Project The Next Best Thing - ORAS OU Edition V3 - FINISHED

Status
Not open for further replies.

AD impish john

Consumed by Darkness...
Albacore's Toxic Thundurus is the winner for Week 3! Congrats for you and your Pokemon going into the Hall of Fame for the 3rd time in a row!

The Pokemon for Week 4 is Hoopa-Unbound!

Hoop(l)a-Unbound is huge destructive monster in the OU tier having insane Offensive Stats being as strong as Kyurem-White and great Coverage Moves/Movepool. So make the most insane broken set you can come up with, and maybe it will become literally "The Next Big Thing"! Wish you guys luck ;]​

Albacore

sludge bomb is better than sludge wave
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Specs Hoopa

Hoopa-Unbound @ Choice Specs
Ability: Magician
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Dark Pulse
- Psyshock
- Focus Blast
- Trick

It's basically a lot like LO NP Hoopa, except it sacrifices the ability to switch moves boost up vs stall with higher immediate power and lack of LO Recoil. This makes it more effective against Offense at the cost of being eaker vs Balance. The fact that it can also trick away its item is pretty neat vs Gothitelle stall because it can't be stopped by being tricked a Scarf, since it just tricks it back.

sample calc just to showcase its power : 252 SpA Choice Specs Hoopa Unbound Dark Pulse vs. 0 HP / 0- SpD Mega Diancie: 123-145 (51 - 60.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Last edited:
Unbound can hit from either side, one of the things that makes it such a monster. And if you can go full-special, you can (in theory, at least) go all-physical.

Banded Hoopa
Hoopa-Unbound @ Choice Band
EVs: 252 Atk/4 Def/252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Hyperspace Fury (Edit: was Hole for a moment. Don't want that.)
- Drain Punch
- Gunk Shot
- Ice Punch/Fire Punch

Similar to the above Specs set, but taking advantage of Hoopa's higher Attack stat. Drain Punch allows for recovery and smacks Bisharp/T-Tar as usual, Gunk Shot mauls most Fairies assuming it hits, Ice Punch takes care of Lando-T/Chomp/Gliscor, and Fire Punch devastates Scizor/Ferrothorn/Klefki.

Sample calcs:
252 Atk Choice Band Hoopa-Unbound Hyperspace Fury vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Mega Diancie: 131-155 (54.3 - 64.3%)
252 Atk Choice Band Hoopa-Unbound Fire Punch vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Klefki: 308-364 (96.8 - 114.4%)
252 Atk Choice Band Hoopa-Unbound Gunk Shot vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Keldeo: 249-293 (77 - 90.7%)

Fire Punch Hoopa-Ubound

Hoopa-Unbound @ Life Orb
EVs: 32 HP / 44 Atk / 252 SpA / 176 Spe
Naive Nature
- Dark Pulse
- Psyshock
- Gunk Shot / Drain Punch / Focus Blast
- Fire Punch
The moveset is quite standard, except for Fire Punch, which helps it 2HKO one of its best checks, Klefki

Last edited:
Assault Vest Hoopa-U

Hoopa-Unbound @ Assault Vest
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Drain Punch
- Power-Up Punch
- Zen Headbutt / Gunk Shot
- Hyperspace Fury

With decent 80/130 special defence, assault vest turns Hoopa-U into a surprisingly effective special tank. Once any Hoopa gets on the field something is gonna be taking a ton of damage, and AV grants Hoopa many more switch-in opportunities on special attackers, making it much easier to get in. It can Power-Up Punch on the switch to increase power, making up for the lack of life orb damage, or just nuke stuff with its unresisted dark/psychic/fighting coverage. Drain punch works well in tandem with assault vest, allowing Hoopa to recover HP after taking a hit. Gunk shot can be used over zen headbutt to take on fairies better and only leaves you walled by Toxicroak.

0 SpA Clefable Moonblast vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Assault Vest Hoopa Unbound: 104-126 (34.5 - 41.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

Last edited:
SubCalm Mind Hoopa-U

Hoopa-Unbound @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
IVs: 0 Atk
Timid Nature
- Dark Pulse
- Psyshock
- Calm Mind
- Substitute

General idea: Hoopa-U has the ability to tank some hits on the special side of the spectrum thanks to the base HP and SpD combined and with some EVs investment in the former stat. The idea is to set a Substitute (which can help us to avoid status) and begin set-up 1-2 Calm Minds and then proceed to sweep Stall teams. The dual STABs hit both sides of the spectrum while being both special attacks not affected by burn. Leftovers is for longevity.

EVs: customizable (I'm trying to find a good spread). Max speed plus an enhancing nature is recommended to set-up the Sub to avoid status or the first Calm Mind to boost the SpA and SpD to tank hits better.
N.B. Defensive Mega Venusaur can't break the Sub after a +1 boost in SpD whereas Offensive Mega Venu can do this sometimes with Sludge Bomb.

Teammates: Fighting coverage is recommended such as Reflect/Will o' Wisp support.

