Project The Next Best Thing - ORAS OU Edition V3 - FINISHED

Status
Not open for further replies.

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Full lure Life Orb Tornadus-T (also known as "Greninja 2.0")

I don't know if this is enough "creative" or too much "gimmick" to be accepted, so feedback is appreciated.

Tornadus-Therian @ Life Orb
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 76 Atk / 180 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Sludge Wave/Psychic
- Superpower
- Grass Knot
- Hidden Power Ice

This is a classic Life Orb attacker set but I pretent to not run U-Turn or Knock Off (as a utility move) and the STAB Hurricane (strong but unreliable) to use 4 coverage moves depending on what you want to kill thus supporting your team with a base 121 Spe Life Orb attacker which can 2HKO many pokemons.
Sludge Wave is preferred over Sludge Bomb for the 2HKO on Cleafable or you can run Psychic to hit annoying poison types such as Venusaur, Amoongus.
Grass Knot solidly 2HKO bulky waters and grounds including Keldeo which now we can 2HKO with GK with SR support.
HP Ice makes the same on pokemons weak 4x to Ice such as Gliscor, Landorus-T and Garchomp.

The strenght of this set is unpredictability on your 4 coverage moves which your opponent has to scout before doing some risky switch-ins. Heat Wave is the last coverage move (mainly towards Ferrothorn and Scizor) with high accuracy and with no drawbacks you can run, but I'm trying to cover the highest number of threats with one set.

Teammates support: hazards control is really appreciated to get rid of Stealth Rock and hazard setters to tranform at least some shabby 2HKO into solid 2HKO (most of the time SR is more than enough).
Why would you use HP Ice when Icy Wind exists .-.

p2

Banned deucer.
more damage duh

time for some innovation fam

Tailwind Torn-T

Tornadus-Therian @ Life Orb
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Tailwind
- Hurricane
- Heat Wave
- U-turn

Pair this with slowish wallbreakers like Gardevoir and watch everything drop when Steel types are dead. It's also useful because it means faster stuff like Lopunny or scarfers can't outspeed you. This also has an incredible matchup against Rain because you outspeed everything and turn their weather against them and you're pretty much unbeatable if you can fit Grass Knot on there.

Offensive rest talk incarnate
Leftovers/Life Orb
EVs: 4 SPE, 252 HP, 252 ATK/SPA
Calm/Careful Prankster
Rest
Sleep Talk
Superpower/Air Slash
Knock Off/Heat Wave/Grass Knot

Can either be a attacker or a special attacker so physical and special moves should be used with each other. Superpower and Air slash both hit hard (hurricane can be used instead of air slash thus exchanging power for accuracy. Knock Off is powerful, gets rid of items and coverage wise only misses fairies (U-Turn can be used instead if your team values a pivot more). Heat Wave guarantees to hit hard with a burn chance but Grass Knot has better coverage and accuracy (HP Ground has even better coverage but has a low base power).
This set can be useful because of prankster. If you use Sleep Talk your attacks get immediate priority whilst outspeeding other priority users such as Mega Banette, Sabeleye and Klefki.

i totally didn't rig this by picking this weeks pokemon
Edit: I Cant Read

Substitute Attacker Tornadus-Therian

Tornadus-Therian (M) @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Grass Knot / Heat Wave
- Focus Blast
- Substitute
- Hurricane

This is a really fun torn-t set. What this is is sub+3 atks torn-t. This set takes advantage of torns speed tier and regen to abuse subs. Its also nice how this set can avoid being crippled from status which is useful. Grass knot is used to hit hippowdon and slowbro while focus blast hits tyranitar,heatran,skarmory,mega scizor. Last is hurricane which is your main stab which hits everything hard.

Lemme know if i need more of a discription.

Last edited:
i totally didn't rig this by picking this weeks pokemon

Iron Tail Tornadus-Therian

Tornadus-Therian (M) @ Assault Vest
EVs: 88 HP / 8 Atk / 160 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hurricane
- Iron Tail
- U-turn
- Grass Knot / Hidden Power Ice

So this is something that's nothing new but its a pretty hot set overall. Basically as many of you know mega diancie is a pretty common lead on teams that use it. Naturally torn-t is also a common lead due t its fantastic speed stat. The purpose of this set is so that you beat mega diancie while also boping garde with iron tail which can 2hko or ohko these threats. This is really nice for teams such as offense that really struggle with mega diancie or more slower teams that hate gardevoir. Grass Knot is the second part of this set which allows you to hit slowbro and hippowdon for some really nice damage of course Hp ice Can also be used if you deal with these two already and instead want to remove landot and garchomp. Evs allow you to OHKO mega diancie at full (0 atk evs cant ohko).
Iron Tail Torn-T was literally the first set posted, so you'll need to pick something else.

Toxic Tornadus-Therian

Tornadus-Therian (M) @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Hurricane
- Heat Wave/Focus Blast
- Grass Knot
- Toxic
Pretty Standard crap outside of Toxic. Toxic allows it to cripple sp.def talon which is like the 10/10 switch in to it outside of Heatran. Toxic also hits Hippo, Rotom-W, Tank Garchomp, AV Raikou, Sp.def Mega Alt, Mega Slowbro, etc. Heat Wave hits Mega Scizor to prevent set up bs and also hits Skarm, Excadrill, Ferro etc. Focus Miss hits the same except also hits heatran but mega scizor can use torn-t as set up and skarm just sits on it. Grass Knot allows Torn-T to do work on T-tar, Hippo, Reg Slowbro, Azumarill, etc. Stab Hurricane just hurts. Thanks Pika Pal for noticing the AV I put on toxic torn-t >.<

Last edited:

Tornadus (M) @
/

Ability: Prankster
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Hurricane
- Focus Blast
- U-turn
- Rain Dance

Yes, another offensive Tornadus-I. The main thing that makes this Tornadus different is that it is focused absolutely and completely around Rain (this is basically standard B2W2 Tornadus), meant to spam incredibly powerful Hurricanes under Rain, gaining momentum with U-Turn to get the right Rain sweeper out, and being able to set up Rain manually itself if Politoed goes down with Prankster to allow a final attempt at a Rain-boosted sweep. The latter point is also the reason Tornadus-I is used over Tornadus-T, as Torn-T cannot reliably get up Rain even in the face of priority or extremely fast attackers (even though Tornadus-I falls to Weavile's Ice Shard anyways).

