The Last of BW

The Last

Hello, everybody. Above is my take on the standard Sandstorm offense team that uses TTar - Keldeo - Landorus-T. While my team does use a standard formula, I added a lot of my own personal twists to the team that makes sure people are thrown off guard. I am getting pretty bored of playing with the team, and I wanted to share some of the sets with you guys and what better way to do it with an RMT? I got to #16 on my latest run on the ps ladder, but I don't really put to much value in ladder peaks because it seems like now it is more about who you get first as your opponent than how well you actually play.The Youtube video is my favorite song to play Pokemon to, so giving it a listen will put you in the zone I am in with this team :p. This team is very tactical, it tries to take advantage on how an opponent would normally play with the twists in the sets and the mindgames the trappers produce. So I will include a "tactics" portion next to every pokemon to give you an idea how the team might be played.
Anyway let's get started:
The Team-building Process:

So I wanted a Sand hyper offense team, so I used a Scarf Tyranitar at first since it could revenge weather sweepers, even Toxicroack with EQ. I remembered how excellently Gliscor can cover Tyranitar's Ground and Fighting weaknesses and knew Landorus-T could do the same. I was familiar with Landorus-T's double dance set already, so I made it the sweeper of my team. A lot of the Pokemon that would try to kill Tyranitar could be set up on Landorus-T, such as Terrakion.

Scarf Tyranitar could remove Jellicent thinking they could stay in and Will-o-Wisp, thinking they were faster than Choice Band Tyranitar. Originally, I had a Ice Punch Lucario in Keldeo's slot because it could lure in Gliscor, hit Skarmory at +2 to make way for Landorus-T, and good it was good late game. I replaced it with a Scarf Keldeo because I would straight up lose to SubToxic Gliscor. In addition, Scarf Keldeo kept in place a second late game option for a sweep and gave me a great revenge killer. Oh yeah, Scarf Tyranitar can Crunch Baton Passing Celebi thinking they were safe. I had the standard Sand-core.

I needed something for Breloom, stronger water attacks, and something with speed. I chose Latias over Celebi because Latias is a much better fit on offensive teams and is faster. I then switched to Latios for power, but then realized the extra bulk Latias has is extremely beneficial. The lose of power didn't really bother me because it can still decimate everything that is not a steel-type.

I realized that after a couple of game I needed a steel-type of my own for opposing Dragon-types. Tyranitar could tank and eliminate the common special dragons, Latios and Latias easily, but not physical ones. So I threw an SD Scizor on the team. It added priority, a steel type, and another Pokemon to take advantage of Jellicent's removal from Pursuit. With Scizor on the team, Skarmory was a real nuisance. Really any Steel-type that was not weak to Ground like Ferrothorn, Skarmory, and Scizor were really annoying. Scarf Jirachi's ability to tank, revenge, and kill my team was also really annoying. Outside of Landorus-T's EQ, I didn't have a strong response to Steel-types. Enter Magnezone. Magnezone meant I could take advantage of Latias' power a lot more easily. It kept the Dragon resist, even if it might not be greatest since they have to lock themselves into Outrage. At this time I changed my Tyranitar to its current set (you will see!).

My last Pokemon I put in on the team was my lead since its presence on the team is the shortest. Before the Magnezone stage, I had a SR Terrakion and then an SR Garchomp with Fire Blast. Both were great offensive leads immune to Sandstorm, which meant I could keep them for the late game. My Garchampion was dissapointing me however. It had a pretty good matchup against opposing offensive leads, but not good enough. Breloom and opposing Garchomps were super annoying and could limit me to just getting up SR. In addition, I lost priority for the team. I remembered an SR lead that did have priority, Mamoswine! With a slight change to lead Mamoswine's moveset, I could beat most offensive leads with ease. It also gave me priority for big threats like Agility Thundurus-T and Dragons. The team I felt was finished!

The Team:

Lead
Mamoswine (M) @ Focus Sash
Trait: Thick Fat
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Ice Shard
- Icicle Spear
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock

Mamoswine starts off the team strong and sets up Stealth Rock. Mamoswine's key to success is its great matchup against opposing offensive leads, especially with Icicle Spear. Icicle Spear's ability to break opposing Focus Sashes is an invaluble asset because it means many leads are put into a choice of either breaking my focus sash or setting up SR. Lead Breloom, Lead Garchomp, and lead Aerodactyl are killed by Icicle Spear even with a Focus Sash or a Yache Berry in Garchomp's case. Terrakion is 2HKO'ed by the combination of EQ + Ice Shard, which prevents him from setting up Rocks or breaking my Focus Sash. Scizor and Choice Scarf Jirachi are dissuaded from trying to stop and killing Mamoswine because they will be trapped by Magnezone.

