The Next-Gen Volt-Turners (Peaked 25th @ 1640 Elo)

Strangely, this didn't turn out to be much of a Volt-Turn team. Just throught y'all should know that. It did start that way however.
Introduction

So I ended up dying for two months after posting Cesspool Sweepers. In that timespan, Mega-Gardevoir ended up being banned, Bisharp rose to OU, and Analytic Magnezone became a major threat. Upon my return and learning of Magnezone's viability, I decided to immediately build a team to capitalize on its power. This is that team, The Next-Gen Volt-Turners, a team originally designed to abuse Choice Specs Volt Turn from Analytic Magnezone, and use its momentum-grabbing powers to quickly overwhelm teams.

Teambuilding Process

First Edition

other appearances: Lanturn, Tornadus-Therian, Clawitzer​

While it wasn't anything close to pretty, this was the original version of the team after testing an even previous version with kokoloko (won't post it cause I never laddered with it). I'd typically lead matches with Mienshao, see how the first few turns played out, then eventually beat my opponent through quick switches and passive damage (Stealth Rock, Toxic). The disadvantage however, is that Choice Scarf Fire-types absolutely dismatled this team, and any matches against them usually came down to multiple sacrifices to wear Darmanitan down from Flare Blitz recoil, or risk a HJK or Stone Edge miss with Mienshao. It was at this point where I experimented with Lanturn and Clawitzer to help mitigate that weakness and maintain this team's dedication to full Volt-Turn, but neither of them panned out, as their speed really hampered my attempts to build momentum.

Second Edition

Proving to be more successful, the second version of my team was much more defensively sound against opposing Fire-types, as Zygarde really discouraged the use of Flare Blitz. Thanks to its impressive natural bulk, Zygarde became a very effective sweeper once set up and was continuously called upon during the later stages of a match to help clean up the opposing team. The addition of Gardevoir also made dealing with Fighting-types, as well as opposing Dragon-types, all the easier, and it proved to be a very potent revenge-killer. It is rather overwhelming at first, but one you get used to what it's capable of, I doubt there's a better unexpected revenge killer. I wasn't finished however, as now inlay a massive problem with Ice-types, namely SubRoost Kyurem, who's Ice- and Ground-type coverage absolutely wrecked my team and required a lot of prediction to play around. I hit up some friends on #xyuu to see what could really stopgap this issue, and it was quickly resolved. To close, this version would be the beginning of the end of a dedicated Volt-Turn team, like the First Edition was, as I quickly found out that there wasn't enough to choose from in order to make a dedicated Volt-Turn team in Underused. This did inevitably mean that Magnezone, the reason I built this team, would need to be dropped.

Third Edition

other appearances: Mega-Blastoise​

The final version of the team, and to many, it's most potent. Completely straying from the main goal of using constant switching to beat an opponent, this version used moves like U-turn and Volt Switch to assist Hydreigon, Tornadus-Therian and Cobalion in the breaking of walls thus giving Zygarde or Gardevoir clean sweeps. Slowbro looks like a real stick in the mud here, especially since I disfavoured previous slow Pokemon (see Lanturn / Clawitzer in First Edition). However, its much needed bulk helps "glue" the team together, giving me a free switch against a bunch of Physical attackers. Mega-Blastoise was played in Slowbro's spot on occasion, but I was never able to really pick a favourite between the two (I did not run Rapid Spin on Blastoise for the record), and just kept using Slowbro simply because of Regenerator. I am "retiring" this version of the team, as I've hit my cap of 101 matches, and some changes are coming to the Underused tier which will inevitably force my team to undergo massive changes to the point where I'm better off building a new one. The team finished with an overall record of 74-26-1, which is undeniably one of my better records in this tier, and I owe a lot of that to those who helped me with this team. Shoutouts to kokoloko , CoolStoryBrobat , and Ace Emerald for their contributions to the team!

