The Power of Magnets

Molk

Godlike Usmash
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus

Introduction:

Hey everyone, it's Molk returning with yet another BW2 RU RMT. Its been a decent amount of time since i posted my last (serious) Rate My Team Rise of Mangoose, and things have changed a little bit since then: Smogon has switched to Xenforo from vbulletin, which everyone is still getting used to at the moment, and i've been promoted from RU Moderator to RU Tier Leader somehow (i hope i do a good job :s, still really new to this). Anyways, this is a team that i made at just about the end of the hail suspect test for fun that's performed quite well for me since, and i thought i might as well showcase it here =). The team itself is a bulky offensive team that revolves around using Magneton to remove checks and counters to the two main offensive juggernauts of the team: Druddigon and Lilligant, allowing them to charge through the opposing team that much more easily with their checks trapped and either weakened or eliminated. This team also uses the underrated Golurk, and i have to say i really don't understand why its still NU (although its actually been RU by usage for the past two months, no more tier shifts ;_; ), be sure to give it a try! Lilligant's been a pretty threatening Pokemon for a while, and never fails to give teams trouble if they're unprepared, but despite this, i hadn't used in her in BW2 RU for quite a while, so i used this as an opportunity to give her a try, and i have to say i was far from disappointed. So anyways, on to the team.

The team in depth:

Golurk @ Leftovers
Trait: Iron Fist
EVs: 148 HP / 252 Atk / 108 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Shadow Punch
- Fire Punch

As i mentioned in the introduction, Golurk is probably one of the most underrated Pokemon in RU imo, and tbh i'd say it deserves to be up in RU with other Pokemon on this team such as Slowking, Druddigon, and Lilligant. Anyways, Golurk is this team's Stealth Rock setter, setting up the important move with ease almost every match thanks to its decent bulk and good resistances and immunities to Normal-, Fighting-, Electric-, Rock-, Poison-, and Bug-type Attacks, all of which are somewhat common in the current RU metagame except for Poison, making them all the more useful. Because of the aforementioned Electric-type immunity, Golurk is also my primary stop to Volt Switch spammers such as Manectric, Galvantula, and Rotom-C to an extent, completely stopping their momentum and possibly gaining a free turn from doing so, while also having the bulk to take pretty much any coverage move at least once except for Rotom-C's Leaf Storm. Although Golurk plays a primarily defensive role for this team, don't underestimate it offensively either, as Golurk actually has a great Attack stat and good coverage to work with between Earthquake, Shadow Punch, and Fire Punch, ensuring that its never a sitting duck. The given evs maximize Golurk's offensive potential and give it enough Speed to outpace minimum Speed Lanturn and anything that aims for that same benchmark, plus a few more Speed evs for good measure. The remaining EVs are placed into Golurk's hp to increase its overall bulk.

Slowking @ Choice Specs
Trait: Regenerator
EVs: 248 HP / 4 Def / 248 SAtk / 8 Spd
Modest Nature
- Surf
- Psyshock
- Fire Blast
- Scald / Trick / Grass Knot / Ice Beam

Ah yes Choice Specs Slowking, one of my favorite sets in the current metagame and probably one of the best offensive pivots in RU imo. Choice Specs Slowking was originally added on this team as a soft check to Moltres, taking Fire Blasts with ease and Regenerating to take them again by switching out, but it really does so much more than that in reality. Because of its defensive stats and access to Regenerator, Choice Specs Slowking serves as a check to many other Pokemon besides Moltres, such as Entei, Hitmonlee, Opposing Slowking, and Medicham, switching in on them pretty reliably and threatening a KO, forcing a switch. Outside of this, Specsking's decent power and great coverage help it punch holes in the opposing team, although it takes a bit of prediction to do so sometimes vs defensive balance/stall teams. Water is a great offensive type, and a lot of the time Slowking can do major damage to the opposing team simply by using Surf and Scald. Psyshock helps Slowking do major damage to Pokemon such as Clefable and Cryogonal by targetting their physical defense, and serves as a solid and reliable secondary STAB move for Slowking to use. Fire Blast hits Escavalier incredibly hard, preventing it from switching in on and trapping Slowking as safely (even with an Occa Berry specs Fire Blast does a lot), and hits many Grass-types such as Amoonguss, Lilligant, Tangrowth, Rotom-C, and Sceptile hard too, making it more than worth the while. Lastly, it might seem strange to use both Surf and Scald on Slowking, but i've actually found it to be quite nice, if i don't need the raw power of surf at the moment, specsking can use Scald to potentially burn switchins while still doing a solid amount of damage, and Scald heals Slowking of freeze too, which is especially nice as an unlucky freeze can be crippling. If you dislike using both Water-type STABs, though, Trick, Grass Knot, and Ice Beam are all excellent options on Specs Slowking too.

