ORAS UU The Points of Detoxification: The Toxic Spikes Revolution

So after a month or two of not being active in the RMT forums, I arrive again to make a new RMT in my favorite tier, the UnderUsed tier. Like what you guys have heard, all of us noticed a big change in the UU tier, with the leaving of Jirachi, Raikou, Starmie, Suicune and Diancie (all going to OU), the definition of the metagame will then change again. I kinda got upset when I heard Jirachi will leave UU because my former team (it was rather successful; it peaked me at 272 on the UU Ladder, but there is no screenshot on it. Sorry about that.) was greatly dependent on Rachi's awesome prowess. However, that will not hinder me on my teambuilding. Now going back to the real thing.

If some people do not know me, I am Majore D' Mawile. I am an avid player of UU under the Showdown names: "Swagtaria" and my Smogon name: *of course* Majore D' Mawile. I am a big player of the bulky offense and balanced playstyles and I have established myself to them ever since. Today, I bring to you one of my newest teams, which has proven to be really good. I haven't peaked up much yet, but this team has a big impression on becoming a thing in the tier. Without further ado, here comes:

"THE POINTS OF DETOXIFICATION: THE TOXIC SPIKES REVOLUTION"!

--GENERAL ANALYSIS--

THIS SECTION WILL COVER UP THE ARCHETYPES THAT THE TEAM IS MADE UP OF. IT MIGHT GIVE A MORE DETAILED DESCRIPTION ABOUT THE TEAM ARCHETYPES, DESCRIBING WHAT ROLES THEY PERFORM ON THE TEAM.

Primary Archetype: Balanced

With a big amount of clerics and stall Pokemon in UU, the tier turns its metagame to one where this playstyle is well played. Basically, I prefer the Balance archetype of UU among every other tier, because balance in this tier relies mostly on doing cleric stuff, which is good for keeping up your team in perfect shape. For new players, Balance is the team archetype where it relies on the use of 3 offensive Pokemon and 3 defensive stall 'mons/wall 'mons. This is the primary archetype of my team.

Sub-Archetype: Hazard Stacking Offense

One of the common sub-archetypes in UU is the utilization of hazards, which deals well with opposing teams when played properly. Hazard stacking doesn't necessarily rely only on Stealth Rock, which is a staple hazard in UU. It utilizes the use of 2 other hazard forms such as Spikes and Toxic Spikes. In this team's case, Toxic Spikes is the thing to utilize here, as it makes a bigger, long lasting impact in a battle, especially if your opponent doesn't have any Poison type, hazard remover, tons of Steels or Crobat left/at all. T-Spikes can generally take on nearly every archetype in the tier. Play them right and you'll get victory more easily. Play them wrongly and you'll have either: a hard time finishing the game or you would just lose.

--TEAMBUILDING PROCESS--
The first thing I took account when building the team is to pick out the perfect core to use. As a team builder, you would want to centralize your team around a certain core. In this case, since I am going for balance with hazard setting, I have to form a core that can synergize well in terms of both tanking hits and laying down hazards. To form the first half of the core, I went for Tentacruel, a great option for laying Toxic Spikes well. Its T-Spikes work efficiently versus nearly every playstyle, so I decided to start with this Pokemon.
tentasprite.png

Next, I want to have a Pokemon that will effectively synergize with Tentacruel. To do that, I considered having a Pokemon that can wall Pokemon for big time while at the same time, laying Stealth Rock, since Flying types do not get affected by Toxic Spikes. Aggron was the first thing I thought. However, when I got my other members later on, I sense a lack of good recovery and consistent immunity to Ground types. Instead, I went for Gligar, which is one of the best monster walls in UU. It provides a good immunity to Thunder Wave and Ground moves, while being able to tank a lot of good physical attackers in the tier. Thus, the bulky hazard stacking core below was formed.
tentasprite.png
glisprite.png

