SM OU The Round Table - Mega Gallade + Tapu Lele SM OU Team RMT

The Round Table - Mega Gallade + Tapu Lele Bulky Offense

Introduction

After 7 years of competitive Pokemon battling, I've finally realized that I am no good at it. So instead of grinding hours away on the Pokemon Showdown website ladder to only peak in the 1600s, I've decided to create teams for people, who can more effectively use the team, to use. (And, I find building a team more enjoyable than getting beaten again on the ladder)

Recently, Mega Gallade was released into the metagame that is Sun and Moon OU. And to say its effect was underwhelming is an understatement. Arriving at the same time as Marshadow, Gallade was quickly forgotten (even after Marshadow's ban, Gallade still didn't receive any attention).

But I see the hidden talent in Gallade. In ORAS, Gallade heavily disappointed; with Sableye, Clefable, Tornadus, Mega Pinsir running around, it really couldn't get a foothold in OU. But in the Sun and Moon metagame, I really think Gallade can thrive.

The introduction of Tapu Lele diminished Sableye usage; Clefable is 2HKOed in Psychic Terrain by Zen Headbutt; Tornadus is nonexistent with Tapu Koko; and Pinsir usage has dipped. Gallade can 2HKO many threats with the STAB combination of Close Combat with boosted Zen Headbutt. The usual defensive walls Landorus-Therian, Tangrowth, Tapu Fini, Toxapex are all heavily pressured by Gallade.

Enough about Gallade, here are some of my preferences when I team build.

1. Bulky Offense - I really like the Bulky Offense archetype (my two other RMT teams are also Bulky Offense), because I'm not good enough to play with Hyper Offense, Balance is too bland for me, Stall is a no go.
2. Volt Turn - The team needs to have at least 2 volt turners to keep up offensive momentum and pressure
3. Aesthetic - I always need my team to look nice at team preview, no ugly or discolored Pokemon. So I usually use standard Pokemon, like Landorus or any of the Tapus.
4. Standard - I think my builds are too standard and predictable, so if y'all can help me with a hidden tech that would be greatly appreciated.

I've tested this team at around the 1600s, and I was quite impressed. But there are a few flaws that I hope will be fixed.

Squadron

Gallade-Mega @ Galladite
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Zen Headbutt
- Swords Dance
- Knock Off

Mega Gallade wreaks havoc with this moveset. Close Combat is a high power fighting move capable of getting great damage on most physical walls. Zen Headbutt is also quite high powered especially in Psychic Terrain, and never forget the chance to flinch. Swords Dance to set up and sweep slower teams. Knock Off is extremely spammable, able to get rid of the items of common switch ins, like Tangrowth's Rocky Helmet. And Justified to switch into Tangrowth's Knock Off to gain +1 Attack.
But, Gallade struggles with beating things down without Psychic Terrain boosting its Zen Headbutt, and against priority users who can revenge kill it.

Tapu Lele @ Choice Specs
Ability: Psychic Surge
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Psychic
- Moonblast
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Thunderbolt

Tapu Lele and Gallade have great offensive synergy; Lele providing the Psychic Terrain to power up Gallade's Zen Headbutt. Gallade destroys the steel types Lele have trouble with, and Lele destroys the defensive walls that Gallade have a hard time breaking through. Plus the dual Psychic STAB pressures and wears down so many frequent answers.
Choice Specs Tapu Lele has been so good even from the beginning of Sun and Moon. Psychic Terrain boosts Psychic to insane levels of power. Moonblast as a secondary STAB to KO Fighting and Dragon types. HP Fire for Ferrothorn and getting more chip on other steel types. Thunderbolt for Skarmory and threatening water types.

Magearna @ Assault Vest
Ability: Soul-Heart
EVs: 200 HP / 56 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Fleur Cannon
- Flash Cannon
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Volt Switch

With Tapu Lele and Gallade in the team, the team was quite weak to Greninja, Gengar, Tapu Lele, so I put in an AV Magearna. Since Magearna was released I've always wanted to use its AV set because of its potential to be a Pivot with Volt Switch and switch into Latios. It was basically a much powerful version of SpDef Jirachi with U-turn. However, until now, I've only used Magearna's Shift Gear Z Move set because of its potency as a sweeper.
The set is just a standard Magearna set. Fleur Cannon and Flash Cannon form a STAB core that can hit most things in the tier for a lot of damage, namely Landorus-Therian. HP Fire again for those pesky steels (over Focus Blast because that move never hits for me). Volt Switch for momentum and to bring in my heavy hitters.

