Ability: Aftermath
Type: Electric / Normal
EVs: 252 Sp. Atk / 252 Spe / 4 HP
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Boomburst
- Hidden Power [Fighting] / Taunt

Electrode's main selling point has always been it's speed, but as others have mentioned has a shallow movepool filled with Electric and Normal moves and Hidden Power as it's only coverage. Giving it Normal-typing and Boomburst as a powerful special move gives it an awesome move that now gets STAB off of a decent special attacking stat that will give Zebstrika and Raichu competition for a team slot.

STAB Boomburst OHKOs Zebstrika and Raichu, 2HKOs Rotom-F and Sawsbuck, and OHKOs Leafeon which frees up Electrode to use Hidden Power Fighting instead of Hidden Power Ice for coverage. Carrying Hidden Power Fighting allows Electrode to 2HKO Probopass and OHKO Pawniard.

The theory behind these additions is Electrode is an animate Poke Ball, which is one of the most regular and basic items in the game that the whole franchise is based around. Boomburst makes sense because Electrode already gets Sonic Boom, and Electrode also have a habit of exploding in their Pokedex entry, so an explosion of sound makes sense just as well.

Spoiler below holds several calcs I did for reference :)

252 SpA Life Orb Electrode Boomburst vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Zebstrika: 309-367 (106.1 - 126.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252 SpA Life Orb Electrode Boomburst vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Raichu: 257-304 (98.4 - 116.4%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO

252 SpA Life Orb Electrode Hidden Power Fighting vs. 172 HP / 0 SpD Probopass: 177-208 (58.2 - 68.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 SpA Life Orb Electrode Hidden Power Fighting vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Eviolite Pawniard: 338-400 (146.3 - 173.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252 SpA Life Orb Electrode Boomburst vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Sawsbuck: 286-339 (95 - 112.6%) -- 68.8% chance to OHKO

252 SpA Life Orb Electrode Boomburst vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Stunfisk: 216-255 (51.1 - 60.4%) -- 88.7% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

252 SpA Life Orb Electrode Boomburst vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Leafeon: 305-360 (112.5 - 132.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252 SpA Life Orb Electrode Boomburst vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Grumpig: 146-173 (40.2 - 47.6%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

252 SpA Life Orb Electrode Boomburst vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Mr. Mime: 183-216 (82.8 - 97.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Last edited:

Electrode @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Aura Sphere
- Hidden Power [Ice]

At first look at Electrode, you can tell it has no trouble levitating above the ground, as it usually is. Therefore, the ability Levitate made sense. Aura Sphere also made since because, well, it's a sphere.

Competitively, this would give Electrode no weaknesses, allowing it to take on Pokemon like Probopass with ease. Aura Sphere gives Electrode a much better option for hitting Probopass, Piloswine, Golem, etc.

MZ

And now for something completely different
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Aight lemme just throw this out because you guys can't think outside the ball. And before I get accused of something, I just came up with this now because I wanted to do one of my own.

101.gif
+ Fire type + Searing Shot

Sample set

Electrode @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Volt Switch
- Searing Shot
- Taunt
- Hidden Power [Grass]

I know this looks weird, so I'm gonna start with some justification. It's a Poke Ball, and giving it some sort of fire base isn't totally crazy. Hell, its bottom half is red. It's not a perfect fit (steel would be but that typing would suck more than anything) but it's not too much of a stretch. Searing shot was chosen even though Overheat/Heat wave seems more likely because Pokemon with bulletproof are actually immune to it, making it a little closer to a ball/bomb type of move, which perfectly fits an exploding ball.