Druddigon @ Choice Band
Trait: Rough Skin
EVs: 192 HP / 252 Atk / 64 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Outrage
- Sucker Punch
- Dragon Claw
- Earthquake

Choice Band Druddigon has always been a massively powerful threat in the RU tier for quite a long time, and with Snow Warning being recently banned from the RU tier as a whole its only gotten better with the lack of the threat of hail teams ruining its fun. Once bulky Steel-types such as Steelix and Escavalier have been removed from the match (by a certain teammate of course) Druddigon can simply rip through teams and punch gigantic holes in defensive cores, most notably giving cores such as Amoonguss+Slowking quite a bit of trouble and serving as a great one Pokemon check to FWG cores with its triple resists to Fire, Water, and Grass-type moves and good bulk. Druddigon's wallbreaking abilities are especially nice to have because it can easily get past many of the defensive threats that can give Lilligant trouble, giving her a clear opportunity to sweep with her later on.Outrage is what Druddigon will be using just about 80% of the time, but i don't really need to consider using something else when Druddigon has switched in safely most of them, as Outrage will get the job done. Although, there are times where i don't want Druddigon to get locked into Outrage and revenge killed, where i use Dragon Claw, which is still a decently powerful STAB move that can get the job done against pretty much anything that isn't ultra bulky, and doesn't force Druddigon to stay in for multiple turns. Earthquake forms great neutral coverage with Outrage, hitting many of the Pokemon that resist Outrage such as Steelix and Magneton hard, and although it misses Pokemon such as Ferroseed and Escavalier, this isn't as big of a problem as they can be removed pretty handily by my own Magneton. Sucker Punch might seem strange on a Choice Banded Pokemon, but its actually come in handy before as a good pinch move, to revenge kill Pokemon and kill of last Pokemon Tauros and shit on the last turn before they can kill off my team, its usually not the best move on a Choiced Pokemon because of how exploitable it is, but it has savedme in a pinch before, so i don't think i'll end up replacing it.

(Also it autowins vs user: TropiOUs and makes him cry)

Magneton @ Eviolite
Trait: Magnet Pull
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Flash Cannon
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Volt Switch

Magneton is a cool Pokemon to have, and its almost definitely the reason why this team works so well, as it plays a role pretty much nothing else in the tier can effectively: trapping Steel-types. Because of Magneton's ability to trap common Steel-types for its teammates: most notably Escavalier, its become a pretty invaluable teammate since i first added it on, and its pretty easy to see Druddigon and Lilligant really appreciate the steel trapping support it provides too, as they both struggle with some of the more common Steel-types in the tier, who the triple magnet can eliminate pretty handily, often leading directly into a sweep. Outside of the Steel-type trapping role, Magneton makes for a pretty good offensive pivot too, resisting literally everything except Fire-, Fighting-, Ground- and Water-type moves, which gives it quite a few opportunities to switch in and pose an immediate threat with its great Special Attack stat and STAB Thunderbolt. Volt Switch make Magneton even better at this, as it can force a switch and give me an immediate advantage by simply Volt Switching out of what the opponent switched in for a little bit of chip damage, and Magneton resists Stealth Rock to boot, making it even better at playing this role. A Timid nature and max Speed are used here to get the jump on Adamant Kabutops and other neutral natured base 80 Pokemon, giving me a reliable check to the former between Magneton's decent physical bulk and resistance to Rock-type moves.

Lilligant (F) @ Lum Berry
Trait: Own Tempo
Timid Nature
- Sleep Powder
- Quiver Dance
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power [Rock]

After playing against Lilligant quite a bit and always struggling if i was unprepared/unlucky i decided to try her out for myself, and she's definitely been a good addition to the team, making an abolutely excellent and scary late game sweeper. Because of Lilligant's great combination of Sleep Powder and Quiver Dance, she can put Pokemon out of comission quite easily and become a big thread pretty easily, using Sleep Powder to take out potential checks lacking Sleep Talk or an ability such as Insomnia and to get free set up opportunities. From there, she can usually clean up with a combination of Giga Drain and the Hidden Power she's running. Sadly, Lilligant's limited coverage holds her back from being an absolute monster, and different Lilligant sets need different Pokemon eliminated before she can become unstoppable. This Lilligant uses Hidden Power Rock, which works quite well on this team as it beats many of the common Fire-types that might switch in on Lilligant while Magneton easily traps the Steel-type Pokemon that wall her Grass/Rock coverage. Normally, i'd use a Life Orb on Lilligant, but to be honest i've actually liked Lum Berry a lot more since i tried it, Lilli loses quite a bit of power sure, but she gains many more set up opportunities thanks to that one time immunity to annoying status moves, making it easier to set up a sweep against teams that rely on status to cripple a set up Lilligant. Lum Berry also lets Lilligant beat lead Smeargle, putting it to sleep Quickly and being immune to both Spore and Sleep Powders that might end up being sent back by random Magic Coats, which is especially useful given my team lacks a Rapid Spinner.