Team At A Glance

Slowbro | Assault Vest
Regenerator | Modest
252 HP | 252 SpA | 4 SpD
Scald | Psyshock | Ice Beam | Fire Blast​

As mentioned, Slowbro really appears to be a stick in the mud on this team; it's significantly slower than the majority of the team, and doesn't pack either U-turn or Volt Switch. Inability to learn such moves aside, Slowbro performed a glue role on this team, giving me a last-minute stopgap to Fighting- and Fire-types hell-bound on destroying my team. Slowbro was also, sadly, my answer to the aforementioned Ice-type issue (that'd be you Kyurem), which performed such a role half-assedly. I actually only ended up running into one Kyurem after adding Slowbro, and it only came out once Zygarde had been set-up and mid sweep. The set here is relatively straightforward; Assault Vest boosts Slowbro's Special Defence making it rather hard to break, Scald performs as STAB with a nifty 30% burn chance, Psyshock being alternate STAB aimed at the likes of Nidoking and Kyurem, Ice Beam was a coverage move designated to hit opposing Zygarde and Haxorus, and Fire Blast was a niche coverage option against stray Steel-type opponents. Usually Jirachi. Saw a lot of those.

Mega-Blastoise did much of the same, but at the end of the day, Slowbro was named the starter. It's not a decision I've really regretted either, as Slowbro's done a lot for this team, and in a pinch, was great sacrificial fodder. My only complaint regarding Slowbro was how crippled it would become after eating an unexpected Knock Off, as the lack of any item effect felt really strange on Slowbro (ie, no Leftovers recovery, inability to really take mid-range Special Attacks). That was probably just me however. Regardless, Slowbro is a great Pokemon, and I hope it's here to stay.

Gardevoir | Choice Scarf
Synchronize | Timid
4 HP | 252 SpA | 252 Spe
Moonblast | Psyshock | Shadow Ball | Thunderbolt​

Fun fact; re-arranging the letters in Gardevoir's name (as well as adding and dropping a few) can spell anti-metagame. I loved using this thing as much as I loved using Mega-Gardevoir once I figured out how to properly use it. By no means is it Scarf Mienshao, it's nowhere's near strong enough to be given that type of acclamation. What it does have however, is Fairy-type STAB, rather solid defensive typing, and a stupid amount of surprise factor. Of course, among the higher-level players, Choice Scarf Gardevoir isn't a surprise. But the wins I'd net against the mid to low-ranked players were typically at the hands of or due to Gardevoir. I ran a mildly unorthodox set, as my team did have needs that needed to be addressed. Moonblast and Psyshock are both staples on any Gardevoir set, as they're both STAB, missing out only on Steel-type Pokemon. Shadow Ball was rarely used as a coverage move, and was typically used to just slap predicted Magnezone and Mega-Aggron switch-ins around before bringing in Hydreigon or Slowbro respectively. Thunderbolt is where I took a step off the beaten and dusty trail, as when I started using Gardevoir, my team had issues breaking past Suicune and Mega Blastoise (things Celebi would typically do). That carried over with the transition to the Third Edition, so I kept Thunderbolt there, and it helped get me out of slimy situations a few times. It was great for smashing opposing Tornadus-Therian in the late game, as they always thought they'd outspeed.

I can't plug this Pokemon enough without seeming like a Rule 34 fanboy, so I'll leave it at this; it's a great Pokemon, definitely worth checking out, and please unban Gardevoirite.

Hydreigon | Life Orb
Levitate | Hasty
4 Atk | 252 SpA | 252 Spe
Draco Meteor | Dark Pulse | Roost | U-turn​

