The Resistors (peaked #7)

---The Resistors---

---Introduction---

Hi, I'm Chana99. I don't consider myself good at battling or building teams, as I rarely get higher than 100 in the ladder. But this team, The Resistors, has gotten me even up to #7 under the alt midnight blue, which must mean this is good enough to be posted here.

At first I wanted it to be an offense team consisting of Fire-Water-Grass and Dark-Fighting-Psychic cores. It almost worked, but I needed to replace some Pokemon because of my team's weaknesses. This team no longer has the Dark-Fighting-Psychic core, but it is still a team that abuses the resistances of my Pokemon to defeat the opponent, hence the name of the RMT. It actually has an impressive 31 resistances (without using a Steel type!), with no quad weaknesses, and only one type where three of my Pokemon are weak to (Ground).

This team plays like a bulky offense team, but other than Regirock and Skuntank, this team doesn't have anybody investing in their defenses, except for the 4 leftover EVs. Because of that, this is also sort of a hyper offense team, I guess.

---Teambuilding---

The first Pokemon I chose is Emboar. I find the Choice Band set really effective, having used it in some of my earlier teams. He provides the Fire and Fighting types for my two cores.

Next, I added Shiftry. His advantages over Absol and Cacturne are higher speed and HP, as well as access to Nature Power. He provides the Grass and Dark types for my two cores.

Since there is no longer a Pokemon with the Water-Psychic combination in this tier (well Slowpoke, but meh), so I have to use two Pokemon for this. With Gardevoir's recent rise, I decided to use her. She is a decent revenge killer with a Choice Scarf equipped.

The only thing missing from my cores is a Water type, so I decided to put Samurott. He is a good Water-typed set-upper, having the ability to hit Tangela with Megahorn. He is also hard to revenge kill with Aqua Jet.

Drifblim was added to my team without a particular reason, but I'm happy I did. He has three resistances and three (!) immunities and a big HP stat. His AcroBlimp set is really effective, and the only set I would ever use for Drifblim.

The only thing lacking is a Stealth Rock setter and a tank. I found Regirock the most effective one, having greater defenses than Golem and lack of double weaknesses unlike Probopass. He also has access to Thunder Wave to cripple things and recovery in Drain Punch.

After some battles I realized how Spikes and Toxic Spikes bother four of my team members. Because it will hurt me if I replaced Regirock by some mediocre Pokemon such as Torkoal, I just decided to use a grounded Poison type. I replaced Shiftry, as his six weaknesses, frailty, and vulnerability to hazards hurts a lot, by Skuntank, who only has one weakness. He retains the nifty Sucker Punch while having Taunt to bother some things. This time my Fire-Water Grass is no longer complete.

I was disappointed by Gardevoir's performance. Being outsped by other Choice Scarfers is bad, and weather teams are rare anyway. Rotom-S replaced her, retaining the useful moves Thunderbolt and Trick and ability to hit Fighting types (including Scraggy). Now I no longer have any of my two type cores.

I realized that my team doesn't have a Grass and Ice typed move. I searched for something good that uses both, and I found Ludicolo the only good one. Ludicolo is awesome, having unique types giving unique resistances, including a handy quad water resistance. From now on I no longer have to worry about dangerous opposing water types such as Gorebyss. Oh, and Ludicolo also provides the Water and Grass types to my Fire-Water-Grass core, though I think is doesn't work that way.

---The Team---

Emboar (F) @ Choice Band
Trait: Blaze
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Flare Blitz
- Superpower
- Wild Charge
- Earthquake

Choice Band Emboar! I think this is the best item Emboar can hold. Emboar is a fusion of Magmortar and Sawk, having the ability to fire off Fire and Fighting type attacks, a fearsome combination. This makes him the main force of the team, knocking out almost anything that may stand in its way.

The attacks are standard. Flare Blitz is the most used move, having a lot of power. If there is no Flash Fire Pokemon or quad resists or Water typed walls, the game is ended already. Superpower gives coverage and hits more super effectively. Unfortunately I can't spam it as because of the Attack and Defense drop. Wild Charge is for Alomomola and nothing else. Earthquake is just for coverage, hitting predicted Fire-type switch-ins. It is also my only Ground type attack in my team.

I don't know how many EVs I should run, but Emboar is performing well with max offense and speed so I stuck to it.

Skuntank (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Aftermath
EVs: 88 HP / 252 Atk / 60 Def / 76 SDef / 32 Spd
- Sucker Punch
- Poison Jab
- Taunt
- Crunch

Skuntank, my dark type. Dark types are necessary with all the Ghost and Psychics in the tier. Skuntank is here instead of other Dark types because he absorbs Toxic Spikes. He also beats Absol, a terror to everybody. He can also beat physical walls (walls generally) with his decent bulk, Poison Jab for Tangela and Leafeon, and especially Taunt. Though he has only a limited movepool, it is enough for him to take on stall and offense alike.

