The NU Frontier - NU RMT (peaked #1)

Introduction:
Team "The NU Frontier"

I don't have a big ass picture for this team because I chose not to, not because I can't think of anything clever to name the team.

Anyway, this team is made to destroy common tactics as well as be usable against less common tactics. For example, common tactics such as "Use the broken Fire-types" will fail against this team because of my surefire Stealth Rock user and Walrein. "Use Skuntank to stop Ghosts / Espeon + sweep with a fighting type" also does not work since I have SubLO Haunter which almost assuredly lures and destroys Skuntank. Weather and Trick Room teams are handled by Walrein and switching because of Protect.

This team's general strategy is to dismantle the opponent's core, and then clean up with SubCM Espeon.

Without further adieu....

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
The NU Frontier

Gligar (M) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Hyper Cutter
EVs: 4 HP/252 Atk/252 Spd
Jolly nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Taunt
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Toxic
---

Summary: After a long process I finally decided that Gligar is was the best choice for my lead situation since no other Pokemon was as fast with Taunt + Stealth Rock. It helps me inflict Toxic to bulky Water-types early game to give Sharpedo and edge in addition to the easy Stealth Rock it provides. Stealth Rock early game means I can abuse the shit out of Sharpedo which gains at least 15 OHKOes from it.

Moveset: Obviously the move functions are self explanatory, but I will quickly go over why I chose these moves over others. Toxic in particular was more useful to me than any coverage move since I'm using a Jolly nature. People often send in Sandslash or a Water-type to deal with Gligar, and Gligar can really do nothing about it. Toxic gives me an early game edge against bulkier Pokemon. Earthquake is there for STAB and revenge killing Skuntank and Magmortar. Taunt stops early Stealth Rock - every turn without Stealth Rock helps.

EVs, Nature, and Item: Max/Max pretty straightforward. Focus Sash allows me to beat Typhlosion leads. Debating switching to Leftovers or Lum Berry. Leftovers is tempting because I have a slight LO Manectric weakness.

Walrein (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 240 HP/16 SAtk/252 SDef
Calm nature (+SDef, -Atk)
- Protect
- Encore
- Surf
- Toxic
---

Summary: This thing is an absolute beast I have no idea why no one else uses it. I'm pretty sure as soon as the people I battled saw how good it was, at least a few of them started using it (Lumin for example :D). Walrein is my Fire-type check, Water-type check, and general all-around counter for everything. It takes like 20% from Typhlosion's Scarf Eruption. Nothing can set up on it. Toxicroak and Venusaur don't exist in this tier, so Toxic + Surf is a good combination. It helps me stall vs Rain and Sun as well. Thick Fat Walrein > Stallrein it's the truth.

Moveset: Surf is for STAB, beating Fire-types, and so on. Encore, Toxic, and Protect are an absolutely brutal combination. Few Pokemon can beat Walrein 1v1 simply because of this combination. Encore also has perks like not allowing Walrein to become set up bait.

EVs, Nature, and Item: Leftovers number in HP, max SpD for taking Eruptions, and Leftovers for survivability.

Magneton @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 252 Spd/252 SAtk/4 SDef
Modest nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Flash Cannon
- Explosion
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ground]
---

Summary: Magneton is a nice Electric resist for my team; otherwise I'd be weak after Gligar falls. It's steel and electric typing are absurdly helpful in this metagame, it allows Magneton to switch into various attacks, outspeed, and OHKO many Pokemon. It's main goal is to remove the odd steel-types that may be in Espeon's way.

Moveset: Thunderbolt for main STAB. Flash Cannon 2HKOes Gligar and Sandslash (and OHKOes Golem and others). HP Ground lets me destroy opposing Magneton and Probopass. Tip for offense: if a Pokemon learns Explosion, USE IT.

EVs, Nature, and Item: Modest is needed for 2HKOes on Pokemon such as Sandslash and Gligar as well as various other bulky Pokemon. It outspeeds Espeon anyway and there is no Dugtrio to outspeed.

Sharpedo (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 252 Atk/176 Spd/80 SAtk
Lonely nature (+Atk, -Def)
- Aqua Jet
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Crunch
- Hydro Pump
---

Summary: Fuck yea Sharpedo. It literally walks all over this tier, anything that gets damaged at all will likely be 2HKOed by this beast at worst. It is a general wall breaker and clean up sweeper; it destroys everything from Slowking to Scarf Magmortar.

Moveset: I'm pretty sure I made this set up, so I'll explain each move. For the most part, I just spam Crunch because it 2HKOes like everything. What it doesn't 2HKO will be KOed by HP Grass or Hydro Pump. I use Hydro Pump because it lets me fuck with Luxray and other Intimidate users. It also nets the OHKO on Sandslash which is helpful as it allows me to avoid Rapid Spin. Aqua Jet is strong off of a 372 Attack stat (not including Life Orb). It OHKOes Magmortar, Charizard, and Typhlosion after Stealth Rock among other things.

EVs, Nature, and Item: 80 SpA allows me to 2HKO Luxray, so after I dumped all my EVs maxing Attack for Crunch and Aqua Jet, I just invested 176 in Speed to outpace base 85's such as Gligar, Pinsir, and all of the base 80s.

