The "Mixed results" team

Ok, this is my first RMT. Heck, even my first post. I'll give you a little background. I have a friend who is into the cartridge games, like myself. And we wanted to battle and see who was better. So looking for a way to practice, I found out about competitive play like Pokemon Online! So I built a team centered around HG/SS, which will be our official battleground later on. I played some matching in PO and had mixed results. So here goes!

Starmie

Starmie @ Life Orb
Trait: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Grass Knot
- Ice Beam
- Rapid Spin
- Surf

I've found Starmie to be useful against Aerodactyl and Swampert leads. Aerodactyl leads may get stealth rock out, but Surf then rapid spin usually takes care of them. Swampert is 1HKO'd with grass knot. I've had problems with Infernape leads, since they usually U-turn starmie to 1/4 health.

Flygon

Flygon (M) @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Fire Blast

Flygon is my practice replacement for Garchomp (since my friend and I decided on not having legendaries) in DP OU. Honestly, I chose this set because I saw it on Smogon. I'm not sure how I could improve it.

Gengar

Gengar (F) @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Shadow Ball
- Thunderbolt
- Focus Blast
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Gengar in my opinion NEEDS choice scarf. The only downside is that his power is somewhat lacking. He is usually sent out to deal catch people off guard with his moveset. For example, if a Dragonite takes out another of my pokemon, my opponent won't switch out just because I send in a Gengar. Hidden power Ice takes him out, instead of risking him switching out if I send out my Weavile.

Weavile

Weavile (F) @ Choice Band
Trait: Pressure
- Pursuit
- Ice Shard
- Low Kick
- Night Slash

I used to run an Ice punch set (hilariously I had gone through all the trouble of chain breeding Ice Punch into my cartridge Weavile, only to find that i never used it) but I use Pursuit now instead. Weavile does great against dragons, ghosts, psychics, etc. Especially now that I added pursuit. Tyranitar is another easy one, since Low Kick just destroys it.

Crobat

Crobat (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Inner Focus
EVs: 168 HP / 88 Def / 252 Spd
- Aerial Ace
- Confuse Ray
- Cross Poison
- Super Fang

This is one of the more useful pokemon in my team. I've kept him close to what's possible in the cartridge game, though I am sure it could use some improvements. I just am not experienced enough to know where.

Blaziken

Blaziken (F) @ Life Orb
Trait: Blaze
- Blaze Kick
- Flare Blitz
- Sky Uppercut
- ThunderPunch

Blaziken is not especially fast, but I like to leave it open to using more moves. I've had lots of success against Gyarados, but other water types usually take him out easily. Not sure what I should do with him.

So there you have it. My Gen 4 team. I'm sure it could use lots of improvement. I am just not sure where. I appreciate any input anyone has to offer. Thank you so much

Nice team, but I will suggest a few changes. First I wouldnt make Flygon jolly nature, especially when you have scarf on it. Its attack with jolly nature only goes up to 299 at best(doesnt even exceed 300) which you will be missing alot of power and some important KO's. I would make it adamant nature with choice scarf.(Its faster than most scarf users anyway)
Another thing to point out, you have way too many choice users(also if you include the scarf blaziken) and that could severly cripple your team. Needless to say, I only had 1 choice user in my team and I lost one battle because of that pokemon. I also find life orb to be much better despite the lower power and HP reduction. Flygon is fine with Scarf, Gengar does not need a scarf;he has high enough speed already and you said he lacks the power then give him a life orb. Most weaviles do carry a band but in this case you can try out life orb/expert belt.
Also your team only has sweepers. Is this supposed to be an all-sweeper team? If not, I suggest you look for some walls/supportes in your team because your team is way too frail.

Also, since you already have alot of physical sweepers in this team, you should make a mixed blaziken set. This way it will kill Blissey/Skarmory the sturdiest walls for each defensive stat. This is how I would do it.
Blaziken-Choice Scarf
Ability:Blaze
Evs:252Atk/252SpAtk/4Spd
Nature:Hasty
-Overheat
-Superpower
-Earthquake
-Thunder Punch
This is not standard or anything off smogon sets. This is just one of my own blaziken set that I find pretty useful. Even without any spd investments, it has a +Spd nature with choice scarf which can outspeed many nonscarf users. Overheat and Superpower power reduction wont really matter because you need to switch him often due to him being locked into one move.
OR
Blaziken-Life Orb
EVs:252Atk/156SpAtk/100Spd
Nature:Lonely
-Overheat
-Sky Uppercut
-Agility
-Thunderpunch
This is an agility set. If you can, try using agility on a predicting switch since he doesnt really have the defenses to survive a hit but if he can that would be awesome.(And besides hes got 7 resistances:D) But anyway use agility and you wont even need to worry about speed issues. He's going to be the fastest thing around. I think this set is better than the last one I suggested.

Nice team, but I will suggest a few changes. First I wouldnt make Flygon jolly nature, especially when you have scarf on it. Its attack with jolly nature only goes up to 299 at best(doesnt even exceed 300) which you will be missing alot of power and some important KO's. I would make it adamant nature with choice scarf.(Its faster than most scarf users anyway)

Ok, I switched Flygon to a Adamant nature and it seems to have really help him get the KO when I really need it.

Another thing to point out, you have way too many choice users(also if you include the scarf blaziken) and that could severly cripple your team. Needless to say, I only had 1 choice user in my team and I lost one battle because of that pokemon. I also find life orb to be much better despite the lower power and HP reduction. Flygon is fine with Scarf, Gengar does not need a scarf;he has high enough speed already and you said he lacks the power then give him a life orb. Most weaviles do carry a band but in this case you can try out life orb/expert belt.
Well I kept the choice band on my Weavile for now, but I removed the scarf from Gengar and I am pleased with the power, but there have been several instances where he wasn't fast enough to get the job done. Sometimes I like to switch Gengar in on a flygon or a dragonite so I can use Hidden Power Ice on them. They won't switch out because Gengar isn't usually an ice threat, I suppose. But I can't do that with Life orb.
Also your team only has sweepers. Is this supposed to be an all-sweeper team? If not, I suggest you look for some walls/supportes in your team because your team is way too frail.
Its just a team I wanted to use against a friend. Its a decent team IMO but I figured Crobat was pretty durable. I actually just gave him Brave Bird, Roost, and kept confuse ray and super fang and it seems to be working nicely. Is there anything else I should do to support my team?
Also, since you already have alot of physical sweepers in this team, you should make a mixed blaziken set. This way it will kill Blissey/Skarmory the sturdiest walls for each defensive stat. This is how I would do it.
Blaziken-Choice Scarf
Evs:252Atk/252SpAtk/4Spd
Nature:Hasty
-Overheat
-Superpower
-Earthquake
-Thunder Punch
This is not standard or anything off smogon sets. This is just one of my own blaziken set that I find pretty useful. Even without any spd investments, it has a +Spd nature with choice scarf which can outspeed many nonscarf users. Overheat and Superpower power reduction wont really matter because you need to switch him often due to him being locked into one move.

Tried this, and it seems to be hit and miss....sometimes it works, sometimes it doesnt.
OR
Blaziken-Life Orb
EVs:252Atk/156SpAtk/100Spd
Nature:Lonely
-Overheat
-Sky Uppercut
-Agility
-Thunderpunch
This is an agility set. If you can, try using agility on a predicting switch since he doesnt really have the defenses to survive a hit but if he can that would be awesome.(And besides hes got 7 resistances:D) But anyway use agility and you wont even need to worry about speed issues. He's going to be the fastest thing around. I think this set is better than the last one I suggested.
I'll try the above soon, but some things you suggested really helped, but others didn't.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)