The Scarlet Trio: an in-game BT team

Origin of team name: Starmie, Heatran and Scizor all have red somewhere on their body. Not that it matters though.

---

Natural Cure | Timid | Expert Belt
252 SA, 4 SD, 252 Spd
~ Surf
~ Ice Beam
~ Thunderbolt
~ Psychic

Main roles

- Promptly kill opponent if possible,
- Switch in on Water, Fighting or Fire attacks (unless Heatran is still around).

Offence

Starmie is the "star" of the team. As a lead, it usually OHKOs opponents with frail or average special defences if they take super effective damage from one of Starmie's attacks. There have been many occasions where Starmie single-handedly swept the CPU's team.

I chose Expert Belt over Choice Specs and Life Orb. In order to sweep the opponent's entire team, Starmie needs to be able to switch from one attack to another. If Starmie does not OHKO the opponent, it usually can survive one super effective hit without STAB from the opponent, then finish off the opponent for a 2KO. If Life Orb's recoil is in effect, Starmie is usually OHKOed by such attacks.

I'm surprised with the usefulness of Surf. At first I thought Ice Beam and Thunderbolt would be used more often, but Surf has OHKOed many opponents before they can strike back, since Starmie is pretty fast. Surf washes away all Ground types that would otherwise rape Heatran with nasty 4x effective hits. Flygon is the only Ground type that stands a chance of surviving a Surf from Starmie, but who needs Surf when you've got Ice Beam? Surf also kills all opposing Fire types that would mean the end of Scizor.

Ice Beam is fantastic for OHKOing Dragon types (it's sad how Kingdra is the only fully-evolved Dragon type who does not take super effective damage from Ice attacks). Still, even if the Dragon types manage to slip past Starmie, both Heatran and Scizor resist Dragon type moves. Ice Beam also kills off pesky Grass types that think they can safely switch into Starmie after it has killed the previous Pokemon with Surf or Thunderbolt. Still, I am not too comfortable with leaving Starmie in against Grass types, in case Ice Beam does not OHKO, because Starmie is frail and moves like Giga Drain or Energy Ball will land hard.

Since Starmie will be used to switch in on Water attacks aimed for Heatran and Scizor (when appropriate of course), Thunderbolt can kill the common Water types. My main two concerns are Milotic (bulky with Mirror Coat) and Ludicolo (damn I HATE that thing). So far by chance, Milotic tends to show up as the opponent's last Pokemon, so if I still have my three Pokemon, I usually leave Starmie in and Thunderbolt away. Even if Starmie gets killed by Mirror Coat, Heatran or Scizor can use Explosion and Superpower respectively. Ludicolo is a major problem if Scizor has already been knocked out. Heatran will be OHKOed by Surf if Ludicolo outspeeds it due to Rain Dance. Starmie can't do much in return and will get killed with STAB Grass attacks.

Psychic is the infamous "filler" move, but it does promptly OHKO most Fighting types that would deal a lot of damage to Heatran. Poison types are nothing to Heatran and Scizor, but Psychic is an efficient way of killing them off before they can use their other attacks.

Defence

Starmie may be effective at removing most leads, but of course it runs into leads that it can't land super effective hits on every now and then. I don't always switch Starmie out against Pokemon that it can't land super effective hits on, but sometimes I play safe and switch her out. Below are my usual actions in response to such leads:

Normal types: I usually switch in Scizor on the first turn and the Normal attack does very little damage to Scizor. I then use Bullet Punch (if they are frail) or Superpower (if they are more bulky). Superpower usually OHKOs most Normal types.

Ghost types: I switch in Heatran for the Will-O-Wisp or Shadow Ball. If Flash Fire is activated, Heatran can even kill Dusknoir without much problem.

Dark types: I switch in Scizor, except against Houndoom (who Starmie Surfs away anyway). U-turn kills them pretty efficiently. If Sunny Day is in effect, I switch in Heatran instead. If up against Weavile, I use Surf and hope that it doesn't have Focus Sash to survive.

Grass types: I usually switch out Starmie if against Abomasnow and kill it with Heatran's Flamethrower. If up against Cradily (who can't be OHKOed with Ice Beam), I switch in Scizor and kill with Bullet Punch. Ludicolo can be dealt with by Scizor, as long as Scizor is still alive. Otherwise, Starmie and Heatran are screwed.

Bug types: Most are part Flying, so Boltbeam deals with them, but if Starmie is up against Forretress or Scizor (who fortunately never has Pursuit), Heatran deals with them.

Electric types: Pokemon like Jolteon are a pain, especially if they are the lead. I always switch out Starmie against Jolteon. I usually switch in Heatran, who can take the Thunder Wave with Lum Berry and fight back with Earth Power.

Other options

Grass Knot: Could be used over Psychic, since Heatran can't learn it. Grass Knot can be used to at least 2KO Tyranitar and OHKO Wailord, Swampert and the alike.

