The Safari Festival (Or, a personal attempt at a metagame)

Lorak

*leekspin*
is an Artist Alumnus
I brought this up in the "Look what I bred" forum, and decided that I should finally go and make a thread about this. I didn't consider this a "simple question", so, this is why it isn't there.

My friends and I are prepping for a certain self-made tournament known as the Safari Festival. Let me copy-paste the rules, but give you the tl;dr version first:

tl;dr: D/P tournament. Catch Safari Zone / Great Marsh Pokemon, Pokemon must be in Safari Balls (no breeding). Level 50 max, no Wobbuffet, no Dragonite, maybe Chansey and Blissey. Item Clause, Sleep Clause, Species Clause.

1. Battles will be conducted in a Singles Battle format, with Pokémon up to level 50 permitted.
2. All Pokémon must be captured from the Safari Zone or Great Marsh of any third- or fourth-generation Pokémon game (Ruby, Sapphire, Emerald, FireRed, LeafGreen, Diamond, or Pearl).
3. As a direct result of Rule 2, no Pokémon may have Egg Moves, or be in any ball other than a Safari Ball. Moves learned from Move Tutors are permitted, such as any third-generation game learning moves from the Battle Frontier Move Tutors. Moves learned by TM or HM are also permitted, as are level-up moves learned at level 50 or before.
4. Pokémon caught in a third-generation game and evolved in that game are not permitted to have fourth-generation abilities. Likewise, Pokémon that do not evolve and come from a third-generation game must not have a fourth-generation ability. (Pokémon caught in a third-generation game and evolved in a fourth-generation game are permitted to have fourth-generation abilities, should the ability switch upon evolving.) The following are thus not permitted in this tournament: Miltank with Scrappy, Pinsir with Mold Breaker, Scyther with Technician, Shuckle with Gluttony, Stantler with Frisk, Tauros with Anger Point.
5. Although available in the Safari Zone of Ruby, Sapphire, and Emerald, Wobbuffet is not permitted to be a member of any team taking place in the tournament. Dragonite, a Pokémon that evolves from Dragonair at level 55, is also not permitted, as a result.
6. No two Pokémon may hold the same item.
7. No two Pokémon may be of the same species. Previous and alternate evolutions are permitted.
8. You may not choose a move that would intentionally put more than one of your opponent's Pokémon to Sleep.
*. Chansey and Blissey are currently in a Limbo status.

Out of the rules, just me copy-pasting what Pokemon are usable, divided by tiers:
OU: Blissey (maybe?), Breloom, Forretress, Gliscor, Gyarados, Heracross, Roserade, Scizor, Yanmega
BL: Ambipom, Azumarill, Donphan, Exeggutor, Houndoom, Miltank, Pinsir, Rhyperior, Slowbro, Slowking, Staraptor, Tauros, Ursaring
NFE: Dragonair
UU: Ampharos, Arbok, Ariados, Bellossom, Bibarel, Carnivine, Dodrio, Drapion, Girafarig, Golduck, Golem, Granbull, Kangaskhan, Ledian, Nidoking, Nidoqueen, Noctowl, Octillery, Parasect, Quagsire, Raichu, Scyther, Seaking, Sharpedo, Shuckle, Stantler, Sunflora, Swalot, Toxicroak, Venomoth, Vileplume, Whiscash, Xatu

Main points I want to address:
  • Gyarados, Blissey, Rhyperior, Exeggutor, Yanmega, Gliscor, Shuckle, and Roserade all have BSTs of over 500. I worry that leaving them in the metagame might make it radically unbalanced.
  • Wobbuffet only has access to Counter, Mirror Coat, Destiny Bond, and Safeguard. Kicking Encore off of it makes it easier to take down, but I'm not sure if it would, again, off-balance the gameplay.
  • Having Dragonair instead of Dragonite gives us a Pokemon with a 420 BST, coincidentally giving us the only Dragon-type Pokemon.
What I want is feedback from the community, on how to make this a fair sort of battling setup.

EDIT: Currently, the main concerns seem to be the following:
Some consider Gyarados to be too potent a sweeper after a Dragon Dance.
Some consider Blissey to be too strong a special wall, and overcentralizes the Special Wall category of the Safari Festival, not allowing other Pokemon to shine.
Some consider Heracross to be possibly too strong, despite losing Megahorn, yet to be discussed much.
Wobbuffet only has Destiny Bond, Counter, Mirror Coat, and Safeguard. Still, some consider Shadow Tag to be a worrysome ability.

cim

happiness is such hard work
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Without Encore, Wobbuffet's pretty bad, you know. No way should it be banned.

