The Mix Mash (2nd Gen 5 Competitive Team)

Intro​

This is my second attempt at a competitive battling team. I have learned a lot since I have joined the forum and I thank you all for your support and criticism. This team has a mix and mash of various playing styles. Some stalling, some weather, some haxing, ect. Well thanks for reading my post and I present to you the team.

Jirachi @ Leftovers
Trait: Serene Grace
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 224 HP / 252 Atk / 32 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Iron Head
- Body Slam
- Zen Headbutt
- Wish

This set utilizes Jirachi's wish support, great defensive typing, haxing capabilities, and balanced stats. Jirachi has few weaknesses and a large number of resistances. With investment in HP, Jirachi can take various attacks with ease, while providing all-round support with paralysis, flinching, and wish. Jirachi is unique when compared to other paralysis-inducers thanks to its ability, Serene Grace, alongside Body Slam and Iron Head. When it comes to the paralysis-inducing move, Body Slam is the best option, because, whereas a multitude of support Pokemon can abuse Thunder Wave, Jirachi can utilize Body Slam to paralyze threats that Thunder Wave cannot. Serene Grace doubles Body Slam's chance to paralyze to a reasonably consistent 60%, allowing Jirachi to paralyze a threat most of the time thanks to its great bulk. Another trait that Jirachi has over other support Pokemon is Iron Head; this move is complementary with paralysis and Serene Grace, as Jirachi can slowly chip away at an opponent, weakening it for another Pokemon to KO. Iron Head may also allow Jirachi a "free turn" for Wish healing, provided the opponent flinches.

Zapdos @ Leftovers
Trait: Pressure
EVs: 248 HP / 244 SDef / 16 Spd
Calm Nature
- Thunder
- Roar
- Roost
- Heat Wave

Zapdos can run a specially defensive set thanks to its fantastic defensive typing. Even though its defensive stats might lack a little uster, it has the bulk to take just about any reasonably powered special attack in the game when invested. This set's effectiveness hinges on whether or not Zapdos resists many of the opponent's attacks. If Zapdos can switch in on resisted special attacks or weak neutral hits, it can fire off a powerful Thunder, Heatwave, or Air Cutter (hopefully getting the crit), or recover its health with Roost. Roost is the cornerstone of this set for obvious reasons: it preserves Zapdos' health. Thunderbolt is a generic attacking option, but Thunder is usually better because of the rampant amount of rain in OU and my Politoed setting up rain itself thanks to its drizzle ability.

Cloyster (F) @ White Herb
Trait: Skill Link
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Icicle Spear
- Shell Smash
- Rapid Spin
- Rock Blast

This Cloyster set is one that can sweep most teams with ease. Start with a Shell Smash doubling Cloyster's Attack, Special Attack, and Speed to threatening levels. The White herb then gets rid of the defensive stat drops. Icicle Spear is the perfect move for Cloyster; because of Skill Link, it will always hit five times, effectively making it a 125 Base Power STAB move. Rock Blast offers great coverage with Icicle Spear, hitting Fire, Water, and Ice-types for at least neutral damage. In the last slot, rapid spin to fling away those pesky entry hazards.

Breloom (F) @ Toxic Orb
Trait: Poison Heal
EVs: 12 HP / 252 Atk / 244 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Spore
- Leech Seed
- Substitute
- Focus Punch

First of all, Breloom's incredible defensive typing makes it more than capable of taking hits from some top Pokemon in OU. Combine this Poison Heal and leech seed recovery, Substitute, and Breloom can easily prove itself to be far tougher to kill than its stat spread would suggest. Spore is a must-have on pretty much every Breloom set, as it is the only 100% accuracy sleep move in the game, and with Generation 5's sleep mechanics, a Pokemon put to sleep often might as well be KOed. Leech Seed goes a long way to bolster Breloom's survivability, allowing it to wear down opponents while simultaneously refilling its own life. Substitute compounds this by allowing Breloom to scout switches and stall out Pokemon affected by Leech Seed. It also works especially well on this set due to the significant healing from Leech Seed and Poison Heal. Finally, Focus Punch rounds out the set hitting many pokemon in OU hard.