Landorus-Therian @ Flyinium Z
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Fly
- Smack Down / U-turn / HP Ice
- Stealth Rock

I needed a Stealth Rocker on this team so immediately I knew I needed to use Landorus-Therian. I think Landorus-Therian has ascended to new heights with the introduction of Z Moves in Sun and Moon. It can effectively get rid of and/or threaten out either AV or Rocky Helmet Tangrowth with Supersonic Skystrike to make way for a late game Keldeo sweep.
Earthquake as primary STAB, great damage on most switch ins with Adamant 252 investment in Attack. Fly as secondary and as Z move Supersonic Skystrike, capable of OHKOing any variant of Tangrowth. Third Slot is torn between Smack Down (helps pressure other Landorus-Therians, Celesteela, Skarmory), U-turn (provides momentum in conjunction with Magearna), HP Ice (to threaten Zygarde and other Landorus-Therians). Stealth Rock for allowing easier 2HKOs for Gallade and Tapu Lele.

Tangrowth @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 248 HP / 212 Def / 48 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Giga Drain
- Knock Off
- Sleep Powder / Earthquake
- Hidden Power [Ice]

I needed a physical wall who could well in conjunction with Magearna, so I chose Tangrowth. With the advent of Sun and Moon and Choice Band Zygarde, Tangrowth has become ever so prevalent and with good reason.
Giga Drain as STAB against water types. Knock Off is spammable, removing items in conjunction with Gallade. Sleep Powder for putting opposing Pokemon to sleep (could be replaced by Earthquake, because Tapu Koko is too much of a threat). HP Ice for Zygarde and Garchomp.

Keldeo-Resolute @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Justified
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Scald
- Secret Sword
- Icy Wind / HP Poison

Then I needed some speed, a glue to threaten out certain Pokemon (Landorus-Therian) and bring in others to chip (Tangrowth, Latios), and a late game cleaner that works well with Gallade and Tapu Lele. And of course, harkening back to the old core in ORAS, I had to pick Choice Scarf Keldeo.
Hydro Pump for a powerful Water STAB. Scald is extremely spammable as always (but it never burns Tangrowth for me), but not as much as ORAS because of Tapu Fini. Secret Sword as secondary STAB, works well with Gallade's Close Combat. And Icy Wind for Latios and Zygarde. (Another option is HP Poison, which the idea I stole from NJNP; it works to destroy Tapu Bulu or chip away at Tapu Fini, but Icy Wind is too useful to give up).

Conclusion

In conclusion, my team is a bulky offensive team with the breaking core of SD Mega Gallade and Choice Specs Tapu Lele, defensive core of AV Magearna and Rocky Helmet Tangrowth, and Keldeo to clean late game.

I have tested this team on the ladder at around 1600, and I can win against certain teams, but many Pokemon are just too much of a threat for this team to deal with, and I'm constantly torn between certain sets.

1. Landorus-Therian's Third Moveslot - choice between Smack Down, U-turn, HP Ice
2. Tangrowth's Third Moveslot - choice between Sleep Powder and Earthquake
3. Keldeo's Fourth Moveslot - choice between Icy Wind and HP Poison.
Threats

Tapu Koko @ Magnet
Ability: Electric Surge
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- U-turn
- Hidden Power Ice
- Taunt

Tapu Koko outspeeds and damages all of my Pokemon, with a powerful Thunderbolt.
Against Tangrowth: 252 SpA Magnet Tapu Koko Thunderbolt vs. 248 HP / 48 SpD Tangrowth in Electric Terrain: 170-201 (42.1 - 49.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
Against Magearna: 252 SpA Magnet Tapu Koko Thunderbolt vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Assault Vest Magearna in Electric Terrain: 127-150 (34.9 - 41.3%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

Celesteela @ Flyinium Z
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Autotomize
- Air Slash
- Fire Blast
- Giga Drain

I have nothing to outright threaten Celesteela, ie a powerful electric type. I must sacrificed HP on my Magearna so I can only resort to Psychic with Tapu Lele into Hydro Pump with Scarf Keldeo. Even then, Celesteela is capable inflicting massive damage.
Against AV Magearna: 252+ SpA Celesteela Fire Blast vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Assault Vest Magearna: 136-162 (37.4 - 44.6%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
AV Magearna's Response: 252+ SpA Magearna Volt Switch vs. 84 HP / 0 SpD Celesteela: 168-198 (47.1 - 55.6%) -- 78.5% chance to 2HKO

Magearna @ Fightinium Z
Ability: Soul-Heart
Timid Nature
- Shift Gear
- Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam
- Focus Blast

A threat with much of the same reasons as Setup Celesteela with Z Move, it just breaks through my walls and my offensive threats are not strong enough to break through its bulk.