Sucker Punch is a must on Skuntank, providing much needed priority to finish damaged sweepers. Poison Jab is Skuntank's only physical Poison STAB, but it is handy against Grass types. Taunt is useful against stall teams, preventing them to use anything that might cripple Skuntank or my team. Crunch is used over Pursuit, as it is more powerful, and most Pokemon doesn't switch out anyway in fear of Pursuit. It also has a nifty chance to lower defense, making some 3HKOes become 2HKOes.

I forgot why I have that as the EVs of my Skuntank, but it was the one I withdrew from my box. I guess it gives maximum attack, some bulk, and outspeeding some things. It works out, but if someone could suggest a better spread, I'm open to suggestions.

Rotom-S @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Thunderbolt
- Air Slash
- Trick
- Volt Switch

Standard Rotom-S set. Well, actually this is the standard set for all Rotom formes: Choice item, Max Sp. Atk and Speed, with the moves Thunderbolt/Thunder, coverage move, Trick, and Volt Switch, with Hidden Power an option over anything. This set is Rotom-S's most used set, abusing the ability to outspeed other Choice Scarf users such as Braviary and Sawk, and OHKOing them.

The moves need little justification. Thunderbolt is the standard attack, more powerful than Volt Switch. Sometimes the power and the non-switching is useful. Air Slash is the only thing that Rotom-S should not remove, hitting Fighting types and other types super effectively. Sometimes the flinch hax is also useful to turn the tides of battles. Trick cripples support Pokemon to one move while also removing Eviolites. I use Volt Switch if I want to switch and to scout the opposition.

As said before, this is the standard EVs for Rotom-A. Timid is used to outspeed as much Pokemon as possible, as Modest will make me outsped by +2 Timid Gorebyss and other Scarf users.

Ludicolo (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Swift Swim
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Rain Dance
- Surf
- Ice Beam
- Giga Drain

Standalone rain sweeper Ludicolo. The only rain sweeper that dropped down from RU, and pretty effective at that. The main reason people use him is for his unique typing, giving him decent STABs and neutrality to things that other Grass and Water types are weak to. Alongside his decent movepool, this makes Ludicolo something to be feared.

Ludicolo is really effective in the rain, so I made him have Rain Dance. If Ludicolo can force a switch, I use this to be almost unoutspeedable, while powering up Surf. Surf is used as it is more reliable than Hydro Pump, which has the same accuracy as Stone Edge. It still has power, after being boosted by rain and Life Orb. Ice Beam is coverage alongside Surf, hitting Grass and other types super effectively. Giga Drain is Ludicolo's recovery and Grass type move. It makes Ludicolo last longer.

The EVs are max offense and speed. Modest is because Ludicolo is blazing fast under the rain already.

Drifblim (M) @ Flying Gem
Trait: Unburden
EVs: 252 Atk / 56 SDef / 200 Spd
- Acrobatics
- Will-O-Wisp
- Substitute
- Disable

Fear the Acroblimp! Drifblim has a big HP stat along with his handy immunities and resistances to common types such as Fighting and Ground attacks. Except for the removal of Rock and Steel types, he can support himself along with the team. Anybody unprepared for Drifblim will be swept by him.

The moves are standard for Drifblim, except Disable over Destiny Bond. Acrobatics is a given, being an attack with a one turn powerful attack and Agility, courtesy of Flying Gem and Unburden. It is also boosted after the first attack because Drifblim no longer has an item. Will-o-Wisp deters physical attackers such as Golem and Kangashkan. Substitute is to take advantage of the switches, status, and weak attacks thrown at you. This, along with Disable, can make Drifblim a really annoying thing to face.

The EVs are the standard from the analysis on the site. Max Attack, enough speed to outrun things, and the rest are thrown into Sp.Def.

Regirock @ Leftovers
Trait: Clear Body
EVs: 232 HP / 252 Atk / 24 Spd
- Stone Edge
- Drain Punch
- Stealth Rock
- Thunder Wave

The best lead I've ever used. It has decent attack, unbreakable defenses, and lack of double weaknesses. It also has access to a recovery move in Drain Punch and Thunder Wave to slow down opponents. I have caused too much ragequits with this guy, as he can knock out or paralyze half of the opponent's Pokemon.

Stone Edge is Regirock's STAB move, as he unfortunately lacks Rock Blast. Drain Punch is used over Earthquake because of the recovery it provides. It is useful against other Rock-typed leads and Miltank. Stealth Rock is standard for leads, crippling things such as Charizard and Swellow. Thunder Wave is the reason for the success of this team. It cripples non-Ground and non-Lightningrod Pokemon. Since Golem is the only common Ground type people use, which Regirock beats often, Regirock can really cause havoc on the opposing team.

