Other The official pokemon top 10s! [CHECK POST 240]

Status
Not open for further replies.
latest-1.jpg

The Official Pokemon Top 10s!

Pokemon is an extremely versatile game, with a ton of options. You're constantly making decisions, if it's between Charmander, Squirtle, Bulbasaur or if it's between Gunkshot or Low kick on Greninja people tend to have different opinions, although this can be solved in a simple way... voting. So that's what we're going to do, together. This is of course not as educational, but I do believe it gives discussion opportunities.

Q&A

Was this approved:
Screen Shot 2015-01-15 at 8.35.35 PM.png

Why is your grammar so bad?

I'm from Norway, I understand English perfectly and I usually never struggle. But sometimes I tend to write to fast and please, please don't post a comment about it. PM me so I can answer your question and fix it, the last thread was filled with grammar corrections and it was rather tasteless.

Why are you posting this on a thursday?

Good question, you handsome devil, I've been in a rush to get this approved and for this first week and this first week only it will last until Saturday next week

What should I do if I have a question?

You should PM me on the forums, not showdown, and I'll answer the question and possibly edit the thread to make it better to understand, all feedback is greatly appreciated!

I found a loophole!!!

Woah there, let's calm it down. I'm sure there's plenty of things I've forgotten and I'd really hate if the chat is filled with anything else besides what this thread is about!

I reverse searched your banner and it's stolen!

I found the banner on google and I'm looking for a new banner!

What's the point of this thread?

This thread is mostly for fun, and to keep the community together. And it might also give us an idea on what the general community, not just the top players, consider as the best [Insert this weeks nomination]

Procedure:

So this is how we'll do this. Every saturday a top 10 will be posted. The community will then post their nominations and cast their vote. Voting will be open at any time but you can no longer suggest pokemon after friday.

Rules
  1. When nominating a nominee make sure to include a short summary explaining why your nomination deservers to win​
  2. Be serious, don't make silly suggestions since they will be ignored/deleted​
  3. Have fun!​

Week 1: Top 10 OU stallbreakers!
With offense being the dominant team style in the current metagame, a lot of teams focus merely on trying to cover as many offensive threats as possible. However, those teams can easily be walled cold by common stall teams, and if you too find yourself having no way of beating stall, you can try using an effective stallbreaker on your team. A stallbreaker, you ask? Yes, there are actually some Pokemon that can deal with stall teams if not prepared for properly!

Post your nominations below, keep it serious!

Last edited:
Ok, now I'm nominating Taunt - SD Talon (Will write up soon
Once I'm done shuffling through my 300 avatars)

Talonflame @ Leftovers
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe / 4 SpD
Jolly Nature
- Brave Bird
- Taunt / Will-O-Wisp
- Roost
- Swords Dance

SD Talonflame is one of the best checks to M-Sableye, being immune to Will-O-Wisp and being able to set up faster than it can using Swords Dance. Talonflame is also the second fastest user of Taunt, after M-Aerodactyl, which uses a Mega slot. Talonflame also has ways to boost its Attack and has amazing priority. Be wary of Stealth Rocks however. Talonflame is extremely weak to them and needs a Defogger or Rapid Spinner to be effective.
I apologize that this is so short, there really isn't a lot more to write.

Last edited:

SketchUp

Don't let your memes be dreams
Mega Gyarados is a pretty interesting stallbreaker because of Mold Breaker. Mold Breaker helps Mega Gyarados past 2 issues: Unaware and Magic Bounce. Besides stuff like Chesnaught, Clear Smog Amoonguss and Mega Altaria, nothing can take on Mega Gyarados reliable
Mold Breaker in combination with Taunt helps Gyarados past Mega Sableye's Magic Bounce and this makes him one of the few reliable stallbreakers left as stuff like Stallbreaker Mew became really bad. With Mold Breaker you can also get past Unaware Quagsire and Unaware Clefable.