kokoloko has claimed Hydreigon to be one of the most difficult Pokemon to switch into if you don't run a Florges. While I'd say such a statement is a bit over the top, it's not too far past the marker. Hydreigon, save for Cobalion, is the only member from the original team. This is simply because of how much utility is offered in this Pokemon, and that Hippowdon exists. There isn't very much in this tier, besides Chansey, a few Steel-types, and all of the Fairy-types, that appreciate a switch-in to Draco Meteor, which typically chewed off >67% of their total HP and OHKOing countless others. Doing so will usually result in a snide remark on my behalf, but that's because I think I'm funny. Dark Pulse was much in the same, obliterating Jirachi and Metagross switch-ins expecting a Draco Meteor. While they typically wouldn't OHKO (damn you Assault Vest!), they'd send them packing, as odds are I outsped, and they figured they needed either of those Pokemon for later in a match. Roost is an excellent move on Hydreigon, since it gets worn down rather quickly from Life Orb recoil and switching due to the special attack drops brought about by Draco Meteor. U-turn, while it usually did ~40% to whatever it hit super effectively, is a shit move but great for grabbing momentum. Makes Umbreon switch-ins look like a bad play at least.

And I do deeply apologize for those snide remarks, they were highly uncalled for and it made me look like an autistic six year old with Tourette's (apologies to autistic six-year-olds with Tourette's everywhere). Disclaimer: if you bitched about hax in our match, the above statement is void for you. Get fucked. On a side-note, I'm rather disappointed that this thing was nominated to be banned (and most likely will be), but I'm not surprised either. Dark-types haven't fared well in XY UU beta as of late, or at all.

Cobalion | Leftovers
Justified | Jolly
4 HP | 252 Atk | 252 Spe
Close Combat | Iron Head | Stealth Rock | Volt Switch​

Another one of those gluemons, Cobalion wasn't initially on the original beta version of the team (the one that got stomped by kokoloko). It quickly found its way onto the team however once I remembered that it got Stealth Rock, Volt Switch, and could beat Florges. Many of my fellow #xyuu-goers think that Cobalion is old news now that Bisharp is gone, but it's still great for being a tosser and for eating stray Knock Offs. I'd call this a rather standard set, with close Combat and Iron Head providing Cobalion with two excellent offensive STAB moves. Both of these moves handily destroy Chansey and Florges, which was a huge boon to my team. Stealth Rock and Volt Switch, as mentioned, were the main selling points to using Cobalion, as it gave my team a source of Entry Hazards, and maintained the team's original goal of being a dedicated Volt-Turn team. Not a lot to say here; I liked using Cobalion, but I hated it at the same time, as it never hit hard enough without a Swords Dance or Justified boost. There wasn't much else that did what Cobalion had to and take the abuse that it did, so no regrets there.

I have nothing witty or clever to say here unfortunately, just to further demonstrate my apathetic mindset to using Cobalion. However, I hate how smug this fucker looks. Looks way too French too; that white mane-like beard thing practically screams white flag. Those horns are essentially baguettes too. Hon hon hon baguette Eiffel Tower we surrender!

Tornadus-Therian | No Item
Regenerator | Jolly
252 Atk | 4 SpD | 252 Spe
Acrobatics | Knock Off | Taunt | U-turn​

I couldn't tell you how many times that this set has resulted in me being called a gutless prick or something along the lines of it (thrice I think, other people just appreciate it for what it is). This set was suggested by kokoloko and I've honestly never looked back on it. It does everything you need a Tornadus-Therian to do; shit on Heracross, shit on Stealth Rock users, and shit on things holding an item. Mine had the advantage of adding to the whole Volt-Turn idea the team was originally build upon. The advantage to running no item on this thing is to give myself something to eat Knock Offs and for Acrobatics to be at full power right off the bat (until Flying Gem becomes a thing). Speaking of which, Acrobatics is a great STAB move (rather powerful), and it catches a lot of people off-guard, as most run Air Slash. Knock Off makes dealing with bulkier opponents significantly easier, removing their residual HP restoration. It also did a number to the likes of Mew, which I saw a lot. Taunt, on the topic of Mew, really, and I mean REALLY, shat on a lot of Stealth Rock users, namely Mew and Hippowdon. It's almost startling that so few people know that Tornadus gets Taunt; it gives this Pokemon so much utility, there's almost no excuse to not be running it. U-turn, as mentioned, preserves momentum on my side, and gave me a free switch to a Pokemon of my choice.

