The Next Best Thing, LC Edition

Rowan

The professor?
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Heysup's set already has an analysis doesn't it?

The Avalanches (even though I still think AJet should be on the set...)

Looks like our winner is Corkscrew! Congratulations to him.

Next up, we have a pokemon known for being the best "glue" in the tier:

Croagunk has quite a few tricks in its movepool, and its typing combined with its ability give it plenty of chances to switch in to the various Water- and Fighting-types in the tier. What other options does Croagunk have? Let us know!

Merritt

no comment
is a Tournament Directoris a Site Content Manageris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host
Head TD
Yeaaa Croagunk. Totally taking this first.

Croagunk @ Eviolite
Ability: Dry Skin
Level: 5
EVs: 132 Atk / 28 Atk / 116 Def / 108 SpA / 116 SDef
Quiet Nature
- Work Up
- Sludge Bomb
- Drain Punch
- Vacuum Wave/Knock Off

For years, Croagunk has languished with the ingloriousness of the inability to break through something. It forced many a switch, and yet failed to be able to take advantage of that glorious fact. But weep no longer, Croagunk. While others have lauded the Bulk Up or Nasty Plot sets which will no doubt follow this, Work Up is the only move that really can be used by the majesty of Croagunk. Bulk Up leaves Croagunk reliant on the terribly inaccurate Gunk Shot for poison STAB, and leaves it with only sucker punch (which is notoriously unreliable) for priority. Nasty Plot, while it gives far more immediate power, leaves Croagunk bereft of recovery.

With Work Up, Croagunk can boost on the many switches it forces. After a boost, it has the power to break most things dead with Sludge Bomb or Drain Punch. Eviolite and Drain Punch keep it around for quite a while. Knock Off can be used over Vacuum Wave, as otherwise Honedge will just sit there, sneering at you (bastard sword), but vacuum wave allows Croagunk to bypass its terrible 9 speed with the quiet nature.

Expulso

Morse code, if I'm talking I'm clicking
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
image.jpg

Croagunk @ Eviolite
EVs: 132 HP / 36 Def / 108 SpA / 36 SpD / 196 Spe
Modest Nature
- Low Sweep
- Sludge Bomb
- Shadow Ball
- Vacuum Wave / Focus Blast

This requires some explanation.

Low Sweep slows down most switchins, letting Croagunk outspeed them with its 14 Speed. The immune Ghost types are weak to Shadow Ball, and Sludge Bomb and the Fighting move act as STAB. The EVs in Defenses are inefficient, but nothing else could be done with 72 EVs: they do help improve survivability without Eviolite, however.

Thanks! :)

Croagunk @ Life Orb
EVs: 188 Atk / 188 SAtk / 36 Def / 36 SDef / 36 Spd
Brave Nature
IVs: 0 HP
- Fake Out
- Vacuum Wave
- Bullet Punch
- Sucker Punch

Behold, the manliest set in existence: QUAD. PRIORITY. CROAGUNK. Confirmed best revenge killer in the game. Try to outspeed it, you can't. These are the only four priority moves Gunk gets, so these are obvious choices. Max atk, spA and Life Orb because power is manly. Who needs defenses and speed when you have this much priority??

Croagunk (F) @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 196 Spd / 188 Atk / 124 SAtk
Naughty Nature
- Cross Chop
- Me First
- Gunk Shot
- Knock Off

Fuck whatever Zeri says, this Croagunk is the best revenge killer (and works as a great lure). You wanna hit Croagunk with your Earthquake? Be prepared to eat it as if it was STAB boosted. That's sort of what Me First does: It acts as a third STAB move that the opponent selected. One drawback is that Croagunk gives up a free turn in the opponent switches, but when uses as a lure for weakened Pokemon, it seems kickass. When Me First isn't an option, Croagunk still has access to hard-hitting STAB moves (and also give it great coverage).

The Avalanches

pokemon tcg
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Croagunk @ Eviolite
EVs: 116 Def / 188 SpA / 196 Spe
Modest Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Sludge Bomb
- Vacuum Wave
- Shadow Ball

Nasty Plot Croagunk can come in on most Water-types and set up a Nasty Plot and start hurting enemies badly off +2 attacks. A +2 Sludge Bomb is a guaranteed OHKO against physically defensive Spritzee and even 2HKOs Vullaby. Steel-types aren't safe either, as Vacuum Wave will hit them quite hard as well as making up for Croagunk's middling speed. Shadow Ball provides perfect coverage on this set and nails the ghosts the other two moves cannot touch.

