Project The Next Best Thing (New thread is newer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wall Crippling Cofagrigus

Cofagrigus @ Choice Specs
Ability: Mummy
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 SpD
Modest Nature
IVs: 1 Atk / 30 Def / 30 SpA / 30 SpD / 30 Spe
- Shadow Ball
- Energy Ball
- Trick
- Hidden Power [Fighting]

So basically the point of this set is to cripple walls such as Cresselia and Alo with a Choice item, taking away their passive recovery and locking them into a bad move, like Wish or Calm Mind. And another neat thing is that it can take Amoongus' Black Sludge, then pass that to any non Poison type to cripple it.
Plus it isn't like it doesn't hit for decent damage, OHKOing Houndoom after hazards and beats Cress 1v1 without needing to give it its Specs.

MrAldo

Hey
is a Social Media Contributoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
A set that sweep me back in the XY RU beta days:

Cofagrigus @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Shadow Ball
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

Crofagrigus. Force a switch on a physical attacker of your choice, set up a calm mind, become almost unkillable. This set can act as a solid win con due to shadow ball being extremely spammable, solid defenses and useful ability. Getting rid of your commonly seen dark type is pretty important, plenty of them can get past it easily (hi houndoom!)

I guess thats it.

Cofagrigus @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 16 Def / 228 SpA / 8 SpD / 8 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 3 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 SpD / 3 Spe
- Toxic Spikes
- Shadow Ball
- Hidden Power [Ground]
- Trick Room

Neat little multi-purpose kinda set that I've taken to of late. Cool things that this set does (or doesn't):
- Sets up Toxic Spikes, which are really good rn. If you don't have an absorber or a non-grounded source of hazard removal, you're likely quite weak to them, or weak enough to the point where them being set up puts you back a ways
- Avoids Spikes concession; Qwilfish is 2HKOed by Shadow Ball cleanly, and Garbodor takes ~35-45%, which is satisfactory given so few run Black Sludge.
- Punishes many common switch-ins via HP Ground, including Heliolisk, Drapion, Houndoom, and Skuntank, with only the final one avoiding a potential 2HKO after SR
- Retains end-game potency via TR

SpDef investment means it's taking under half from Reunclus' Shadow Ball, 16 Def EVs reinforce its performance v.Kabutops and Glalie (can't recall the exact scenario frankly, but I do recall it being pertinent enough to make such a nominal investment).

Cofagrigus @ Leftovers
Trait: Mummy
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SAtk / 4 SDef
IVs: 30 SAtk / 30 SDef
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Substitute
- Disable
- Shadow Ball
- Hidden Power [Ground]

Substitute on the switch, Disable the super-effective move and boom, profit! Cofagrigus is really slow so he'll use Disable after they attack, leaving you with a free Sub as they can't hurt you. Sub is pretty good because you force a lot of switches and it gives you free turns basically. Shadow Ball + HP Ground gives flawless coverage barring lol Murkrow and you get to hit Drapion and Houndoom.

blarajan's set loses to houndoom but it was pretty effective vs. scythe so voting for that, plus tspikes wear stuff down so

Reactions: zbr

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus

Exploud @ Silk Scarf
Ability: Scrappy
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Substitute
- Work Up
- Boomburst
- Fire Blast / Focus Blast

So, I've seen this set mentioned a few times here and there and while I haven't tried it (probably will for the heck of it), the concept seems really interesting. Exploud is obviously known to force switches, and using that opportunity to get behind a sub can be very deadly. With Explouds decent bulk it can set up on some weaker defensive Pokemon such as Cresselia lacking a Psychic-type move [not too common but it exists I guess] and maybe a few others like Alomomola but that's not staying in, Cress would generally like to stay in and twave something. Substitute is also handy to avoid being revenge killed from stray Sucker Punch users such as Emboar. First three moves are a given and last slot is for coverage, Fire Blast tends to be the most useful. Toxic Spikes support from something like Garbodor is helpful to potentially stall out more poison damage with Substitute.

+1 252+ SpA Silk Scarf Exploud Boomburst vs. 252 HP / 104 SpD Cresselia: 259-306 (58.3 - 68.9%)

+1 252+ SpA Exploud Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Mega Steelix: 230-272 (64.9 - 76.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

+1 252+ SpA Silk Scarf Exploud Boomburst vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Slowking: 324-382 (82.4 - 97.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Don't really know what else there is to explore with this mon, maybe like Scarf for webs teams I guess?

The Leprechaun

wear nike not fila
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus

Exploud @ Silk Scarf
Ability: Scrappy
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Substitute
- Work Up
- Boomburst
- Fire Blast / Focus Blast

So, I've seen this set mentioned a few times here and there and while I haven't tried it (probably will for the heck of it), the concept seems really interesting. Exploud is obviously known to force switches, and using that opportunity to get behind a sub can be very deadly. With Explouds decent bulk it can set up on some weaker defensive Pokemon such as Cresselia lacking a Psychic-type move [not too common but it exists I guess] and maybe a few others like Alomomola but that's not staying in, Cress would generally like to stay in and twave something. Substitute is also handy to avoid being revenge killed from stray Sucker Punch users such as Emboar. First three moves are a given and last slot is for coverage, Fire Blast tends to be the most useful. Toxic Spikes support from something like Garbodor is helpful to potentially stall out more poison damage with Substitute.

+1 252+ SpA Silk Scarf Exploud Boomburst vs. 252 HP / 104 SpD Cresselia: 259-306 (58.3 - 68.9%)

+1 252+ SpA Exploud Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Mega Steelix: 230-272 (64.9 - 76.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

+1 252+ SpA Silk Scarf Exploud Boomburst vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Slowking: 324-382 (82.4 - 97.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Don't really know what else there is to explore with this mon, maybe like Scarf for webs teams I guess?
i was literally 30 seconds away from posting an almost identical set lol...

most obvious thing to do i guess

MrAldo

Hey
is a Social Media Contributoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
I literally used a exact same set for a while except I had work up + 3 attacks but then I never ever clicked surf or ice beam... so I wondered about sub, and there it is! Beautiful, beautiful set!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)