a few possible receivers (Talonflame/Mega Sciz/Terrakion) so I would have many options to Baton Pass into depending on what move I expect to take, but Mega Sharpedo covers a decent amount by itself. It takes Knock Off especially well which is a move Celebi lures so that's great. It also lures U-Turn which Excadrill can take comfortably (the switch-in might prove problematic, not much can stomach +1 Speed +2 Attack Mold Breaker Excadrill though) so that's nice as well.

I like the idea of Scarf rocks though, having used that set myself a lot recently being locked into Rock Slide is a huge bummer unless you want to sacrifice Excadrill at that point. The mere threat of Rock Slide should be enough most of the time once they clock that you're scarfed.

That Klefki set is interesting but I'm not sold on it. It seems completely focused as a Mega Sableye lure while being inferior at everything else. Pixie Plate > Focus Sash is just so insanely specialized I'd feel so uncomfortable doing that with no bulk. I don't have calcs but surely steel STAB should K.O Mega Diancie without investment anyway so that's no problem. Was the speed ever that important either? You can always get value with a priority layer of spikes or T-Wave instead of the 'outspeed and attack for the 2HKO' so unless you really need that poke dead I'd prefer bulk. Though I guess the surprise value buys you extra turns, IDK. Seems dicey.

Thanks for the rate dude =]
- The Klefki set seems really odd, I know. However, with max speed and a modest nature it 2hkos standard mega sableye (even without pixie plate) and speed creeps mons that threaten the team greatly like rotom and bisharp allowing Klefki to effectively weaken them as it 2hkos bisharp and does around 35 to Rotom allowing Sharpedo to take it out much more easily. Because it is the dedicated lead a lot of the time, there isn't much if a need for bulk as it can easily get up one or more layers of spikes and doesn't really need to switch into anything. It's not the best Klefki set, but I've found that it fits this team nicely!

Yeah that's fair, you've obviously given it more thought and testing than me so I believe you when you say it works. Using it without Focus Sash is very cheeky though IDK if I'd have the nerve for that!

I almost made a comment about Thundurus as well since it's not really the best option purely for dissuading Defog (Defiant only boosts uninvested Knock Off) but it compresses a lot of other roles into one slot so I can see why it's so valuable. You mentioned Chansey a lot in the Thundurus paragraph but it's really no threat to this team, everyone beats it 1v1 except Klefki and Thundurus itself ironically. It's still great for this team though because of its typing, and it checks a lot of stuff that would otherwise threaten your team as much as Charizard X does. Serperior and Charizard Y in particular.

Yeah that's fair, you've obviously given it more thought and testing than me so I believe you when you say it works. Using it without Focus Sash is very cheeky though IDK if I'd have the nerve for that!

I almost made a comment about Thundurus as well since it's not really the best option purely for dissuading Defog (Defiant only boosts uninvested Knock Off) but it compresses a lot of other roles into one slot so I can see why it's so valuable. You mentioned Chansey a lot in the Thundurus paragraph but it's really no threat to this team, everyone beats it 1v1 except Klefki and Thundurus itself ironically. It's still great for this team though because of its typing, and it checks a lot of stuff that would otherwise threaten your team as much as Charizard X does. Serperior and Charizard Y in particular.
Yea, I wouldn't recommend going Pixie Plate over Sash on Keys. Plate is only for those who want to go Timid. Also Thundurus can run moves like wild charge and superpower viably so opponents who don't know the set need to be careful. And most of my team can handle Chansey but luring it in to knock off its leftovers is huge. Basically, that thundurus set punishes everything commonly used on stall

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)