I'm pretty certain the point of this thread is to post sets that people DON'T use, not the second most common one.

tcr

sage of six tabs
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I'm pretty certain the point of this thread is to post sets that people DON'T use, not the second most common one.
No one uses NP gunk tho. In fact it isnt even a set on the analysis rn, its in other options. Np gunk is usually outclassed by other, better users such as Misdreavus, detering people from using it

Holiday

on my best behavior
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
K so. I guess I'll make a set.

Croagunk @ Eviolite
EVs: 188 Atk / 196 SDef / 124 Def
Adamant Nature
- Substitute
- Super Fang
- Drain Punch
- Knock Off

Super Fang Gunk. Between its ability, Dry Skin, and power to force switches through unpredictability, Croagunk has ample time to set up a Substitute. Due to the unpredictability it has, Pokemon that aren't damaged by this set's two damaging moves, such as spritzee. Croagunk can freely hit whatever it needs to with a Super Fang, breaking walls with ease to kill with drain punch and knock off. As power is often achieved through a boosting move, this set allows for simpler kills and increased decision making on the opponents part. Drain punch supplies STAB and recovery to keep using Sub, and knock off adds coverage to ghosts as well as removing items.

Corporal Levi

ninjadog of the decade
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
Croagunk @ Eviolite
EVs: 52 HP / 188 Atk / 116 Def / 116 SpD / 36 Spe
Adamant
- Substitute
- Focus Punch / Drain Punch
- Sucker Punch
- Knock Off / Gunk Shot / Drain Punch

188+ Atk Croagunk Focus Punch vs. 0 HP / 36 Def Carvanha: 56-68 (266.6 - 323.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Substitute is nice on Croagunk because it blocks status and eases prediction. From there, Croagunk can fire off Sucker Punch now that the opponent is forced to attack Croagunk, or just use one of its powerful STAB moves. Opponents that Croagunk can't deal enough damage to will probably lose their item before Croagunk goes (unless Trubbish). The given EVs maximize Croagunk's attack and hit Eviolite numbers.

omg Kiba beat me to Subgunk ;-;

What's the thing that the above sets have in common? Dry Skin.

Croagunk @ Eviolite
Poison Touch
188 Atk/196 Def/116 Spd
Impish
Fake Out
Drain Punch
Knock Off
Poison Jab

This set can poison opponents while doing damage and healing yourself, and Poison Jab offers a whopping 60% chance to poison! Unfortunately, without Knock Off, Honedge can switch in on it with impunity and set up a swords dance or two.

Last edited:

GlassGlaceon

My heart has now been set on love

Croagunk @ Eviolite
Poison Touch
188 Atk/196 Def/116 Spd
Impish
Fake Out
Drain Punch
Protect / Knock Off
Poison Jab

This set can poison opponents while doing damage and healing yourself, and Poison Jab offers a whopping 60% chance to poison! Unfortunately, without Knock Off, Honedge can switch in on it with impunity and set up a swords dance or two.
Why on earth would you run protect. Take that slash off, this isn't LC doubles

Corporal Levi

ninjadog of the decade
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
As GhostGlaceon said, I would imagine that under normal circumstances, stalling for poison damage for one turn isn't nearly as useful as permanently getting rid of something's item.

A little late, but it's voting time again! Here are the sets (let me know if I missed someone)

Yeaaa Croagunk. Totally taking this first.

Croagunk @ Eviolite
EVs: 132 Atk / 28 Atk / 116 Def / 108 SpA / 116 SDef
Quiet Nature
- Work Up
- Sludge Bomb
- Drain Punch
- Vacuum Wave/Knock Off

For years, Croagunk has languished with the ingloriousness of the inability to break through something. It forced many a switch, and yet failed to be able to take advantage of that glorious fact. But weep no longer, Croagunk. While others have lauded the Bulk Up or Nasty Plot sets which will no doubt follow this, Work Up is the only move that really can be used by the majesty of Croagunk. Bulk Up leaves Croagunk reliant on the terribly inaccurate Gunk Shot for poison STAB, and leaves it with only sucker punch (which is notoriously unreliable) for priority. Nasty Plot, while it gives far more immediate power, leaves Croagunk bereft of recovery.

With Work Up, Croagunk can boost on the many switches it forces. After a boost, it has the power to break most things dead with Sludge Bomb or Drain Punch. Eviolite and Drain Punch keep it around for quite a while. Knock Off can be used over Vacuum Wave, as otherwise Honedge will just sit there, sneering at you (bastard sword), but vacuum wave allows Croagunk to bypass its terrible 9 speed with the quiet nature.