Power Gem: It's one of those moves that I love, but have no place on Starmie. 100% accurate Rock moves come in handy occasionally, but the other moves are more important.

Recover: A lot people say that Starmie is bulky. I disagree from experience. Rarely does Starmie get to use Recover and fight back well against an opponent. Psychic has served better than Recover so far.

---

Flash Fire | Timid | Leftovers
4 Def, 252 SA, 252 Spd
~ Flamethrower
~ Earth Power
~ Substitute
~ Toxic

Main roles

- Promptly kill opponents that Starmie can't do so efficiently,
- Kill off Ghosts and Electric types,
- Block OHKO and status abusers with Substitute,
- Switch in on Fire, Steel, Grass, Bug or other effective attacks against Starmie.

Offence

Heatran and Scizor can be used to sponge super effective attacks aimed at Starmie and carry on their role from there. Heatran and Scizor work very well together.

Why Flamethower over Fire Blast or Overheat? Simply because I am playing in the Battle Tower. If moves can miss, they WILL. Dealing with other CPU hax factors is annoying enough and I don't want to have to put up with my moves missing. If Heatran is paralysed/confused or up against someone that has used Double Team, then Fire Blast and Overheat are almost certain to miss (it's as though <100% accurate moves have their accuracy halved). Flamethrower has 15 PP and kills Bug Pokemon that would otherwise kill Starmie. Flamethower is also a great general attack against those who don't resist it. Ghosts can't stand STAB + Flash Fire boosted Flamethrowers from Heatran. Steel types aren't a problem as long as they are OHKOed by Flamethrower before they can use Earthquake.

Earth Power provides extra coverage and kills Steel-trappers and Electric types. It also kills the opposing Fire types that Heatran switches into, who otherwise thought I would keep Scizor in. Earth Power also OHKOs Drapion, who Starmie cannot OHKO and sponge physical hits from Scizor.

Substitute blocks cheap moves like Sheer Cold from killing Heatran as well as poison, paralysis etc. Leftovers will heal Heatran over time. If Scizor is down, Heatran can outstall Blissey with Toxic.

Defence

A lot has been mentioned already in Starmie's profile. Heatran has many resistances and an immunity to Fire attacks, so I love switching in Heatran against opponents trying to kill Scizor with a Fire attack.

However, that 4x Ground weakness is not something to be ignored. I could run Shuca Berry on Heatran, but it is a one-time use. Overall, I'm not too sure about using Lum Berry on Heatran, but it has saved Heatran from being confusion (which is the same as sleep, except you hit yourself for five turns unless you switch out due to CPU hax).

Other options

Flamethrower and Earth Power will definitely stay. HP Grass and Explosion were replaced with Substitute and Toxic, because I do need a staller to back me up if Starmie and Scizor are down and Heatran can't kill the opponent with Flamethrower or Earth Power.

---

Technician | Adamant | Life Orb
4 HP, 252 Atk, 252 Spd
~ Swords Dance
~ Bullet Punch
~ Superpower
~ U-Turn

Main roles

- Switch in on super effective hits aimed at Starmie,
- Kill Dark and Normal types,
- Kill troublesome Pokemon with Superpower (akin to Explosion).

Offence

I do my best to save Scizor for later game sweeping and let Starmie and Heatran do most of the work. After all, it is my only physical attacker and I need Scizor to kill Blissey and other special walls.

Scizor runs on Life Orb, because I don't expect him to stick around for many turns consecutively. He is a bit of a hit and run/die Pokemon.

I only recall two times when I used Swords Dance. It is a bit of a filler move and the Battle Tower battles are rather short. Also, Scizor can't take many hits from opponents, so using Swords Dance on speedy opponents may let them 2KO Scizor. I am thinking of replacing Swords Dance.

Bullet Punch on the other hand, is extremely useful. It usually goes first and with STAB and Technician boosts, it's like getting hit by a train to those who don't resist Steel type moves. Bullet Punch is also the key to Scizor's success in revenge killing, especially if the opponent is low on HP.

Superpower is mainly used to kill Normal types, but it has also saved my team from troublesome threats such as Lanturn (who neither Starmie nor Heatran can deal with) and Ludicolo (not the one that recently ended my streak). Superpower can also be used to deal with Dark types if I don't want to switch Scizor out after the hit with U-Turn.

U-Turn allows Scizor to escape from Steel-trappers. U-Turn will often OHKO Psychic and Dark types. Scizor will then be replaced with Heatran and the opponent switches in a Fire type. Did the CPU think that Scizor would stay in after the U-Turn? Heatran is usually the one to receive Scizor's U-Turn, because the CPU usually switches in a Pokemon with a Fire attack.