When it comes to laying down additional hazards, take into account that you will have to deal with Defog to stop them from removing your hazards. Considering the core itself, its weaknesses are: GUTS USERS CAN SWITCH IN TO TOXIC SPIKES and MEGA BEEDRILL CANNOT TANK THEM. What to do? Slap in Crobat. It provides the core with a very reliable support system, stopping many things from setting up themselves for a sweep, switching in to Knock Off and providing momentum to the team.
tentasprite.png
glisprite.png
crosprite.png

To start with the offensive core, I took 3 things in consideration: wall-breaking, using a Scarf user and a set up sweeper. For the wall-breaking part, I rather decided to use a specially defensive Pokemon so that it can mess up a lot of things, including Snorlax and Suicune. What I thought of was to utilize a strong wall-breaker that is capable of tearing holes very early to have a less difficult time to finish opposing teams later on. Enter Porygon-Z, a powerful Adaptability user in the tier. With a strong STAB in Tri-Attack, it can severely damage a lot of Pokemon as long as they are not Ghost types of course.
tentasprite.png
glisprite.png
crosprite.png
porygonsprite.png

With the lack of a scarf user, it becomes difficult to outrun a lot of things, especially with a big abundance of Beedrill-Mega and other fast scarfers. When putting up a scarfer, I considered having a base speed beyond 100, because 100 base speed scarfers are balanced. Going beyond 100 base speed makes a big change in choosing a scarfer. With a lot of things such as Scarf Mienshao and Scarf Raikou, I decided to go beyond the usual 100 base speed and slapped in Infernape. It's got strong STAB moves and that it can continue the team's momentum as well.
tentasprite.png
glisprite.png
crosprite.png
porygonsprite.png
infersprite.png

Finally, the slot must be for a Pokemon that can easily take advantage of fulfilling everything else: win-condition and wall-breaker. Instead of going for staple win-conditions such as Snorlax and Suicune, I chose something rather different. I went for the option of going for Sharpedo. The reason for this is because it can take advantage of speed control and it can greatly clean up late game. It's an easy fit for the team.
tentasprite.png
glisprite.png
crosprite.png
porygonsprite.png
infersprite.png
sharpesprite.png

The team often fails to handle UU's new standard threats: Terrakion and Salamence well. Sharpedo may fall behind setting up versus Salamence, despite Speed Boost, and Scarf Terrakion can beat Sharpedo-Mega at +1 Speed. The defensive core cannot handle Guts Heracross as efficiently as possible, since there are some people who put in Facade in their Heracross. Also with the lack of a dragon resist/immunity, I am very frail to dragons, especially Salamence. Here, I decided to have a Fairy type that can efficiently wall those threats while back-firing physical attackers as well. Here, I chose NU's golden gem, Granbull. Its amazing addition to the team proves that it can decimate a lot of physical attackers given its Intimidate ability.
tentasprite.png
glisprite.png
crosprite.png
porygonsprite.png
infersprite.png
gransprite.png

--INDIVIDUAL ANALYSES--

tentacruel.gif

Tentacruel (M) @
leftovers.png

Ability: Liquid Ooze
EVs: 240 HP / 244 Def / 24 SpD
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Scald
- Knock Off
- Rapid Spin
- Toxic Spikes

General Analysis:
Tentacruel is the heart of the team's hazard stacking offense build. With its incredible bulk, good ability and the capability of setting up T-Spikes/getting rid of opposing T-Spikes, it is a very viable option for an effective wall that can set up hazards. In many different match-ups, the team would basically rely on Tentacruel's Toxic Spikes in achieving victory, mainly because it can set up Toxic Spikes versus almost every Pokemon. Most of the time, it would just have to tank up wall-breakers such as Darmanitan, even if Tentacruel cannot effectively wall such Pokemon. My preference of Leftovers > Black Sludge is because of the fact that, once it gets tricked by something, it can be re-tricked again to one of my other Pokemon, which is not good. The EV spread patches up Tentacruel's physical bulk while being able to retain its special bulk.