Emboar @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Blaze
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Superpower
- Wild Charge
- Sleep Talk

Lastly, Emboar fills the sixth slot of my team as an offensive Fire-type, quite nicely in fact. Anyways, when i say Emboar is the ultimate filler for Offense and Bulky Offense, i really mean it, Choice Scarf Emboar can check a large number of threats for a team and perform many useful roles in just one teamslot, almost always making it worth the while in the final teamslot if you don't have anything that conflicts with it like Moltres or Entei. Initially, i added Emboar to function as a decent check to Durant, taking either STAB move nicely, outspeeding with Choice Scarf, and easily OHKOing with Flare Blitz, but Fire pig does a lot more than just that. It gives me a great sleep absorber and check to Lilligant, who as mentioned because of my own Lilligant, can be incredibly dangerous if not prepared for,properly, and checks many other Pokemon such as Escavalier, Sceptile, Absol, Tangrowth, Amoonguss, Cinccino, Magmortar and Typhlosion to an extent, Cryogonal, Ferroseed, Accelgor, and Galvantula, as mentioned all in one teamslot! making it an exceptional utility Pokemon. Also, Unlike other Fire-types that could fill Emboar's role, it doesn't have a Stealth Rock weakness, making it much more useful on teams that lack a spinner, such as mine. Of course, sometimes i wish Choice Scarf Emboar was a bit faster, as even with a Scarf it doesn't really match up with the Speed of say Accelgor or Choice Scarf Rotom-C, and in fact only outpaces opposing Sceptile by 4 points, but overall i'm quite impressed with Choice Scarf Emboar, and i don't think anything could possibly fit the team better.

Threatlist:

Kangaskhan:

Tbh, although its rare, Kangaskhan can end up being quite annoying for this team if i do end up encountering it. For the most part i rely on Golurk to switch in and check various Normal-types such as Tauros and Zangoose, and the one that can get past Golurk, Cinccino, hates Magneton. Kangaskhan just ignores this and Double Edges Golurk anyway because of scrappy, and hits Magneton with a powerful Earthquake before it can even react. The combination of Fake Out and Sucker Punch is quite annoying too, and means Kangaskhan can wear down and defeat Lilligant and Emboar easily, stopping a potential sweep.

Toxic Spikes:

Toxic Spikes can be quite a thorn in my side if i encounter anyone using them, and i don't think its very hard to see why :s. I lack a spinner of any form which means i can't get rid of any Toxic Spikes set up midgame, which is pretty annoying. To make matters worse, all my Pokemon except Slowking lack reliable recovery, and all of them except Magneton are vulnerable to the move, making it quite annoying to play around if residual damage starts to rack up, this is probably one of the most annoying things this team could possibly face.

Conclusion:

In conclusion, this is probably one of my favorite teams in the entirety of BW2 RU, and i've had quite a bit of fun using it, if you want to give it a try yourself, the Importable is below the conclusion, moves evs and all, so don't be shy, give it a try and see what you think!​

Golurk @ Leftovers
Trait: Iron Fist
EVs: 148 HP / 252 Atk / 108 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Shadow Punch
- Fire Punch

Slowking @ Choice Specs
Trait: Regenerator
EVs: 248 HP / 4 Def / 248 SAtk / 8 Spd
Modest Nature
- Surf
- Psyshock
- Fire Blast
- Scald

Druddigon @ Choice Band
Trait: Rough Skin
EVs: 192 HP / 252 Atk / 64 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Outrage
- Sucker Punch
- Dragon Claw
- Earthquake

Magneton @ Eviolite
Trait: Magnet Pull
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Flash Cannon
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Volt Switch

Lilligant (F) @ Lum Berry
Trait: Own Tempo
Timid Nature
- Sleep Powder
- Quiver Dance
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power [Rock]

Emboar @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Blaze
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Superpower
- Wild Charge
- Sleep Talk

Last edited:
Wow, a bulky offense team packing a FWG core, a Drudd, and a utility Steel-type in RU, how cool and / or innovative
!