BlueCookies

April Fools 2009 Participant
VGC '10, '11, '12 Masters Champion
Without encore though, Wobbuffet becomes a lot less useful. It can no longer use IPL's tactic of struggling the opponent to death, and it can no longer set up the rest of its team. Who cares if the opponent can't switch, Without encore Wobb really will only kill opponents locked into Choiced moves.

Looks like a fun idea, good luck with it.

Lorak

*leekspin*
is an Artist Alumnus
Without encore though, Wobbuffet becomes a lot less useful. It can no longer use IPL's tactic of struggling the opponent to death, and it can no longer set up the rest of its team. Who cares if the opponent can't switch, Without encore Wobb really will only kill opponents locked into Choiced moves.

Looks like a fun idea, good luck with it.
This is along the lines of my opinion, and the attack-countering becomes very guess-y. Still, some of my friends were "OH NOEZ NO SWITCHING PANIIIIIIC", so... yeah.

And thanks, XxBlueCookiesXx.

Actually, its not. Its still Uber because it has no counters.
That's not the point tennis. Without Encore Wobba uses a lot of his usability. Not that it matters.

This does look kind of fun though. I am somewhat scared of a DDGyara though, as it doesn't really look like much could stop it bar HP [Elec] Slowbro and Stone Edge Quagsire. Without Blissey Yanmega looks a little scary, and possibly Exeggutor due to the lack of SS making a Sunny Day
set not completely suck.

A lot of pokemon suck before level 50. Non-Scrappy Miltank with no Heal Bell fails miserably in any metagame, this one included (poor Miltank). Besides the fact Chansey/Blissey stops all special attacks in this metagame, they still don't do anything back. Losing Heal Bell/Aromatherapy just makes it pretty boring as far as pokemon go.

Gogogo theorymon predictions. =/

Lorak

*leekspin*
is an Artist Alumnus
A lot of pokemon suck before level 50. Non-Scrappy Miltank with no Heal Bell fails miserably in any metagame, this one included (poor Miltank). Besides the fact Chansey/Blissey stops all special attacks in this metagame, they still don't do anything back. Losing Heal Bell/Aromatherapy just makes it pretty boring as far as pokemon go.

Gogogo theorymon predictions. =/
Vileplume still has Aromatherapy, if I'm not mistaken... The other issues I ask, concerning the over BST 500 Pokemon. And Miltank's not hitting any Ghosts. No Ghosts in the Safari Zones / Great Marsh. :P

Miltank gets Heal Bell at Lv.48 in DP, where the battling takes place.

cim

Wobbuffet isn't Uber solely because of Shadow Tag. Otherwise, Dugtrio would be too. After all, he has no counters...

He's Uber because he'll either kill the opponent or get something one free turn. Something like Belly Zard. With the ability to just not attack Wobbufett and stall it out, he becomes nearly useless except against maybe some weak Choice Bander or something.

tennisace

not quite too old for this, apparently
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Flyers, Baton Passers, and U-turners counter Dugtrio, as non-steels counter Magnezone.

cim

Uh, under your definition of counter, U-Turners, things that can hit Wobb for SE, and Tracers counter Wobbuffet. Sorry man, you just don't understand at all why he is banned.

Anyway, back on topic. I don't think Blissey will be too broken. Heracross keeps her in check.

Syberia

[custom user title]
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Actually, its not. Its still Uber because it has no counters.
Without Encore, Wobbuffet's only real use is to revenge kill choiced pokemon or pokemon that only have four offensive moves. Anything else can simply stall it out and cause it to be useless, or else stat up all over it without fear of being Encored and set up on.

Flyers, Baton Passers, and U-turners counter Dugtrio, as non-steels counter Magnezone.
They can't switch in, assuming Magnezone/Dugtrio is being used correctly. So no, they don't. But that's not the reason Wobbuffet is banned. Encore is the main reason.

Maybe you should create an entire list of pokemon allowed, this would be extremely helpful.
Agreed. I say this simply because there is a cheat (at least for 3rd generation games) that lets you get Safari balls outside of the safari zone and catch any pokemon in them.

Lorak

*leekspin*
is an Artist Alumnus
Maybe you should create an entire list of pokemon allowed, this would be extremely helpful.
Besides the current list, such as catchable previous evolutions, and not just the final forms, as listed in the OP? Alright.