Defence

Again, a lot has been mentioned previously in Starmie's and Heatran's profiles as to what Scizor will be switched into. Heatran is more bulky than Scizor, but I will switch in Scizor to take the hit aimed at Starmie if Scizor is more capable of killing the opponent (e.g. Psychic types). I do have to make sure that the opponent does not have any Fire attacks, because any Fire attack will OHKO Scizor.

Other options

Only Starmie seems to have a fixed moveset. I'm still not too sure about Scizor's or Heatran's, but I think some changes may need to be made for me to get a longer winning streak.

Night Slash: U-Turn kills Psychic types, while Heatran laughs at Ghost types. Not much use I guess.

Aerial Ace: Worth considering, now that I remember that it becomes a base 90 attack with Technician. I will think about this one. Useful for slashing those Ludicolo that abuse Double Team.

---

My thoughts

A Pokemon with a resistance or immunity to Ground attacks would be useful to take attacks aimed at Heatran. Latios could replace Starmie, since he is both faster and has more attack power. However, Starmie's Surf is more powerful due to STAB and Latios is vulnerable to Ice and Dragon attacks.

From memory, Water/Ground types like Swampert have been rather troublesome, because my team does not carry any Grass attacks. Although I have not been defeated by a Water/Ground type so far, they have caused me much trouble or led me to a defeat with another Pokemon on their team.

Normal and Electric opposing leads have been very annoying, since Starmie cannot OHKO any of them. With the CPU getting critical hits all the time, Starmie has been OHKOed by Crunch or Thunderbolt from such Pokemon.

---

Case 1 (Loss)

Now, I guess some of you are wondering how I lost to the Ludicolo that I keep complaining about? The opponent had Jolteon, Swampert and Ludicolo (keep in mind that I had no idea what the opponent's team was during the battle though). I promptly switched out Starmie for Heatran and Jolteon's Discharge wiped off about 55% of Heatran's HP. I selected Earth Power, but Jolteon was faster and used Dig. Since Dig would finish off Heatran, I switched in Scizor, who lost about 30% HP from Dig. Discharge reduced Scizor's HP to about 40% and Scizor OHKOed Jolteon with Superpower. Swampert was then switched in.

Since Scizor was already low on HP, I decided to keep him in the battle and do as much as he could to Swampert before getting KOed. I used Superpower again and it reduced Swampert to about 50% HP. Swampert used Surf and KOed Scizor. I then switched in Starmie and 2KOed Swampert with Surf.

Then finally, of every Pokemon the opponent could have, Ludicolo was sent in. My reaction? "OH CRAP!!!" I had Starmie use Psychic (since it would deal the most damage of the four moves) and Ludicolo used Rain Dance to double its speed. Starmie was still faster and used Psychic again, but Ludicolo used Giga Drain and reduced Starmie to red HP, while restoring its own to about 90%. There wasn't much I could do now, so I used Psychic again. Ludicolo used Surf and finished off Starmie.

Ludicolo used Surf on Heatran before I could do anything. Heatran fainted. Streak ended. *Slaps forehead* If I still had Scizor (and knew that the opponent had Ludicolo as his last Pokemon), my streak would not have ended.

Case 2 (Win)

I started a streak again from scratch, but this time with a different Heatran set, with Substitute and Toxic replacing HP Grass and Explosion.

Starmie was up against a Kangaskan. I decided to use Surf and that reduced Kangaskan to about 50% HP. Kangaskan fought back with Thunderpunch, scored a critical hit and OHKOed Starmie.

I sent out Heatran. Flamethrower finished off the Kangaskan and the opponent sent out Blastoise. Without Starmie's Thunderbolt, taking down Blastoise would be much harder, but Heatran's new moveset was a back up should something like this happen. Fortunately, Heatran was faster than Blastoise. Heatran used Substitute, while Blastoise used Double Team. Heatran then used Toxic, so that the Blastoise would die over time even if all my attacks missed. Blastoise continued using Double Team until it reached +6 evasion, while Heatran tried to hit it with Earth Power every now and then. Blastoise then started using Waterfall and broke Heatran's Substitute. However, Blastoise was already taking heavy damage from Toxic, so I kept using Substitute until the Blastoise died from Toxic. That saved my streak!

The opponent's last Pokemon was a Typhlosion. Heatran used Earth Power and it would have been a OHKO, hadn't the Typhlosion held a Focus Band (seriously, why do Focus Bands only work for the CPU???). Typhlosion used Earthquake and OHKOed Heatran. I sent out Scizor and promptly killed Typhlosion with Bullet Punch. Bullet Punch saves the day again.

HP Grass would not have KOed Blastoise before it would KO Heatran with Waterfall. Even if Heatran used Explosion and OHKOed Blastoise, Scizor would never be able to deal with Typhlosion on its own. I'm glad I changed Heatran's moveset.

---

Change Log

01/10/09: For Heatran, HP Grass and Explosion were replaced with Substitute and Toxic. Descriptions edited accordingly. Two cases added.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)