Tornadus-Therian @ Life Orb
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Hurricane
- Heat Wave
- Taunt
- Knock Off

Luckily, Tornadus-Therian is not that common in the Sun and Moon metagame, but when I do come up against one, it completely outspeeds and destroys my whole team. AV Magearna is extremely pressured with Tornadus U-turning and constantly chipping away.

Volcarona @ Firium Z
Ability: Flame Body
Timid Nature
- Quiver Dance
- Fire Blast
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power Ground

Volcarona can set up on every one except Landorus-Therian w/ Supersonic Skystrike, and proceed to destroy the team.

---

And form of help on this team is appreciated. I'm not going to be the one to use this team, it's more for the community.

Importable: http://pokepast.es/76b828646e0c554e

Last edited:

IronBullet

Astronomy Domine
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Gallade + Tapu Lele is a great combination and the rest of your Pokemon support them nicely, so props for building a solid team. You've accurately identified the major threats to your team as well, with the biggest ones being offensive versions of Celesteela and Magearna, Tapu Koko and Volcarona. You can also potentially struggle against DD Gyarados with Flyinium Z, as it can get several opportunities to set up against Gallade, Landorus and choice-locked Keldeo.

In order to improve your team's matchup against these threats, I have two Pokemon changes I'd like to suggest. The main issue with the above threats is that Keldeo lacks the appropriate moves to reliably revenge kill them. As such, I think it would be a good idea to replace Keldeo with a Choice Scarf Greninja. Scarf Gren easily outspeeds and KOs +1 Volcarona and Gyarados (the latter with a bit of prior damage), Tapu Koko, and maintain's Keldeo's ability to threaten Landorus, Tangrowth and Latios. I actually think Gren fits your team better than Keldeo thanks to its access to a strong U-turn, which helps keep up offensive pressure and bring in Gallade safely. The standard set of Rock Slide / U-turn / Ice Beam / Gunk Shot should work well here, with maximum investment in Attack and Speed.

My second major recommendation is to replace Magearna with a specially defensive Heatran. A pretty big problem with your team is an inability to seriously pressurise Celesteela. Sure you can knock its item off, but with Flamethrower it is going to cause Tangrowth problems, and all of your other Pokemon are susceptible to Leech Seed. Heatran provides you with a way to immediately threaten it, while also giving you a solid counter to offensive Celesteela, any Magearna without a Fighting move (such as the double boosting set), Tornadus-T and Volcarona. Fightinium Z Magearna will still potentially be a problem, but without Calm Mind it can be taken down by a combination of Gallade and Tapu Lele with their decent special bulk. Apart from Heatran checking the above Pokemon, it also provides you with a valuable Fire immunity, which can come in very handy against WoW users and dissuades Mega Charizard Y and Marowak-Alola from simply spamming their Fire attacks. I'd recommend using the following set:

Heatran @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 248 HP / 220 SpD / 40 Spe
Calm Nature
- Lava Plume
- Toxic
- Taunt / Protect
- Earth Power

I prefer Protect myself for the additional Leftovers recovery and the ability to scout against the likes of Ash-Greninja, but both are good options so you can see what works best for you. 40 Speed EVs gets the jump on Adamant Mega Mawile, and I don't really think you need to be faster than that. Given that Heatran weakens your matchup against powerful Water-types like Ash-Greninja and Keldeo that you previously relied on Magearna to check, I think it would be worthwhile trying out Assault Vest Tangrowth over your current set. AV Tang will wall those two all day along and further lessens your concerns about offensive Magearna. On the downside the reduced Defense investment does make Tang a less reliable check to Zygarde and Garchomp, but Tang's natural physical bulk is still mighty impressive and should stand up against these two regardless, especially in conjunction with Landorus's Intimidate.

Lastly, a cool optional change (credit to Sun for this) would be to put Stealth Rock on Heatran in place of Taunt / Protect and run Swords Dance on Landorus. This would turn Lando into a really fearsome stallbreaker that could be used to blow holes in more defensive teams early on, allowing Gallade and Tapu Lele to clean up more easily later. If you do go this route, I'd recommend running a Jolly nature on Landorus in order to get the jump on Mew that attempt to outspeed Adamant Lando. Also, I would definitely go with Smack Down on Lando for its usefulness in pressuring Celesteela and Skarmory.

Overall, I think these changes will solidify your team against its major threats while hopefully improving its general performance. Apart from that, your team has a solid base and there doesn't seem to be much else that needs adjusting. Great job again and I hope my suggestions help.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)