I hear talk of a lot of people claiming this thing is broken, and I'm seriously confused as to why. It's an alright Pokemon; it does it's job and then dies usually. I've never found myself saying "oh gee whiz, thank god I have Tornadus-Therian to wreck his Magnezone / Mega-Ampharos / generic Electric-type (seeing that the damn things are actually all over the place)". I feel that the tier is more than prepared to handle Tornadus-Therian, so why all the butthurt opinions regarding it? Someone wanna clarify that for me?

Zygarde | Leftovers
Aura Break | Adamant
160 HP | 252 Atk | 96 Spe
Dragon Dance | Outrage | Earthquake | Extreme Speed​

Speaking of butthurt, and arguably the most broken Pokemon on this team, Zygarde is probably my new favourite Pokemon. Simply because of what it was able to accomplish. Zygarde was the first non-dedicated Volt-Turn Pokemon to be suggested for the team, and I added it reluctantly. Whatever I was afraid of doing was seriously misinformed, Zygarde is a fantastic Pokemon (albeit its offensive movepool is for the most part shit). I was initially using a max/max spread, but after having talked to a fellow Zygarde enthusiast on the ladder, I opted to run a set like this; the EVs will allow Zygarde to outspeed Tornadus-Therian at +1, and some of its magnificent bulk is maintained. Dragon Dance was really the crux to the set, as it allowed me to set up on opposing Darmanitan or Victini locked into Flare Blitz or V-Create respectively, then start curbstomping the opposing team with insanely powerful Outrages and Earthquakes. Both of those moves functioned as STAB, and were a major reason as to why I won as many matches as I did. Neat tidbit of information here, but 252 / 252+ Florges don't like switching into +1 Earthquakes after just having taken Stealth Rock damage. Its lack of Dragon claw or any other physical Dragon move besides Dragon Tail sucked however. Extreme Speed was Zygarde's only 'real' option against opponents like Zapdos or Tornadus-Therian if the opposing team still had a full-HP Steel-type in the wings, and needed to be at either +2 or +3 to get into OHKO range. Besides that, Zygarde is a great Pokemon and a very potent sweeper. Thanks to the support on this team, it found its way to be a force worth reckoning with, and I'm glad for that.

Please don't ban this thing. I like green Pokemon, and so far, a lot of things to have left XY UU have been green in one way or another.

Conclusion
I like this team, and even if Hydreigon doesn't get banned (sounds like the vote is gonna be pretty close), I'll probably keep it retired. The metagame is about to shift, and there's not a lot of small changes that could be made to keep pace with those changes. Steal it, modify it, do as you please. XY UU is a very broad tier at the moment and if this team means you get a good crack at the ladder, then I'm glad to have helped. Until the next three months between RMTs, thanks for reading!

Last edited:
u have no item on tornadus-t
try using an assault vest. ;) that'll probably make it the most broken pokemon on your team.

u have no item on tornadus-t
try using an assault vest. ;) that'll probably make it the most broken pokemon on your team.
Hey thanks for the reply.

Tornados-Therian actually has no item for a reason; it weakens opposing Knock Offs and makes Acrobatics immediately powerful. Thanks for the suggestion though.

This is honestly one of the best UU teams around. It has very nice synergy, and is quite hard to break through. This said, pokemon such as Magnezone and Mega Manectric tear your team apart due to their exceptional coverage and sheer power. On top of this, powerful ice types such as Cloyster and the rare Mega-Abomasnow can pick this team apart as well especially if they can find a way to set up (primarily against DD Zygarde or a -2 Hydreigon).

To start, I highly recommend running Pivot Mega Ampharos over Hydreigon on your team. With volt switch, it still carries the utility of momentum, but it more reliably switches into the aforementioned threats of Magnezone and Manectric, while also having the necessary bulk your team needs to absorb other threatning electric type attacks. This said, it continues to maintain a similar coverage to your hydreigon, but as a whole is a more reliable pivot to potentially beat the threats to your team previously mentioned.