The EVs are maximum attack to power up Stone Edge and Drain Punch, some speed to outspeed 44 Speed Golem (Ha!) and uninvested base 55's. The rest are put into HP to make Regirock more unbreakable.

---Threats---

Hazards are problematic. Usually I use Regirock's Thunder Wave to slow Garbodor down and use Stone Edge, while Cacturne is handled by Drain Punch. If I can't help it, it will really lower my team's survivability.

Lead Ninjask and SubButterfree can give me trouble. Regirock doen't have Rock Blast, and Stone Edge has a good chance to miss. Only Rotom-S can beat them, but I hate leading without Regirock.

Opposing fast Electric types are also problematic. Lightningrod Pokemon can take advantage of Rotom-S, who is the fastest member of my team that doesn't need a boost. I also don't have a Ground type or anything that resists Electric so they can also be a problem.

Although this team has many resistances, it is actually weak to Choice Banded or Choice Scarfed things if I predict wrong. Outside Regirock, none of my team will enjoy a Choiced super effective move thrown at them.

I might have missed other threats, but usually if something threatens me, I just use my team member's resistances!

---Importable---
Emboar (F) @ Choice Band
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spd
- Earthquake
- Flare Blitz
- Superpower
- Wild Charge

Skuntank (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Aftermath
EVs: 88 HP / 252 Atk / 60 Def / 76 SDef / 32 Spd
- Sucker Punch
- Poison Jab
- Taunt
- Crunch

Rotom-S @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Thunderbolt
- Air Slash
- Trick
- Volt Switch

Ludicolo (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Swift Swim
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
- Rain Dance
- Surf
- Ice Beam
- Giga Drain

Drifblim (M) @ Flying Gem
Trait: Unburden
EVs: 252 Atk / 56 SDef / 200 Spd
- Acrobatics
- Will-O-Wisp
- Substitute
- Disable

Regirock @ Leftovers
Trait: Clear Body
EVs: 232 HP / 252 Atk / 24 Spd
- Stone Edge
- Drain Punch
- Stealth Rock
- Thunder Wave

---Conclusion---

Well, thanks for reading my first RMT! Though this team has gotten me so high up the ladder, it could still use some more improvements, so any suggestion is welcome!

Nice team, Ive also toyed around with a fire/water/grass/dark/psychic/fighting core only with seismitoed, skuntank, emboar, and exeggutor. And i must say that this playstyle is very effective. Your team may have a slight problem with stealth rocks, but i dont know if i want to take anything out for a spinner. The only possibility i see is armaldo over regirock, but you lose out on that bulk, drain punch, and twave.

MMF

Give me the strength to part this sea
Hey there! Really good team! I just have a few changes that I think will help alot. Firstly on Emboar I would run Head Smash/Stone Edge> EQ. It hits Altaria and EQ doesn't hit anything harder that Flare Blitz or Superpower wouldn't already destroy.

Secondly to help with your Electric weakness and to help allievate your SR weakness I suggest running Scarfed Zebstrika over Rotom-S. Now you gain an electric immunity and keep a strong revenge killer. Also helps with beating Sun teams.

If you're not a fan of Zebstrika you could also run Golem over Regirock. You gain an electric immune, keep an SR setter, keep a bird counter, and you get some priority. Not to mention a check to Lead Ninjask with Rock Blast.

Here's the sets:

Golem (M) @ Lum Berry
Trait: Sturdy
EVs: 212 HP / 252 Atk / 44 Spd
- Stealth Rock
- Rock Blast
- Earthquake
- Sucker Punch

Zebstrika (M) @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Lightningrod
EVs: 6 Def / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]/ Hidden Power Grass
- Overheat

Emboar (M) @ Choice Band
EVs: 252 Atk / 6 Def / 252 Spd
- Flare Blitz
- Head Smash/Stone Edge
- Wild Charge
- Superpower

Hey guys, thanks for the rates!

@Full2Half: Yeah, both Rotom-S and Drifblim despises Stealth Rock as they don't have recovery. Unfortunately the paralysis that Regirock spreads is more important than the removal of rocks.

@ MMF Thanks for the suggestions! The accuracy of both Rock-type moves for Emboar is disappointing, but I would consider replacing Earthquake. Zebstrika looks interesting, and I'd try using him over Rotom-S, but I don't think Zebstrika is good against weather teams, as things such as Sawsbuck and Scarf Timid Charizard still outspeed him, while he can't hit Ludicolo super effectively. I also rely on Regirock's paralysis when dealing with weather teams. I'd still try Zebstrika out, because I definitely won't try using Golem!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)