Complete list: Aipom, Ambipom, Ampharos, Arbok, Ariados, Azumarill, Azurill, Barboach, Bellossom, Bibarel, Bidoof, Blissey, Breloom, Budew, Carnivine, Carvanha, Chansey, Croagunk, Dodrio, Doduo, Donphan, Dragonair, Drapion, Dratini, Exeggcute, Exeggutor, Flaaffy, Forretress, Geodude, Girafarig, Gligar, Gliscor, Gloom, Goldeen, Goldeen, Golduck, Golem, Granbull, Graveler, Gulpin, Gyarados, Heracross, Hoothoot, Houndoom, Kangaskhan, Ledian, Magikarp, Mareep, Marill, Miltank, Natu, Nidoking, Nidoqueen, Nidoran F, Nidoran M, Nidorina, Nidorino, Noctowl, Octillery, Oddish, Paras, Parasect, Phanpy, Pikachu, Pinsir, Psyduck, Quagsire, Raichu, Rhydon, Rhyhorn, Rhyperior, Roselia, Roserade, Scizor, Scyther, Seaking, Sharpedo, Shroomish, Shuckle, Skorupi, Slowbro, Slowking, Slowpoke, Snubbull, Spinarak, Stantler, Staraptor, Staravia, Starly, Sunflora, Sunkern, Swalot, Tauros, Toxicroak, Ursaring, Venomoth, Venonat, Vileplume, Whiscash, Wobbuffet, Wooper, Xatu, Yanma, Yanmega

Pokémon Catchable in Safari Zone / Great Marsh
Ruby / Sapphire / Emerald: Dodrio, Doduo, Geodude, Girafarig, Gloom, Goldeen, Golduck, Heracross, Natu, Oddish, Phanpy, Pikachu, Pinsir, Psyduck, Rhyhorn, Seaking, Wobbuffet, Xatu
Emerald (Not Ruby / Sapphire): Aipom, Gligar, Hoothoot, Houndour, Ledyba, Mareep, Magikarp, Marill, Miltank, Octillery, Quagsire, Pineco, Remoraid, Snubbull, Spinarak, Stantler, Shuckle, Sunkern, Teddiursa, Wooper
FireRed / LeafGreen: Chansey, Doduo, Dragonair, Dratini, Exeggcute, Goldeen, Kangaskhan, Nidoran F, Nidoran M, Nidorina, Nidorino, Paras, Parasect, Rhyhorn, Seaking, Tauros, Venomoth, Venonat
FireRed (Not LeafGreen): Psyduck, Scyther
LeafGreen (Not FireRed): Pinsir, Slowpoke
Great Marsh (D/P): Arbok, Azurill, Barboach, Bibarel, Bidoof, Budew, Carnivine, Carvanha, Croagunk, Drapion, Exeggcute, Golduck, Gulpin, Gyarados, Hoothoot, Kangaskhan, Magikarp, Marill, Noctowl, Paras, Psyduck, Quagsire, Roselia, Shroomish, Skorupi, Staravia, Starly, Toxicroak, Whiscash, Wooper, Yanma

Final Evolutions:

Ambipom, Ampharos, Arbok, Ariados, Azumarill, Bellossom, Bibarel, Blissey, Breloom, Carnivine, Dodrio, Donphan, Dragonair, Drapion, Exeggutor, Forretress, Girafarig, Gliscor, Golduck, Golem, Granbull, Gyarados, Heracross, Houndoom, Kangaskhan, Ledian, Miltank, Nidoking, Nidoqueen, Noctowl, Octillery, Parasect, Pinsir, Quagsire, Raichu, Rhyperior, Roserade, Scizor, Seaking, Sharpedo, Shuckle, Slowbro, Slowking, Stantler, Staraptor, Sunflora, Swalot, Tauros, Toxicroak, Ursaring, Venomoth, Vileplume, Whiscash, Xatu, Yanmega

Unmentioned evolutions not catchable in Safari Zone / Great Marsh, must be evolved from Safari Zone / Great Marsh Pokémon, not final evolutions: Flaaffy, Graveler, Rhydon

Evolves at over level 50, unable to compete: Dragonite

This sounds like a shit storm of face fucking fun. I want in. Great idea man.

EDIT: All the OU teams are going to be the same shit. So will there be a UU tourny too?

Lorak

*leekspin*
is an Artist Alumnus
This sounds like a shit storm of face fucking fun. I want in. Great idea man.

EDIT: All the OU teams are going to be the same shit. So will there be a UU tourny too?
Thanks, I think. xD

Regarding edit: I was thinking so. Remind me how the rule of thumb is... BLs don't show up in UU, by definition? Because that would take out a good chunk of Pokemon...

Agreed, this looks pretty cool. I may use this for a local tournament - I don't know if I'd jump into this one, as it looks like the kind of thing that will get dominated by people with no life who can spend a hundred hours catching stuff.

Lorak

*leekspin*
is an Artist Alumnus
Agreed, this looks pretty cool. I may use this for a local tournament - I don't know if I'd jump into this one, as it looks like the kind of thing that will get dominated by people with no life who can spend a hundred hours catching stuff.
Does that make it better or worse than the ones who can spend hundreds more hours breeding stuff or SRing for stuff?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)