Surprisingly, Mamoswine stays around more often than not, if I even choose to lead with him. Mamoswine's Ice Shard is great to pick off dangerous threats like Thundurus-T, Chlorophyll Venasaur, Dragons, Breloom, and Landorus-T. Without Ice Shard, Thundurus-T and Venasaur would be a lot harder to handle for this team. Icicle Spear serves as my more powerful Ice-STAB on Mamoswine for two reasons. First, it lets me handle opposing offensive leads. Second, Icicle Spear allows me to check and stop SubToxic Gliscor from becoming out of control. It would be a huge threat to my team otherwise. Earthquake is my obligatory STAB move to hit stuff hard and to soften things up for Landorus-T. Lastly, Mamoswine pairs well with my two late game cleaners offensively: Landorus-T and Keldeo. Mamoswine can remove Lati@s and Celebi from the game for Keldeo to do work. It also can kill opposing Landorus-T so my Landorus-T can sweep and can lure in Skarmory and other Steels to be trapped by Magnezone.

Tactics:
  • Set up SR and kill opposing offensive leads with Icicle Spear
  • Save if at a good amount of health for priority Ice Shard and Icicle Spear against Sub users
  • Soften up Landorus-T checks
  • Prevent Rapid Spin with trapping from Tyranitar or Magnezone

Trapper #1 and Lure
Tyranitar (F) @ Expert Belt
Trait: Sand Stream
EVs: 220 Atk / 36 SAtk / 252 Spd
Hasty Nature (+Spd, -Def)
- Crunch
- Pursuit
- Fire Blast
- Ice Beam​

Tyranitar may not be sweeping opposing teams endgame, but I would definitely say he is by far the centerpiece and most important Pokemon on my team. Tyranitar's purpose is to facilitate the sweeps of my two endgame pokemon: Scarf Keldeo and Double Dance Landorus-T. Expert Belt Tyranitar is an absolute beast. So many Tyranitar's are choiced these days that absolutely no one sees it coming. Expert Belt ensures that I can get KO's on Pokemon that I Pursuit and on the Poke I lure in following the Pursuit trap.

Tyranitar acts as my team's first trapper through Pursuit and Crunch. The primary targets for my traps are Jellicent, Celebi, and Lati@s because they all are counters to my Scarf Keldeo. Since I run a speed boosting nature and max speed EV's, I can outrun all Jellicent before they Will-o-Wisp me. I can even outspeed some defensive Celebi's that attempt to Baton Pass out since their new standard is 240 speed and I hit 243! Even if I make a mistake and Jellicent Wil-o-Wisps me as I Pursuit, Expert Belt Crunch is strong enough to were I could KO at 40%. Expert Belt is extremely useful for Pursuit-trapping because naturally the Pokemon you attempt to trap are weak to Dark.

Next is Fire Blast and Ice Beam. Both of these moves are included on the set because they can OHKO Pokemon that can counter my Landorus-T. Ice Beam lures in Gliscor and Landorus-T while Fire Blast destroys Skarmory because those Pokemon are thinking they are checking a Choice Band or Choice Scarf Tyranitar. Ferrothorn and Scizor are also lured in by Tyranitar "locked into" Crunch, although both can be trapped by Magnezone if need be. The 36 SAtk EV's are to always KO SD Lucario after SR with Fire Blast, which attempt to set up on "choice locked" Pursuits and Crunches all the time. After I had reached max speed, the rest was poured into attack to hit as hard as possible with Crunch / Pursuit.

Tactics:
  • Use Crunch and Pursuit to trap Keldeo checks and counters
  • Use Ice Beam and Fire Blast to lure in Landorus-T checks and counters following a Pursuit trap
  • Keep Sandstorm up for extra residual and to disrupt opposing weather
  • Don't make weather wars priority if it is to disadvantage