In order to deal better with your Ice Weakness and your ability to revenge such threats, have you considered changing Scarf Gardevoir to Scarf Darmanitan? While it is much more easily worn down, it is quicker, hits harder, resists ice, and gains access to the valuable momentum gaining U-Turn, which is consistently important for a VoltTurn team like yours. This is definitely more suitable in that position, and I highly reccomend it.
Footnote:
If you do plan on continuing to run Scarf Gardevoir, you should definitely run Trick or Healing Wish over shadow ball, since it doesn't significantly add to Gardevoir's coverage, while Trick and Healing Wish respectively can be critically important to clutching you wins when you thought you had lost the game.

Great team!

Ampharos @ Ampharosite
Ability: Static
EVs: 88 Spd / 168 HP / 252 SAtk
Modest Nature
- Thunderbolt / Heal Bell / Toxic
- Volt Switch
- Dragon Pulse
- Focus Blast

Darmanitan @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 SDef
Jolly Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Rock Slide
- Superpower / Earthquake
- U-turn

This is honestly one of the best UU teams around. It has very nice synergy, and is quite hard to break through. This said, pokemon such as Magnezone and Mega Manectric tear your team apart due to their exceptional coverage and sheer power. On top of this, powerful ice types such as Cloyster and the rare Mega-Abomasnow can pick this team apart as well especially if they can find a way to set up (primarily against DD Zygarde or a -2 Hydreigon).

To start, I highly recommend running Pivot Mega Ampharos over Hydreigon on your team. With volt switch, it still carries the utility of momentum, but it more reliably switches into the aforementioned threats of Magnezone and Manectric, while also having the necessary bulk your team needs to absorb other threatning electric type attacks. This said, it continues to maintain a similar coverage to your hydreigon, but as a whole is a more reliable pivot to potentially beat the threats to your team previously mentioned.

In order to deal better with your Ice Weakness and your ability to revenge such threats, have you considered changing Scarf Gardevoir to Scarf Darmanitan? While it is much more easily worn down, it is quicker, hits harder, resists ice, and gains access to the valuable momentum gaining U-Turn, which is consistently important for a VoltTurn team like yours. This is definitely more suitable in that position, and I highly reccomend it.
Footnote:
If you do plan on continuing to run Scarf Gardevoir, you should definitely run Trick or Healing Wish over shadow ball, since it doesn't significantly add to Gardevoir's coverage, while Trick and Healing Wish respectively can be critically important to clutching you wins when you thought you had lost the game.

Great team!

Ampharos @ Ampharosite
Ability: Static
EVs: 88 Spd / 168 HP / 252 SAtk
Modest Nature
- Thunderbolt / Heal Bell / Toxic
- Volt Switch
- Dragon Pulse
- Focus Blast

Darmanitan @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 SDef
Jolly Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Rock Slide
- Superpower / Earthquake
- U-turn
I'm a big fan of the Mega-Ampharos suggestion, and I'm willing to try it out. However, Darmanitan I feel isn't the best suggestion for my Ice-type weakness. You mentioned Cloyster as an issue for this team, which it is, but Darmanitan won't be solving that issue anytime soon (it does help against Mega-Abomasnow however). I'm also not a huge fan of Darmanitan anyways, simply because of how quickly it gets worn down, which you mentioned. I'm also really big on having Scarf Gardevoir on this team, especially with Salamence around, as it discourages the use of Outrage and makes playing around it much easier. I'll probably take your suggestion and play around with Trick on Gardevoir however.

