The Most Facepalm Worthy Thing You Have Done in All of Pokémon

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
More bad luck than facepalm-worthy but still...

Yesterday, I encountered my first shiny Pokémon in Let's Go. It was a Pidgeotto.

It broke out of five Ultra Balls and fled.
Oof, with Let's Go allowing Pokemon to run away I imagine the number of "ran away Shiny" stories are going to increase.

Another reason why Let's Go mechanics are garbage.
... The main series games have let wild Pokemon flee too. I mean, how many shiny Safari Zone Chansey horror stories have there been? (and other rare and flighty Pokemon)

Point is, you can't really be claiming this as a "garbage Let's Go mechanic" when the main series games have been guilty of it too in the past.

Heck, Let's Go's mechanics can make it ridiculously easy to encounter shiny Pokemon, and you can see shiny Pokemon right away if any are around. (though if you want to argue this as being a garbage mechanic for "devaluing" shinys you're certainly entitled to that opinion)

... The main series games have let wild Pokemon flee too. I mean, how many shiny Safari Zone Chansey horror stories have there been? (and other rare and flighty Pokemon)

Point is, you can't really be claiming this as a "garbage Let's Go mechanic" when the main series games have been guilty of it too in the past.

Heck, Let's Go's mechanics can make it ridiculously easy to encounter shiny Pokemon, and you can see shiny Pokemon right away if any are around. (though if you want to argue this as being a garbage mechanic for "devaluing" shinys you're certainly entitled to that opinion)
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Safari Zone the only place where Pokemon have been able to flee? That, and gen one being the only generation where your Poke Balls can miss? This game brings those undesirable aspects of the game back, only it's for the entire world and catching Pokemon is your main source of EXP. That is utter garbage. It's adding in a more variables than just pressing a button to throw a Poke Ball.

Being able to encounter shiny Pokemon is irrelevant to this. My point is entirely towards the Go-like mechanics with undesirable elements of the original gen one mixed in.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Safari Zone the only place where Pokemon have been able to flee? That, and gen one being the only generation where your Poke Balls can miss? This game brings those undesirable aspects of the game back, only it's for the entire world and catching Pokemon is your main source of EXP. That is utter garbage. It's adding in a more variables than just pressing a button to throw a Poke Ball.

Being able to encounter shiny Pokemon is irrelevant to this. My point is entirely towards the Go-like mechanics with undesirable elements of the original gen one mixed in.
No, roaming Legendary Pokemon have always fled immediately, (with the Johto beasts also having Roar to end the battle if one managed to stop them from fleeing, though Suicune dropped it in Crystal onwards since it was the star of that game) and in Gen 2 some rarer Pokemon had a chance to flee as well. (I recall Snubbul being one such Pokemon)

No, roaming Legendary Pokemon have always fled immediately, (with the Johto beasts also having Roar to end the battle if one managed to stop them from fleeing, though Suicune dropped it in Crystal onwards since it was the star of that game) and in Gen 2 some rarer Pokemon had a chance to flee as well. (I recall Snubbul being one such Pokemon)
So they brought back mechanics from gen two. It was garbage then and it's still garbage now, especially since they went away for five whole generations. Imagine if they went back to pre-physical/special split in Let's Go, it'd still be garbage.

Again, outside of the Safari Zones, those are limited to a handful of Pokemon with Teleport, Roar, Whirlwind, Self-Destruct etc. and legendary Pokemon who can end up struggling to death (after many, many attempts). Let's Go expands that over the entire region for every single Pokemon including, I might add, those you've already captured and transferred via Go. That seems like an unnecessary part of the game designed to make you waste Poke Balls and time. And when catching Pokemon is the main source of experience, it makes the game that much more infuriating.

Last edited:

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Safari Zone locations, Roaming Legendaries, Teleporting & Roaring Pokemon.

We've always have had Pokemon who were able to escape battles (let's not forget about the Pokemon who can just kill themselves by exploding or using one of the other self-fainting moves). However, Let's Go bring in the GO mechanics which allows any Pokemon to escape an encounter when they feel like it not to mention having you able to miss throwing the Poke Ball (which was only in Gen I and only against the Legendary Pokemon with high HP).

