The Ladder System

Ugh, the Ladder seems a bit too shaky for me to Climb

Hi, its Youngmoney. I am pretty new the community, just joined a few days ago. But I have been lurking alot. I am on shoddy a lot when I need to test some teams, but I have never laddered for the sake of winning. Just pure testing. After thinking about it I decided that I might want to get on the competitive side of the Ladder and try to get a really high Cre. So I went straight to the lastest issue of "The Smog" and hit open the "Mastering the OU Ladder" report. After reading I realized that Offensive Teams should be used to get to the the bottom of the ladder, then stall your way to the top.

But then one question came to my mind instantly. Is stall the only way to get up there with the big dogs? I know 1650 is alot but is it humanly possible to reach that cre with using only offensive teams? Then Another question then came to my mind. If it is possible to get to the top (Or well at least close eg top 10) with offensive based teams, will this mean you can ladder with one team only and still make the cut? I was just wondering if there is some team changing tactic that mods use when on a laddering session, Like switching teams every 50 battles, or Switching teams when you reach a certain cre. The reason I wanted to know this is that I dont want to ladder and then reach a point where it is like "Good luck and may the best staller win", or "Ok I am confident that my team has more PP than yours, GG".

After reading the section about "Stall vs Offense", I then went on into the "Shooting for the stars vs Point Hustling". It introduced the 2 diffrent approaches mods use to climb.

-Players like august and Twist of Fate are more notable for playing an excessive amount of battles in a short time frame while maintaining an exceptionally high win ratio. While players like Kevin Garrett and panamaxis milk an already solid alt to assure an optimal rating so that they can later ladder to a very high CRE.

It would be nice if someone explained these two methods a bit more to me because I am not too sure I get them. How does battling plenty in short periods of time effect your cre? And as for Kevin and Panamaxis (My Favorite), milking? lol Yeah I don't completely understand how that works either. I know all the information is there but most of the the things that were written lost me.

If you have 200 deviation, a single loss will do great harm to your CRE. On the contrary, a deviation of only 30 means you are not going to see your CRE change all that much. <<<Had no idea whats going on here?

I also have one more question about the ladder system. I asked someone about a good stratigy on getting a high cre, He told me to have a perfect win ratio untill you have reached 1500. Then stall.

You are kidding me... I have been idling in the 1300s for weeks now how the heck can I get a perfect win ratio until 1500. But of coarse I tried this method. I made an alt and and no losses until one which was about 1321. So I said np ill just make another alt and try again. But after making TONS of alts and attempting to win all my battles, it just felt like I was doing the battle tower. Lose and you're out :)
I got really fustruated at this point because I had no clue on how the CRE system works. Thats why I am making this thread, hopefully some of my fellow smogoners (Yes I said Smogoners) will help me out by explaining the system a bit more clearly to me.

Do I need to win Consecutive battles to climb high, or it just the win/loss ratio. Say player A has a ratio of 143 wins and 57 losses on the ladder. And Player B and a ratio of 98 wins and no Losses. Who would have the higher cred. Is it suggested to quit your nick and make an alt once you have lost too many? How does the method of "Milking" work exactly? Is my only option to stall? How long should it take, or how many battles should it take to get to 1500 on average?

I would appreciate it if one/some of you who are or have been on the ladder (Or at least have made it to 1500) to clear some of these things up for me. Thank you!

Alright. To answer the first part of your post about Stall vs. Offense.

Stall isn't necessarily the best type of team at the heights of the ladder. The difference is that it is MUCH more viable there than at bottom of the ladder. The reason being that in the lower parts of the ladder, you are much more likely to run into random offensive threats that tear apart your stall team. I have a good example.

KD24 and I made a team a while back that was fairly defensive. As a joke, I played against him with it while he was using his UU team. It just so happened that his Houndoom raped my team.

When you get higher on the ladder, these random threats disappear, and it becomes much easier to cover the pokemon you will likely encounter. That also shows why offense is the best method at the lower parts of the ladder. A high end offensive pokemon will quite easily take out random pokemon that are found in the lower parts of the ladder.

As for the 2nd part of your post asking about how the ladder works, the best thing I can do is link you to the site explaining it. http://shoddybattle.com/ladder

One loss is not going to do you in. That just means you have to gain back a little ground. Hopefully that will become more apparent with the info on how the ratings are gotten.

Yeah, I'd like to agree with you as well somewhat. I found that the laddering article was rather poorly written and hard to read. Half the time, I had to do double takes to figure out which method they were talking about. The mentioning of names didn't help at all, either. I don't stalk these people when they ladder, so how are they relevant? The methods themselves also weren't explained all that well. The article could have used some more useful information. For example, how often should one ladder generally to get a good shot at getting a high rating?

All this makes me think that I should try to help out with The Smog. I feel that some of the writers are perhaps stuck in some kind of status quo that causes them to write for the wrong audience.

Yeah, I'd like to agree with you as well somewhat. I found that the laddering article was rather poorly written and hard to read. Half the time, I had to do double takes to figure out which method they were talking about. The mentioning of names didn't help at all, either. I don't stalk these people when they ladder, so how are they relevant? The methods themselves also weren't explained all that well. The article could have used some more useful information. For example, how often should one ladder generally to get a good shot at getting a high rating?

All this makes me think that I should try to help out with The Smog. I feel that some of the writers are perhaps stuck in some kind of status quo that causes them to write for the wrong audience.
Agreed, and good to know that someone is on the same boat as me

I to also found the article confusing. I had to re-read certain parts multiple times to understand them. I still can't get my rating into the 1500's. I can't sign up for the tutoring program because I don't have enough posts.

I never really bothered laddering actually. I'm only testing and battling on shoddy for fun. But I'd like to try it out for once. I just don't see how I will get to 1500's. I feel like my teams are a bit to weak for that and that I, myself, am not that good. But I should try it out sometime though. I signed up for Smogon's tutor program so perhaps maybe they can help me.

I also found the article confusing, and I'm a foreigner, so it was kinda hard for me to figure things out. Not that my English is that bad >_>.

The SPrinkLer

Banned deucer.

People stalk me when I ladder for some reason...

Anyway yea I totally agree with DJX09. I got to 1534 CRE by using an offensive team gave me, then I started using a joint semi-stall team to get where I am at now. You still occasionally face bad battlers though...and I also got raped by a Houdoom once =[

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)