How does stall handle Mega Gyarados?
A. Counters
Chesnaught
+2 252+ Atk Mold Breaker Mega Gyarados Waterfall vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Chesnaught: 102-121 (26.8 - 31.8%) -- 43% chance to 4HKO after Leftovers recovery
0 Atk Chesnaught Drain Punch vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Mega Gyarados: 158-188 (47.7 - 56.7%) -- 87.5% chance to 2HKO

Mega Altaria
+1 252+ Atk Mold Breaker Mega Gyarados Waterfall vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Mega Altaria: 83-98 (23.4 - 27.6%) -- guaranteed 4HKO after Stealth Rock
0 SpA Pixilate Mega Altaria Hyper Voice vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Mega Gyarados: 218-258 (65.8 - 77.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

Tangrowth

+1 252+ Atk Mold Breaker Mega Gyarados Crunch vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Tangrowth: 153-180 (37.9 - 44.6%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
0 SpA Tangrowth Giga Drain vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Mega Gyarados: 140-168 (42.2 - 50.7%) -- 94.9% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock

B. Wearing it down
Getting your hazards up, toxic mega gyarados and wear it down with leech seed really helps against Mega Gyarados. Problem is that Mega Gyarados often finds the opportunity to set up on something like Mega Sableye or Skarmory by taunting it first turn and then Dragon Dance on the switch. The best bet you have is to burn Mega Gyarados. As Will-O-Wisp is shut down by Taunt you have to rely on Scald and Lava Plume burns. The only Lava Plume user in stall is Heatran, who is OHKOd by +1 Waterfall and the scald users are Slowbro, Alomomola, Suicune and Tentacruel. Slowbro loses 75% of the time against a +1 Crunch after rocks, so it has to be mega and get the 30% burn chance. Suicune can live 2 +1 Crunches, but only has 2 chances to scald burn: 50% chance. Alomomola can force a 50/50 as it can Toxic and hope Gyara goes for an attack, or go directly for Scald. Even if Alomomola wins the 50/50, it still only has 50% chance to burn.

Stall only has a few reliable counters to Mega Gyarados. Playing around Mega Gyarados with scald burns, hazards damage and other chip damage is almost impossible. You will probably defeat Mega Gyarados if you can scald burn it, but only Suicune and Alomomola can tank 2 hits and have to rely on the 30% burn chance to win. If they don't get the burn chance it is often gg. When paired up with Healing Wish / Heal Bell support, Mega Gyarados can try to sweep another time even if it got burned another time so even in this situation stall is pretty much dead if it doesn't pack Mega Altaria, Chesnaught or Tangrowth.

Last edited:

Clone

Free Gliscor
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Gimme Lure Heatran

Heatran @ Power Herb
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Magma Storm
- Solar Beam
- Earth Power / Taunt
- Flash Cannon

This is probably my favorite (albeit least used) Heatran set out there. The aim of this set is to lure in bulky Waters, trap them with Magma Storm, and promptly obliterate them with Solar Beam. This works especially well when the opponent has a Quagsire, (Mega) Slowbro, or Suicune on their team. Additionally, this set is a great answer to Sableye, as Sab can't touch this, and it risks giving tran a boost with wisp thanks to Flash Fire. Heatran can then trap the Sab or w/e switch in with Magma Storm, and proceed to kill it thanks to the residual damage provided. Taunt can be used over Earth Power to better stall break against annoying things like Cresselia or Chansey, tho you then become walled by opposing Heatran.