Move Selection:
Scald- the basic burn inducing move; effective versus Fire types

Knock Off- very important move used to detach opposing Pokemon items, which is essential
Rapid Spin- removes hazards away from the team
Toxic Spikes- the basis of the team. It lays down poisonous spikes to hurt non-Poison/non-Steel types on the switch in.

gligar.gif

Gligar @
eviolite.png

Ability: Immunity
EVs: 252 HP / 56 Def / 200 SpD
Careful Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Roost

General Analysis:
Gligar is a monster wall. With incredible 105 base defense + Eviolite, it makes up for one of the best walls in UU (yes, it moved from RU to UU, along with Sceptile, Serperior and Pidgeot). It also carries a good immunity to Electric and Ground type moves, which is why it synergizes well with Tentacruel by typing. Its hazardous synergy with Tentacruel is that it provides Stealth Rock, which can help tear down Flying types, which do not get affected by T-Spikes at all. Basically, it can play out versus a lot of physical attackers including Salamence and Mienshao with Roost. To sum everything up, the reason I want it here is that it provides Stealth Rock, has a good immunity to Thunder Wave and that it has momentum-continuation properties. The EV spread patches its special bulk while keeping its physical bulk along.

Move Selection:
Stealth Rock- every competitive team needs this
Earthquake- good to dish out damage to Steel and Electric types
U-Turn- provides momentum to the team
Roost- source of recovery

crobat.gif

Crobat (M)
Ability: Infiltrator
EVs: 248 HP / 20 Atk / 40 Def / 200 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Acrobatics
- Roost
- Taunt
- U-turn

General Analysis:
Item-less Crobat is an unknown monster. Really. It's a monster, because it can switch in effectively on a predicted Knock Off/Mega Beedrill with the given EV spread. Basically, this guy puts up a lot of work versus balanced teams and Pokemon such as Machamp and Heracross. With access to Acrobatics + no item, it works out very effectively against any playstyle. Match-ups versus balance would make this guy very useful with access to Taunt, preventing clerics, Defoggers and set-up sweepers to proceed further. It also continues the team's task to put in momentum, making it one of the most important members of the team. The EV spread is very mainstream, with 200 speed to outspeed Noivern and most Crobat and 248 HP to give bulky Crobat.

Move Selection:
Acrobatics- the best non-damaging STAB of this Pokemon
Roost- source of recovery

Taunt- prevents balanced teams and set-up sweepers to work
U-Turn- continues the team's momentum

porygon-z.gif

Porygon-Z @
choice-specs.png

Ability: Adaptability
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Tri Attack
- Psyshock
- Ice Beam
- Thunderbolt

General Analysis:
Porygon-Z is one of the best monsters in UU. Given Adaptability to further boost its best STAB, Tri-Attack, it can totally put very big dents to teams that do not carry a Steel/Ghost type. It also has coverage moves to deal with other threats, which make this version of Porygon-Z not as easy to handle. Basically, the team likes to have big openings on opposing teams, and one way to do so is to bring in this guy. There are only a few specific things in the tier that can stop Adaptability Tri-Attack coming from this guy, which makes it one of the best mentions in both the UU tier and the team.

Move Selection:
Tri-Attack- pair it up with Adaptability and you basically KO or 2HKO nearly the whole tier
Psyshock- say WHAT? WHAT IS PSYSHOCK DOING IN A PORYGON-Z? This is the biggest surprise factor that the guy carries. Psyshock with Choice Specs can decimate a lot of unprepared special walls in the tier, which makes it an even fit for balance.
Ice Beam- targets out Flying types and Ground types
Thunderbolt- targets out things like Milotic and Blastoise

infernape.gif

Infernape (M) @
choice scarf.png

Ability: Blaze
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- U-turn
- Flare Blitz
- Stone Edge

General Analysis:
Infernape becomes a good scarf user to have on every team. Since Terrakion has arrived in the tier, there becomes a tendency to see Scarf Terrakion in competitive play, which will make Mienshao less efficient in battle. With Infernape, it can speed-tie Scarf Terrakion, beat the heck out of the other scarf users, provide momentum...it's just about that. Boasting in strong STABs in Close Combat and Flare Blitz, it has the capability to break out a lot of Pokemon while being able to offer momentum to the team using its good speed + Scarf.

