The New Toxic Stall

Team at a Glance

I've been having great success with this team since I realised my style was becoming more defensive over time. Each member of the team is extremely useful, which is something that doesn't usually happen with my team. Anyway I'm posting this to get suggestions of how to smooth the edges or make it a more efficient team.​

Rotom Wash @ Choice Scarf

252 spA / 252 Spe / 6 Hp
Levitate
Timid

Trick
Volt Change
Hydro Pump
Pain Split

RotomW is usually what can win a close match for me. Volt Change is super powerful and Dragonite loves picking off the remaining HP with Extremespeed. Other threatening leads such as Tyranitar or Metagross don't expect me to stay in and use Hydropump, but its already too late for the 2KO. Painsplit lets him heal up and Volt out like he never existed.

Terrakion @ Leftovers

252 Atk / 252 Spe / 6 Hp
Justified
Jolly

Swords Dance
Substitute
Close Combat
Stone Edge

This is my prize...stallion..bull..dinosaur. With or without Swords Dance he can wipe out a huge chunk of the team before he can be stopped. Its no challenge to switch him into a dark attack aimed at Jellicent and then start causing pain.
Terrakion has so much survivability with Sub, and poison damage is just enough to ensure a difficult KO with some waiting.

Zapdos @ Leftovers​

192 Hp / 64 Def / 252 Spe
Pressure
Timid

Roost
Substitute
Thunderbolt
Heatwave

Zapdos is one of the best toxic stallers due to good typing and Pressure, which eats away at other stallers. He is also nessisary to wipe out Ferrothorn, Forretress, Scizor...just name any defensive steel. Zap can also beat Heatran after stalling out Fire Blast, which is something my own Forry can appreciate.​

Jellicent @ Lum Berry

248 Hp / 216 Def / 44 Spe
Water Absorb
Bold

Hex
Scald
Toxic
Recover

Jellicent helps the team out alot with a Fighting / Water immunity. Basically that makes her Terrakion's best friend. I'm not too sure about Hex's base power, but it seemed like a good idea with Scald and Toxic. Jell is important for taking ice attacks aimed at Zapdos and Dnite and water attacks aimed at Terra. Toxic is for bulky fliers like Latias and Gyarados.

Forretress @ Occa Berry

252 Hp / 176 Def / 82 SpD
Sturdy
Relaxed

Toxic Spikes
Toxic
Rapid Spin
Earthquake

This is what makes the team work, Toxic Spikes. Zapdos and Dragonite also need Stealth Rock to be spun away. Forry has an Occa Berry to survive surprise fire attacks so that he can do his job. Earthquake is so that Forry isn't total Taunt bait, and sometimes he can get a surprise KO on Heatran if they expect me to switch. Forrey also has Toxic to do a little stalling of his own. I might change it with Painsplit though, because he seems to die too soon.

Dragonite @ Lum Berry

252 Hp / 252 SpD / 6 Spe
Multiscale
Careful

Substitute
Roost
Dragon Claw
Extremespeed

This is my favorite team member. Multiscale is just what Dragonite needed. A sub at full health is hard to break, especially with Roost healing. Dragonite doesn't kill much besides using Extremespeed to pick off other pokes with low health. Maybe something could replace Dragon Claw, but not Outrage. I need some power behind this guy besides just stalling into oblivion.​

This team is well balanced. I can't believe you were able to fit a spinner,and a blocker. It is a nice idea for toxic stall as well. Needless to say here are the following comments.

If rotom-W uses volt change and a ground switches in pretty much forcing you to switch. Well I guess if you trick off the choice scarf early enough then it is fine.

I didn't know that substitute worked in conjuction with multi-scale (are you sure 0-o).

Replace earthquake on Forretress as it won't be doing much damage. Use volt change and try for a negative speed nature as it will allow safe switch ins. Also toxic + toxic spikes seems a bit tedious. Switch toxic for stealth rock (I would say sppikes but most of your threats are not grounded)

You are kind of dragon weak especially to scarf Chomp and Hydregion. I don't see this as stall as you have more than 1 offensive threat(which is used for Reuniclus now-a-days). Also, on that note you are weak to CM Reuniclus which is quite common.