Last edited:

Aerodactyl @ Aerodactylite
Ability: Tough Claws
EVs: 248 Atk / 44 Def / 216 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Roost
- Aerial Ace
- Aqua Tail / Earthquake
- Taunt

Simply put, Mega Aerodactyl is the fastest non-Prankster Taunt user. Mega Aerodactyl, in my opinion, is arguably the best stallbreaker in the tier for a couple of reasons. First off, it's got reliable recovery, something that many other stallbreakers, such as Heatran and Mega Gyarados, lack. This easily lets it play around Chansey, Clefable, and non-Gyro Ball Ferrothorn, and stops them from being able to gradually wear you down while you're supposed to be stopping them from stalling. Furthermore, it's got great offensive presence and coverage thanks to its great movepool and access to Tough Claws (for comparison, it hits harder than Mega Gyarados and Heatran). To top this off, it has a very underrated defensive typing giving it only 4 weaknesses and many resistances as well as an immunity, something most stallbreakers can't match.

Last edited:

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Gimme Lure Heatran

Heatran @ Power Herb
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Magma Storm
- Solar Beam
- Earth Power / Taunt
- Flash Cannon

This is probably my favorite (albeit least used) Heatran set out there. The aim of this set is to lure in bulky Waters, trap them with Magma Storm, and promptly obliterate them with Solar Beam. This works especially well when the opponent has a Quagsire, (Mega) Slowbro, or Suicune on their team. Additionally, this set is a great answer to Sableye, as Sab can't touch this, and it risks giving tran a boost with wisp thanks to Flash Fire. Heatran can then trap the Sab or w/e switch in with Magma Storm, and proceed to kill it thanks to the residual damage provided. Taunt can be used over Earth Power to better stall break against annoying things like Cresselia or Chansey, tho you then become walled by opposing Heatran.
You can't trap Sableye because Ghosts are immune to trapping.

SketchUp

I think you have to consider Mega Sableye when making a nomination. Mega Sableye is probably in the top 3 most common pokemon in stall and taunt users like Gliscor lost viability because of Magic Bounce. This of course doesn't apply if the stallbreaker beats Mega Sableye so it can Taunt the other 5 mons without drawbacks (like Mega Gardevoir and SD Talon) but when looking at Mega Aerodactyl as a stallbreaker, it loses against Sableye 1v1. It would not be a big issue if Mega Sableye was not used much, but it is the most used mega last month so you can't just ignore this.

God bless garde-murica.

*insert sexy af XY sprite here cause F#ck phones

Gardevoir @ Gardevoirite
Ability: Trace
EVs: 24 Def / 232 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Psyshock
- Focus Blast
- Taunt

Taunt+Gardevoir's overall decent speed stat allows it to stop hazard/ status moves, which go for most of a stall team's damage output. hyper voice is an insanely powerful and reliable STAB move, with few types resisting it. Focus blast, while having decently terrible acc still allows gardevoir to kill off the prominent steel-types, who would otherwise wall this set. Psyshock allows for the bopping of the poison types who resist both focus blast+hyper voice, and it's ability allows it to hit heavy special walls like chansey harder than even the super-effective focus blast.

EV's are fairly straight forward, with a little defense mixed in since gardevoir is already plenty powerful as is, and allows it to more easily stomach resisted hits upon switching in or something....

Either modest or Timid nature is useable, timid to ensure a possible speed tie among the crowded 100 speed tier, while modest just hits just stupidly hard it hurts. the extra power is more handy since stall-teams are generally fairly slow, and allows a 3hko on chansey, and shout.out to sketchup for telling me that :)

Jernmax Better? :)

Last edited:
God bless garde-murica.

Gardevoir @ Gardevoirite
Timid Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Psyshock
- Focus Blast
- Taunt
I'd really enjoy if you'd put up a summary, it would increase your chances of winning!

SketchUp

God bless garde-murica.