Move Selection:
Close Combat- fighting STAB
U-Turn- continues the team's momentum
Flare Blitz- fire STAB
Stone Edge- beats most Flying and Fire types

granbull.gif

Granbull (M) @
leftovers.png

Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 232 Def / 24 SpD
Impish Nature
- Heal Bell
- Toxic
- Play Rough
- Roar

General Analysis:
Basically, I can say that Granbull is a great answer to a lot of physical threats, given Salamence, Terrakion, Heracross, Haxorus...mention the rest. Having Fairy typing + Intimidate, it can stop the given threats for good. It also provides some good things for the team, such as a secondary set-up stopper, cleric and physical wall. With the given EV spread, it is most likely to see that many of the well famed physical attackers cannot function well at all. Also, it can poison out certain Flying types, as long as it is not Crobat.

Move Selection:
Heal Bell- heals the team's status affected Pokemon
Toxic- poisons Pokemon, which is good even without Toxic Spikes
Play Rough- answer to Dragon and Fighting types
Roar- puts out set-up Pokemon of action

--FINAL WORDS--
This is basically where the forum ends. Overall, this team performs effectively in the tier at its current metagame especially when it is played correctly. If you see any tweaks or possible mistakes/suggestions, please put up your suggestions in the comments. Once again, this is Majore D' Mawile.

'Till next time!

--IMPORTABLE--

Tentacruel (M) @ Leftovers
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Knock Off
- Rapid Spin
- Toxic Spikes

Gligar @ Eviolite
Careful Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Roost

Crobat (M)
Jolly Nature
- Acrobatics
- Roost
- Taunt
- U-turn

Porygon-Z @ Choice Specs
Timid Nature
- Tri Attack
- Psyshock
- Ice Beam
- Thunderbolt

Infernape (M) @ Choice Scarf
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- U-turn
- Flare Blitz
- Stone Edge

Granbull (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 232 Def / 24 SpD
Impish Nature
- Heal Bell
- Toxic
- Play Rough
- Roar

Last edited:
Hey man, interesting team you have here. One problem i see with your team is Crocune. Your team gets swept once porygon is gone, or when Cune has 2 CM boost already. I recommend Acid Spray over Knock off on Tentacruel to deal with Crocune perfectly. Aside from that, your team seems to lack offensive pressure which is needed when battling well built teams. To fix this, i recommend Offensive Stealth Rock Nidoqueen over Gligar. By eliminating gligar, you lack Special walls, so maybe investing more into Tentacruel's SDEF would suffice.

Nidoqueen (F) @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 36 HP / 252 SpA / 220 Spe
Modest Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Sludge Wave
- Earth Power
- Ice Beam

These EVs allow Nido to outspeed things like Blastoise, opposing tentacruel, honchkrow, etc.

This looks like a pretty solid team! However , this team is extremely weak to sash zam, being able to take a hit from crobat and then sweep your team. Because of this, I would switch Granbull for Hydreigon. Since granbull has no need to check terrak anymore, it can easily be replaced for a zam rker/psychic Type switch in. I recommend scarf dreigon.
And since nido makes you even weaker to zam, I suggest switching Gligar or Infernape for Stealth Rock Aerodactyl mega. Especially since you might use scarf dreigon, scarfed ape is pretty redundant, and doesn't do much else for your team, which aero can do exceptionally well. Aero gives your team offensive pressure, as well as another rker and stealth rocker, while also acting as a secondary check to heracross. Hope the rate was helpful!