Trapper #2 and Mid-game Sweeper
Magnezone @ Salac Berry
Trait: Magnet Pull
EVs:EVs: 28 HP / 228 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Substitute
- Charge Beam
Magnezone is the second trapper on my team. His job is to remove pesky Steel-types for Latias and to specfically remove Skarmory for my Landorus-T. In order to trap Sp. Def Jirachi, I needed to use a Sub-Charge Beam set. I was really disappointed with the Substitute set's inability to do anything outside of getting a KO on a Steel-type, getting some damage off, and then getting sac'ed. I stumbled upon Salac Berry and everything has changed. Salac Berry allows Magnezone to get mid-game sweeps going in order to open up stuff for the rest of my team. The plan is to get as much Special Attack as possible while on Ferrothorm, BP Scizor, or Iron Head Jirachi. Once you are +2 or beyond (really though getting to +3 is the most common) and with a Substitute up, kill the Steel-type. When the revenge killer comes in, sub down until Salac Berry activates. Congrats, you now outspeed everything from base 114 and below. If the revenge killer isn't a scarfer or Starmie/Zam you can keep a Sub up and kill while at +3 SpA and +1 Spe. Magnezone makes surprisingly good use of Salac Berry because it is pretty priority resistant; it resists Bullet Punch, Ice Shard, and Sucker Punch with base 115 defense. It also can always retain a Sub when it receives its Salac boost because it sets up on targets it can trap.

SubSalac Magnezone causes a lot of trouble for rain teams that use Ferrothorn. Often, the only thing they have that is faster than base 114 is their Scarfer, which can be killed from Magnezone behind a Sub. Since Magnezone trapped Ferrothorn, which is their main electric resist, you can just go to town with Thunderbolt. Max special attack is used for the most power, while max speed is to make sure I outspeed SD Scizor and tie Sp. Def Jirachi. 4 HP EV's makes sure I have an even number HP, which makes Salac Berry activate on 3 Subs instead of 4. I use HP Ice because it is better for sweeping teams and makes sure that I am not set-up bait for Garchomp / Landorus-T. It is disappointing I can not immediately trap and kill CB not locked into BP / Pursuit or bulky SD Scizor, but the sweeping prowess is worth it.

Tactics:
  • Use trapping to kill Steel-types for Latias and counters to Landorus-T
  • Use threat of trapping to prevent Mamoswine, Tyranitar, Latias being killed (setting up SR vs Scarf Jirachi, Fire Blasting Scizor with Tyranitar since Mag stops Bullet Punch, Latias being Pursuit trapped by Scizor or hit by Jirachi)
  • Use trapping to set up a early-midgame sweep
  • Attempt to keep healthy for maximum amount of Charge Beam boosts

Tank and Hole-puncher
Latias (F) @ Choice Specs
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Dragon Pulse / Grass Knot
- Sleep Talk​

Latias provides my team with so many things: a holepuncher, defensive pivot, and speedy attacker all in one. That massive base 130 Sp. Def let's Latias tank rain boosted attacks extremely well. Latias forms a formidable offensive parnership with Magnezone because opponents are pressured into switching into steel types with the threat of being trapped. I have opted for Choice Specs on Latias as opposed to Life Orb because that extra power is crucial in damaging the opponent and getting OHKO's. Choice Specs also can fit in Sleep Talk better into the set, which is needed so I can counter Breloom and Amoonguss. Often, after using Spore, Breloom stays in and proceeds to be OHKO'ed (they do not expect a Choice'ed Sleep Talker). People really do not expect Latias to be Specs and the power that comes from it really takes people off guard.

Draco Meteor is to hit as hard possible, and I make sure to spam the crap out of it. Psyshock is a nifty tool to check Fighting-types, especially Terrakion and Keldeo. The third slot is up for grabs. More often than not, I chose Dragon Pulse because it can hit stuff consistently after steel-types have been cleared by Magnezone. The consistency, speed, and power of Dragon Pulse can be very useful in the mid-game to late game. On the other hand, Grass Knot can be used to destroy Gastrodon, which causes a lot of problems for this team. In addition, Grass Knot can lure in and 2HKO any Tyranitar variant after SR. Grass Knot makes me lose the consistency of Dragon Pulse and allows a 33% chance for Breloom to live and find out about my surprise Sleep Talk.

Tactics:
  • Spam Draco Meteor to put pressure on the opponent switching in their steel-type
  • Absorb Sleep for surprise KO's on Breloom and Amoonguss
  • Use possible Pursuit trap as a set-up opportunity for Landorus-T (Tyranitar) or Magnezone (Scizor)

Late-Game Option #1
Keldeo-R @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Justified
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 Def / 252 Spd
- Secret Sword
- Surf
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Hydro Pump​

Keldeo serves as my first late game option and my revenge killer. With Tyranitar clearing the way for Keldeo by Pursuit trapping its counters, pretty much nothing can stop Keldeo from cleaning up teams. Keldeo makes a great late game pair with Landorus-T because the priority that hits Landorus-T hard is resisted by Keldeo and vice-versa. Thus, no matter what priority my opponent has, I have a good late game option. Considering that this is the #1 threat in the metagame, I would be surprised if you did not know how this worked. Surf is the cleaning move of choice because of its neutrality and power. Secret Sword is needed to hit special walls hard and acts as a second clean up choice option.