I'm a big fan of the Mega-Ampharos suggestion, and I'm willing to try it out. However, Darmanitan I feel isn't the best suggestion for my Ice-type weakness. You mentioned Cloyster as an issue for this team, which it is, but Darmanitan won't be solving that issue anytime soon (it does help against Mega-Abomasnow however). I'm also not a huge fan of Darmanitan anyways, simply because of how quickly it gets worn down, which you mentioned. I'm also really big on having Scarf Gardevoir on this team, especially with Salamence around, as it discourages the use of Outrage and makes playing around it much easier. I'll probably take your suggestion and play around with Trick on Gardevoir however.
Alright, but still I don't see Shadow Ball as useful and Reccomend the switch to Trick or Healing Wish as Shadow Ball doesn't add to Gardevoir's relavant coverage.

YABO

King Turt
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Hey man, great team obviously. I don't have many suggestions that could be relevant to you but I actually am currently running a pretty similar team with a lot of the same 'mons (celebi, torn, hydreigon, zone, cobalion) and I was wondering how you deal with some of the top tier threats such as +1,+1 Mence who can set up on a weak shadow ball or tbolt from Garde after a revenge kill late game and clean up the rest of your weakened team. This seems especially true if Mence carries no Fire Blast and dual dragon stab so it can avoid locking itself into Outrage. I'm probably missing something painfully obvious but just a thought that I had.

Hey man, great team obviously. I don't have many suggestions that could be relevant to you but I actually am currently running a pretty similar team with a lot of the same 'mons (celebi, torn, hydreigon, zone, cobalion) and I was wondering how you deal with some of the top tier threats such as +1,+1 Mence who can set up on a weak shadow ball or tbolt from Garde after a revenge kill late game and clean up the rest of your weakened team. This seems especially true if Mence carries no Fire Blast and dual dragon stab so it can avoid locking itself into Outrage. I'm probably missing something painfully obvious but just a thought that I had.
I've never actually ran into a Dragon Dance Salamence yet. My only plan for dealing with it would be hoping that Slowbro is at or near full health (needs to be at ~74% at the very least). If that Salamence refuses to Outrage, it cannot OHKO Slwobro, and will in turn be OHKOed by Ice Beam. If it realizes it must Outrage and chooses to do so, Gardevoir can then come in.

+1 252 Atk Life Orb Salamence Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Slowbro: 201-238 (51 - 60.4%) -- 90.2% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
+1 252 Atk Life Orb Salamence Dragon Claw vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Slowbro: 242-286 (61.4 - 72.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
+1 252 Atk Life Orb Salamence Outrage vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Slowbro: 363-426 (92.1 - 108.1%) -- 50% chance to OHKO

If I find that same Salamence at +2 however, I need Slowbro at 97% HP or higher, otherwise Dragon Claw will then KO my weakened Slowbro.

+2 252 Atk Life Orb Salamence Dragon Claw vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Slowbro: 321-380 (81.4 - 96.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
+2 252 Atk Life Orb Salamence Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Slowbro: 269-317 (68.2 - 80.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
+2 252 Atk Life Orb Salamence Outrage vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Slowbro: 484-569 (122.8 - 144.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO

I actually never noticed how much of a threat Dragon Dance Salamence is to my team. I've typically only played Scarf sets, and they're much easier to play around, as it then becomes all about responding to the move they've chosen. This is probably because this team was built during a totally different stage of the metagame, and is now trying to adapt to survive in this new one. I've given some thought, and on recommendation as per kokoloko and Limitless, to use the Standard Bulky Slowbro set over my current Assault Vest one so that I can have a defensive pivot to better help against Pokemon like Salamence and Cloyster. I'm probably going to use this change, and was just seeing if any other suggestions were out there. Thanks for pointing that out.

I'm not really versed enough in XY UU to give a rate, but as for the thing about Hydreigon being the hardest thing to switch in to I would have to agree with kokoloko. I ran a life orb set of Draco / Superpower / Dark Pulse / Steel Wing with max SpA, Mild Nature, enough speed to outrun jolly Cloyster and the rest thrown in attack, and NOTHING switched into it. It served as a great lure for Florges and Chansey and at little sacrifice.

132 Atk Life Orb Hydreigon Steel Wing vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Florges: 213-252 (59.1 - 70%)

Yeah..

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)