Vapo

water me
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Hey dude! Cool team you have here. There are a few issues I see with the team, however. First off, you have very little for bulky waters such as Suicune and Vaporeon. I also don't see Granbull doing much for your team, considering you already have Gligar to check most physical attackers. So, I am suggesting you switch Granbull for Shaymin. Shaymin is an excellent way to deal with bulky waters, as it resists their STAB, shrugs off any burns with Natural Cure, and gets to smack something with a Seed Flare. Since you no longer have Granbull to counter Salamence, I also suggest Toxic over U-Turn on Gligar. Toxic allows you to poison Salamence, as well as any other levitating pokemon, and prevents you from being set up fodder. Your current Gligar spread has enough defense to take two outrages after rocks, so that can stay the same. I would also suggest Dark Pulse over Ice Beam on Porygon-Z. Ice Beam really doesn't score you any extra kills over Tri Attack, while Dark Pulse allows you to hit ghost types that otherwise wall you, namely Doublade. I'll leave an importable of the team with the changes if you're interested in trying them out. By the way, killer analysis. This is one of the best ones I've seen in a while :]

Tentacruel (M) @ Leftovers
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Knock Off
- Rapid Spin
- Toxic Spikes

Gligar @ Eviolite
Careful Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Toxic
- Roost

Crobat (M)
Jolly Nature
- Acrobatics
- Roost
- Taunt
- U-turn

Porygon-Z @ Choice Specs
Timid Nature
- Tri Attack
- Psyshock
- Dark Pulse
- Thunderbolt

Infernape (M) @ Choice Scarf
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- U-turn
- Flare Blitz
- Stone Edge

Shaymin @ Life Orb
Ability: Natural Cure
Timid Nature
- Seed Flare
- Earth Power
- Psychic
- Synthesis

IronBullet

Astronomy Domine
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Hey there,

This is a really solid team but as pointed above you have a huge problem with bulky waters, specifically CroCune. P-Z is your only way of getting past it and once it sets up a CM even a Specs Thunderbolt will not be enough. Shaymin would definitely help here, but I don't think replacing Granbull for it is a good idea as then you would have no way to check Dragon types and Mence, Haxorus and Hydrei would have free reign over your team. So, I would instead recommend replacing Granbull with Whimsicott, who retains the ability to check Dragons while being able to check CroCune with Prankster Encore + Giga Drain. A fast offensive spread would work well here in order to outspeed and KO most Dragons. Here's the set:

Whimsicott @ Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 8 HP / 248 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Giga Drain
- Moonblast
- Encore
- U-turn / Stun Spore

U-turn and Stun Spore both have their merits. U-turn is valuable in retaining momentum after Encoring something, while Stun Spore works great as a last ditch attempt to stop fast sweepers.

Sash Zam and other strong Psychic types are also a problem for your team as has been pointed out, however instead of replacing Gligar with Scarf Hydrei I would instead recommend going with a Scarf Krookodile. Scarf Krook works extremely well with Toxic Spikes. Knock Off + poison will destroy most walls, and with P-Z's wall-breaking power a path can easily be opened up for Krook to sweep late-game with Moxie. It offers an excellent switch-in to Psychic and Ghost types and is able to permanently remove them from the game with Pursuit. You already have Fighting types covered extremely well with Tentacruel and Crobat so I don't think the removal of Gligar will be too much of an issue. Besides, with all the Knock Offs flying around I feel Gligar's effectiveness in the tier has diminished somewhat. As you now lack an SR user, something you could try out is a SR Lead Infernape over your current set. It also packs Endeavor, enabling it to quickly set up SR and either faint or severely weaken an opposing Pokemon before being taken out. A set of SR / Endeavor / Fire Blast / Close Combat or Mach Punch would work well here. CC or Mach Punch is up to you, CC provides you with a powerful STAB while Mach Punch can pick off weakened Pokemon after an Endeavor.

Lastly Acid Spray is a great suggestion for giving you an additional check to CroCune and other similar setup sweepers, so I'd like to second that. With Krook packing Knock Off I don't think the loss of Knock Off on Tentacruel will be felt too much.

Good luck with the team, hope I helped!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)