Hydreigon (F) @ Choice Specs
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 HP / 252 Spd
Modest Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Dark Pulse
- Earth Power
- U-turn

This set takes advantage of Hydreigon's superb offensive stats and incredible coverage to break through common walls and deal heavy damage to the opponent's team. The beauty of this set is that even if your opponent switches into a resisted attacking move, Hydreigon typically has a coverage move that is powerful enough to 2HKO said switch in. Draco Meteor is Hydreigon's strongest move, and is an incredible move when used effectively. Roost significantly increases Hydreigon's durability. Next, we have Dark Pulse which rounds out Hydreigon and provides it with an effective, secondary STAB move that is useful against Reuniclus and Jellicent. Finally, we have earth power for rounded out coverage.

Politoed (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Drizzle
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SAtk / 4 SDef
Modest Nature
- Scald
- Perish Song
- Ice Beam
- Toxic

This set has virtually no problem with setup sweepers, as it has just the right moves to foil their every attempt. Ice Beam punishes any Dragonite or Hydreigon attempting to set up on Politoed and deals major damage to Breloom and Latios on the way in. Scald is a stab special attack and with the rain can deal some massive damage. Scald is used over surf for the chance of burning the opponent. Perish Song allows Politoed to aggravate any Pokemon it cannot outright KO forcing switches. Toxic can also force switches after a few turns as well as a form of passive damage.​

Download (Copy/Paste)
Jirachi @ Leftovers
Trait: Serene Grace
EVs: 224 HP / 252 Atk / 32 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Iron Head
- Body Slam
- Zen Headbutt
- Wish

Zapdos @ Leftovers
Trait: Pressure
EVs: 248 HP / 244 SDef / 16 Spd
Calm Nature
- Thunder
- Roar
- Roost
- Heat Wave

Cloyster (F) @ White Herb
Trait: Skill Link
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Icicle Spear
- Shell Smash
- Rapid Spin
- Rock Blast

Breloom (F) @ Toxic Orb
Trait: Poison Heal
EVs: 12 HP / 252 Atk / 244 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Spore
- Leech Seed
- Substitute
- Focus Punch

Hydreigon (F) @ Choice Specs
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Modest Nature
IVs: 30 Atk / 30 Spd
- Draco Meteor
- Earth Power
- Dark Pulse
- U-turn

Politoed (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Drizzle
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SAtk / 4 SDef
Modest Nature
- Scald
- Perish Song
- Ice Beam
- Toxic

First, I will replace king rock with leftovers on Jirachi, King rock is generally not effective, it does not stack with move that already has a flinch chance, like Iron head on your Jirachi.

Air cutter is also underwhelming on Zapdos, it is just too weak to be useful, replace it with toxic, thunder wave or whatever

I would also use Choice Scarf>leftovers on Hydreigon, your team lack revenge killer and that could be dangerous at time, of course, if you do that you should replace Roost with an attacking moves, such as U-turn

Hope I helps!

Dr Ciel

Banned deucer.
Hello.

Cool team you have here. Rain is quite the popular weather nowadays, isn't it? Anyways, this is a real well put together team, and hopefully with this rate, it can become even better. So, without further adu, let's get to the rate! Alright, first up, I suggest that you change your item on Jirachi to Leftovers over Kings Rock. Leftovers gives you more staying power, which Jirachi enjoys. Staying on Jirachi, I suggest that you use Stealth Rock in place of Psychic. Every team needs Stealth Rock, and this one is no exception, as it just wears opposing teams out. Up next, I suggest changing Zapdos' moveset a bit. Air Cutter isn't that good of a move for Zapdos, and I suggest you replace it in favour of Toxic. Toxic allows you to cripple a variety of attackers in the tier, which is always nice. Staying on Zapdos, I suggest that you change Heat Wave into Roar. Roar helps wear down the opposing team, wether it be by Hazard damage, or spreading around status with the aftermentioned Toxic. One last thing I would change is Seed Bomb over Leech Seed on Breloom. This gives Breloom a way to hit bulky waters for significant damage. Well, that's all i have to say for now. I hope my advice helped. Have fun and good luck with your team!

~Dr Ciel~ (The doctor is OUT)

Thanks for the feedback on the team. I have been testing out the suggestions above and I like most of them. I made the edits in RED. I have also made some changes myself and added them above as well. Thanks for the support! Any more suggestions?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)