Seriously though, quality team as always, reflects the current meta pretty well imo. Magneton+Drudd / Lili has grown rather popular recently as well, which is annoying, but if that's how its gonna be, that's how it'll be. Pretty nice of you to rep Golurk and ScarfBoar too, kinda lame they aren't household names by now (or whatever you'd call it, I couldn't think of a better term '~' ). Oh, and Timid Eviolite Magnets is definitely fun too, so that getting a little push into the limelight is chill.

Anywho, there isn't all too much to be said, the team does what it's meant to, most changes I could make would inevitably change the dynamic of the team (ex: Qwilfish > Slowking gives you a TSpike absorber, an Intimidate user to check generalized physical attackers decently, and Spikes support, but put more pressure on Magnets and Drudd to sponge Psychic / specially based Fire attacks and drops one of your nukes). Considering your team is on the slower side, it might be worth considering opting for OTR Slowking over Specs, gives your team a clear-cut alternative win-con in the case that Lili goes down or the opponent is preserving a Rose or something of that nature to keep it in check. As a personal preference I've been dropping Wild Charge on my ScarfBoars recently, since I've found optimizing Sleep Talk pulls to be more significant than the hit on Qwil, King, and Moltres (especially since Moltres has been seeing even less use then it has in the past, and the other two's abilities really reduces the lasting damage it does) in exchange for locking into such an exploitable move, and that might be worth considering. Oh, and super trivial, but running 160 HP EVs on Golurk lets it avoid the 4HKO from max Attack Aerodactyl's EQ, meaning that it never loses to the awful lead Aero set that plagues our glorious ladder =)

Kanga n_n Oh, and learn to put a space between your emotes and other punctuation already pls :[

Congratulations on successfully implementing your DragMag core onto a team!

First of all, I personally dislike running Double Water STAB on Slowking because Scald generally runs enough power (unless you can show me noteworthy calcs that prove otherwise), so I would suggest running Ice Beam in the last slot (really for Druddigon). I don't think Grass Knot is noteworthy since Quagsire is rare (and Lilligant destroys it), Rhydon/Aggron are burned to death with Scald, and Samurott/Seismitoad take plenty from Psyshock as it is. Again, feel free to use calcs that argue against this. Trick is also a great idea if Druddigon isn't giving you any trouble, especially for handling stall teams easier that might try to plague you with TSpikes. Luckily for you they're pretty rare.

Second, I suggest replacing Scarf Emboar with Scarf Primeape for two reasons: 1. Scarf Primeape is faster and can catch things that Scarf Emboar can't, namely Scarf Rotom-C and +1 Feraligatr. Second, Primeape has U-turn, forming a beautiful offensive VoltTurn core with Magneton, making the fact that you only have one hazard source less of a worry.

Primeape (M) @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Vital Spirit
EVs: 4 HP/252 Atk/252 Spe
Nature: Jolly
-Close Combat
-U-turn
-Fire Punch
-Stone Edge

Primeape hits almost as hard as Emboar, but Close Combat is more spammable on a fast Pokemon than Superpower since there is no attack drop from Close Combat. In addition, U-turn lets you pick off Psychic-types and gain momentum (say you pick off your opponent's final Lilligant counter, then bring in Lilligant to start a sweep). Fire Punch is kept since otherwise Escavalier and Durant would be bigger problems for your team. Finally, Stone Edge does a number on Flying-types, particularly Moltres. The loss of a grass resistance isn't a big deal IMO since Magneton, Druddigon, and Lilligant are all solid resistances to it. As a bonus, Primeape is immune to Sleep, avoiding it from having to rely on Sleep Talk.

Well done overall Molk! You did a great job!

I don't know how to improve this team anymore. I've used it for well over 50 battles and can honestly say it's my favorite RU team I've ever used - it fits my play style nicely. Furthermore, it has fantastic synergy for an offensive team. Lilligant is able to stop Hazard Setters like Smeargle and Crustle that can give the team problems. Not any specific pokemon give the team problems but specific stall cores like Momo + Roselia can be problematic if played right. Obviously Emboar can take out both, but with Scarf solid prediction is needed, and once Toxic Spikes are up the team can be stalled to death. However, other than that I havn't found many weaknesses. The Band Druddigon can be used comparatively to Band Dragonite in OU, start with it turn 1 and reck if your opponent lacks a steel type or like Cryo to revenge kill. Yeah idk not my RMT lol that's just how I use. On a serious note - I'm not great at RU I went 24-1 with this team on the ladder which kind of proves how good it was. Also won with this team in both RU rounds so far... guess I need a new team now :(

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)