View attachment 12384
Croagunk @ Eviolite
EVs: 132 HP / 36 Def / 108 SpA / 36 SpD / 196 Spe
Modest Nature
- Low Sweep
- Sludge Bomb
- Shadow Ball
- Vacuum Wave / Focus Blast

This requires some explanation.

Low Sweep slows down most switchins, letting Croagunk outspeed them with its 14 Speed. The immune Ghost types are weak to Shadow Ball, and Sludge Bomb and the Fighting move act as STAB. The EVs in Defenses are inefficient, but nothing else could be done with 72 EVs: they do help improve survivability without Eviolite, however.

Thanks! :)

Croagunk @ Life Orb
EVs: 188 Atk / 188 SAtk / 36 Def / 36 SDef / 36 Spd
Brave Nature
IVs: 0 HP
- Fake Out
- Vacuum Wave
- Bullet Punch
- Sucker Punch

Behold, the manliest set in existence: QUAD. PRIORITY. CROAGUNK. Confirmed best revenge killer in the game. Try to outspeed it, you can't. These are the only four priority moves Gunk gets, so these are obvious choices. Max atk, spA and Life Orb because power is manly. Who needs defenses and speed when you have this much priority??

Croagunk (F) @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 196 Spd / 188 Atk / 124 SAtk
Naughty Nature
- Cross Chop
- Me First
- Gunk Shot
- Knock Off

Fuck whatever Zeri says, this Croagunk is the best revenge killer (and works as a great lure). You wanna hit Croagunk with your Earthquake? Be prepared to eat it as if it was STAB boosted. That's sort of what Me First does: It acts as a third STAB move that the opponent selected. One drawback is that Croagunk gives up a free turn in the opponent switches, but when uses as a lure for weakened Pokemon, it seems kickass. When Me First isn't an option, Croagunk still has access to hard-hitting STAB moves (and also give it great coverage).

Croagunk @ Eviolite
EVs: 116 Def / 188 SpA / 196 Spe
Modest Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Sludge Bomb
- Vacuum Wave
- Shadow Ball

Nasty Plot Croagunk can come in on most Water-types and set up a Nasty Plot and start hurting enemies badly off +2 attacks. A +2 Sludge Bomb is a guaranteed OHKO against physically defensive Spritzee and even 2HKOs Vullaby. Steel-types aren't safe either, as Vacuum Wave will hit them quite hard as well as making up for Croagunk's middling speed. Shadow Ball provides perfect coverage on this set and nails the ghosts the other two moves cannot touch.

K so. I guess I'll make a set.

Croagunk @ Eviolite
EVs: 188 Atk / 196 SDef / 124 Def
Adamant Nature
- Substitute
- Super Fang
- Drain Punch
- Knock Off

Super Fang Gunk. Between its ability, Dry Skin, and power to force switches through unpredictability, Croagunk has ample time to set up a Substitute. Due to the unpredictability it has, Pokemon that aren't damaged by this set's two damaging moves, such as spritzee. Croagunk can freely hit whatever it needs to with a Super Fang, breaking walls with ease to kill with drain punch and knock off. As power is often achieved through a boosting move, this set allows for simpler kills and increased decision making on the opponents part. Drain punch supplies STAB and recovery to keep using Sub, and knock off adds coverage to ghosts as well as removing items.

Croagunk @ Eviolite
EVs: 52 HP / 188 Atk / 116 Def / 116 SpD / 36 Spe
Adamant
- Substitute
- Focus Punch / Drain Punch
- Sucker Punch
- Knock Off / Gunk Shot / Drain Punch

188+ Atk Croagunk Focus Punch vs. 0 HP / 36 Def Carvanha: 56-68 (266.6 - 323.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Substitute is nice on Croagunk because it blocks status and eases prediction. From there, Croagunk can fire off Sucker Punch now that the opponent is forced to attack Croagunk, or just use one of its powerful STAB moves. Opponents that Croagunk can't deal enough damage to will probably lose their item before Croagunk goes (unless Trubbish). The given EVs maximize Croagunk's attack and hit Eviolite numbers.

omg Kiba beat me to Subgunk ;-;

Croagunk @ Eviolite
Poison Touch
188 Atk/196 Def/116 Spd
Impish
Fake Out
Drain Punch
Knock Off
Poison Jab

Voting ends when I get around to it.

Merritt

no comment
is a Tournament Directoris a Site Content Manageris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host
Head TD
I vote for myself

Absolutely going to have to go for Levi's proposal, since he makes a good subgunk, especially considering the switches Gunk forces.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)