Gardevoir @ Gardevoirite
Timid Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Psyshock
- Focus Blast
- Taunt

Kiss your Trolly Mega Sableye goodbye, and cheers.
With a Modest nature you get the sure 3hko on chansey iirc. This is pretty big because it can 3hko you with seismic toss in return. With timid you lose if you predict the seismictoss/softboiled and psyshock/taunt wrong. So I would definitely use modest.

arf

Houndoom @ Houndoominite
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Fire Blast
- Dark Pulse
- Nasty Plot
- Taunt / Will-O-Wisp / Destiny Bond

Mega Houndoom is pretty cool as a stallbreaker cause it shuts down Mega Sableye really hard; it resists both it STABs (Shadow Ball is a 6HKO,) is immune to Will-O-Wisp, can boost with NP faster than Sableye can with CM, and it also does not risk a KO from Foul Play like physically boosting Fire types do. While non-mega, Houndoom's presence deters Sableye from using Wisp, cause +2 Flash Fire boosted Fire Blasts will waste its entire team.

Due to its speed, STAB coverage and power after a NP boost, very few stall staples are able to handle Mega Houndoom effectively, with mostly just Chansey and SDef Mega Altaria able to stand up to it. However, Phys Def Altaria is 2HKOed by +2 Fire Blast, and Chansey is 2HKOed by +4 Fire Blast. Taunt prevents recovery, which is valuable considering Fire Blast's mere 8 PP, and prevents SDef Unaware Clefable from countering you (I don't think anyone actually uses that but w/e.)

Against offense, Houndoom can struggle to find chances to mega evolve, and checks like Azumarill, Keldeo, Tyranitar, and Mega Diance can all give it problems. However, its high speed (115) allows it to RK Mega Metagross, Latios, Gengar, and more. It can also run Wisp to mess with a handful of its checks, and Destiny Bond can often force a trade against any sort of team.

Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 244 HP / 192 SpD / 72 Spe
Careful Nature
- Taunt
- Knock Off
- Earthquake
- Swords Dance

Decent speed and constant recovery. It checks Landorus-T, Bisharp, Drill, Diance and more. Swords Dance helps against Clefable and things like M-Sableye, you can always use Roost/Protect instead but I prefer SD. The great thing about Gliscor is the immunity to status after Toxic Orb activates. It can shut down different pokemon by itself.
Pretty good stall breaker overall.

Last edited:
Reserving Gengar
Gengar @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe / 4 SpD
Timid Nature
- Taunt
- Hex / Shadow Ball
- Focus Blast
- Sludge Wave / Substitute / Destiny Bond

Gengar is an amazing stallbreaker, with a fantastic speed tier and a decent movepool. It gains access to some great utility moves like Substitute, Destiny Bond, and Taunt to really shut down stall recovery. While Chansey may stop it cold, Substitute and Taunt prevent any recovery or statusing, and it obviously can't touch gengar with seismic toss.

Gengar is also able to beat mega slowbro, and about all of the phys walls in the tier. Sludge wave tears through mega Altaria, hex is a good answer to SpDef gliscor, and the only stall member it really fears is Mega Sableye, although gengar can still get taunts in after it mega evolves.

Last edited:
God bless garde-murica.

Gardevoir @ Gardevoirite
Modest Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Psyshock
- Focus Blast
- Taunt

Taunt+Gardevoir's overall decent speed stat allows it to stop hazard/ status moves, which go for most of a stall team's damage output. hyper voice is an insanely powerful and reliable STAB move, with few types resisting it. Focus blast, while having decently terrible acc still allows gardevoir to kill off the prominent steel-types, who would otherwise wall this set. Psyshock allows for the bopping of the poison types who resist both focus blast+hyper voice, and it's ability allows it to hit heavy special walls like chansey harder than even the super-effective focus blast.

EV's are fairly straight forward, with a little defense mixed in since gardevoir is already plenty powerful as is, and allows it to more easily stomach resisted hits upon switching in or something....

Either modest or Timid nature is useable, timid to ensure a possible speed tie among the crowded 100 speed tier, while modest just hits just stupidly hard it hurts. the extra power is more handy since stall-teams are generally fairly slow, and allows a 3hko on chansey, and shout.out to sketchup for telling me that :)

Jernmax Better? :)
No I hate it!