I have settled upon Hidden Power Ice and Hydro Pump for my Keldeo's last two slots. Hidden Power Ice is really needed so I can revenge opposing Dragonite and Salamence safely 100% of the time. Meanwhile, Hydro Pump is nice if I need that extra bit of power to kill a target. For example, Gengar is not OHKO'ed by Surf after Stealth Rock and Offensive Volcarona after a QD only takes 63% - 75% from Surf. Hydro Pump, however, takes out Gengar after SR and Volcarona after one round of Life Orb recoil and Sandstorm is KO'ed 75% of the time. I have considered Icy Wind + HP Electric for Starmie and Gyarados, but IMO Volcarona and dragons are a bigger threat.

Tactics:
  • Use as revenge killer against potent threats
  • Use to put pressure on opponents to send in Pokemon that can be Pursuit-trapped by Tyranitar
  • Save health for late-game scenarios
  • Use opposing rain to decimate Pokemon as opposed to keeping Sand

Late Game Option #2
Landorus-T (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Intimidate
EVs: 32 HP / 252 Atk / 224 Spd
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Swords Dance
- Rock Polish

My favorite sweeper finds itself on my team: double dance Landorus-T. I have been championing Landorus-T for awhile now and I am happy that it has finally gained popularity. Originally I ran an Adamant spread that hit 263 speed, then the on-site spread with 270. But you know what, there are so many critical threats that can OHKO you that you lose out on when running Adamant is totally not worth it: Heatran, Lucario, Jolly Toxicroack, Venasaur in sun when at +2 etc. So I switched over to Jolly with 286 speed which is enough to outspeed Heatran, Venasaur in Sun, and Lucario. My team was pretty weak to Jolly Toxicroack and I wanted to beat it, so I went to 297 speed. At this point so I wouldn't lose to Ninetales without an RP, mixed Jirachi, and neutral base 100's, I said fuck it I am so close I bump up the speed to 301. Despite all the speed creep, basically Jolly is the way to go IMO. I usually run the spread above with the second EV spread being 88 HP / 252 Atk / 168 Spd which outspeeds positive base 80's and hits 286 depending on my feelings about Toxicroack.

Anyway, Landorus-T is a very important Pokemon on my team because it provides an excellent check to many threats with Initimidate as well as a late-game option with a Rock Polish. EQ and Stone Edge form the classic EdgeQuake combo while Swords Dance and Rock Polish provide +2 in attack and speed respectively. With a Jolly Nature and the ability to outsped neutral base 100's, Landorus-T's Swords Dance becomes a much more potent threat. Often, I just use Swords Dance so I can soften up the opponent for my other Pokemon. After Skarmory has been trapped by the opponent, most stall teams crumble to the power of Landorus-T's +2 or +4 Earthquake. The speed also allows Landorus-T to check several big threats to my team that I would not otherwise be able to with a Adamant nature such as Heatran, all forms of Toxicroack, and standard SubCM / Mixed Jirachi. It also allows my to only have to Rock Polish once against sun teams to make sure I outspeed Venasaur. Landorus-T's intimidate allows me to absorb U-turns and bring down the power of physical late-game sweepers like Dragonite and CB Scizor. As for sweeping, Landorus-T can ussually get them with ease because Tyranitar lures in Gliscor, Landorus-T, and Skarmory while Magnezone can trap Skarmory and Scizor who would otherwise limit Landorus-T's ability to sweep.

Tactics:
  • Use Intimidate to lessen the power of opposing threats and check Pokemon
  • Do set up on Dugtrio that trap Tyranitar to win the weather war
  • Do set up on Tyranitar that trap Latias
  • Selectively use only Swords Dance to soften up targets for my team
  • Destroy opposing teams and win!
Conclusion:

I hope you guys take away some sets from my team and try it out! It was a lot of fun making it and it functions very well. Rate, hate, celebrate. BW was a lot of fun and this will probably my last major team. Thanks for reading.

Importable:

Mamoswine (M) @ Focus Sash
Trait: Thick Fat
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spd
- Ice Shard
- Icicle Spear
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock

Tyranitar (F) @ Expert Belt
Trait: Sand Stream
EVs: 220 Atk / 36 SAtk / 252 Spd
Hasty Nature (+Spd, -Def)
- Crunch
- Fire Blast
- Pursuit
- Ice Beam

Magnezone @ Salac Berry
Trait: Magnet Pull
EVs: 28 HP / 228 SAtk / 252 Spd
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Substitute
- Charge Beam

Latias (F) @ Choice Specs
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Grass Knot
- Sleep Talk

Keldeo-R @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Justified
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
- Secret Sword
- Surf
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Hydro Pump

Landorus-T (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Intimidate
EVs: 32 HP / 252 Atk / 224 Spd
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Swords Dance
- Rock Polish

Last edited:

ShootingStarmie

Bulletproof
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Hey DoughBoy! Awesome team you have here, but I feel I might have a few suggestions to make your team slightly better.

