The MMA/Boxing/Fighting Sports Thread

Firstly I knew Weidman would beat anderson call me a liar but whatever.

and I hate it how everyone on the internet are like "THATS WHAT YOU GET SILVA YOU COCKY MOTHERFUCKER" Silvas ability to evade his opponents strikes with his hands down has always been a very entertaining trait of how he fights and is what makes him so fun to watch imo

and I hate it how everyone on the internet are like "THATS WHAT YOU GET SILVA YOU COCKY MOTHERFUCKER" Silvas ability to evade his opponents strikes with his hands down has always been a very entertaining trait of how he fights and is what makes him so fun to watch imo
This was a pretty extreme example of it though -- the only times he did anything quite *that* hands at his waist before was against guys who have no power and very little striking technique. I guess he thought Weidman didn't know how to strike or something.

Trax why do you find the need to disrespect Silva with the Fedor crap. You're supposedly a big fan of the sport. No need to be such a jackass.

Look at the KO. Weidman threw a right hand from the left side like he was going for a slap and Silva looked like he thought Weidman threw a left and was circling to his right to avoid the right hand but he actually ran into a left hook that hit him flush. Brilliant move by Weidman. Great job. No fear. Thats how you do it. I'm happy for him because he gets to live the good life now that he's champion. Silva's made his millions. Now it's someone else's turn if he doesn't want the rematch. Whatever he does is cool with me.

And whoever called Silva an arrogant prick could use a smack to the mouth. Do some research. You don't get to his level of successful without being gracious. He's actually an extremely respectful human being and the world needs people like him, not you.

Trax why do you find the need to disrespect Silva with the Fedor crap. You're supposedly a big fan of the sport. No need to be such a jackass.
I think you may have misinterpreted what I was driving at. I probably could've worded it more elegantly, but what I was driving at was more to do with mental state after the bell rings than anything else.

Look at the KO. Weidman threw a right hand from the left side like he was going for a slap and Silva looked like he thought Weidman threw a left and was circling to his right to avoid the right hand but he actually ran into a left hook that hit him flush.
Watching it over again; Weidman missed with a right and kind of pushed at Silva with the same hand after; Silva leaned backwards and to his right pretty much straight into the the path of the left. Weidman has pretty long reach, maybe that played a little factor.

Still would've thought the technically correct thing there would've actually been to circle away from the power shot. I guess if you're as good as Silva you get to break the rules and get away with it most of the time though.

And whoever called Silva an arrogant prick could use a smack to the mouth. Do some research. You don't get to his level of successful without being gracious. He's actually an extremely respectful human being and the world needs people like him, not you.
I didn't make the comment, but Silva has been at least somewhat arrogant at times (Maia fight, "xyz doesn't deserve to fight me", etc etc) -- not uncommon in high level athletes though and far less than some.

no need to get so angry son

i worded it poorly. i should've said he deserved it for not respecting weidman's striking prowess, sorry!!:toast:

As long as Silva keeps his hands up and goes in for the kill, should be another win for him and yet another streak of MW defenses until he retires...I mean, he was winning in the striking game otherwise, Weidman basically Serra'd him and we all know what GSP did to Serra on the rematch...I hope Weidman is bulking up on his wrestling some more.

As long as Silva keeps his hands up and goes in for the kill, should be another win for him and yet another streak of MW defenses until he retires...I mean, he was winning in the striking game otherwise, Weidman basically Serra'd him and we all know what GSP did to Serra on the rematch...I hope Weidman is bulking up on his wrestling some more.

The best wrestler in the division probably doesn't need to bulk up his wrestling too much more.

Lee

@ Thick Club
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
so i wanna get into this sport. does anyone have any advice or reccomendations. looking specifically at Venom here.

Wow I forgot about this thread. But I'm happy Weidman beat Silva. Silva was being a cocky prick for the last few fights, but he should've known not to mess with a complete beast such as Weidman. I can't wait for the rematch during the Superbowl Weekend.

EDIT: Yay, Mark Munoz! (PINOY PRIDE RIGHT DER)

The best wrestler in the division probably doesn't need to bulk up his wrestling too much more.
IIRC Silva escaped a lot quicker than he did vs Sonnen, so eh, never hurts imo. I guess I meant more he should focus his efforts there since he probably isn't gonna get another wide open shot unless Silva's chin has just utterly crumbled.

I just noticed UFC 168 is on the same EXACT day as the Super Bowl, that kind of sucks. Super Bowl seems to be the bigger event though and the less expensive one, so I wonder if people will just find the fights on a stream or record the Super Bowl..

so i wanna get into this sport. does anyone have any advice or reccomendations. looking specifically at Venom here.
Idk if this answers your question but there are quite a few websites where you can watch fights I can't remember them off tye top of my head but due to copyright laws a lot of the fights get removed. I think some websites include mma-core, mmatko, fightvideomma (I think theres one called fightvidromma or something similar and it actually doesn't have to much videos removed.

really I postrd here to mention that nate diaz is in australia currently and held a seminar which I went to last Sunday
It was awesome meeting him and he is much more chill then you would think judging by the way he acts in the cage and how the media potrays him and his brother Nick.

It was awesome meeting him and he is much more chill then you would think judging by the way he acts in the cage and how the media potrays him and his brother Nick.
Oh please lets not have this "media portrays the Diaz brothers in a way they aren't" shit, it's not how the media portrays them, it's how they act in front of a video camera.

Thanks for sharing superpowerdude, bet you had a good time. I believe you about Nate being cool. Was it a bjj or more mma geared seminar?

Lee if you want to actually train find yourself an experienced trainer who's either competed or understands grappling really well. If you want to train something just to train, train wrestling. No good fighter is a sloppy wrestler. Even Bruce Lee admitted all anyone needs is 6 months of western boxing and 6 months of wrestling to be a competent fighter. And I know you can box. :) best of luck, keep us posted

Well...at least Machida lost, so if Hendo can win against whoever his next opponent is, he might get a shot at Bones/Gustaffson winner, assuming they don't give it to Texiera if he wins.

"Holy shit" was pretty much my reaction at seeing Browne knock out Overeem with that kick...I mean it was impressive he survived that Overeem initial onslaught, and while also impressive he could flips kicks at the 6'4" Overeem's head without effort, I thought he was leaving himself open to an easy leg catch and takedown. Guess not though, that was kinda crazy but great as well.

And Sonnen with a fairly impressive submission in R1 as well. I don't get why he wants to fight Wanderlei so much though, just because he's another big name? I mean, I have no doubt the old Wanderlei would have knocked him the fuck out, but the old man one in the UFC...I just doubt it. Or maybe he just has a thing against Brazilians.

Last edited:
"Holy shit" was pretty much my reaction at seeing Browne knock out Overeem with that kick...I mean it was impressive he survived that Overeem initial onslaught, and while also impressive he could flips kicks at the 6'4" Overeem's head without effort, I thought he was leaving himself open to an easy leg catch and takedown. Guess not though, that was kinda crazy but great as well.
Browne is very tall and Overeem stands kind of short. Overeem is also a vastly less effective striker with MMA gloves on.

So, what's Bendo's kryptonite? A little bit of "Showtime" Pettis lol. Impressive win from Pettis considering that he wasn't even fit to fight not that long ago, and he took advantage of his long delayed title shot (considering he should have been the one fighting to unite WEC/UFC belts).

Nice to see Barnett beat up on Mir (controversial stoppage aside), though whether he'll pass the drug test remains to be seen.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)