Ps: ye

arf

Houndoom @ Houndoominite
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Fire Blast
- Dark Pulse
- Nasty Plot
- Taunt / Will-O-Wisp / Destiny Bond

Mega Houndoom is pretty cool as a stallbreaker cause it shuts down Mega Sableye really hard; it resists both it STABs (Shadow Ball is a 6HKO,) is immune to Will-O-Wisp, can boost with NP faster than Sableye can with CM, and it also does not risk a KO from Foul Play like physically boosting Fire types do. While non-mega, Houndoom's presence deters Sableye from using Wisp, cause +2 Flash Fire boosted Fire Blasts will waste its entire team.

Due to its speed, STAB coverage and power after a NP boost, very few stall staples are able to handle Mega Houndoom effectively, with mostly just Chansey and SDef Mega Altaria able to stand up to it. However, Phys Def Altaria is 2HKOed by +2 Fire Blast, and Chansey is 2HKOed by +4 Fire Blast. Taunt prevents recovery, which is valuable considering Fire Blast's mere 8 PP, and prevents SDef Unaware Clefable from countering you (I don't think anyone actually uses that but w/e.)

Against offense, Houndoom can struggle to find chances to mega evolve, and checks like Azumarill, Keldeo, Tyranitar, and Mega Diance can all give it problems. However, its high speed (115) allows it to RK Mega Metagross, Latios, Gengar, and more. It can also run Wisp to mess with a handful of its checks, and Destiny Bond can often force a trade against any sort of team.
You should run 40 HP evs, you can then live 4 STosses from the blobs, and winning in the process!

image.jpg

Sableye @ Sableite(I think)
Ability: Magic Bounce
252 HP/248 Def/8 SpD
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind/Taunt
- Will-O-Wisp
- Recover
- Shadow Ball/Dark Pulse/Knock Off

Mega Sableye is one of the best pokemon in Ou and one of, if the not the best stall breaker. Magic Bounce means that all those anoying taunts and status moves are bounced back on the opponent, unless they have mold breaker. It has reliable recovery with recover, and the ability to shut down opposing stall pokemon with a taunt of its own. It also has others utility as a calm mind sweeper, which is a nice bonus to an already great pokemon. Mega Sableye also has excellent defensive typing, being immune to fighting types and only having 1 weakness. Sableye is not impossible to stop though. Mega Gyarados, Clefable, Mega Gardevoir and Mega Lopunny are some example of pokemon that can check Sableye. It should also be noted that Mega Sableye does not have to mega evolve to be threating immedientley. Prankster wisp, taunt and recover all are great tools for Sableye, as it means Sableye can burn physical attackers before they can sucsessfully perform a Attack, or taunt faster stall pokemon, as mega Sableye speed is really horrible. Mega Sableye is also a great spin blocker, meaning it's team can set up hazards without fearing rapid spin, which a very useful ability to have.

Last edited:
It's weird where is everyone's fav Goth set?

Gothitelle @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Shadow Tag
EVs: 252 HP / 144 Def / 112 SpD
Bold Nature
- Psyshock
- Thunderbolt
- Rest
- Trick

So gothitelle is able to outspeed most stallmons, and can trick a scarf onto all non-megas. It is very difficult for weak stallmons to 3HKO Gothitelle, so it can effectively spam rest to PP stall them and ultimately struggle them to death. Right before the opposing pokemon faints, Goth can trick back its scarf. Of course, there are some problems with this set. Basically every mega evolution is able beat this, including defensive venusaur. Offensive venusaur is 2hkod by psyshock. Slowbro and Sableye are capable of setting up all over gothitelle. Naturally powerful defensive pokemon, such as heatran, are also capable of 3hkoing goth. Phazers also are capable of forcing out goth and racking up sr damage. The evs are meant to be 4hko'd by gliscor's eq. No speed is necessary is necessary to outrun the fasted defensive mon I can think of, 72 speed spdef Gliscor.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)