Toxic Tornadus-Therian

Tornadus-Therian (M) @ Assault Vest
Timid Nature
- Hurricane
- Heat Wave/Focus Blast
- Grass Knot
- Toxic
Pretty Standard crap outside of Toxic. Toxic allows it to cripple sp.def talon which is like the 10/10 switch in to it outside of Heatran. Toxic also hits Hippo, Rotom-W, Tank Garchomp, AV Raikou, Sp.def Mega Alt, Mega Slowbro, etc. Heat Wave hits Mega Scizor to prevent set up bs and also hits Skarm, Excadrill, Ferro etc. Focus Miss hits the same except also hits heatran but mega scizor can use torn-t as set up and skarm just sits on it. Grass Knot allows Torn-T to do work on T-tar, Hippo, Reg Slowbro, Azumarill, etc. Stab Hurricane just hurts.
Toxic can't be used while holding an Assault Vest.

SubPetaya Tornadus-I

Tornadus @ Petaya Berry
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Substitute
- Hurricane
- Focus Blast / Heat Wave
- Grass Knot / Sludge Wave / Icy Wind

4 HP EVs allow the Petaya Berry to activate after three Substitutes. Once it does, if priority users, faster threats, and some bulkier walls are gone, Tornadus can attempt a sweep. Focus Blast or Heat Wave prevent Tornadus from being walled by Steel-types and provide strong neutral coverage. The last slot is filler, reserved for moves that 2HKO certain Pokemon (Hippowdon, Clefable, and Landorus-T, respectively) before the Petaya Berry boost.

AD impish john

Consumed by Darkness...
/me plays Rock You Like A Hurricane Voting can start now and will end in 48 Hours! Here are your choices:

Iron Tail Tornadus-T
Tailwind Wallbreaker Tornadus-I
Bulk Up Tornadus-I
Grass Knot Tornadus-T
Lure Tailwind Tornadus-I
Stallbreaker Tornadus-I
Full lure Life Orb Tornadus-T
Tailwind Tornadus-T
Rest Talk Tornadus-I
Substitute Tornadus-T
Toxic Tornadus-T
Rain Dance Tornadus-I
Petaya Berry Tornadus-I

Last edited:
/me plays Rock You Like A Hurricane Voting can start now and will end in 48 Hours! Here are your choices:

Iron Tail Tornadus-T
Tailwind Tornadus-I
<------
Bulk Up Tornadus-I
Grass Knot Tornadus-T
Lure Tailwind Tornadus-I
Stallbreaker Tornadus-I
Full lure Life Orb Tornadus-T
Tailwind Tornadus-T
<------
Rest Talk Tornadus-I
Substitute Tornadus-T
Toxic Tornadus-T
Rain Dance Tornadus-I
Petaya Berry Tornadus-I
I noticed that there are two Tailwind Torn-I's listed among the choices. It would probably be best to clarify which is which.

AD impish john

Consumed by Darkness...
The winner for week 11 goes to Substitute Tornadus-T by BlazeLatias! Congratz for you for entering the Hall of Fame!

The Pokemon for Week 12 is Goodra!

Goodra isn't as great in offense as it's past Pseudo Legends but it is one of the bulkiest of the few. Goodra also has a decent movepool and coverage making a decent Pokemon in teams that need bulk; sadly Goodra doesn't have that great of recovery.​

Albacore

sludge bomb is better than sludge wave
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Goodra @ Choice Specs
Ability: Sap Sipper / Gooey
EVs: 160 HP / 252 SpA / 96 Spe
Modest Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Sludge Bomb
- Fire Blast
- Muddy Water / Hidden Power [Ground] / Focus Blast

Goodra hits surprisingly hard with Choice Specs, and its great offensive coverage and lack of weaknesses brought on by a secondary typing sets it apart from other special Dragon nukes such as Latios, Hydreigon and Dragalge : indeed, Poison+Fire coverage hits everything neutrally bar Heatran, and the final slot is a choice between a move with middling accuracy that 2HKOs Heatran OHKOs Diancie and deals a ton of damage to TTar, a move with perfect accuracy which does more to Heatran but less to Diancie and TTar, and a move with bad accuracy which does just as much to Heatran and Diancie as HP Ground, and OHKOs TTar.

It's still a pretty bulky Pokemon, for instance, it avoids the 2HKO from LO Alakazam, Gengar and Starmie's Ice Beam. It's also faster than people realise and can outspeed most walls, here I gave it enough for standard Rotom, but you can run up to Max Speed Timid to at least tie with Altaria.

Last edited:
Goodra @ Assault Vest
Ability: Sap Sipper
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Adamant Nature
- Outrage
- Iron Tail
- Earthquake
- Power Whip

Some kind of physical tank set. Takes advantage of Serperior, Mega Venusaur, Breloom, Amoonguss, and tries to get an attack boost from them. Outrage is STAB, Iron Tail hits fairies like Clefable, EQ hits Heatran, Power Whip for Azumarill.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)