So off the bat, I can see Pokemon like Gastrodon and Rotom-W are pretty big problems for you. Gastrodon beats Tyranitar, Keldeo, Magnezone, and checks Landorus-T and Mamoswine nicely, while Latias doesn't hit it as hard as you'd like. Rotom-W is also a pain, mainly because you're only check (Latias) is easily worn down with no form of recovery + being Pursuit weak. So, my first suggestion is to replace Latias with Celebi. Their synergy is very similar, but Celebi is a much better counter to Rotom-W and Gastrodon. Celebi can also lure Steel types in easily for Magnezone to trap, and is in general a much better check to Rain teams. Here's the set.

Celebi @ Leftovers
Trait: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 40 Spd / 216 SDef
Calm Nature
- Baton Pass
- Giga Drain
- Psychic
- Recover

So Baton Pass is used to gain momentum for your team, as it's really nice to trap incoming Skarmory and Scizor thinking they can switch into Celebi easily. Giga Drain is STAB and allows you to check easily beat Gastrodon and Rotom-W. Psychic is used as secondary STAB and checks Breloom, Terrakion, and Toxicroak. Recover is used to keep Celebi around for the majority of the match. EVs are used to maximise special bulk, while out speeding all Tyranitar, Adamant Breloom, and Adamant Scizor.

Now with this suggestion, I feel maybe you're slightly weak to Heatran so my next suggestion would be to replace Mamoswine with Garchomp. I feel Garchomp is a much better lead, and it still checks stuff like Venusaur and Thundurus-T. It acts very similar in Mamoswine, but allows you to beat Heatran more easily. Alternatively, you could replace a move on Tyranitar's move pool for something like Super Power or Earthquake to hit Heatran thinking you're locked into Crunch, but I feel every move on Tyranitar is important, so Garchomp > Mamoswine is my next suggestion. Here's the set.

Garchomp @ Focus Sash
Trait: Rough Skin
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 HP
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Swords Dance
- Outrage
- Earthquake

Not much to say here really. Max speed and attack to allow Garchomp to check Thundurus-T and base 100s. Stealth Rock is Stealth Rock. Swords Dance is used to wall break nicely, creating an opening for your Landorus-T, while Outrage and Earthquake are Garchomp's choice of STAB.

And finally, my last suggestion would be to change Tyranitar's item to Chople Berry. I really feel Gengar could cause this team a lot of trouble, so Chople Berry Tyranitar allows you to check it nicely once it has no Substitute up, while also bluffing the Banded set nicely.

Other than that, it's a really cool team. Good luck with it, and I hope my suggestion's helped you in some way.

eh, nice team. quintessential sand offense with a couple of tweaks :)
i second shootinstarmie's observation about the team's weakness to rotom-w and gastro; specs latias hits like a truck but has poor longevity hence you might want to replace it with celebi. i would run a bulky NastyPass celebi though, to keep up with the offensive pace of the team. also, if the opponent is stupid enough to send a steel type against celebi you can easily pass the np boost(s) to magnezone who will certainly appreciate it. recover isn't really needed as smart play + giga drain will likely keep your health at acceptable levels. watch out for hpbug keldy though.

i know you decided against it at some point, but alternatively, use bulky LO latias as this will fare better against all variants of keldeo (again, hpbug is really a bitch). this latias also holds her own against rotom-w and gastro.

imo lead mamo should stay though; one of its main draws is being able to beat that exact leadchomp shootinstarmie suggested so there isn't really a reason to change it. mamo fares well against tran too.. in fact balloontran with hpice murders chomp. mamo does alot more than leadchomp/rak in that it offers awesome mid-late game utility in the form of ice priority (and eq). definitely a mainstay on the team.

i'm ambivalent about chople berry/ebelt on ttar so i shall abstain from commenting on that. note that certain (common) fighting moves will still prove too much for ttar, berry or not.

suggested sets:
@ Leftovers
232 HP / 180 SpA / 96 Spd
Modest Nature
Giga Drain | Psychic | Nasty Plot | Baton Pass

OR

@ Life Orb
72 HP / 184 SpA / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
Draco Meteor | Psyshock | Recover | Grass Knot/Dragon Pulse

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)