Last edited:
Trick Room Hoopa-U
This is Hoopa-Unbound's Trick Room set linked here http://www.smogon.com/dex/xy/pokemon/hoopa-alt/ but with special moves instead of being physical; I think this is a good way to think "out of the box" to discover new options because Psyshock hits on the physical side when needed (Chansey) but I want to ask a question: Does the power difference between Hyperspace Fury and Dark Pulse prevent Hoopa from 2HKO/OHKO some pokemons? Can you post some calcs?
I think that this special version is interesing because between Scald and Will o' Wisp around a not-Fire type physical attacker won't last long but the loss in terms of accuracy of fighting moves is a thing (from 100% to 70%) such as the loss of a Poison-type lure move towards Faeries.

P.S. All Albacore's sets have Trick+Choice Specs and all won ===> I'm really impressed; will somebody be able to post a more effective set than that?

Stallbreaker Hoopa-U

Hoopa-Unbound @ Black Glasses
EVs: 240 HP / 52 Def / 168 SpA / 48 Spe
Modest Nature
- Toxic
- Taunt / Grass Knot
- Focus Blast
- Dark Pulse

This set uses Hoopa's support movepool and 80/130 special bulk to tank hits and shut down walls. Toxic and Taunt are standard stallbreaking tools, while Dark Pulse and Focus Blast provide strong neutral coverage. Grass Knot can be used instead of Taunt to hit Hippowdon and Quagsire super-effectively.

The given EVs allow Hoopa to avoid the 2HKO from Skarmory's Brave Bird and outspeed uninvested base 85s.

Hoopa-Unbound @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Dark Pulse
- Psyshock
- Focus Blast
- Thunder Wave

Thunder Wave does Thunder Wave things...you know, para switch ins, slow things down, hax everyone... You can run with whatever coverage you want, even Grass Knot if you want to hit Hippo which is immune to twave.

Hoopa-Unbound @ Life Orb
Hasty
152 Atk, 104 Sp. Atk, 252 Speed/ 80 Atk, 176 Sp. Atk, 252 Speed
-Substitute
-Knock Off/Hyperspace Fury
-Drain Punch/Fire Punch
-Psychic/Hp Ice

Substitute allows Hoopa to get more than one KO if it can find the opportunity to set up which isn't hard given it's mixed offensive pressure. With a life orb it hits as hard as possible while being able to switch moves and gets recovery from drain punch. I like using the standard dark/fighting/psychic coverage but you can use fire punch or hp ice for specific KO's on ferro/scizor and garchomp/lando. Use knock off it's usually superior to hyperspace fury. The first ev spread is what I normally use to hit hard on the physical side but still get the 2HKO on clefable, garchomp, and lando with Psychic. The 2nd spread gets the KO on chomp and lando with hp ice. This is easily Hoopa's best set as it maintains the offensive pressure that it applies to defensive teams while punishing a misprediction from offensive teams with Substitute.

Special Lure Hoopa-Unbound

Hoopa-Unbound @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 SpA/ 4 SpD/ 252 Spe
Timid Nature
-Thunderbolt
-Hidden Power Fire
-Psyshock
-Dark Pulse

This specially oriented Hoopa-U set runs its two main STABs and two coverage options that nail specific Pokemon that would otherwise switch in and be problematic. Thunderbolt hits defensive threats such as Mandibuzz, Suicune, and SpeDef Skarmory for massive damage. HP Fire has high chances to OHKO the likes of Ferrothorn and Mega Scizor. Psyshock and Dark Pulse basically KO the rest of the meta from there.

HP Fire:

252 SpA Life Orb Hoopa Unbound Hidden Power Fire vs. 252 HP / 168 SpD Ferrothorn: 322-380 (91.4 - 107.9%) -- 43.8% chance to OHKO

252 SpA Life Orb Hoopa Unbound Hidden Power Fire vs. 248 HP / 176 SpD Mega Scizor: 354-421 (103.2 - 122.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Thunderbolt:

252 SpA Life Orb Hoopa Unbound Thunderbolt vs. 248 HP / 108 SpD Mandibuzz: 294-346 (69.5 - 81.7%) -- 50% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

252 SpA Life Orb Hoopa Unbound Thunderbolt vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Suicune: 278-328 (68.8 - 81.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery (Dies after a bit of prior damage)

252 SpA Life Orb Hoopa Unbound Thunderbolt vs. 252 HP / 252 SpD Skarmory: 309-364 (92.5 - 108.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

SubCalm Mind Hoopa-U

Hoopa-Unbound @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
IVs: 0 Atk
Timid Nature
- Dark Pulse
- Psyshock
- Calm Mind
- Substitute

General idea: Hoopa-U has the ability to tank some hits on the special side of the spectrum thanks to the base HP and SpD combined and with some EVs investment in the former stat. The idea is to set a Substitute (which can help us to avoid status) and begin set-up 1-2 Calm Minds and then proceed to sweep Stall teams. The dual STABs hit both sides of the spectrum while being both special attacks not affected by burn. Leftovers is for longevity.