While a discussion probably better suited for the Let's Go thread, I'll just quickly say while it works perfectly fine for GO (which is meant to be played on the go, thus makes sense why you can't wait to have a few minutes battle as you chuck as many Poke Balls as possible), for a console game I'd be sitting down to play I feel it's much more irritating. As fun as throwing the Poke Ball sounds, if there's a chance of me missing a throw I'd just stick with the plain ol' "press A to throw ball". Let the Pokemon's catch rate be the difficulty, not my throwing skills.

That, and gen one being the only generation where your Poke Balls can miss?
I know you're bringing this up to compare it to the fact that LG does the same thing, but actually missing the Pokémon doesn't really have a meaning. It's the equivalent to how nowadays sometimes the ball will break before it even wobbles. That never happened in gen 1 - either it wobbles at least once or it misses.

Been breeding mons for the upcoming VGC wifi comp including Croagunk and ev'ing them via Poke Pelago. Well....... I reached the point of having 2 battle ready Toxicroak before realising that I'd bred them without Fake Out and would need to start again from scratch. Needless to say I didn't just facepalm during that moment but /me banged head repeatably on table.

PS Any suggestions for 2 BR Toxicroak with no Fake Out?

I was having fun with my Action Replay walking through walls in Pokémon Pearl and genning candies/proteins and such.
Then one day I decided to save in the black area after in-game walls- VERY FAR in it, because I wanted to see how far I could have gotten.
Needless to say that the game didn't like it very much.
I loaded the game with no walk through walls cheat and I couldn't move while I had dark all around.
I activated it and tried to get out of it, but to no avail.
I had to restart the game. Which, if I remember correctly, didn't even solve the issue entirely since it'd glitch out.

Fun times.

Probably throwing Pokeballs (almost all of what I had) at a legendary until I realized I could only catch it with my masterball and saving over that rather than resetting to try again so as not to waste the afore mentioned master ball
Sabbio Yeah sounds like you messed up the games code when you saved in an area you shouldn't have been in

I know you're bringing this up to compare it to the fact that LG does the same thing, but actually missing the Pokémon doesn't really have a meaning. It's the equivalent to how nowadays sometimes the ball will break before it even wobbles. That never happened in gen 1 - either it wobbles at least once or it misses.
While it doesn't have a meaning in gen one, it does matter in PLG where you actually have control of your throw. In previous generations, every throw is the same. There are no regular/nice/great/excellent throws, and everything is reliant on RNG. But in Go and PLG, you can time your throw perfectly for an excellent throw only for the Pokemon to move or do some random action at the very last moment, thus wasting that excellent throw and a chance at capturing the Pokemon.

So I found a shiny rockruff on the bus on the way home from work. I ended up shutting down my 3ds on the walk home, totally forgetting there was a shiny rockruff on screen. I Didn't realize I shut down my 3ds until I opened it back up, hoping I just put it on sleep mode.

So I found a shiny rockruff on the bus on the way home from work. I ended up shutting down my 3ds on the walk home, totally forgetting there was a shiny rockruff on screen. I Didn't realize I shut down my 3ds until I opened it back up, hoping I just put it on sleep mode.
Look at the positives - it was a Rockruff.

deetah

Delicate as silk
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris an Artistis a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributor
GP & SocMed Lead
One of my most facepalm worthy moments was when I was randomly walking through a patch of grass in Pokemon X and came across a horde of Hoppip, where one was shiny. The thing is, I didn't realize it was shiny until I pressed "run" because I was distracted by something else. I saw the shiny for a split second and instantly regretted everything. RIP.

Ryota Mitarai

Shrektimus Prime
is a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributor
-I used to think Fire type moves were super effective against Electric-types, thus I was unaware of Ground's usefulness.

-I didn't know how to reach Union Cave in HGSS because I wasn't aware of how to make the man on the route let you pass (and I was young so I didn't know English well).

-I did not diffenetrate SpA and Attack

-Tried to look over 100 hundred times "How to recover a Pokemon from Pokerus" in Google because I thought the beneficial effect it had was referring to another mechanic.