Haunter (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
Timid nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Shadow Ball
- Sludge Bomb
- Substitute
- Hidden Power [Ground]
---

Summary: Haunter is perfect for this team and for the metagame. I have been using SubLO Haunter since the start of NU and I have no clue why it is still anti-metagame. It does an exceptional job at luring out Espeon's counters.

Moveset: All of the moves are self explanatory except maybe HP Ground. HP Ground hits Magneton and most importantly: Skuntank. I'm fairly certain Ì have perfect coverage with these three moves and anything that resists Sludge Bomb and Shadow Ball is hit super effectively by Hidden Power Ground.

EVs, Nature, and Item: Life Orb and max SpA grant awesome Special Attacking power, while max Speed with a Timid nature is quite fast in this metagame, outpacing base 90s such as Venomoth.

Espeon (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 4 HP/252 Spd/252 SAtk
Timid nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Calm Mind
- Signal Beam
- Psychic
- Substitute
---

Summary: Espeon is my late game cleaner or simply just something to put an end to the match. Espeon is pretty broken, it sets up on so many of NU's top threats, its counters are so easy to remove, and it's cool looking.

Moveset: Calm Mind and Substitute are for each other since Toxic and Thunder Wave are otherwise the only surefire way to beat it (besides a Specially bulky mon with strong physical attacks - not common in this metagame). Psychic is for STAB, but Signal Beam helps with various dark-types such as Shiftry, Sharpedo, and finishing off Skuntank.

EVs, Nature, and Item: 4 HP Grants a Lefties number, otherwise max/max.
Yea so rate it and stuff.

Ice-eyes

Simper Fi
You made #1? Congrats for finally knocking Leman off his perch. Great team, as well.

Despite having two resists and one immunity, your team is actually pretty Fighting-weak. Gligar can't take repeated Close Combats from Primeape, Haunter is not going to like switching in on U-Turn to Skuntank, and Espeon is easily 2HKOd by CC. If something like Medicham weakens your team first, I suspect you really struggle. Ape can easily come in on Walrein's Protect or Encore and Sharpedo's Crunch (though I admit it takes a lot of damage).

I can also see you having problems with Sub Espeon. It destroys Magneton with HP Ground, and +1 or Life Orbed Psychic 2HKOs Walrein after SR (don't quote me on this).

I'm not sure what to suggest to patch up these issues - Slowking would have done pretty nicely, but it's UU and I really like the look of that Walrein set.

PK Gaming

Persona 5
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Congrats on peaking #1!!!

Even better you don't run generic standards so even better.

Maybe you can run more bulk on Gligar (252/252 Impish). There isn't anything worthwhile outspeeding in NU save for Magmortar who you can *somewhat* play around it.

You made #1? Congrats for finally knocking Leman off his perch. Great team, as well.

Despite having two resists and one immunity, your team is actually pretty Fighting-weak. Gligar can't take repeated Close Combats from Primeape, Haunter is not going to like switching in on U-Turn to Skuntank, and Espeon is easily 2HKOd by CC. If something like Medicham weakens your team first, I suspect you really struggle. Ape can easily come in on Walrein's Protect or Encore and Sharpedo's Crunch (though I admit it takes a lot of damage).
Primape cannot switch in on anything except Protect from Walrein (I can Protect to see which move it uses and Crunch + Aqua Jet KOes), in which case I only have to predict once or twice a match when facing it.

Congrats on peaking #1!!!

Even better you don't run generic standards so even better.

Maybe you can run more bulk on Gligar (252/252 Impish). There isn't anything worthwhile outspeeding in NU save for Magmortar who you can *somewhat* play around it.
I cannot drop the Speed because then I let Pokemon such as Pinsir set up Stealth Rock for free.

[IMG said:
http://www.legendarypokemon.net/images/dp_artwork/82.png[/IMG]
Magneton @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Magnet Pull
Naive nature (+Spe, -SpD)
- Flash Cannon
- Explosion
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ground]
---

Summary: Magneton is a nice Electric resist for my team; otherwise I'd be weak after Gligar falls. It's steel and electric typing are absurdly helpful in this metagame, it allows Magneton to switch into various attacks, outspeed, and OHKO many Pokemon. It's main goal is to remove the odd steel-types that may be in Espeon's way.

Moveset: Thunderbolt for main STAB. Flash Cannon 2HKOes Gligar and Sandslash (and OHKOes Golem and others). HP Ground lets me destroy opposing Magneton and Probopass. Tip for offense: if a Pokemon learns Explosion, USE IT.

EVs, Nature, and Item: Modest is needed for 2HKOes on Pokemon such as Sandslash and Gligar as well as various other bulky Pokemon. It outspeeds Espeon anyway and there is no Dugtrio to outspeed.
This just a little suggestion on the nature, Naive raises your spe and makes sure explosions atk isnt lowered

btw, Congratz on placing 1st on the ladder

Ice-eyes

Simper Fi
Rash could be viable, but I don't think a +Spe nature is necessary. Magneton only really needs 180 Speed EVs, enough to beat Jolly Persian and Floatzel. The rest can go into Attack or bulk, both of which would significantly benefit Magneton.

PK Gaming

Persona 5
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
But wouldn't Rash simpl be the better choice? Sure you lose Special defense... Not like Magneton had any in the first place. The modest Explosion is simply to weak imo.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)