What fire typing would do is give it the coverage that it's long needed. The best it could do was a weak unSTAB signal beam or hidden power, now you've got a base 100 STAB attack coming off of a modest LO Electrode. It wouldn't be broken thanks to its poor special attack, but the move + power helps it distinguish itself from Raichu and Zebstrika, two Pokemon that have held it back by simply being better. Zebstrika might seem like a worse option now thanks to Electrode having a fire move too, but it'd still carry the niche of sap sipper to counter pluff, no rocks weakness and being a bit stronger with the electric moves. So Electrode gets some more power and coverage, the things its been missing out on, in a form that still doesn't leave it outclassed by something (focus blast would still suck kek). Now you have a speedster that has a strong fire type STAB and taunt. You've distinguished yourself from other Electrics by being far faster (which you already were) but now being able to revenge Ice and Grass and Steel types, which they can but you used to fail at. Raichu and Zebstrika would still have other perfectly legitimate uses so I don't see this screwing up the meta or dropping anything significantly. Electrode still wouldn't be broken due to its still mediocre special attack and rocks weakness, which really sucks for a mon that's volt switching out most of the time and wants to hold a life orb to maximize damage. Besides, who wouldn't want to roast the fuck out of Jumpluff :)

edit: oh yeah and if you're gonna say "4X WEAK TO GROUND LOL FAIL" it's not like electrode ever took a ground move anyway. or a water move. or a rock move. the bulk really isn't as important as the resistances to grass and fire and ice, which allow it to actually switch in on things if need be.

Last edited:

Electrode @ Custap Berry
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Explosion
- Taunt
- filler

This is like the PU version of Suicide Lead Fortress minus Sturdy. Taking advantage of it's high speed allows it to taunt/srock before your opponent. Explosion and Aftermath is to do some damage if dead. Just in case it's one of those 1HP survives, I added a Custap Berry.

Edit: Just for some justification, it can probbably learn SRock because it is a Pokeball, which is made of metal, which is made of minerals, which comes from rocks. That's a horrible explanation. :(

rubsomebacononit

I was cringe and annoying when I was on smogon RIP
is a Contributor Alumnus

Electrode @ Life Orb
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Focus Blast
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Taunt

This set traps Steel-types such as Pawniard, Klang and Probopass and kills them with Focus Blast. You may be thinking: "Probopass has magnet pull and can kill Steel-types with Earth Power, so why the hell would we use Electrode over Probopass?" First, Electrode's speed jumps at you. Secondly, Electrode has Taunt, so it can prevent status moves from affecting it. Although Electrode doesn't have Stealth Rock like Probopass does, it still has Volt Switch for momentum.

Although Klang can survive two Focus Blasts, it cannot do anything besides Gear Grind, which 5HKOs (4HKOs at best). Probopass 2HKOs with Earth Power. Electrode can't switch into Pawniard directly as it is 2HKOed but can deal massive damage with Focus Blast.

Calcs:

252+ SpA Life Orb Electrode Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 100 SpD Eviolite Klang: 185-218 (57 - 67.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ SpA Life Orb Electrode Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 168+ SpD Probopass: 307-364 (94.7 - 112.3%) -- 68.8% chance to OHKO
252+ SpA Life Orb Electrode Focus Blast vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Eviolite Pawniard: 733-863 (317.3 - 373.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252+ SpA Probopass Earth Power vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Electrode: 180-214 (68.9 - 81.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
0 Atk Klang Gear Grind (2 hits) vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Electrode: 60-72 (22.9 - 27.5%) -- approx. 54.4% chance to 4HKO
252+ Atk Pawniard Sucker Punch vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Electrode: 144-171 (55.1 - 65.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Pawniard Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Electrode: 174-205 (66.6 - 78.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

reasoning is that electrode has magnet rise, and has an attraction to electricity. It congregates mostly at electrical power plants to feed on electricity that has just been generated.

Last edited:

MZ

And now for something completely different
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Right now we have focus blast, aura sphere + levitate and focus blast + magnet pull. Please try to not post something that directly outclasses somebody else's work. However, the abilities are different enough so I'll be keeping all submissions. GrimoireGod you can edit your post to not make it so outclassed if you want.

rubsomebacononit

I was cringe and annoying when I was on smogon RIP
is a Contributor Alumnus
Right now we have focus blast, aura sphere + levitate and focus blast + magnet pull. Please try to not post something that directly outclasses somebody else's work. However, the abilities are different enough so I'll be keeping all submissions. GrimoireGod you can edit your post to not make it so outclassed if you want.
sry man, i'll remember to keep that in mind next time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)