-Posting in this thread

One of my most facepalm worthy moments was when I was randomly walking through a patch of grass in Pokemon X and came across a horde of Hoppip, where one was shiny. The thing is, I didn't realize it was shiny until I pressed "run" because I was distracted by something else. I saw the shiny for a split second and instantly regretted everything. RIP.
I did the exact same thing in ORAS.
I was surfing somewhere, distracted about what I was doing. I encounter a Pokemon, it's the shape of a Carvanha, which I've already caught, so I hit RUN. In the short moment it takes to leave the battle, I notice the lime green and teal. I froze, as it dawned on me that I had just ran away from the only completely random shiny I've EVER encountered in 20 years of playing Pokemon.

Me during all of Black 2. I gave up on the game so I traded up all of my pokemon to Y. Years latter I wanted to beat it so I booted up my save file and made a team of a bunch of pokemon I got from dream radar and that shiny Micheno I found just as I finished training my pokemon up to catch up to the level everything else was. My team consisted of physical timid Jigglypuff, Micheno that can't hit ghost types, Togetic, Porygon, normal form Rotom and my MVP, a Shuckle that didn't have toxic. I beat the game with that team, and let me tell you, it is the hardest pokemon has ever been for me. I wasn't even trying to self impose a challenge onto myself, I just built a really bad team. Over time my team did get slightly better such as my Porygon becoming Porygon 2 and my Shuckle learning toxic. However memories of how often I ran to the pokemon center and dying after 3 hits to someone ten levels below me will forever be ingrained into my brain.
Also I remember one time I somehow lost to Hugh postgame when my team was around level 80.

When I was a complete novice at Pokémon, I was playing an online fan-made game with my brother when we received the Cut HM. None of our team could learn it, so I told him we should catch a Bunnelby because it's Normal-type and therefore should be able to learn a Normal-type move like Cut.
Great.

More recently, I was trying to catch a Heracross in Crystal. Not understanding that you could only catch them in certain Headbutt trees, I spent hours Headbutting the row of trees near the Slowpoke Well, even recording my results on a piece of paper; I must've Headbutted about 300 times. At that point I'd run into so many Spearow that I thought a Shiny Spearow was more likely than a Heracross. But then I discovered the Headbutt calculator.

More recently, I was trying to catch a Heracross in Crystal. Not understanding that you could only catch them in certain Headbutt trees, I spent hours Headbutting the row of trees near the Slowpoke Well, even recording my results on a piece of paper; I must've Headbutted about 300 times. At that point I'd run into so many Spearow that I thought a Shiny Spearow was more likely than a Heracross. But then I discovered the Headbutt calculator.
Eh, this is not facepalm-worthy. It's something the game never tells you about, if I remember correctly.

(Emerald) accidentally threw my only masterball at a tentacool in the sea below mossdeep city. last time i saved was several hours ago so i couldn't reload unless i wanted to do everything all over again.

(FireRed) turning off and then trading all my pokemon to a different game when i encountered shiny mankey because i missed the shiny particle effects and thought that the emulator/rom was screwed up. i was a little kid at the time so dont make fun of me please ;(

(FireRed) accidentally running from shiny pidgey when trying to encounter gloom

can't really say which one is worse

When I was a complete novice at Pokémon, I was playing an online fan-made game with my brother when we received the Cut HM. None of our team could learn it, so I told him we should catch a Bunnelby because it's Normal-type and therefore should be able to learn a Normal-type move like Cut.
Great.

Wait, what? I never knew this - must have been pretty lucky when I was a kid as I assumed I can find it in any tree near the Slowpoke Well.

PMD blue: Mawile is weak to fighting so it must be a dark type. Later, It's also weak to fire, so it must be steel/dark.

Emerald: first ever shiny, an oddish. in the safari zone.

Emerald: Giving up on victory road, never making it to the E4.

Diamond: KOing dialga because there's no way it would be downed by Mach Punch, right? I found out when exploring that save years later when I decided to go to spear pillar on a whim that it respawns.

Diamond: So hyped I figured out the whole earthquake+flying type doubles strat, oblivious to the fact that my god skills included running air slash skarmory as the highlight of my team.

Heartgold: As a friend of a friend of someone with a gameshark, I had a mew, level 30. I traded it for a level 70 walrein because I couldn't beat Clair.

Black: OHKOing reshiram with chandelure wasn't facepalm-worthy. Not realizing I got healed before fighting N so thus dropping the low-HP powerhouse for reshiram (that immediately fell to zekrom) was.

Moon: Attempting to breed fake out onto incineroar. I get a shiny while waiting for a female one.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)