This team is very Scizor weak. If Zapdos is out of the way scizor can pretty much wipe everything else out. Bulky scizors will be able to heal off the damage from jellicent and if they have a cleric the burn won't make a difference.

Nice...I think that with Toxic Spikes, just one Toxic will probably work. But it will be less efficient on Forretress, as you really need Toxic when both your T-Spikes and Forretress die.

I agree with Temporal above, but I notice that a lot of your pokemon use sub. Sub is great, but this is the best sub strategy I have found so far.

Blaziken @ Leftovers
Trait - Speed Boost
Nature - Jolly
EVs: 4 HP/252 Atk/252 Speed
- Substitute
- Sky Uppercut
- Swords Dance
- Flare Blitz
I know you are running a stall team, but this is technically a staller. It is normally a bad idea to have a team of all stallers/sweepers/walls/etc, so you should really have a wild card in there. Basically, come in on something that is no threat too Blaziken (Preferably slower than it to) then sub. Speed Boost Blaziken is soooooo predictable that everyone will think you are gonna protect for the SB, so they will switch out, or setup. Thats when you sub. That way, you get a free turn NEXT turn as well, allowing time to Swords Dance. If they break the sub that turn, the next turn you sub again. And Again. And Again. Without Lefties you should go for a total of 4 turns, which will effectively Triple your speed. With lefties you should go for 6 turns, effectively quadrupling your speed. Assuming you have an SD done, you can proceed to sweep the majority of the other team, because Blaziken's 3x outspeeds Sand Rush Excadrill. Yeah. It does. 4x outspeeds the entire metagame, including Scarf Deoxys - S with +1 speed up and Scarf Sand Rush Excadrill (who would use scarf on Excadrill?). Yeah. That's right. Remember that the first part of the strategy is stalling, while hopefully the opponent has been poisoned beforehand. Think about that damage man. It is technically stalling! And you need a wild card in any case. If this was my team, I would replace Terrakion, but its your choice. You don't even have to use it, but I recommend it.

Anything else that can be improved in my opinion has already been said by Temporal.
Hope this helps.

Thanks for the great suggestions Temporal. And i'm sure Sub works with Multiscale. :)
I think I'll go for Stealth Rock on Forry, though Painsplit still looks yummy to me.

Reuncles is a pain to deal with, seriously. But i'm usually able to kill it without it wiping my team out. I hate him so much though. :<

For some reason Scizor's never come close to sweeping me. Rotom can always beat it with Hydropump if Zapdos is already dead. ( Thats only happened once, Zap is always the last one to die) And Bunky usually kills it with Scald given that it hasn't gotten more than one SD in. I make it my business to kill the cleric if I see one. It doesn't take a genius to know whats going on when Clefable uses Heal Bell and then Wish when they have a burned Scizor, and I always have someone waiting to nail it on the switch when it happens. But maybe I could give Dragonite some type of fire attack, or Bunky perhaps? (Like HP Fire maybe?)

Dragonite has enough bulk with multiscale to actually survive an Outrage from garchomp most of the time and a weakened D meteor from Hydra. What I like to do is sacrafise someone so that Dnite can come in easier and KO with Dragon Claw. Provided, that is not a counter but its how I deal with it.
On that note Terrakion always outspeeds and kills Hydra with Close Combat. So such measures are usually not neccisary.
Maybe theres a suggestion to how I could better with those two dragons that wouldn't alter my team too much, if there is I'd love it.

IF there was only a stronger non-locking move for Dragonite. but sub+roost allows multiscale to constantly be re-used,so that's good.

Bunky is fine I believe. Good to see you are handling scizor well!.
Hydra is annoying if it has a scarf though and terrakoin won't take too kindly to a draco meteor. Maybe scarf your terrakion? That would handle hydra.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)