EVs: customizable (I'm trying to find a good spread). Max speed plus an enhancing nature is recommended to set-up the Sub to avoid status or the first Calm Mind to boost the SpA and SpD to tank hits better.
N.B. Defensive Mega Venusaur can't break the Sub after a +1 boost in SpD whereas Offensive Mega Venu can do this sometimes with Sludge Bomb.

Teammates: Fighting coverage is recommended such as Reflect/Will o' Wisp support.
Is there a reason of cm over np? Do the spdef boosts really matter for stallbreaking?

Hoopa-Unbound @ Life Orb
Hasty
152 Atk, 104 Sp. Atk, 252 Speed/ 80 Atk, 176 Sp. Atk, 252 Speed
-Substitute
-Knock Off/Hyperspace Fury
-Drain Punch/Fire Punch
-Psychic/Hp Ice

Substitute allows Hoopa to get more than one KO if it can find the opportunity to set up which isn't hard given it's mixed offensive pressure. With a life orb it hits as hard as possible while being able to switch moves and gets recovery from drain punch. I like using the standard dark/fighting/psychic coverage but you can use fire punch or hp ice for specific KO's on ferro/scizor and garchomp/lando. Use knock off it's usually superior to hyperspace fury. The first ev spread is what I normally use to hit hard on the physical side but still get the 2HKO on clefable, garchomp, and lando with Psychic. The 2nd spread gets the KO on chomp and lando with hp ice. This is easily Hoopa's best set as it maintains the offensive pressure that it applies to defensive teams while punishing a misprediction from offensive teams with Substitute.
Sub + 3 Attacks is the first set listed on the analysis.

Djinn Blocker (Dual Screens Hoopa-U)

Hoopa-Unbound @ Light Clay
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- Gunk Shot / Taunt / Fire Punch
- Reflect
- Light Screen

This set functions similarly to Azelf as a dual screen user, but with significantly more power and special bulk instead of speed. Hoopa also carves its niche as a dual screen user because it gets Knock Off to remove items and apply pressure to the opponent, even without investment. Screens are usually set up when Hoopa forces a switch or can tank a special attack, giving teammates set-up opportunities. Gunk Shot is preferable in the last slot for coverage on Fairies. However, Taunt is useful for shutting down a few slower leads, like Skarmory and Ferrothorn, and occasionally lets Hoopa pivot against walls. If neither are appealing, then Fire Punch also nails both of these Steel types, as well as Mega Scizor and Klefki. Basically, Taunt offers broad utility instead of specific coverage.

EVs are pretty standard for a screens set, maximizing bulk and speed for the best chances to get the screens up.

Last edited:

Hoopa-U | Life Orb | Magician
Hasty | 252 SpA / 4 SDef / 252 Spe
Dark Pulse | Drain Punch | Thunderbolt | Substitute

not actually sure why people are trying to make creative ways for hoopa-u to stallbreak when life orb accomplishes everything by itself. a substitute set was already posted, but i don't like the other moves at all so you can call this special sub over physical sub. basically dark pulse and drain punch are staple moves since stall + balance teams struggle to break past you when using the combo. the third slot has a bunch of options but i personally find thunderbolt to be the best considering the popularity on suicune, manaphy, azumarill, and other bulky waters. you can nail tornadus-t and mandibuzz trying to switch-in and it does a bunch to klefki, m-gard, and m-diancie letting you wear them down through out the match. the only problem with substitute is that you lose to clefable now, so stuff like mega venusaur and mega scizor make great teammates. hoopa-u has a bunch of opportunities to click substitute and ease prediction. the spread is pretty standard and same with life orb. drain punch can heal you up at moments so the combination isn't too counter-productive.

s/o to user hard for using this in a tournament versus me - you could of won with it but you choked :0

Last edited:
Reactions: AM
Is there a reason of cm over np? Do the spdef boosts really matter for stallbreaking?
In my opinion, yes because you can use Substitute to avoid status such as Toxic/Thunder Wave/even Burn which ruin Hoopa-U) and to have better special bulk while boosting our attack prowess. You lose the immediate power boost of Nasty Plot but, in theory, I think this is a way to make the Subs unbreakable from some weaker special attacks.

Last edited:

AD impish john

Consumed by Darkness...
Sorry I'm a little late, I got busy with school and homework :X Voting can start now! (Since I started late, I'll end Voting/Start Week 8 Sunday night)

Specs Hoopa-U
Banded Hoopa-U
Fire Punch Hoopa-Unbound
Assault Vest Hoopa-U
SubCalm Mind Hoopa-U
Trick Room Hoopa-U
Stallbreaker Hoopa-U
T-Wave Hoopa-U
Sub Hoopa-U
Special Lure Hoopa-Unbound
Djinn Blocker (Dual Screens Hoopa-U)
Mixed Sub Hoopa-U

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)